• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Presents: A short look at fonts for advertising

theofficefan99

I know you don't want to believe me or Shinobi but a lot of the information we receive simply can't be accompanied by physical proof. It just isn't there. You may not trust me specifically because of some things said years ago now, but in recent times I have gained a bit more connections and I try not to mention anything anymore unless I am fairly sure it will happen. There is so much more I often never speak of exactly because of the things you are saying.

Well thanks for clarifying, I appreciate it. And sorry if I've seemed rude throughout this topic.

But I just sincerely hope that it does show up at E3 because:

1. It would be incredibly stupid and nonsensical on SE's part
2. We deserve a lot of new info and footage

What I want from Square Enix for E3 2014:

- Dragon Quest VII remake
- Dragon Quest X announced for localization
- Final Fantasy XII HD
- Announcement of a new SaGa game

theofficefan99

No, honestly, though... it makes little sense for SE to not show XV at all at E3. It's been a year and development has been going smoothly, it's their biggest project, it's a mainline Final Fantasy title, and it's the biggest gaming convention of the year. It would make literally no sense for XV to skip E3. I'm sure they can easily whip up a new trailer for it.

GunBR

- Final Fantasy XII HD

They promised something about SaGa this year, but i really doubt that they will announce at E3
(especially because maybe it's a mobile game)

dramatis

No, honestly, though... it makes little sense for SE to not show XV at all at E3. It's been a year and development has been going smoothly, it's their biggest project, it's a mainline Final Fantasy title, and it's the biggest gaming convention of the year. It would make literally no sense for XV to skip E3. I'm sure they can easily whip up a new trailer for it.
  1. What makes you think development has been going smoothly?
  2. What does being their biggest project have to do with showing up at E3?
  3. What part of being a mainline FF title dictates that it will have to show up at E3?

What determines whether or not a title will show up at E3 is usually the readiness of a presentable trailer or demo. Those things take time and resources to produce, and if Nomura is unhappy or unwilling to do so, then you won't get anything. It is more logical given the lengthy amount of time without any news that 15 won't show up at E3, because the lack of news indicates a lack of readiness for presentation.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
please-be-excited-square-enix.jpg
its that in video form.

If we're getting another megaton doubledrop in remotely the same ballpark as XV+KH3, i'm pretty excited.

Also, new console IP, please please please. Then i can finally get a new square jrpg without 99.99% of the discussion about it being how much it sucks compared to old FFs.

theofficefan99

1. What makes you think development has been going smoothly?
  2. What does being their biggest project have to do with showing up at E3?
  3. What part of being a mainline FF title dictates that it will have to show up at E3?

What determines whether or not a title will show up at E3 is usually the readiness of a presentable trailer or demo. Those things take time and resources to produce, and if Nomura is unhappy or unwilling to do so, then you won't get anything. It is more logical given the lengthy amount of time without any news that 15 won't show up at E3, because the lack of news indicates a lack of readiness for presentation.

1. http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...elopment-and-a-high-priority-for-square-enix/

2. Because it's their biggest project? And it was shown last year? Why would it not be at E3?

3. Because it showed up last year at E3 and it's a huge title.

Oh, come on now. With what they've been saying coupled with the fact that it's been a year means that they have plenty of material to make a new trailer with.

dramatis

1. http://www.novacrystallis.com/2014/...elopment-and-a-high-priority-for-square-enix/

2. Because it's their biggest project? And it was shown last year? Why would it not be at E3?

3. Because it showed up last year at E3 and it's a huge title.

Oh, come on now. With what they've been saying coupled with the fact that it's been a year means that they have plenty of material to make a new trailer with.
"Quite far into development" does not equal "smooth and good development". Moreover, that's Kagari's news site, so I think it's clear who has a better idea of what's going to happen with 15 at E3.

Being 'biggest project' is not a logical reason for the presence of a game at E3. Undoubtedly The Division began development years ago at Ubisoft and was most likely their 'biggest project' for at least a year (if not more) before they showed it at E3. Given Square's track record of information dispensing regarding 15 in recent years, it would be more logical to think that 15 will not show up.

"But it showed up last year! And it's a huge title!" Those don't answer the problem of the readiness of the game for presentation that I noted above. The decision to show up at E3 has to be made months prior to the event itself, in order to produce a trailer or a demo. If development was in full swing and the time and resources to produce said material seemed at the time to be a waste, then they will not make a trailer or a demo and will not present at E3.

You're not thinking about this from a developer standpoint or even from the marketing department's standpoint, because if the SE western studios have games that are closer to development completion and are ready for announcement and end-of-year release, then focusing the attention and advertising on those titles would be more beneficial than trying to drag something out of the 15 team for a western show.

theofficefan99

"Quite far into development" does not equal "smooth and good development". Moreover, that's Kagari's news site, so I think it's clear who has a better idea of what's going to happen with 15 at E3.

Being 'biggest project' is not a logical reason for the presence of a game at E3. Undoubtedly The Division began development years ago at Ubisoft and was most likely their 'biggest project' for at least a year (if not more) before they showed it at E3. Given Square's track record of information dispensing regarding 15 in recent years, it would be more logical to think that 15 will not show up.

"But it showed up last year! And it's a huge title!" Those don't answer the problem of the readiness of the game for presentation that I noted above. The decision to show up at E3 has to be made months prior to the event itself, in order to produce a trailer or a demo. If development was in full swing and the time and resources to produce said material seemed at the time to be a waste, then they will not make a trailer or a demo and will not present at E3.

You're not thinking about this from a developer standpoint or even from the marketing department's standpoint, because if the SE western studios have games that are closer to development completion and are ready for announcement and end-of-year release, then focusing the attention and advertising on those titles would be more beneficial than trying to drag something out of the 15 team for a western show.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2014/04...work-on-final-fantasy-xv-proceeding-smoothly/

"On the other hand Final Fantasy Series Senior Producer Shinji Hashimoto confirmed that the production of Final Fantasy XV is on track and going smoothly"

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/08/square-enix-final-fantasy-x-3-state-final-fantasy-xv-dissidia/

"Square Enix producer Shinji Hashimoto says that the development of Final Fantasy XV is going smoothly"

And this is from early April, aka less than 2 months ago.

So that, coupled with the fact that it's far into development and a very high priority within the company, all stated by SE themselves, makes me think that it'd be nonsensical for it to not show up at E3 with a brand new trailer (at the very least) according to what they've been saying/hinting.

That makes no sense in XV's case. Last year at E3 they were already concerned with how to bring out XV as soon as possible. Why would they randomly not show it in order to build hype when they're trying to bring it out ASAP and it's a very high priority, it's far into development, and development is going smoothly?

Yes, I actually am. They need something to keep them relevant and they need to keep the hype alive. It being MIA during E3 will do the exact opposite.

theofficefan99

If we're getting another megaton doubledrop in remotely the same ballpark as XV+KH3, i'm pretty excited.

Also, new console IP, please please please. Then i can finally get a new square jrpg without 99.99% of the discussion about it being how much it sucks compared to old FFs.

Honestly I'd love to see the return of tri-Ace as opposed to a new IP. I need VP3/SO5/IU2

They've got a bunch of Western teams that they either own or work with. You know what they are working on:
- Avalanche: Just Cause 3 after they finish Mad Max for Warner Announced
- United Front: Working on Sleeping Dogs 2: This Time Multiplayer Announced
- Eidos Montreal: Working on Deus Ex 4: This Time Multiplayer Announced
- Crystal Dynamics: Working on Tomb Raider 2 and Lara Croft Downloadable Spinoff 2 Announced, I think
- IO Interactive: Working on Hitman 6 Announced
- Square Enix Montreal: Now entirely mobile, IIRC
- Psyonix: Working on Nosgoth, which is an upgraded version of a downgraded version of a Legacy of Kain reboot Announced

I expect one of their Western studios will announce The Mad and the Monstrous since they filmed a live-action trailer for it last year.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
dramatis is right. Vague statements from Hashimoto aren't really encouraging at this point after a full year of silence. If anything, the silence suggests to me that things aren't going too well - and after watching SE struggle through last generation, it wouldn't be surprising.

theofficefan99

dramatis is right. Vague statements from Hashimoto aren't really encouraging at this point after a full year of silence. If anything, the silence suggests to me that things aren't going too well - and after watching SE struggle through last generation, it wouldn't be surprising.

Well, of course, I can agree with you there. But based on what they've said, and based on what's smart and logical from a business standpoint, I'd say a brand new trailer at E3 should at least be expected.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well, of course, I can agree with you there. But based on what they've said, and based on what's smart and logical from a business standpoint, I'd say a brand new trailer at E3 should at least be expected.

But also from a business standpoint, they have some big western content to show. They undoubtedly want the focus on that for this particular show. FFXV would be better served at TGS.

Some Nobody

I remember him saying something along the lines that we will know soon enough a release window and that people will be happy. Disclosure * I could be wrong or misread

He absolutely said exactly those words, as I remember that post. Seems...inaccurate, to be kind.

- Final Fantasy XII HD

A bunch of stuff about my least favorite property (DQ) would bug me unless it also had news about some other stuff like XV and maybe Star Ocean getting a reboot, and made less moe and more Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

But also from a business standpoint, they have some big western content to show. They undoubtedly want the focus on that for this particular show. FFXV would be better served at TGS.

I thought about this, and yeah I'd be cool with that. It's time for somebody to make TGS relevant again, and Square can help with that.

Overall, I've given up on seeing XV at E3--I don't want my hopes dashed, particularly when I don't even know if the game is coming out next year (it should, but lol).

That said: You mentioned development not necessarily going smoothly. Who's in charge over there? You'd think at this point someone would start to look at bits of the game to chop out. They already said they were trying to go for a series with this game too--cut some of the problematic bits and put them in the next game. Right now, just focus on making a good product and getting it out the door--your "vision" is getting in the way.

theofficefan99

I really don't think so. Why would it be shown at last year's E3, then? E3 is the biggest gaming convention in the world, and FF has strong sales worldwide, not just from one particular region.

theofficefan99

He absolutely said exactly those words, as I remember that post. Seems...inaccurate, to be kind.

A bunch of stuff about my least favorite property (DQ) would bug me unless it also had news about some other stuff like XV and maybe Star Ocean getting a reboot, and made less moe and more Legend of the Galactic Heroes.

I thought about this, and yeah I'd be cool with that. It's time for somebody to make TGS relevant again, and Square can help with that.

Overall, I've given up on seeing XV at E3--I don't want my hopes dashed, particularly when I don't even know if the game is coming out next year (it should, but lol).

That said: You mentioned development not necessarily going smoothly. Who's in charge over there? You'd think at this point someone would start to look at bits of the game to chop out. They already said they were trying to go for a series with this game too--cut some of the problematic bits and put them in the next game. Right now, just focus on making a good product and getting it out the door--your "vision" is getting in the way.

Actually Hashimoto has stated that development has been going smoothly.

Some Nobody

Actually Hashimoto has stated that development has been going smoothly.

Don't believe everything you read. It's his job to say that. Moreover, the game's not out yet. They can't really show you how the sausage is made right now. You'd have to wait until a year or two after release.

I really don't think so. Why would it be shown at last year's E3, then? E3 is the biggest gaming convention in the world, and FF has strong sales worldwide, not just from one particular region.

And, to answer your question: Because Sony wanted it at the same conference where they were showing off the PS4. But that's over now. And supposedly a ton of people have games to show off. Sony supposedly has "at least five", and that's to say nothing of the other developers who will be on stage with them. Square could easily show off Triad Wars and Tomb Raider 2, save Deus Ex 2 and Hitman for Gamescom, and then put FFXV and maybe even KH3 on display at TGS.

...Honestly, I'd kinda prefer it that way. Spread announcements out.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Because SE didn't want to show up to the next generation reveal party with empty hands.

Foffy

Banned
Actually, now that I think about it, with FFXIV now being rebooted and apparently doing well for them, I wouldn't be too shocked if their big Final Fantasy reveal would be an expansion for that game.

Wasn't that hinted to be in the works a number of weeks ago?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Actually, now that I think about it, with FFXIV now being rebooted and apparently doing well for them, I wouldn't be too shocked if their big Final Fantasy reveal would be an expansion for that game.

Wasn't that hinted to be in the works a number of weeks ago?

They started work on the expansion a while back.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Why doesn't SE go back to 2D goodness like the good old days? I mean they can pull it off without all the fancy near-realistic graphics and will probably cost substantially less than having fancy 3D graphics.

They could put it in multiple platforms (PS3/360/PS4/One/Vita/3DS) like Rayman Origins... And wasn't Origins a success (well, basing it off that it had a sequel: Legends)?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
They've got a bunch of Western teams that they either own or work with. You know what they are working on:
- Avalanche: Just Cause 3 after they finish Mad Max for Warner Announced

Slight correction.

Avalanche has two studios. Their second studio in New York is doing Just Cause 3 while their Stockholm studio does Mad Max.

Why doesn't SE go back to 2D goodness like the good old days? I mean they can pull it off without all the fancy near-realistic graphics and will probably cost substantially less than having fancy 3D graphics.

They could put it in multiple platforms (PS3/360/PS4/One/Vita/3DS) like Rayman Origins... And wasn't Origins a success (well, basing it off that it had a sequel: Legends)?

I wish :(

Some Nobody

*sighs* J-RPGs have fallen off enough. This is basically asking them to become completely obscure and irrelevant.

So why would they want to show up at this year's E3 empty-handed, in terms of current gen games they're actually developing instead of just publishing?

Because this year's E3 is only "special" to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. You're acting like there's a difference between developing and publishing to them. No offense man, I like your optimism--but this is your problem. You're reaching for answers now--Square makes money off Tomb Raider/Hitman like it makes money off Final Fantasy. Probably more off the former, honestly.

theofficefan99

They have stuff from Eidos to show along with FF14 content.

Notice how I said developing and not publishing, though. I'm talking strictly about their Japanese-made current gen games.

And I really don't think new content of an already-released cross-gen MMO would satiate anyone's appetite.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Notice how I said developing and not publishing, though. I'm talking strictly about their Japanese-made current gen games.

And I really don't think new content of an already-released cross-gen MMO would satiate anyone's appetite.

They own Eidos. They're not a contracted development studio. They are Square Enix's internal studios.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

You'd be pretty wrong about that one.

theofficefan99

*sighs* J-RPGs have fallen off enough. This is basically asking them to become completely obscure and irrelevant.

Because this year's E3 is only "special" to Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo. You're acting like there's a difference between developing and publishing to them. No offense man, I like your optimism--but this is your problem. You're reaching for answers now--Square makes money off Tomb Raider/Hitman like it makes money off Final Fantasy. Probably more off the former, honestly.

How does that make any sense? E3 is the chance for all developers to show off their games. And not really. And wut... Final Fantasy is one of the best-selling franchises of all time. And it was, in fact, featured briefly in the "Watch Sony's E3 2014 conference"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9Ncf5cApw

Not saying this means it'll show up. Just saying that this shows how Sony is acknowledging that FF is a big seller.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
How does that make any sense? E3 is the chance for all developers to show off their games. And not really. And wut... Final Fantasy is one of the best-selling franchises of all time. And it was, in fact, featured briefly in the "Watch Sony's E3 2014 conference"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-9Ncf5cApw

Not saying this means it'll show up. Just saying that this shows how Sony is acknowledging that FF is a big seller.

Yeah but that means nothing. That video included PS-centric games including a bunch of released stuff that won't be at E3 by default.

KtSlime

That's just it, they aren't going to show off a game that's 2 years out any more than they already have. The Japanese market will not support FF15 before the end of 2015, so there is no need to announce anything new this year in regards to it, and it's way too far out to even think about a time frame.

theofficefan99

You'd be pretty wrong about that one.

I know you're a big FFXIV fan, but you know what I mean. Pretty sure they'll need more than just FFXIV: ARR on their part to satiate fans and stockholders and whatnot. They need to impress. And that won't happen if they only show new content for FFXIV: ARR, which is a game that has already been released, and is a cross-gen game. That's where FFXV would come in (and I guess KH3 to a lesser extent).

theofficefan99

That's just it, they aren't going to show off a game that's 2 years out any more than they already have. The Japanese market will not support FF15 before the end of 2015, so there is no need to announce anything new this year in regards to it, and it's way too far out to even think about a time frame.

Last E3 they were already talking about considering ways to have FFXV released as soon as possible.

theofficefan99

Yeah but that means nothing. That video included PS-centric games including a bunch of released stuff that won't be at E3 by default.

I know. That's why I said it just shows how Sony acknowledges that FF is a big seller, not that it'll show up at E3.

I know you're a big FFXIV fan, but you know what I mean. Pretty sure they'll need more than just FFXIV: ARR on their part to satiate fans and stockholders and whatnot. They need to impress. And that won't happen if they only show new content for FFXIV: ARR, which is a game that has already been released, and is a cross-gen game. That's where FFXV would come in (and I guess KH3 to a lesser extent).

Or other games from their internal studios...this is becoming a very subjective argument.

KtSlime

Last E3 they were already talking about considering ways to have FFXV released as soon as possible.
Who would they sell it to? Let's be really generous and give them an attach rate of 40%, even though the series is in decline, and let's say that it can push just as many consoles as the 13 did, we're at maybe .8 million PS4s, when is best to launch it? If they launch it in fall/winter and a miracle happened and we were up to 1 million PS4s then what, SE blows their load selling ~750,000 copies?, not even half what 13 sold? Yeah, not going to happen, sorry but you're going to have to wait like everyone else.

Foffy

Banned

Isn't this because XV is now a part of the "Versus epic" which already implies sequels? Even so, they probably want a basic framework to make many games off of, so if the foundations are still in progress, so would the plan of a series of games.

Some Nobody

If they're looking at the Japanese market and not worldwide, then that'd be one more in a long line of mistakes being made.

Top Bottom