• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Pre-Alpha: 'Arena Commander' Dogfighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
21892303768_ba2e2cd5b2_o.gif

Haunted

The worst part about Squadron 42 releasing is that I won't have a PC capable of running it for quite some time. ;_;

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
So since Star Citizen raised more than half a million dollars over the last 24 hours, someone should ask Derek Smart if that means the project can keep running for another week into 2016. Will he revise his projections?

Guys. That starmap. It's live on the website. Turbulent can really work some magic.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

Yep, I was playing around with it for a while earlier tonight. It's very cool. Had to switch to Chrome because it thought Firefox's version is too old to run webGL for whatever reason, though.

The worst part about Squadron 42 releasing is that I won't have a PC capable of running it for quite some time. ;_;

Nvidia is releasing a whole new line of gpus in the next year. You'll probably be able to pick up a GTX 970 equivalent card for under $200 this time 2016.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Firefox is working for me. Ran into a few audio glitches but it's all very impressive.

Lots of websites for a while now have been complaining that my Firefox is out of date. Even Firefox's own website suggests that I update to the newest version. They often think that I have version 2 or 4 (from like a decade ago?) but I have the latest version, 41.0.1.

I think it has something to do with running Windows Vista. Firefox on Windows 7 on my gaming PC and my work PC seem to work OK with stuff.

Burny

Guys. That starmap. It's live on the website. Turbulent can really work some magic.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/starmap

Very cool! Any information on whether this is a separate implementation especially for browsers or whether they're also using this? Specifically the code and logic behind it and the database storing about jump points etc.?

Edit:

saitek_sc_hotasi7smh.jpg

Why do they keep insisting on putting switches on the stick's base rather than the throttle's? It's one of multiple the reasons why I'm replaceing my X52 Pro. The right hand should generally remain on the stick, while the left one reaches over the keyboard to the sticks base, when you're using it with a keyboard in between.

Anyone buying an Endeavor? I'd like to buy one, but that price...

I did buy an Aegis Sabre though.

I'm up to 9 or 10 ships now. Need to update my stuff on the org spreadsheet soon.

Melted some stuff and got a Sabre. Gorgeous craft. Sucks that it doesn't get LTI when you CCU to it. But the F-14ness is a must for me.

Why not?

You can't CCU to it because it idea concept. Right? I thought traditional CCUibg was gone now anyway with the new upgrade option.

If you bought it with a melt, it should keep LTI because it is still in concept, right?

I sort-of hope they get Gary Oldman to redo the voice for the senate speech. The speech itself and the overall scene is great, but he sounds like he's about to croak. Maybe I'll get used to it

KKRT00

I've watched CitizenCon yesterday live to unhappiness of my guests :p
But i have to say that camera work in Squadron42 cutscene was really bad.
Also, i was no blown away, they need really high level of polish in terms of lighting in cutscenes, shadows and shaders in gameplay. The video of updated GOST system was more mind blowing for me that Squadron 42 footage, but its probably just due to polish.
The facial tech video was way more impressive than whole cutscene for me.

I dig the change of Arena Commander 2.0 transforming into PU pre-alpha.

Ps. My friends thought that game looked bad :p Watching SC alpha without a context did not make a great impression.

I sort-of hope they get Gary Oldman to redo the voice for the senate speech. The speech itself and the overall scene is great, but he sounds like he's about to croak. Maybe I'll get used to it

Yeah I found it a little odd too, maybe I think it's also because the voice sounds really old but the character doesn't really reflect the age? The voice seems more fitting for an old veteran that's seen some shit in his lifetime, the character's looks don't really relate with the voice.

Geist-

Please leave your SC membership card at the counter, KKRT00.
Ya, they don't need to redo the voice, it's fine, but they need to polish up the character model so that it reflects the voice of the character.
Thanks for posting this.

Not sure if I want to trade a super hornet out for a sabre, I like the design a bit more. It looks damn cool.
Well, gameplay wise the Sabre is less of a armored gunboat that the Super Hornet is and more like an F22 raptor, basically stealth systems, speed, and maneuverability. So ask yourself, which style of gameplay do you prefer?

KKRT00

Ya, they don't need to redo the voice, it's fine, but they need to polish up the character model so that it reflects the voice of the character.

Model is fine, textures are fine too, the problem is the lighting. We just need better lighting and camera work.
SVOGI come on, implement Yourself :p

Daedardus

Model is fine, textures are fine too, the problem is the lighting. We just need better lighting and camera work.
SVOGI come on, implement Yourself :p

To be honest, it might be due to screen and video quality. Actual lighting is always better in real life rather than sent through the internet, for any game. Compression is always the first to screw up lighting. Just compare early AC videos with the game on your PC now, it makes a huge difference.

KKRT00

To be honest, it might be due to screen and video quality. Actual lighting is always better in real life rather than sent through the internet, for any game. Compression is always the first to screw up lighting. Just compare early AC videos with the game on your PC now, it makes a huge difference.

The video on their channel has quite a decent quality. I think its the lighting. Its really too much of direct lighting, without much of ambient and its hurting the IQ.
The lighting temperature is not great too.

KKRT00

Just need to age him a bit more maybe by about 10 years. Sounded a lot like Brian Cox as Visari in the Killzone series (who is GOAT for those grandiose war speech).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Kiby2RBvFeE

This speech was so great.
Killzone 2 was awesome, what a pity it is console exclusive, i would really want to play it with m&k, i think this a game that would be even great 10 years from now in terms of MP. Awesome game and AI was great too.

Tendo

I'm torn between the saber or super hornet. Anyone have experience with both? I already have an avenger that I don't really care to keep so I'll upgrade it to one of those two.

Rommel

Sweet melted my non-lti gladius and used the credits and some extra scratch to get an LTI Sabre. Going to be rolling hot and heavy with my Sabre and Vanguard. Not going to lie, I was looking in my budget to see if I could somehow afford the Armada pack lol... stupid buying a house.

Wish there was an easy way to split something like that between people.

Starfield

Sweet melted my non-lti gladius and used the credits and some extra scratch to get an LTI Sabre. Going to be rolling hot and heavy with my Sabre and Vanguard. Not going to lie, I was looking in my budget to see if I could somehow afford the Armada pack lol... stupid buying a house.

Wish there was an easy way to split something like that between people.

dude...Armada Pack > House

you can still live inside of a cupboard to play videogames.

This speech was so great.
Killzone 2 was awesome, what a pity it is console exclusive, i would really want to play it with m&k, i think this a game that would be even great 10 years from now in terms of MP. Awesome game, and AI was great too.

I've put like 500+ hours in KZ2, the clan system tactics in the MP were endless fun for me. Loved the feel of the game which had the weight closer to realism without going full sim. The guns and reload animations are still second to none.

Zalusithix

I'm torn between the saber or super hornet. Anyone have experience with both? I already have an avenger that I don't really care to keep so I'll upgrade it to one of those two.

The Sabre is not even hanger ready, let alone flyable in AC. Nobody has experience with it. That said, one key difference between the two is that the Super Hornet is a two person craft while the Sabre is a single seater. While the SH can be flown solo, when you have a second person in it, you'll have somebody with full control of the ball turret. This'll give the SH the ability to focus on more than one target at the same time and have a wider range of coverage in general.

The Sabre looks to be somewhat akin to the Vanguard in being rather forward fire focused. It'll probably be superior in taking down a single less maneuverable craft, but in turn less capable of dealing with multiple hostiles that might be more maneuverable than it.

Mind you, this is all speculation.

The Sabre looks to be somewhat akin to the Vanguard in being rather forward fire focused. It'll probably be superior in taking down a single less maneuverable craft, but in turn less capable of dealing with multiple hostiles that might be more maneuverable than it.

The Sabre looks like it's better suited for Boom n Zoom tactics rather than sustained fire like the SH. I'm guessing with two main engines it will also be faster and since it has semi-stealth capabilities it will be better for disengaging. SH is going to be something that shows up and holds an area vs the Sabre which is better as a strike fighter.

KKRT00

I've put like 500+ hours in KZ2, the clan system tactics in the MP were endless fun for me. Loved the feel of the game which had the weight closer to realism without going full sim. The guns and reload animations are still second to none.

My PS3 is broken, but i despite pad control for FPS games. It just does not feel right.
But Killzone 2 was awesome, not denying there.

Tendo

The Sabre is not even hanger ready, let alone flyable in AC. Nobody has experience with it. That said, one key difference between the two is that the Super Hornet is a two person craft while the Sabre is a single seater. While the SH can be flown solo, when you have a second person in it, you'll have somebody with full control of the ball turret. This'll give the SH the ability to focus on more than one target at the same time and have a wider range of coverage in general.

Ah I didn't realize it wasn't also put into AC. So if I got a SH I could fly it right now in vanduul swarm?

Zalusithix

Ah I didn't realize it wasn't also put into AC. So if I got a SH I could fly it right now in vanduul swarm?

Yes, the SH is AC ready so you could both view it in your hanger and fly it in AC. It's actually a decent time to get one if you don't have one as it has 3 year insurance currently. You could even CCU to a Sabre later on when it's AC ready for $5-$10.

It's important to note that the SH is only available as a stand alone ship currently. You'll need an actual package with AC access first in order to fly it. Alternatively you could CCU a package ship to the SH, but unless you have a LTI based ship package from long ago, buying the ship as an extra makes more sense from an insurance standpoint.

Tendo

Yes, the SH is AC ready so you could both view it in your hanger and fly it in AC. It's actually a decent time to get one if you don't have one as it has 3 year insurance currently. You could even CCU to a Sabre later on when it's AC ready for $5-$10.

It's important to note that the SH is only available as a stand alone ship currently. You'll need an actual package with AC access first in order to fly it. Alternatively you could CCU a package ship to the SH, but unless you have a LTI based ship package from long ago, buying the ship as an extra makes more sense from an insurance standpoint.

I bought the avenger pack last year so I have access and I'm good to go. Might buy that today and took around a bit!

Just saw that the Citizencon fly free code for 2 weeks includes all the ships including the Scythe and Glaive.

Code: CITCONFLIGHT2K15

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/promotions/citizencon2k15

Time to try out the sythe and glaive!

I think Bishops model and animations were stellar, just the strange camera tracking and lighting on his face need to be redone. Pretty clear the model and animation detail is through the roof if you watch the tech video.

elyetis

I dig the change of Arena Commander 2.0 transforming into PU pre-alpha.
I really don't dig it. By all mean I love what I see, just like I was blown away by the Star Citizen Multicrew demo of gamescon 2015.
But a multicrew arena commander, would have an actual gameplay value. While I don't see myself doing something else than taking screenshots, in a very small PU, without any npc, persistance or .. well anything.

Loved the Bishop Senate Speech, while Squadron 42: The Morrow Tour was... quite disappointing for me I must say. Didn't like the characters, and all I could see at time, is that their teeth can be brighter than a thousand suns. And well to be honest, I still hoped that they would have more to show.... seems like part 1 of SQ42 as Q4 2016 doesn't seems like that much of a pessimist prediction now.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Nice try.

He actually is a close friend to Mark Hamill and some others from the cast so getting them wasn't that hard.

Not hard, but abuse amount of money to spend on an area of the game that doesn't seem to be a high priority for players.

Lork

So I've been checking in on this game every once and a while and something that's been keeping me from diving in is that they haven't quite figured out the basic controls yet, both while in a ship and on foot. Hopefully they'll get there eventually, and the on foot stuff doesn't bother me too much since that's not the point of the game, but there's one thing about the flight controls that absolutely kills me.

When controlling a ship with the mouse, why isn't there an option to swap between cursor mode and flight control by holding a button rather than a toggle? This control paradigm has been by far the best way to control a spaceship with a mouse ever since it was introduced in Elite 2, and it was even greatly improved upon by Robert's own game, Freelancer! Even Egosoft managed to figure this out (eventually) and their game became much more playable for it, yet Star Citizen doesn't even offer it as an option?

The simple fact that this mode of control isn't the default setting is disappointing because it means they're not going to take advantage of the vast array of UI possibilities afforded by having access to a cursor on screen at all times, but I could live with that as long as they at least provide it as an option. The lack of the ability to quickly and intuitively "let go of the stick" turns things like small course adjustments or simply flying straight into a constant struggle to keep your ship stable. I'm sure that if I spent enough time with it I could "get used to it" (just like people got used to shit like X2), but the thing is that I don't want to get used to it. Flying a ship this way just isn't enjoyable to me, and it's keeping me from spending any significant amount of time with what's been offered so far. Furthermore, I can't really see myself getting too deep into the full game if the basic act of flying my ship continues to be a chore as it is now.

I'm currently waiting on the Steam controller to see if that can make the game tolerable for me, and it very well might, but even still, the lack of such a basic (and easy to implement) usability option is... frustrating, to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom