• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Sponge

Banned
But King K. Rool requests have literally been everywhere. Here, SmashBoards, GameFAQs, Facebook, Miiverse, Twitter, Tumblr, & more. I'd be genuinely shocked if he isn't at least in the Top 5.

Yeah I've seen people on GAF building their narrative as to why K. Rool isn't popular. If that was the case, we wouldn't have even gotten this costume.

Did you? Because this is the only Rhythm Heaven character that should ever be considered for Smash.

latest

I want a monkey

H13M7Xr.png

BiggNife

K Rool costume is hilarious.

For the record I've never ever understood why people want him in Smash so bad. I always thought he was kinda lame.

Neoxon

Did you? Because this is the only Rhythm Heaven character that should ever be considered for Smash.

latest
To be fair, Karate Man would be a bit limited in scope. The Chorus Kids (or the Marshal, or the Monkey) can be more of a clean slate in terms of representing Rhythm Heaven as a whole.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The easier explanation is that this was all information we already knew of. There's no point in making a Direct for the Smash news since the only news on that front is the release date. The Splatoon update, while major, was also info we knew of (mostly), and things like the AC bundle would only suit an all-purpose Direct if there was any real news to be shared yet. We're still relatively fresh from E3 and I wouldn't expect a Direct for anything until August (probably Mario Maker).

Yeah, I'd say this. Also, it's not like we never got this kind of news outside of Directs in the recent past.

Revven

Alright now we can finally have a GAF room for Smash with Tourney Mode. We can have 1v1 room and a 2v2 room that has friendly fire off and stocks. Can we make that happen, GAF? The moment the update goes live? Please? :D

Tourney Mode is probably my most waited upon feature, I'm glad it's finally coming on Friday.

And yay HC64 and PC64! Definitely buying them.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair, Karate Man would be a bit limited in scope. The Chorus Kids (or the Marshal, or the Monkey) can be more of a clean slate in terms of representing Rhythm Heaven as a whole.

Limited in scope in a series that is known to give most of its cast completely original moves?

Alright now we can finally have a GAF room for Smash with Tourney Mode. We can have 1v1 room and a 2v2 room that has friendly fire off and stocks. Can we make that happen, GAF? The moment the update goes live? Please? :D

Tourney Mode is probably my most waited upon feature, I'm glad it's finally coming on Friday.

And yay HC64 and PC64! Definitely buying them.
So this works like Mario kart lobbies?

Revven

So this works like Mario kart lobbies?

Yes, pretty much. The regular Tournament Mode is just called Tournament Mode. Tourneys was always meant to copy Mario Kart 8's tournament mode.

They really should have called it something else because the communication between these two modes have been terrible.

Neoxon

Limited in scope in a series that is known to give most of its cast completely original moves?
The point is that the Karate Man has a pretty solid set of abilities through the multiple incarnations of his minigame, & not much room to expand. The Monkey for example has been in multiple games, so there's much more leeway for him. Likewise, the Marshal is a clean slate for the most part (& the Chorus Kids to an extent, despite having one dedicated minigame).

Neat. Hopefully there will be some upcoming character data hidden in the update code too, I'm excited to see who's next.

Come onnnnnn Snake!

Yes, pretty much. The regular Tournament Mode is just called Tournament Mode. Tourneys was always meant to copy Mario Kart 8's tournament mode.

They really should have called it something else because the communication between these two modes have been terrible.
Awesome thanks!

JoeM86

Neat. Hopefully there will be some upcoming character data hidden in the update code too, I'm excited to see who's next.

Come onnnnnn Snake!

I hope not. If they're not in the update, then don't put them in the code and ruin the surprise.

If they didn't do that with the last batch, and then didn't put the patch out early, we'd have had such awe and amazement at the Ryu & Roy appearance. We were robbed of that.

Rhythm Heaven? For me it's all about...

Yeah I've seen people on GAF building their narrative as to why K. Rool isn't popular. If that was the case, we wouldn't have even gotten this costume.
Yeah, thank heck for all those people begging for a low poly Virtua Fighter character or we'd never haven gotten those and now that we have the costume the unending wave of VF low poly posts will finally stop >.>
Someone's definitely writing their own narrative here but I don't think it's the 'anti-Roolers' :p

Neoxon

My issue with the whole "Mii Costume Characters Can't Be Playable" argument is that, as stated before, it'd only leave veterans, third parties, super-obscure characters, & characters from failed franchises. Some are already saying that Smash is scraping the bottom of barrel. While they aren't exactly correct right now, this instance would prove them right.Plus there's the Link Mii Costume, the fact that Sakurai is a known troll, & the Meta Knight Mii Mask that was shown before Meta Knight himself. I wouldn't worry too much about King K. Rool or the Inklings, NeoGAF.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The point is that the Karate Man has a pretty solid set of abilities through the multiple incarnations of his minigame, & not much room to expand. The Monkey for example has been in multiple games, so there's much more leeway for him. Likewise, the Marshal is a clean slate for the most part (& the Chorus Kids to an extent, despite having one dedicated minigame).

So Karate Joe having a set of moves to draw inspiration from is now a negative.

At one time people would say a character had no chance because they had no moves (and then Captain Falcon gets brought up as a counter argument) but now you're saying Karate Joe just has too many!

He punches, kicks and has a punch/kicks combo. That's a few standard attacks taken care of. If they want to rep Rhythm Tengoku in general (though most other characters tend to represent themselves rather than a whole game universe) they have plenty of move slots to work with.

I hope not. If they're not in the update, then don't put them in the code and ruin the surprise.

If they didn't do that with the last batch, and then didn't put the patch out early, we'd have had such awe and amazement at the Ryu & Roy appearance. We were robbed of that.

Eh it was still pretty amazing when people found Street Fighter music in the code. Eh. EHHHHH. I just wanna know who's next!

woopWOOP

The reveal tomorrow was likely the Dr. Mario stage, but that already leaked.
Oh wow, I missed those pictures. Stage looks cool (I'm guessing pills constantly fall down on the stage?), also nice that a (seemingly) cut stage could still come back after all.

Also Karate-man as RH fighter would be a fate worse than a RH costume only.

Neoxon

So Karate Joe having a set of moves to draw inspiration from is now a negative.

At one time people would say a character had no chance because they had no moves (and then Captain Falcon gets brought up as a counter argument) but now you're saying Karate Joe just has too many!

He punches, kicks and has a punch/kicks combo. That's a few standard attacks taken care of. If they want to rep Rhythm Tengoku in general (though most other characters tend to represent themselves rather than a whole game universe) they have plenty of move slots to work with.
My point is that as far as Rhythm Heaven goes, why just has someone who punches when you could have someone who could have someone who could pull out the books used by the Study Cheer Leaders? Why just have someone who kicks when you could have someone roll around like the Rolling Seals? These things would seem weird coming from Karate Joe, but not as much from the Marshal, the Rhythm Monkey, or the Chorus Kids. Though Karate Joe does at least deserve points for, like you said, being a recurring figure throughout the Rhythm Heaven franchise.

woopWOOP

Why would one of the main reaccuring characters from the Rhythm Tengoku series be a bad thing?
Karate guy punching things on rhythm isn't my idea of representing RH. The franchise is wacky, they need a character to better represent it's wackiness and there's plenty of other main recurring characters for that. Go the G&W/Villager route and have a wacky character pull off wacky shit for all it's A and B attacks.

Same reason I wouldn't like the Takamaru-looking-Samurai guy from RH when, well, Takamaru himself is a way better choice with cooler options.

DrArchon

This must be the 1st time K.Rool has shown up in any non-trophy form since Mario Baseball. Glad to see someone remember him. Maybe we can get him for DKCR3...

Dr. Mario stage looks cool. Wasn't expecting any new stages here to be honest but I'll take it.

Revven

Don't discount K. Rool just because of a Mii Costume lol. I like to think it increases his chance because it shows they acknowledge him and everything.

Neoxon

Karate guy punching things on rhythm isn't my idea of representing RH. The franchise is wacky, they need a character to better represent it's wackiness and there's plenty of other main recurring characters for that. Go the G&W/Villager route and have a wacky character pull off wacky shit for all it's A and B attacks.

Same reason I wouldn't like the Takamaru-looking-Samurai guy from RH when, well, Takamaru himself is a way better choice with cooler options.
This. Rhythm Heaven has a diverse group of minigames with premises that range from somewhat average to outright insane. I want all of that to be represented like what was done for the Game & Watch games and Animal Crossing.

Don't discount K. Rool just because of a Mii Costume lol. I like to think it increases his chance because it shows they acknowledge him and everything.
This guy gets it. Same applies to the Inklings as well.

Truly the costume we deserve.

I'm psyched about Hyrule Castle though, can't wait to play it. Now we just need Sector Z and Saffron City.

My issue with the whole "Mii Costume Characters Can't Be Playable" argument is that, as stated before, it'd only leave veterans, third parties, super-obscure characters, & characters from failed franchises. Some are already saying that Smash is scraping the bottom of barrel. While they aren't exactly correct right now, this instance would prove them right.Plus there's the Link Mii Costume, the fact that Sakurai is a known troll, & the Meta Knight Mii Mask that was shown before Meta Knight himself. I wouldn't worry too much about King K. Rool or the Inklings, NeoGAF.

By utter technicality, this doesn't quite deconfirm K. Rool, but it's not a good look. Not a good look at all.
It's very obvious this is just a bone being thrown to some of the more popular ballot characters, in a "yeah we know these guys are popular, but we're not -really- going to put them in the game, c'mon, have these mii costumes as a consolation prize" sort of way. The fact that K. Orpse was revealed alongside a Chrom costume should tell you everything.

Sakurai doesn't really troll like that either, and no, the leadup to Ridley doesn't count at all. Sakurai couldn't have made that more obvious, y'all did that to yourselves.

I've been avoiding online matches because I totally suck at this game, but the tournament mode sounds really fun. I guess I'm ready to be destroyed by my fellow gaffers.

Neoxon

By utter technicality, this doesn't quite deconfirm K. Rool, but it's not a good look. Not a good look at all.
It's very obvious this is just a bone being thrown to some of the more popular ballot characters, in a "yeah we know these guys are popular, but we're not -really- going to put them in the game, c'mon, have these mii costumes as a consolation prize" sort of way. The fact that K. Orpse was revealed alongside a Chrom costume should tell you everything.

Sakurai doesn't really troll like that either, and no, the leadup to Ridley doesn't count at all. Sakurai couldn't have made that more obvious, y'all did that to yourselves.
But then there's the point that I brought up earlier. Besides veterans, a Rhythm Heaven rep, & third parties, who else is there that wouldn't be seen as scraping the bottom of the barrel? Nintendo already has characters from every single third party friend they have left in Smash (except maybe Atlus & to an extent Square-Enix), & most of the franchises left are dead ones (which Sakurai has stated he is less likely to go through the trouble of adding).

AHAHAHA oh man and after all that trademark discussion! Sorry, K. Rool guys.

Mii costume looks mighty cool, though. And I'm surprised those stages are coming so soon!

foltzie1

Holy shit k rool

They know he exists

But he has been killed and skinned by the roving band of big game Mii Hunters.

DK only wanted his bananas back, the Miis though, they want to drape themselves in the skins of the fallen.

What slight must Isabelle have given the Mii's to be hollowed out and used as suit for fighting?

That K. Rool shit is making me super salty. Not necisarrily because it's just a costume (i think he still has a chance) but because we are getting more Mii outfits. Why the hell aren't we getting costumes and alts for actual Nintendo characters? Something we can actual use online. Because the fact is you can't use Miis online, so a huge portion of your audience won't use or buy these outfits. Seriously just give us alts for characters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With regards to what? The poll? The mii fighter costume? Your post literally makes zero sense. If it's about the poll you can see my reasoning behind why it's still relevant by reading the rest of the posts in the thread.

The context of the polls. People already posted why though.

That K. Rool shit is making me super salty. Not necisarrily because it's just a costume (i think he still has a chance) but because we are getting more Mii outfits. Why the hell aren't we getting costumes and alts for actual Nintendo characters? Something we can actual use online. Because the fact is you can't use Miis online, so a huge portion of your audience won't use or buy these outfits. Seriously just give us alts for characters.

You can use them online, just with friends.

Revven

Technically with Tourney Mode you should now be able to use Miis online against randoms. This is assuming they aren't jerks and locked them out of that mode specifically as well (a mode where you set the rules... come on lol).

Technically with Tourney Mode you should now be able to use Miis online against randoms. This is assuming they aren't jerks and locked them out of that mode specifically as well (a mode where you set the rules... come on lol).
I hope. It's always bothered me Miis aren't available with randoms.

K. Rool is just... :'(

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
But then there's the point that I brought up earlier. Besides veterans & third parties, who else is there that wouldn't be seen as scraping the bottom of the barrel.

This is one of those impossible questions because people will argue any character is or isn't worthy of Smash.

Is Chibi Robo, hero of multiple title and even an Amiibo worthy?
Is Mallo, hero of multiple titles worthy?
Is Donkey Kong Jr, a big past Nintendo name but completely unheard of now worthy?
Are series already represented with one character like Wario Ware or FZero worthy of a second rep?
Are series with a lot of representation like Mario, Zelda and Pokémon in need of more?

Top Bottom