• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SSB for 3DS & U - Tourney Mode, Youtube Replay DLC Stages and Mii Costumes (K. Rool)

Less than 15 minutes to go before this 1v1 For Glory - Medium (Stock) online tournament I entered starts.

The wait time originally was like 30 minutes. I have very little patience. I find it funny that it warns you not to disconnect at the less than one minute mark. Like who on earth would wait all this time then disconnect?!?

From what I'm reading, her d-tilt got a dmg buff.
Yeah. Took me far too long to realise the first attack is probably her jab based on the numbers you mentioned :3
I've been reading multiple hitbox entries as multiple hit attacks, but they're all just being checked on the same frame so now i just feel silly :p

MrPanic

Yeah, tried it out but I'm afraid not being able to force 1v1 in custom tourneys kills any interest I had in this mode. Regular tourneys just suck, I'm not dealing with these wait times.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Besides ignoring the fact that people can't setup tournaments for the standard 1v1 metagame, the real issue in having four players from my experience in 2v2 For Glory is the amount of lag you're liable to have over playing 1v1.

Also.. no option for team battles (am I blind?), although few people probably care.

This update is such a mess. We finally get the Tournament mode that was promised before the Wii U version's release, and it's online only and with a bunch of arbitrary limitations that make it nigh-on useless. Not to even mention the Youtube uploading stuff...

Ah well, at least the retro stages are cool. I like how the new textures look on the low-res stages, it has a neat feel to it. And the remixes are amazing.

"You have been removed from this tournament due to a timeout"

WHAT THE FUCK.

Wow guys, whatever you do, do not let the time run out when the match starts. Neither player will progress in the tournament regardless of who had the lowest percent. I had atleast 50% less than him. When it ended.

Waited all that time, to play a 3 minute match, and have it end via a timeout(not intentional) where I should have won but for some reason that's how for online 1v1 for glory mode online tournament works. Not only that but when it ends with a timeout a replay isn't available.

NoKisum

It's also Wii U only

That much I gathered since they said such in the 50 Facts Extravaganza video. But I didn't think it'd be online only.

But then again, I assumed Smash Run on 3DS would have online just because a Direct said the game as a whole would have online multiplayer. Between this and Tri Force Heroes, I need to stop being stupid and no longer assume that features are in the game unless explicitly stated as such.

Either way, some buddies at college were planning to test this out next semester. They're not gonna be happy about this...

I quite liked this.

0bf.png

WHAT THE FUCK.

Wow guys, whatever you do, do not let the time run out when the match starts. Neither player will progress in the tournament regardless of who had the lowest percent. I had atleast 50% less than him. When it ended.

Waited all that time, to play a 3 minute match, and have it end via a timeout(not intentional) where I should have won but for some reason that's how for online 1v1 for glory mode online tournament works.

I don't understand why the time limit on the tournament I entered was so short. It is two stocks like For Glory, but the time is so much less. I haven't really ever been concerned about my time in FG, but during the one tourney I played, the timer has less than a minute left multiple times.

Ozium

That much I gathered since they said such in the 50 Facts Extravaganza video. But I didn't think it'd be online only.

But then again, I assumed Smash Run on 3DS would have online just because a Direct said the game as a whole would have online multiplayer. Between this and Tri Force Heroes, I need to stop being stupid and no longer assume that features are in the game unless explicitly stated as such.

Either way, some buddies at college were planning to test this out next semester. They're not gonna be happy about this...

what about tri force heroes? it has online

NoKisum

what about tri force heroes? it has online

I assumed that Tri Force Heroes would have 2 player support after they showed it off at E3. Nintendo's website however clearly states "1 or 3 players" instead of stating "1-3 players".

But yeah, the lack of offline tournament mode really disappointed me (is it that hard to program brackets after doing it twice in a row?) since it made it easier for local competition set up. Oh well, I just hope the YouTube upload isn't too shoddy...

EulaCapra

I don't understand creating a new Tourney...I can have a 74-player Tournament open to the public, I can have it start tomorrow at noon and end it on August 12 at 5pm, and can have a 10-limit battle per day, and a requirement of 14 points to win.

If you join a tournament but aren't available at the start time of tomorrow at noon, are you automatically locked out? Or can you just join let's say on August 8 and pray there's 3 other people waiting to fight?

Ok now I'm confused, I just watched another match that ended with a timeout within the same tournament, but the winner, a Wario player still progressed.

So now, I'm really confused. I had a way bigger lead then the Wario player. The only thing that was different was that I taunted when it was time up. Who wouldn't I knew I was going to win?!?

I'm really disappointed in the outcome. It really makes like no sense.

Heh, I guess that strip still has some more use in it ;D

720p, 30fps, maximum duration of 3 minutes and 45 seconds :p Oh and apparently it takes a good while to upload (I think I've seen someone claiming longer than 10 minutes for one of theirs?)

Isnt it quite logical that it will take long to upload? I thought replays werent videos in that sense, hence why you cant rewatch older pre-update replays, cause the game "recreates" the fight again...or am I messing something up?

Isnt it quite logical that it will take long to upload? I thought replays werent videos in that sense, hence why you cant rewatch older pre-update replays, cause the game "recreates" the fight again...or am I messing something up?
Honestly, I don't know. 10+ minutes just seems like a long time to do much of anything to me :p Considering most people have a lower upload than download speed though I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising though.
As for what a replay is, you're correct. It's input data stored and replayed and balance changes break it because the positioning or values will have changed therefore making it go out of sync with the original events if played back :3

Gleethor

So does the stage select layout basically confirm the dr mario leak as fake? Shame.

Hyrule Castle's music selection is garbage. All 6 tracks are already in the game, and 5 of them are essentially the same song. Also, this is an incredibly minor thing, but the new tracks are completely out of order in the music section (not My Music), which is odd since the new tracks in the last update were all put in the correct spots (eg Ice Cream Island arrangement put with the other Kirby's Adventure music)

ALM5252

WHAT THE FUCK.

Waited all that time, to play a 3 minute match, and have it end via a timeout(not intentional) where I should have won but for some reason that's how for online 1v1 for glory mode online tournament works. Not only that but when it ends with a timeout a replay isn't available.

Happened to me too. Such a stupid thing. I won the match, had 8% against my opponent at around 80%. Says I won during the victory screen only to say I lost due to a time out.

I don't understand why the time limit on the tournament I entered was so short. It is two stocks like For Glory, but the time is so much less. I haven't really ever been concerned about my time in FG, but during the one tourney I played, the timer has less than a minute left multiple times.

Yeah dude I totally agree with you. The time limit is a serious factor. The one I entered was a Regular Tourney and it read "1v1 For Glory - Medium (Stock)". The time limit was 3 minutes, 2 stock.

From both our experiences alone, I think the time limit definitely needs to be upped.

Happened to me too. Such a stupid thing. I won the match, had 8% against my opponent at around 80%. Says I won during the victory screen only to say I lost due to a time out.

Yup exactly. All that build up to have it end like that. Gah atleast we all know for next time.

Honestly, I don't know. 10+ minutes just seems like a long time to do much of anything to me :p Considering most people have a lower upload than download speed though I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising though.
As for what a replay is, you're correct. It's input data stored and replayed and balance changes break it because the positioning or values will have changed therefore making it go out of sync with the original events if played back :3

So I guess there is our explanation. First the Wii U has to "recreate" the match and convert it to a video and then upload it to youtube, so I guess the uploading maybe even doesnt take that long, the process in general is just long (although long isnt the right word I guess).

Anyway, are there any screen of how the tournament mode looks like?

EulaCapra

Ok now I'm confused, I just watched another match that ended with a timeout within the same tournament, but the winner, a Wario player still progressed.

So now, I'm really confused. I had a way bigger lead then the Wario player. The only thing that was different was that I taunted when it was time up. Who wouldn't I knew I was going to win?!?

I'm really disappointed in the outcome. It really makes like no sense.
Doesn't it say that in the event of a tie and no sudden deaths, the player "most active" advances? It may apply to timeouts too.

fernoca

Quite pleased with everything so far!
The costumes are neat, the new stages are pure nostalgia and the upload feature is a welcome addition.

So does the stage select layout basically confirm the dr mario leak as fake? Shame.

Hyrule Castle's music selection is garbage. All 6 tracks are already in the game, and 5 of them are essentially the same song. Also, this is an incredibly minor thing, but the new tracks are completely out of order in the music section (not My Music), which is odd since the new tracks in the last update were all put in the correct spots (eg Ice Cream Island arrangement put with the other Kirby's Adventure music)
Just seems like this update was quite rushed. I want as much DLC (characters mostly) as possible but take your time Sakurai.

Doesn't it say that in the event of a tie and no sudden deaths, the player "most active" advances? It may apply to timeouts too.

Not sure where it says that, but it's not true. Neither player advanced from my match. I taunted (lol) and the Pikachu who had higher percent was throwing out electricity balls. Neither player advanced.

EDIT:
I see where it says that now. It says that if you click on "What's a Tourney?". But yeah, it still doesn't explain neither player advancing. xD

Top Bottom