• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Same. Seems impossible to do considering how close it is to that hill. I've hit it countless times now.

Maybe it's a design choice by DICE? I wouldn't be surprised since it's seriously kinda unfair for Imperials if the Rebels can win the round decided by just two pilots? :)

They've been dying pretty quickly in my games.

Played two games as rebels today and won both. One of them was a total slaughter. Three or 4 rebels were consitantly camped on the hill above where they come in near the left uplink. I was in the turret and then quickly backed out when I got flanked and killed two more (gif later.) I had 10 uplink defense points. Don't knkow how we failed to kill both on the first Y-Wing run.

Second game was also pretty easy. The last Y-Wing had finished its run so I needed to respawn anyway to start the next set of uplinks. Kamikaze A-Wing did a very large amount of damage. We only had to breathe on it to kill the second one.

I'd like to see a stat chart on win % over the course of the demo. From my experience there's been a very sharp rise in rebel victories.

Same. As more people learn how to take out AT-ATs, I've played games where the Rebels were crushing the Imperials. Mind, it's still easier to win as the Imperials, but it's like in Battlefield Rush, it's always easier to win as Defenders since a lot of people don't want to attack.

Does this end tomorrow? What time?

11 hours from now according to EA;

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653785876556713984

"Set your clocks as the #StarWarsBattlefront Beta goes offline in just under 11 hours! October 13th, 8 AM PST / 5 PM CEST."

Won about 5 games as the Rebel. Feels satisfying winning as them. Honestly, I find Drop Zone more fun than Walker Assault. The Imperial can win pretty easily if the Rebel Team don't protect the objective. They need to fix the spawning cause you can die too easily as Rebel. Really frustrating when that happens.
Won't be getting it at launch, probably later on when there's a price drop.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Maybe it's a design choice by DICE? I wouldn't be surprised since it's seriously kinda unfair for Imperials if the Rebels can win the round decided by just two pilots? :)

It's not, you can definitely trip that one(and I tripped both in one go a few times). But it can be pretty funny in the sense that we got pretty stomped all match and I single handedly took down 2 walkers with over 75% health for the win at the end once.

Durden77

I hooked this up to my fairly medicore sound system earlier today and holy fuck it sounds so fucking balls deep good. I'm sorry but the production values and incredible accuracy to the source material would force me to buy this game alone. I have never felt closer to the world of Star Wars than this game.

It's not, you can definitely trip that one(and I tripped both in one go a few times). But it can be pretty funny in the sense that we got pretty stomped all match and I single handedly took down 2 walkers with over 75% health for the win at the end once.

Tie Interceptors not doing their job. They deserved it.

mrlion

My best result on a game entirely spent on TIE fighter. Come a long way from few days ago when I couldn't even control the damn thing. Air superiority is a bitch to deal with.

I'm pretty sure Fighter Squadron will be my favourite mode in the final game.

The hell did you do? Camp with an AT-ST?

Tie Interceptors not doing their job. They deserved it.
In almost every game where the AT-AT has a lot of health at the end I see the Imperials shooting the Rebel mooks when they should be 100% focused on the speeders who are towing. Unless the AT-AT are at low health there is almost no reason to worry about the footsoldiers.

The hell did you do? Camp with an AT-ST?

As I said I was on TIE the whole game, got killed once with a smart missile. Our team just decimated their air force and I could focus on shooting the shit out of their ground force. It can be hard to aim at a moving target sometimes but if you stand still for a split second you are instantly dead.

In almost every game where the AT-AT has a lot of health at the end I see the Imperials shooting the Rebel mooks when they should be 100% focused on the speeders who are towing. Unless the AT-AT are at low health there is almost no reason to worry about the footsoldiers.

As someone who spends a lot of the time in a fighter I do my fair share of strafing runs but I always check for incoming fighters as I make my pass. As slow as those snowspeeders are anyone should be able to intercept them with ease.

mrlion

As I said I was on TIE the whole game, got killed once with a smart missile. Our team just decimated their air force and I could focus on shooting the shit out of their ground force. It can be hard to aim at a moving target sometimes but if you stand still for a split second you are instantly dead.

I've noticed a change in strats for X-Wings and TIE Fighters they are focusing more on the ground now. Though this can be both good and bad.

I hate the charges on cards. Reeks of micro transaction b.s. Being able to pick up more is fine if say you have a limit of three uses per mission and each power up increases that for the mission. Does anyone think that you'll be able to buy credits for real money?

I've noticed a change in strats for X-Wings and TIE Fighters they are focusing more on the ground now. Though this can be both good and bad.

They should be focusing on the ground whenever they have the chance, air superiority wins games. For example A-Wings especially melt any ground forces given the chance, AT-ST becomes totally useless and Vader better stay indoors.

While it is great to have TIE fighters give ground support their top priority is to keep A-Wings at bay. Those things are insane.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I hate the charges on cards. Reeks of micro transaction b.s. Being able to pick up more is fine if say you have a limit of three uses per mission and each power up increases that for the mission. Does anyone think that you'll be able to buy credits for real money?

Nope. You can buy it with in-game currency though. I never have a problem with charges, as most people don't even bother picking them up.

Aside from the Turrets being OP (yes, they are OP due to their range and damage), the most annoying thing is the out of bounds area. I mean, DICE nailed it perfectly in Battlefield, but in Battlefront, it's weird since enemies can literally be at the spawn point of a phase, which is balls out wrong when it comes to game design.

I don't think it'll be much of an issue as DICE has a good track record of patching up their games, but hopefully, they know that.

Also, keep getting DCed! Won't be long now until it's gone. November 17 is going ot be a loooong wait.

Jabba

Banned
Playing as the Rebels we did a good job damaging one AT AT. We actually finished it off and damaged the middle AT AT ok, on the second set of uplinks.

Afterwards the Imperials started rocking us hard. Was tough keeping the uplink up. Everyone sort of rallied and the AT AT was getting close, it was about 50%. Kept the uplinks up to get a good Y wing bombing run. What we didn't have was enough firepower to kill the last AT AT.

It went vulnerable and everyone started unloading. You can tell when you have enough conventional firepower and we didn't have enough, someone wisely saved an orbital strike and gave us the win. Glorious

Prototype

Must say I totally agree with this view from The Verge. I'm almost word for word in agreement. I think we have enough overly complex time-sink dependant multiplayer games. Rocket League and now this are making me finally play online against others when for years I've avoided it.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/12/9511269/star-wars-battlefront-beta-preview
This was a great read, thanks for posting it.

I agree. It's far easier to get into and just play. It's almost arcade like? And I love that.

This was a great read, thanks for posting it.

I agree. It's far easier to get into and just play. It's almost arcade like? And I love that.

I agree with arcade like. I mentioned earlier that Halo 5 will cover my need for a hardcore console fps. Battlefront will be for pure casual fun.

TitusTroy

anyone know what time the beta ends tomorrow (PC)?

I'll answer my own post since I just read an article about it...EA says that exact times will vary, but we can expect things to go down early morning on the 13th...after that, the team at DICE has just about a month to fine tune the thing, iron out balance issues, and prepare for the inevitable launch day onslaught

Ferrio

Banned
I'm so stupid, this whole time I haven't had a train equipped. Also finally donned on me what the speed boost for the tie fighter was good for. For quickly flying to the end of the map to turn around and do a straffing run.

I am off to work shortly, so my beta time is done.

Overall, I liked the game. It certainly plays on the Star Wars theme very well and nails the atmosphere near perfectly. And maybe that is why I am not convinced it is a great game just yet.

You take away the Star Wars aspect, you are playing a relatively decent shooter. Nothing more nothing less.

With Halo 5 hitting soon, I won't be putting in my Battlefront pre order just yet. The shooter market is always a crazy one, and with Blops, Halo, Battlefront, and R6... Something has to give.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
I'll answer my own post since I just read an article about it...EA says that exact times will vary, but we can expect things to go down early morning on the 13th...after that, the team at DICE has just about a month to fine tune the thing, iron out balance issues, and prepare for the inevitable launch day onslaught

I just posted it. How hard is it to read a few posts in a one page? Haha!

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/653785876556713984

"Set your clocks as the #StarWarsBattlefront Beta goes offline in just under 11 hours! October 13th, 8 AM PST / 5 PM CEST."

That's everyone's answer on when the beta will end exactly.

Ah! Damn. I can see matches being decided in the last five minutes if there are good pilots, then -- at least in Hoth.

Of note, if you jump into a match, and see people fucking camping in the uplink area and NOT activating it (like, there were 3-5 of them there), I suggest quitting ASAP. Don't waste your time with morons. I even had one teammate who was camped at the spawn point with a Cycler sniper. Holy shit on a stick! Battlefield wookies already in Battlefront!

DICE should give them a "I'mma campa Wookie!" skin or something. Either that or DICE should really let us "tag" players and their playstyles so we know which people to avoid being in a squad with (Guy spends 80 percent of his time as Recon, fave weapon is a sniper with 200% zoom is a good indicator to avoid him at all costs).

Took a second shot at it with a friend, and oh my god, the exploitation of the spawning system was even worse than the first session I played. People seem to have learned the 'meta' of how to effectively pull it off. Just no fun whatsoever. The whole experience to unlock necessary equipment is a huge turnoff for people too, I had forgotten how annoying it was until he was complaining about not having any of the clearly important equipment being fresh (after which I had him copy my loud-out via partner, but still).

Freiya

I'm just mad that they made light saber game play a power up. That is the most depressing thing to me and totally kills the game for me. Going to be hard to convince myself to overlook and buy the game anyway. I did enjoy it more than Halo 5 though ;0

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Is there a list or details of what weapons, items and other gadgets we can unlock in the full game yet?

Nothing yet. I suspect they will release it this week or next given they announced game modes and the Season Pass yesterday.

Took a second shot at it with a friend, and oh my god, the exploitation of the spawning system was even worse than the first session I played. People seem to have learned the 'meta' of how to effectively pull it off. Just no fun whatsoever. The whole experience to unlock necessary equipment is a huge turnoff for people too, I had forgotten how annoying it was until he was complaining about not having any of the clearly important equipment being fresh (after which I had him copy my loud-out via partner, but still).

Spawn system definitely needs work. Simple fix is putting an out of bounds thing to where spawns are or making them farther out. I do know DICE is working on it, so hopefully it gets fixed in the final release. Enemies shouldn't be able to spawn camp at any time. That's just bad design.

For the equipment, grenades unlock at level 2 (which you can get to in one match), and the other important equipment is the jump pack. Yeah, they can make that an earlier unlock or maybe give it to everyone? But it might screw around with the balance. And heck, snipers already abusing it to get to perches. :(

I'm just mad that they made light saber game play a power up. That is the most depressing thing to me and totally kills the game for me. Going to be hard to convince myself to overlook and buy the game anyway. I did enjoy it more than Halo 5 though ;0

There are different modes. And some are Hero-centric. Read 'em here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1123306

You can bet your ass I'll be playing that Hero mode! :D

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh man. I am going to miss the Beta. After being lukewarm with Dropzone, playing Walker Assault really turned me around. I had an incredible amount of fun, the variety, tactics and map layout & progression are just phenomenal. So much fun, and so much to learn. Can't wait for the final game.

JimiNutz

Banned

Hopefully new players can earn credits to unlock things by playing Missions/SP offline in the final game so that they don't start MP at a big disadvantage.

New players are already at a huge disadvantage in the sense that they need to learn how to play the game against more experienced players, they don't need to be at an even bigger disadvantage because they haven't unlocked the best equipment yet.

I do feel sorry for people new to the game when I'm raining heavy blaster fire down on them from above while I jetpack around the map. Meanwhile they are trying to shoot me from ground with what must feel in comparison like a pea shooter.

Oh man. I am going to miss the Beta. After being lukewarm with Dropzone, playing Walker Assault really turned me around. I had an incredible amount of fun, the variety, tactics and map layout & progression are just phenomenal. So much fun, and so much to learn. Can't wait for the final game.

Agreed. The gameplay itself maybe arcade, but there is depth to the mission.

Syncytia

Agreed. The gameplay itself maybe arcade, but there is depth to the mission.

I'm also going to miss the beta... Although arcade gameplay seems like a bad word I'm happy about it. My go to MP games right now are BF4 and Halo MCC but if I'm spent with one, I won't want to play the other. Will be nice to have this and Halo 5 to jump between.

Also really looking forward to the other games modes which I'm 90% sure I'm going to enjoy more than the two available for the beta.

Well that Beta was the most fun I've had online in years. Haven't really invested in a multiplayer game for quite some time after getting burned out on Battlefield 3. But coming back and playing this was so much fun. Especially with a few friends.

Definite purchase for me. Even if the game does end up being a bit light on content I had great fun.

Hagi

I didn't really enjoy walker assault but drop zone is super fun so I'm really happy with the beta. Think it may be the map I'm not too keen on with the former, hopefully I take to some of the other maps better. Looking forward to trying out some of the other game modes on release.

DarkTom

I ended yesterday with my first Rebels win in Assault Walker, at the last phase.
Thanks to the guy who was controlling the AT-AT (the left one from the imperials point of view). He was bad because he wasn't destroying the turrets and it leaded us to the win.

I was playing significatively better too. I made some killstreaks with Vader and the AT-AT. I had a "decent" K/D ratio (with decent I mean deaths count was less than twice the kills count) and realise some objectives.
I made it to top 3 of my team twice. Obviously those times the team lost, if I am that high my teammates have to be really bad lol, but still.

I tried the flying vehicles too but I'm not good with them yet. The training mode will change that hopefully in the final game.

So I had great fun with the beta, especially in Assault Walker (I was not good enough for Drop Zone when I played it, and the survival solo mission was quite boring). I'll be there for the full release.

deadfolk

Does anyone else have problems with really choppy audio during loads on the PS4? Sorry if this has been asked, I searched the thread a bit, but didn't see anything. Not a big deal, but it's kind of irritating me.

I get this on both PS4 and PC.

It seems odd to me that they would not get that sorted before putting it in front of people. It creates a bad first impression. Makes the cynical part of me wonder if this was not a deliberate move to remind everyone that is it still in beta, lol.

Tainted

So played 6 rounds on the PS4..witnessed the rebels win on Hoth 3x in a row.....yes it is possible, you just need a really, really bad team

..and yes, I was on that really, really bad team :)

Top Bottom