• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

DavidDesu

Just had a nice run in an A-Wing that lasted a good 5 minutes before I tried a manoeuvre and barrel rolled into the ground :( Getting more used to the flight controls now but it would be nice if you could reduce the sensitivity of them a bit, or make the centre zone less twitchy at least. The only thing I dislike is the ridiculously slow speed super tight turning circles the ships have. Would rather it required you to fly a larger faster sweep around. From the ground it looks a bit ridiculous.

Got in an X-Wing and lasted about 15 seconds, got shot down straight away. It definitely feels like the rebels do have more powerful airborne forces next to the Empire.

God this game is great. In cockpit view they truly captured the feel of Star Wars. Even the simplified controls kind of match up with the motion controlled movements in the films. Swooping over and down the snowy rocky hillsides looks and feels like I'm actually in Empire Strikes Back. That's pretty magical for someone like me. Gonna buy this off Amazon for a pretty reasonable £44. Seems worth it to me, even if I just get a month of play out of it and sell it on, should it lose its sheen (I doubt it tho).

I really hope the rebel pilot uniform is in the game in some form. I don't care if it makes me stand out, I love it.

I am not 100% certain, but I thought that Heroes have skill trees with different abilities. If there is any kind of "Hero Loadout" screen, I think it would make sense to have different outfits for the heroes, too.

Jango outfit for Boba, Endor outfit for Han, Luke has a ton to pick from, etc.

MechaX

I'm having fun with the beta but it really needs some serious balancing in the Hoth level. The empire has a big advantage.

If the Rebel team plays competently, you can completely steamroll even decent Empire teams.

The problem is that I still come across Rebel teams where like 5 dudes will just completely ignore an unguarded uplink and not do anything to AT-ATs when their shields are down.

If the Rebel team plays competently, you can completely steamroll even decent Empire teams.

The problem is that I still come across Rebel teams where like 5 dudes will just completely ignore an unguarded uplink and not do anything to AT-ATs when their shields are down.

Agreed. But currently one of the problems is since there is no voice team chat on consoles, there's a lot of inconsistency with everyone working together to meet team objectives.

Huh. Drop Zone was having trouble during the first day, but they seemed to fix it Fri-Sun... Now it's back to kicking me out before the match even begins

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I am not 100% certain, but I thought that Heroes have skill trees with different abilities. If there is any kind of "Hero Loadout" screen, I think it would make sense to have different outfits for the heroes, too.

Jango outfit for Boba, Endor outfit for Han, Luke has a ton to pick from, etc.
That would be cool. I was referring more to my standard infantry soldier though.

todahawk

Ha! So is orbital strike an AT-AT weapon? I always thought it was a pickup!

Ah, that explains it. I think random drops would be better. Maybe. Then again, the rush to the first AT-ST badge reminds me of Halo 3 beginning of the match rush to the sword or bazooka, which is not a bad thing necessarily.

It is a pickup but it's also one of the 3 weapons on the AT-AT.

Soooooo... did they patch something? I've played a bunch, but now all of the sudden my mouse doesn't work when I get into a match. I'm fine navigating the menus, but once in a match my character barely responds to my mouse movements. Anyone know a solution?

GodofWine

For two days I was really sure I'd skip this, it wasn't feeling right for me...then today...something clicked. .something fun clicked...now I might get this and blops...so confused again :)

any PC users getting massive stuttering while playing? I'm on a 3770k with 980ti and have been having this problem since the start of the beta, I'm on the latest drivers as well

Fbh

Just played my last couple of games of the beta with a few friends.

Final Impressions are very positive. It was only 2 modes in 2 maps with limited weapons/skills/vehicles/heroes, etc yet It's still some of the most fun I've had with a multiplayer game this gen.
To me the gameplay was great, I see the simplicity as a strenght. It was enjoyable and it was easy to feel useful without having to dedicate long hours to master the systems. Hell, I've owned Battlefield 4 for over a year and I've yet to feel useful with aircrafts, within a few matches here I was having awesome dogfights with X-Wings, blasting enemies on the ground and helping with the objective. I like how here I feel like I can go run straight into the battle and have fun like in Halo/Destiny/COD, etc, while other similar games on this scale are more about tactical decisions, moving slowly, crawling around, camping and slowly turning around every corner (doesn't mean they are bad games, I personally just like my shooters to have a more arcade style gameplay)

Walker Assault felt unbalanced at first but the more I play the more I think it's actually fine as it is. As long as people play the objective it's not that hard to win as the rebels. And, while it took a while, people are starting to realize this. Out of the 10 games I played today the rebels actually won 4. All it takes is using orbital strikes correctly, activating and focusing on defending uplinks, and having some reliable pilots on Airspeeders in the end.

My only real problem with the beta was the terrible party system. That has to get fixed by the final release. Joining the same game with friends shouldn't be such a pain in the ass

Day 1 purchase for me

But then they could have used his Rebel pilot outfit; which is what he was actually wearing during the Battle of Hoth.

80358-2.jpg

Even past Star Wars games got it right:

maxresdefault.jpg

latest

No excuse.

I believe someone said earlier in this thread that Dice knows this and it was only placeholder for the beta, he should have a more hoth appropriate outfit for release.

Does anyone else have a problem with randomly throwing out grenades, using your shield or ion shot? I've even had a problem with using my pick-ups to the point that if I'm lucky enough to get an orbital strike I'm afraid to move because I think it's going to randomly waste it. Don't think it's my controller because I have 2 and it happens on both of them, I'm on PS4 BTW.

HowZatOZ

Banned
I just wish there was a server browser. Gone are the days of building a community through personal servers or even those rented. Would definitely help with the Hoth map imbalance, which luckily has now started to become less of a problem as people learn the map.

Still, I just hate that there is a map in the rotation that unless the Rebels work together consistently as an entire team it's Empire win by default. Those kind of maps are never fun, and usually the community reacts by just leaving when it rotates to it. Though I guess they solved that by separating the maps so you queue into a specific one.

meanspartan

I wonder how popular Walker Assault will be when Conquest is an option. It was odd they used such a convoluted game mode for this Demo, Conquest woulda been easier to grasp and likely not as unbalanced.

Also wonder how many maps will have Walker Assault as a game type, or is it just Hoth?

majik13

Huh. Drop Zone was having trouble during the first day, but they seemed to fix it Fri-Sun... Now it's back to kicking me out before the match even begins

DICE could be messing with stuff on the back end, changing settings and what not to test different networking scenarios. I think Bungie did something similar stuff with Destiny beta I think. But I am just making guesses.

I wonder how popular Walker Assault will be when Conquest is an option. It was odd they used such a convoluted game mode for this Demo, Conquest woulda been easier to grasp and likely not as unbalanced.

Also wonder how many maps will have Walker Assault as a game type, or is it just Hoth?

probably because it is something fresh and unique to the series, instead of just another conquest clone. I think at least Hoth and Endor are confirmed for WA. But I am assuming that there will be a map for each planet. So 4 at least(I hope) most likely.

Ferrio

Banned
I just wish there was a server browser. Gone are the days of building a community through personal servers or even those rented. Would definitely help with the Hoth map imbalance, which luckily has now started to become less of a problem as people learn the map.

Yep lack of ping and server browser are extremely off putting.

Special C

Pickups are fun, but I'd rather them be randomly given every so often. I've seen people grab a pickup, then waste it on purpose to grab an AT-AT or something right afterward.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I believe someone said earlier in this thread that Dice knows this and it was only placeholder for the beta, he should have a more hoth appropriate outfit for release.
I know they've said this was more of a server test than anything else but have they talked more about what's being changed before release?

zedge

I'm having fun with the beta but it really needs some serious balancing in the Hoth level. The empire has a big advantage.
Nah I actually see the Rebels winning more now. A good team can take down both walkers before the first or second checkpoint. Although that same team will also obliterate the rebels next round. All comes down to teamwork and knowing what you are doing. Play the objective people!! ;)

Must say I totally agree with this view from The Verge. I'm almost word for word in agreement. I think we have enough overly complex time-sink dependant multiplayer games. Rocket League and now this are making me finally play online against others when for years I've avoided it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/12/9511269/star-wars-battlefront-beta-preview

Very true. Absolutely loving this game. Still not bored of playing the one map on walker assault.

Must say I totally agree with this view from The Verge. I'm almost word for word in agreement. I think we have enough overly complex time-sink dependant multiplayer games. Rocket League and now this are making me finally play online against others when for years I've avoided it.

Absolutely agree. Loved the beta, it actually got me and a friend completely hooked, something that didn't happen for a long time with an online multiplayer FPS game (last one was BF2142). I didn't get bored of Hoth and played it every single day. People are accusing this and Rainbow Six Siege of being a little too casual and I've enjoyed both greatly. I think I'm getting old, both were extremely fun but SW takes the cake for now, I'm actually mad because I have two more games to buy this year (SW and Siege).

Indeed, there is elegance in simplicity. It may be too late for Battlefront, but it would be nice if the trend caught on.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member

From what I read they went with Return of the Jedi Luke because at that point he was officially a Jedi and was strong. During the Hoth battle in Empire Strikes Back he was still learning and wasn't complete in his transition? It's not a big deal to me, I've always liked Luke's look in Return of the Jedi the most anyway.

Vidpixel

From what I read they went with Return of the Jedi Luke because at that point he was officially a Jedi and was strong. During the Hoth battle in Empire Strikes Back he was still learning and wasn't complete in his transition? It's not a big deal to me, I've always liked Luke's look in Return of the Jedi the most anyway.

Yeah, the design director mentions this in an interview with jackfrags.

GodofWine

I just read the verges article, and as a 38yr old dad of two, rock on.

It also occurred to me today, and maybe this is why it clicked, that this game is way more like BF1943 than BF4, its just simple and fun, but it can be mastered and competitive.

The flying, shooting, all of it, is like 1943

keezy

Game is starting to grow on me... Weird statement, but I had much more fun playing this on PS4 than Xbone. It looked better and the game seemed more fluid in terms of performance.

Probably going to purchase it. Going to struggle juggling BLOPS3/Battlefront next month :p

Karak

Just sat back and watched the aimbots today. Its absolutely insane. 70-80 to 0 ratios and you could watch people racking other people through the walls in Hoth

M_A_C

Just sat back and watched the aimbots today. Its absolutely insane. 70-80 to 0 ratios and you could watch people racking other people through the walls in Hoth

I'm seeing hacker/cheaters banned in almost every game on the PC.

Pastry

Banned
An easy solution to a lot of problems would be to limit each person to one turn in the AT-AT per game. It would stop people from camping the tokens and alleviate a lot of the problems the AT-AT causes.

Not really surprising to see hackers, beta is open and aim bots are easy to make (hard to make ones that bypass the security), thankfully the anti-cheat seems to be picking them up rather easily. Number of hackers will be down for release, obviously.

Karak

Thus why I never play competitive games on PC anymore. You can never be so sure.

Ya I moved my purchase over to the console for my review. Its insane.

What worries me the most is that many of them have been playing since day one without bans. People seeing bans aren't seeing it for the main aimbot. It looks to be the same one that never got caught on the original servers. Its going to be skyhigh upon release. With what looks like at least 4 groups going after it. I do betas all the time I I think this is the fastest I have ever seen bots. Most likely due to the success with prior games using the same underlying infrastructure.

Top Bottom