• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zabojnik

21100283_528070667535695_2146757164_n.jpg

So with 3.0 then with the persistence will I actually be able to earn the in-game ships like I'm supposed to with in-game credits/means or will the only way to fly the other ships until full release still be by buying them with real money? I initially pledged when it was still on Kickstarter, the $60 package, Bounty Hunter.

So with 3.0 then with the persistence will I actually be able to earn the in-game ships like I'm supposed to with in-game credits/means or will the only way to fly the other ships until full release still be by buying them with real money? I initially pledged when it was still on Kickstarter, the $60 package, Bounty Hunter.

That will be 3.1. They said hopefully.

it's all about getting the economy system in-game to work right and function across the many features related to it.

This stream is mad entertaining lol.
They seem so unprepared for a presentation. I'm sure it's hard to throw together and junk but damn, whoever's producing this is struggling.

zdenko1

Oh, but do they have to do it all over again from start? At least we get to see Star Citizen Speedrun!

They have to rerun it because that's very likely most reliable way to actually do it with fewest number of bugs. There could be hundreds of other bugs waiting for them even with slight change of scenario.

Edit: And what Trace said.

They have to rerun it because that's very likely most reliable way to actually do it with fewest number of bugs. There could hundreds of other bugs waiting for them even with slight change of scenario.

Edit: And what Trace said.

Yep they speed ran though and now we begin again.

Rip Rover

Pilot crashing out aside, there's a number of time I've been impressed so far. Now if they could sort out the pacing on all these delays would be real nice. Pretty eager to try out 3.0 for myself, however I will say the atmospheric flight model is extremely underwhelming. Hopefully that is very much a placeholder.

Pilot crashing out aside, there's a number of time I've been impressed so far. Now if they could sort out the pacing on all these delays would be real nice. Pretty eager to try out 3.0 for myself, however I will say the atmospheric flight model is extremely underwhelming. Hopefully that is very much a placeholder.

There is no "hopefully" about it. It's not done just like everything else.

It should get better over time like anything else.

There is no "hopefully" about it. It's not done just like everything else.

It should get better over time like anything else.

Yeah most likely. I'm hoping atmospheric flight will end up a bit closer to the WW2 dogfight models, or at least that relying on hovering, which is likely within the realms of some smaller ships, is actually going to make you too easy of a target.

Yeah most likely. I'm hoping atmospheric flight will end up a bit closer to the WW2 dogfight models, or at least that relying on hovering, which is likely within the realms of some smaller ships, is actually going to make you too easy of a target.

I'm sure it's a balancing act. When it comes to figuring out how to handle the transition between space flight and atmospheric flight between all the different ships.

Now for all the Idris owners in the org, did you guys notice how devastating those Railgun blasts were?

How does it feel to have Idris-P?

Soo Sooo screwed.

Orca

What does everyone think Chris Roberts need to do today in order to get the biggest surge in backer donations? Seems like if they just show what will be in 3.0 that is old hat at this point, not sure how that gets a ton of new backers.

I think they need to do the following:

1. Assure people that they are on the right track, and everything is running smoothly
2. Show some really cool shit that is in a barely working state that will be in 3.1,3.2+
3. Make a big announcement. 3.1 including ship purchases with UAC by the end of the year anyone?

After watching the stream I would say there's no chance anyone says he did 1. They nailed the 'barely working state' part of 2, and I thought there was going to be some big announcement at the end but they just kind of ended it...

Vash63

The ship's maneuvering thrusters are incredibly powerful to keep drift down, people complained in earlier patches that they were too floaty. That said, I think hovering will probably get you killed - in this case most of it was scripted so they were probably intentionally trying to be easy targets so they could die when they were supposed to.

After watching the stream I would say there's no chance anyone says he did 1. They nailed the 'barely working state' part of 2, and I thought there was going to be some big announcement at the end but they just kind of ended it...

You god damm right they nailed the barely working state lol. That was quite a ride. Props for doing it live though and even bragging about how many bugs even that scripted demo had after a complete crash.

Pepboy

You guys are coming out the wood work. Clearly you know nothing as-well.

Hahaha I nominate "know nothing" as the new "fake news". At least for this thread, it seems to get tossed around so much as the last line of defense... With nothing to back it up.

Anyways, does anyone have a link to archived stream? I want to see all the new stuff they promised this year.

Kildrek

So i'm flying the aurora and I'm using a mouse and keyboard, and it is taking way too long to kill an npc that shows up when you try to do the comm relay.

I have a x52 that I could use, am I missing something or is the aurora just horrible?

Pepboy

Just watched the stream.......

Quick reminder that refunds are still available for this project.

Is that still true? Pretty sure they changed the Terms of Agreement to disallow refunds? Maybe they are still honoring them for now but they know that if enough people disliked their progress, it could cause a stampede.

So i'm flying the aurora and I'm using a mouse and keyboard, and it is taking way too long to kill an npc that shows up when you try to do the comm relay.

I have a x52 that I could use, am I missing something or is the aurora just horrible?

Really depends on what you are fighting. The aurora is on lower end of ships so missiles are more effective against stronger target. I don't think I have seen a pirate hornet, but I think I saw a pirate Sabre once. That ship outclasses Aurora because it is a dedicated fighter.

I only got a chance to check in on the stream a few times and each time it was just a "commercial" for some ship they probably want you to buy with real money.

Didn't actually see any gameplay.

Granted I came in pretty late to it.

Starviper

I only got a chance to check in on the stream a few times and each time it was just a "commercial" for some ship they probably want you to buy with real money.

Didn't actually see any gameplay.

Granted I came in pretty late to it.

There's a pretty big chunk of gameplay in there. Definitely worth a look after the first run that bugged.

It's a pretty cool improvement over their last gamescom demo. Last time they did dock at a station and pickup a quest similar to this demo, however they're now making use of the full planetary tech so they could go right up to space, warp, come back down and do the mission. Definitely still on the buggy side, but I liked what I saw.

I can see why some might want refunds. This game has been in development for so long, with so many scope changes. At this point they aren't making any major additions, so *hopefully* we'll see things move along a bit quicker.

~Cross~

The problem is that as presented, the entire "gameplay" is make belief. Sure you could argue that the social aspect of the game is important and thats why you make these sort of acted out demos where there just happened to be someone waiting to do the quest with you, where there is this group of player raiders that just happens to be there, where there just happens to be a player idris just waiting to pick you up but these aren't realistic scenarios when the player base is drawn out to different parts of the system and the instance player capacity is that small.

They need to show a typical gameplay loop of doing quests as you normally would in game. That would be representative of a very large % of what you do in game. They failed to do it both in the livestreams (which where "make your own fun in these 15 minutes") and in the presentation ( Which was "Dreams tm")

mnannola

The problem is that as presented, the entire "gameplay" is make belief. Sure you could argue that the social aspect of the game is important and thats why you make these sort of acted out demos where there just happened to be someone waiting to do the quest with you, where there is this group of player raiders that just happens to be there, where there just happens to be a player idris just waiting to pick you up but these aren't realistic scenarios when the player base is drawn out to different parts of the system and the instance player capacity is that small.

They need to show a typical gameplay loop of doing quests as you normally would in game. That would be representative of a very large % of what you do in game. They failed to do it both in the livestreams (which where "make your own fun in these 15 minutes") and in the presentation ( Which was "Dreams tm")

The big problem there is that most of the gameplay (game systems with depth) and most of the AI still has yet to be implemented. They can't show a core gameplay loop because it doesn't exist yet.

I can see why some might want refunds. This game has been in development for so long, with so many scope changes. At this point they aren't making any major additions, so *hopefully* we'll see things move along a bit quicker.

I can see why some might want refunds.Those are the folks that shouldn't have backed in the first place. The game has not been in development for very long and two games are being made. As per the kick-starter. There hasn't been "so many scope changes" either.

The game is in early development so of course things will be subject to change. That's the time to do it. While in pre-alpha and alpha.

The big problem there is that most of the gameplay (game systems with depth) and most of the AI still has yet to be implemented. They can't show a core gameplay loop because it doesn't exist yet.

Don't talk logic to that guy. It hurts him.

It's not like CIG hasn't explained that fact a thousand times since last year.

Shy

I had to leave while they wee waiting to start the second round of the Idris VS Idris battle.

Apart from that did i miss anything else ?

Pepboy

You trolls need better things to do.

This is hilarious coming from someone who is probably the most frequent poster and staunchest defender. I know you get lots of perks (like exclusive sneak peaks) for helping out CIG, but I'm not sure if you're getting money for it as well? If it's your full time job, I guess your frequent shilling makes sense.

I was pleasantly surprised by the actual mechanics in game. It actually seems like they might one day have a game for people to play. I'm guessing 3.0 is released something like early 2018 (unless they just push out buggy version for CitizenCon).

But I also agree fully that this demo highlighted how weak the current gameplay loop is. Everything was slow as molasses, and not just the framerate. Getting in and out of a chair took time. Opening a hatch took time. Calling the elevator took a bunch of time. The simulation extremes seems like it may end up killing all the fun for a large chunk of the audience.

The presentation was super cringeworthy. Will players ever take down ships with a bazooka riding in a buggy? Seems about as unlikely as last years sandworm.

Personally I also wad unimpressed with the facetech. Most won't have the super special webcam that seems to make it bearable, and probably walk around everywhere with helmet on. The head tilting to look around seems the most interesting part but I wonder if it needs constant resetting.

In conclusion, even though it was rough, it was much more promising than last years event. Seems clearer they will actually have a "game" sometime in the next year, but whether the game can fix the plodding pace, the abundance of bugs, the uninspiring systems, the poor atmospheric flight, etc, remains to be seen.

Edit: just realized they likely had no computer opponents... Is that already in 2.6? If not maybe it will take even longer.

They need to stop the role-playing trend in video games.

It's terrible.

Agreed. This was worse because normally Chris just barked orders, this time they went down the RP route. I think they did that though just to show off face animation tech. But it is something I have personally disliked for many game presentations over the past few years.

EDIT: Congrats on 600i

Finally got around to watching this and I'd like to say I'm surprised or shocked but I'm not. Outside of the Sandworm demo this was definitely their weakest presentation to date. The bugs, and not just oh it's not finished bugs, but really basic stuff bugs like the one dude stuck at the bar while the camera focusing on it. They really should be doing better than this faking a gameplay loop for the audience. Secondly (once again) the immersion and believability falls apart as soon as you see a ship fly. The massless ships springing off the ground, having to try their damndest with the landing gear out and going a softly as possible to look "cinematic" and ships literally moving like an FPS in atmosphere and spinning around. What still gets me even in the trailers they showed with the stream it shows a Connie (the Ursa commercial) gradually lifting off and flying away, which is currently impossible in the game with their flight dynamics. If it plays how they want to, why do they need to portray it differently in ads?

Secondly the Idris, oh my. Somehow, some way they managed to make the Idris jumping in with her fighters look and sound boring. This is something with engines so massive it should be shouting down anything near it and creating a wall of debris as it pushed down to land. Speaking of it landing, the shocks and struts should at least hold it up high enough that terrain inconveniences like it had shouldn't happen. Also when it jumped in, it should be special. Make it the loudest thing on the field and come in with a a blinding light, some angel Gabriel shit.

Random thoughts

- Ursa should have a jump or boost, seems like some "keep players from breaking the game 101" stuff with procedural generated terrains.

- Like the cockpits

- Like the face tracking, hopefully it extends down to TrackIr as well, like in Arma 3

- Vistas from moon to planet look great

- Traversing the Idris was neat even though it was pretty lifeless

- Gunnery still looks terribly dull, still does not communicate hits or damage well

- Idris land gears going up into flight mode is comically fast, something that big should have mass and require effort to move, like a battleship anchor.

All in all pretty disappointing.

Top Bottom