• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star War: The Force Awakens Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonm1010

Banned
Don't get the Fetta love I mean dude fell into the Sarlacc 3 fucking times.

Me either. Then again I am not the biggest Star Wars follower. So maybe I am missing something.

Always seemed like Fett's appeal was the costume and the mystery. Fleshing him out eliminates(eliminated) that mystery and the speculative fun.

Not everything should be given a weighty back story and humanizing character arc IMO, Fett is a good example of the unnecessariness of it.

Some twat handle posted a spoiler in a youtube comment section the other day but i obviously didn't know if it was genuine or not. Then today my brother got spoiled, we were just talking about it and both comments said the same thing.

So, thats the ending ruined. People are such bad dickheads.

The fault is entirely yours for looking at Youtube comments.

Me either. Then again I am not the biggest Star Wars follower. So maybe I am missing something.

Always seemed like Fett's appeal was the costume and the mystery. Fleshing him out eliminates(eliminated) that mystery and the speculative fun.

Not everything should be given a weighty back story and humanizing character arc IMO, Fett is a good example of the unnecessariness of it.

Ive said it before but here it goes again.

If they do decide to do a Fett movie, they should rip off any of the movies from the man-with-no-name trilogy (Fistfull of Dollars, A Few Dollars More, The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly) and substitute Blondie for Fett.

Done deal, great movie

PopeReal

There sure is a lot of hand wringing for a movie over 90%. Are people forgetting just how long it's been since a fun star wars movie came out? Or did some of you expect perfection on an Empire level?

The negative of being too much like Star Wars is the best negative we could get.

There sure is a lot of hand wringing for a movie over 90%. Are people forgetting just how long it's been since a fun star wars movie came out? Or did some of you expect perfection on an Empire level?

The negative of being too much like Star Wars is the best negative we could get.
For some people, sure.

PopeReal

For some people, sure.

Think of the possible flaws. The ones we got from the last 3 Star Wars movie. Wooden acting. Terrible directing. Annoying characters. Too much CG. Those are the things that would have ruined it for me.

Perfection is hard to achieve. Give me the "too much like Star Wars" complaint any day of the week over the other possible from the list.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
For some people, sure.

It's the best possible "negative" because a solid foundation is, at the very least, built for future films. In Episode VIII they can do some super-crazy things if they like because the new cast will have been established. ESB is so good, in part, to what ANH set-up.

Think of the possible flaws. The ones we got from the last 3 Star Wars movie. Wooden acting. Terrible directing. Annoying characters. Too much CG. Those are the things that would have ruined it for me.

Perfection is hard to achieve. Give me the "too much like Star Wars" complaint any day of the week over the other possible from the list.
Never was looking for perfection.
Also, those complaints are on the same level as "too much like Star Wars" to me. In this context at least.

Garlador

Never was looking for perfection.
Also, those complaints are on the same level as "too much like Star Wars" to me. In this context at least.

You'll have to tell me how.

The acting in the prequels was beyond horrible. The special effects and special editions were often beyond bad and distracting to the point of sucking you out of the film. There were characters so grating and annoying, characters we were "supposed" to like, that giant chunks of the films were dedicated to brought the whole experience down. The direction was lifeless and lacking in soul, wit, or energy to any degree.

But "too much like Star Wars" is a very POSITIVE complaint, if you'll pardon the contradiction.

Too much like one of the most original, joyous, exciting, inventive, charming, adventurous, dynamic, chemistry-driven, genre-defining, culture-defining, cinema-defining experiences of all time?

... I'll take that over every single aspect of the prequel trilogy, from Jar Jar to midichlorians to love stories about sand.

You'll have to tell me how.

The acting in the prequels was beyond horrible. The special effects and special editions were often beyond bad and distracting to the point of sucking you out of the film. There were characters so grating and annoying, characters we were "supposed" to like, that giant chunks of the films were dedicated to brought the whole experience down. The direction was lifeless and lacking in soul, wit, or energy to any degree.

But "too much like Star Wars" is a very POSITIVE complaint, if you'll pardon the contradiction.

Too much like one of the most original, joyous, exciting, inventive, charming, adventurous, dynamic, chemistry-driven, genre-defining, culture-defining, cinema-defining experiences of all time?

... I'll take that over every single aspect of the prequel trilogy, from Jar Jar to midichlorians to love stories about sand.
To make this short, I'll just say retreading similar plot beats and moments isn't very exciting to me.
I like different, strange and unpredictable.

Garlador

"The fans will love it. It's just the kind of movie they wanted."

(Paraphrasing but that's mainly it)

So, internally:
"What's wrong with this film? It needs more CG! Why is the camera moving so much? Why aren't there more people sitting down on couches and talking?"

To make this short, I'll just say retreading similar plot beats and moments isn't very exciting to me.
I like different, strange and unpredictable.
Well, you do realize that Star Wars itself was actually just a repackaging of stuff George Lucas grew up liking, right? It's just retreading things like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and Kurasama movies, often shot for shot or beat for beat.

Anyone familiar with those works would have found Star Wars fairly predictable.

So, internally:
"What's wrong with this film? It needs more CG! Why is the camera moving so much? Why aren't there more people sitting down on couches and talking?"

Well, you do realize that Star Wars itself was actually just a repackaging of stuff George Lucas grew up liking, right? It's just retreading things like Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, and Kurasama movies, often shot for shot or beat for beat.

Anyone familiar with those works would have found Star Wars fairly predictable.
Repackaging can be fine but not retreading. If you get what I'm saying.
If you do lets just leave it at that.

PopeReal

I am much more looking forward to a Boba Fett movie than Han Solo. Just because we have plenty of Solo's story already. But Rogue One appeals to me the most.

Henkka

Banned
Honestly, Boba Fett and Han Solo movies don't appeal to me at all. Han Solo is Harrison Ford. And Boba Fett is a random background character with a cool helmet.

Too many people care about plot. Fury Road barely had one. What's the point of a great plot if you don't care about who it's happening to?

Character > plot always.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom