• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
That's what I've been asking and so far only one person has given me a hilariously mediocre list in this thread.
Who are you to say my wish list is mediocre? Don't be a big bully.

If that Doc stage is fake, it's ridiculously well done

1. The models are point perfect.
2. The music selection is logical and ambitious without being ridiculous
3. The stage is simple enough to work on both the 3DS and Wii U, which is important.

Also it's not the usual 'fight in the bottle' idea that was basically every Dr Mario stage suggestion I've ever seen.

Thats the problem, there really is no current poll that accurately reflects the millions of people who've bought smash wiiu/3ds world wide. The closest we're going to get would be the smash ballot if those results get posted and that also assumes that Nintendo isn't allowing people to vote the same character over and over again. The burder of proof isn't on us to find a more accurate poll, its on you to prove why those polls should hold up as accurate. Look into what goes into verifying how accurate a poll is and you'll see none of the above really does that. Even then 24,000 votes out of 4 million sold copies isn't even 1% of that. Yes I realize that some people bought both copies of smash wiiu and 3ds, but there is also no way to know if the 24,000 who voted even own either copy.

What if I were to poll the next 100 posters on their number 1 most wanted dlc character for smash 4? If I get 70 responses saying they want e shop bag would you conclude that 70% of the smash user base wants e shop bag in smash? Probably not you'd want a bigger sample size with a wider variety of opinions then just those on gaf in this thread. Thats why we question those polls you posted.
The issue isn't really sample size so much as the fact that these polls are super non-random and thus can't be said to be representative of the greater population. Sample size is actually far less important than this. In fact, when it comes to sample size, the actual number of samples is more important than what percent of the population it makes up. Unless you get into sample sizes so big that they're pretty much a census of course

Clefargle

Then start listing them, because the characters left at this point are second fiddle, third party or from irrelevant franchises.

Ridley
ASHLEY
Balloon Guy
Midna & Wolf Link
Dark Samus (or any hunter)
Dixie Kong
Issac
Daisy
Isa Jo/ Saki
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Snake
Wolf

Seriously, if K. Rool gets in before any of these guys, it's a travesty. All of these chars deserve it more.

But again I ask, who else is there? Most (not all) of the remaining options are second-string character, characters from failed franchises, or third parties.

Could see a reworked Chorus Kid as DLC, seems like too cool a concept to be completely discarded. Dixie is still pretty feasible and a new Zelda character would be tits, Impa, Tetra or a wildcard. Bandana Dee seems quite popular too.

KHlover

Banned
Have you considered there might be a lot of the same people voting in all those places? These aren't isolated communities and many frequent multiple forums

Yeah I'm here, on reddit, twitter, facebook, (tumblr) and miiverse. Everyone can make an account OR MULTIPLE on each listed website (except miiverse) in minutes or less. Those polls are worthless to accurately gauge interest in each single character, their use lies more in getting the general gist of what fans might want. Saying K. Rool is the Xth most requested character just because he had that spot in those polls is laughable.

We also need to take into account that all of those polls could have been manipulated by 4chan for shit and giggles. See the recent Disney Infinity poll for example, which at this point is a contest decided by whose fanbase (MABEL vs Lamewing Duck) has more talented hacker fans as both sides are manipulating the poll. King K Rool and Ridley are obvious choices for such fuckery
since their fanbases shed delicious tear after each disappointment and 4chan lives off that

Makes me wonder just what character we're actually going to end up with from the ballot, lets say for instance that K.Rool isn't as heavily requested as some might think, then who's leading this circus of madness? Bracing myself for Waluigi or a some secondary Zelda character of the month.
Or Shrek.

Oh that Dr Mario stage looks neat.

Yeah I'm here, on reddit, twitter, facebook, (tumblr) and miiverse. Everyone can make an account OR MULTIPLE on each listed website (except miiverse) in minutes or less. Those polls are worthless to accurately gauge interest in each single character, their use lies more in getting the general gist of what fans might want. Saying K. Rool is the Xth most requested character just because he had that spot in those polls is laughable.

We also need to take into account that all of those polls could have been manipulated by 4chan for shit and giggles. See the recent Disney Infinity poll for example, which at this point is a contest decided by whose fanbase (MABEL vs Lamewing Duck) has more talented hacker fans as both sides are manipulating the poll.

Yep. Especially with the blatant campaigning that characters like K Rool get that encourages posting on any poll you can find and spreading the word. Stuff like that can easily make a character seem far more popular than they actually are

Kouichi

Awesome! Been waiting so long for Tourneys. And the new stages are going to be so good. Finally, a Dr.Mario stage <3

Also wow, they actually made a King K Rool costume. And it's based of his older design. I don't know if that's a positive or negative sign for his inclusion haha

We're all forgetting the most important part...

This seems to be a simple stage and another one to chuck into the 1986-1990 All Star pool which has run ending stages on the Wii U.

Rejoice Hard Mode runners!

The issue isn't really sample size so much as the fact that these polls are super non-random and thus can't be said to be representative of the greater population. Sample size is actually far less important than this. In fact, when it comes to sample size, the actual number of samples is more important than what percent of the population it makes up. Unless you get into sample sizes so big that they're pretty much a census of course

I realize that, but the guy is citing 2 polls 1 with 400 counted posts and 1 with an unknown number of counted posts. As I said before a lot goes into an accurate poll, thats something some people here have a hard time grasping.

I realize that, but the guy is citing 2 polls 1 with 400 counted posts and 1 with an unknown number of counted posts. As I said before a lot goes into an accurate poll, thats something some people here have a hard time grasping

Oh I agree. Just noting that the actual percent of total population is usually fairly irrelevant if the sampling is done properly

I should have specified, second string in popularity. King K. Rool has been requested by many for years, even back in Melee.
Popular based on what? Famitsu doesn't agree, they'd rather have Viridi and Hatsune Miku apparently :p
Joking aside, Geno's been 'popular' for years by the same anecdotal metrics, it doesn't mean he's actually popular or heck, even all that well known as the number of people who've probably played mario rpg is likely minimal :/

As far as other nintendo characters go there's still tonnes even from already repped franchies that'd go down well. It's rare you don't see people discussing their favourite fire emblem characters or pokemon and Isabelle is everywhere in Nintendo's own marketing these days due to her uptake. You can't even argue they're not as valid due to having reps already because DKC already has DK and Diddy too :p

I just don't see anything that marks the plasticine crocodile king as remarkable as far as choices go.

greg400

Banned
Who are you to say my wish list is mediocre? Don't be a big bully.

:lol, aren't you the one that started that stupid eshop bag shitpost?

Considering half of this thread is pointing out that K Rool must be one of the most popular choice therefore should be a fighter rather than a costume they basically are.
Should be, not must be like you were implying in your previous post.

Thats the problem, there really is no current poll that accurately reflects the millions of people who've bought smash wiiu/3ds world wide. The closest we're going to get would be the smash ballot if those results get posted and that also assumes that Nintendo isn't allowing people to vote the same character over and over again. The burder of proof isn't on us to find a more accurate poll, its on you to prove why those polls should hold up as accurate. Look into what goes into verifying how accurate a poll is and you'll see none of the above really does that. Even then 24,000 votes out of 4 million sold copies isn't even 1% of that. Yes I realize that some people bought both copies of smash wiiu and 3ds, but there is also no way to know if the 24,000 who voted even own either copy.

What if I were to poll the next 100 posters on their number 1 most wanted dlc character for smash 4? If I get 70 responses saying they want e shop bag would you conclude that 70% of the smash user base wants e shop bag in smash? Probably not you'd want a bigger sample size with a wider variety of opinions then just those on gaf in this thread. Thats why we question those polls you posted.
I'm not going to waste my time repeating myself, I've already indicated why I think the poll I posted is still relevant information after the post you just quoted. If you want to disagree with that cool, bringing up the eShop bag is ridiculous.

Balloon Guy Possibility, if only for Iwata
Midna & Wolf Link Possibility, Ghirahim more likely
(any other hunter) Not likely, I like Sylux but no one gives a shit about those characters
Dixie Kong I already mentioned her and do think she's another top choice
Issac Golden Sun never had much relevancy, but sure
Daisy Peach re-skin exists, but could be a clone they push out with little effort
Isa Jo/ Saki :lol

Seriously, if K. Rool gets in before any of these guys, it's a travesty. All of these chars deserve it more.
Comments above, removed characters that are already in the game (assist trophies/bosses) or in past games.

So that brings it down to the following characters being a possibility:
Inkling
Dixie Kong
K Rool
Wonder-Red
Isaac
Zelda Character like Ghirahim
Balloon Fighter (a stretch)

Slim pickings.

Ridley
Balloon Guy
Midna & Wolf Link
Dark Samus (or any hunter)
Dixie Kong
Issac
Daisy
Isa Jo/ Saki
Squirtle
Ivysaur
Snake
Wolf

Liking some of those picks though the lack of Ashley makes me sadface :(
I'm biased to liking what you post just because you have a mawile avatar though :3

kirby_fox

Banned
That costume really just adds to my idea that Sakurai thinks adding costumes in is like adding the character. The fan service comment was likely about adding in costumes rather than a plethora of characters who will get an amiibo.

With that, I guess we'll be getting Ridley, Takamaru, Waluigi and Geno costumes.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Then post your own polls that say otherwise, you can't cry foul of information being posted then not provide anything yourself beyond (ironically) your own anecdotal evidence about how Tropical Freeze may have changed their opinion for whatever reason.

There's really 4 characters at this point that I can see even winning this ballot that aren't returning from Melee/Brawl:
K. Rool
Inkling
Dixie
Wonder-Red

Dixie may have ultimately supplanted K. Rool but completely ruling out his possibility because of a Mii costume when the Inkling still has a very high chance is a bit disingenuous.

The thing is you are forgetting the context on how internet works.

That costume really just adds to my idea that Sakurai thinks adding costumes in is like adding the character. The fan service comment was likely about adding in costumes rather than a plethora of characters who will get an amiibo.

With that, I guess we'll be getting Ridley, Takamaru, Waluigi and Geno costumes.

I actually wouldn't mind the costumes so much if you could actually play with your Mii online. My poor inkling is stuck offline (worth it though, I did a much better job than nintendo's cruddy mii and actually had someone walking past stop in their tracks and go "wait... what? when did they add the inkling???" thinking it was a legit character XD )

greg400

Banned
The thing is you are forgetting the context on how internet works.

With regards to what? The poll? The mii fighter costume? Your post literally makes zero sense. If it's about the poll you can see my reasoning behind why it's still relevant by reading the rest of the posts in the thread.

Jawmuncher

I actually wouldn't mind the costumes so much if you could actually play with your Mii online. My poor inkling is stuck offline (worth it though, I did a much better job than nintendo's cruddy mii and actually had someone walking past stop in their tracks and go "wait... what? when did they add the inkling???" thinking it was a legit character XD )

Yeah this is my biggest issue with them trying to push Mii Costumes. They themselves are screwing over people from buying them.

I'm sure this isn't the last we'll see of K.Rool in smash, after all the Kaptain K.Rool gunner costume must be up next.
They'll use the same mii but this time the grin is bigger than before.

Yeah this is my biggest issue with them trying to push Mii Costumes. They themselves are screwing over people from buying them.
Definitely! Same goes for custom moves... they just seem to have half-assed it in general like they stuck it in grudgingly :/

I can't even use my inkling in tournaments that allow miis because the dlc pieces don't transfer with your mii if they haven't bought the DLC on it too, even if it's patched up to the version that actually includes said content and allows you to see friends using the content if you play them online -.-

Dr. Mario finally gets a stage. It'd be cool if they made it so that every character in the game has a "home" stage. Though they might have to add some more Pokemon and Fire Emblem stages.

Smash already has super irrelevant characters to their franchise in there

Shiek up until Hyrule Warriors (which started development after Smash 4) had only been a support character in the second half of OoT.

Zero Suit Samus was only playable in a very small sequence of zero mission and has only appeared in endings/openings/death scenes

Also if you want to talk about irrelevant franchises

Every Mother character is more relevant thanks to Smash then they ever were for the Mother franchise. Had Ness not been in Smash 64 we'd probably joke/laugh about the idea of a Mother character being playable the way people laugh/joke about Nintendo's various other minor series.

Captain Falcon is only relevant anymore thanks to Smash as his series is currently dead. Had Captain Falcon not been in the first two smash games we would laugh at the idea of him or his franchise getting a playable character.

Pit's franchise and Little Mac's franchise were dead at the time brawl and thanks to Brawl both got a second wind and are back.

So lets not dismiss the b tier franchises or "irrelevant" characters as clearly Sakurai and Nintendo don't care about those things either

Yuuuuuuuuuuus Hyrule Castle finally returns! :D

It's like twelve polygons, it's hilarious to look at. Porting these stages straight from the Nintendo 64 is jarring as fuck.

Something like the Project M Hyrule Castle update is probably too much to ask for - and kind of unnecessary really - but it is funny to see the difference.

CQGUD7J.jpg

Project M Hyrule Castle had Kaepora Gaebora? now I'm feeling really let down by this simple N64 edition returning.

Oh well, now we wait for the my music list.

greg400

Banned

Shiek up until Hyrule Warriors (which started development after Smash 4) had only been a support character in the second half of OoT.

Zero Suit Samus was only playable in a very small sequence of zero mission and has only appeared in endings/openings/death scenes

Every Mother character is more relevant thanks to Smash then they ever were for the Mother franchise. Had Ness not been in Smash 64 we'd probably joke/laugh about the idea of a Mother character being playable the way people laugh/joke about Nintendo's various other minor series.

Captain Falcon is only relevant anymore thanks to Smash as his series is currently dead. Had Captain Falcon not been in the first two smash games we would laugh at the idea of him or his franchise getting a playable character.

Pit's franchise and Little Mac's franchise were dead at the time brawl and thanks to Brawl both got a second wind and are back.

So lets not dismiss the b tier franchises or "irrelevant" characters as clearly Sakurai and Nintendo don't care about those things either
Those characters were all in place before Sakurai said this last year:
"Characters from a series that has no future are rarely chosen. Also, fighters that switch models are a different matter."
http://kotaku.com/smash-bros-creator-explains-how-characters-get-on-the-1644208199

Returning veteran characters that people expect are also a different story.

Besides the fact that only character that I said irrelevant in that list was Isaac and I still kept him in.

I mentioned Ashley in my list but it was called a mediocre suggestion. ;__;
Not the ashley I had in mind, but I did enjoy the Another Code series and it'd be fun to see how Sakurai could puzzle out a moveset for her. I suspect she'd just get captain falcon's moveset because after Ganon, why the hell not :p

Neoxon

Quite the contrary, Sakurai already said that he's less inclined to add someone who has no future.

Not the ashley I had in mind, but I did enjoy the Another Code series and it'd be fun to see how Sakurai could puzzle out a moveset for her. I suspect she'd just get captain falcon's moveset because after Ganon, why the hell not :p

Kyle Hyde might be more obvious, if only because he's probably packing.

Quite the contrary, Sakurai already said that he's less inclined to add someone who has no future.
I thought half the reason that there were K Rool 'Kampaigns' was because his fans were terrified that he didn't have a future and getting him in Smash was the only way of showing he was still relevant and having any hope of fixing that? :p

woopWOOP

Hyped for the N64 stages

Lol at the K.Rool outfit. It's probably one of the few I'll buy tho.

Wonder-Red mii costume reveal tomorrow

Honestly thought i was the only one hype for a sec.
Nope, I squealed in delight when that turned up in the direct. I'd been meaning to make it in custom levels for a while now but noting that we couldn't make background pieces to form the castle left the few that have been made looking a bit empty.
So glad to have it back properly :D

Top Bottom