• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

I never play online MP games, and I loved my time with this beta, so I guess I'll be buying the game. Looking forward to co-op with friends and: ENDOR.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
This game... love it! Even stopped playing Gears because of this beta!

Can't wait for full release, gonna be a blast!

Samus4145

How you are spawned in vehicles needs to change before the game releases. That couple seconds when you don't have control of your ship is pretty nasty. In one game, there were ships on the other team basically camping the edges of the map for spawning ships. Before you even have control, you are locked on and instantly killed.

Also, one time, I knelt down to spawn a vehicle and nothing happened. Is there a limit or something and I just happened to do it at the precise moment someone else did?

Hopefully I can squeeze in a few more games after work is done today.

I've really enjoyed the beta and I'm a Star Wars nut who hasn't played a decent SW game since Force Unleashed.

The number of modes has me sold too, just fix up a few balance issues DICE and this will be my go to MP game for a while.

How you are spawned in vehicles needs to change before the game releases. That couple seconds when you don't have control of your ship is pretty nasty. In one game, there were ships on the other team basically camping the edges of the map for spawning ships. Before you even have control, you are locked on and instantly killed.

Also, one time, I knelt down to spawn a vehicle and nothing happened. Is there a limit or something and I just happened to do it at the precise moment someone else did?

Spawning vehicles can be broken. On a couple occasions nothing has happened for me as well and you lose the pick up which is annoying.

Also yeah that crucial 3-4 seconds where you can't control your ship is a weird decision. Hope they fix that too.

Cdgilbert

I am planning on getting the PCs version for my son. He uses a Xbox controller.

Will most players be using keyboard and mouse? If so, will he be at a disadvantage?

abbyabs

Will most players be using keyboard and mouse? If so, will he be at a disadvantage?

I assume most people will using mouse & keyboard due to the superior aiming and it being a PC game.

cjp

I wonder if they'll let us choose our laser colour in the final game.

I want to shoot green, not red.

chrismahon

Neo Member

If he plays the objective based modes he'll be fine honestly. I play with a controller on PC and whilst I'm never at the top of the K/D ratios I never feel like I am completely out of my depth.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Disavantage on foot, avantage on air.

I wouldn't be so sure about that air advantage for a couple reasons. Some of the best pilots in DICE's other series are m&k, on top of that there are plenty of us who switch to controller for flying. :)

But yeah, he is going to get wrecked on foot. Be getting headshot before he even steers his crosshairs onto a target.

Scoot2005

Banned
Just went down for maintenance. Think it will be back up at 10 EDT? I only just played it today and had fun. The only other MP FPS I really played was Killzone Shadowfall and this blows that one out of the water on the fun scale. Think I would like BF 4?

Edit - Also, PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO RESET THE FUCKING TIMER ON THE FUCKING ESCAPE PODS.

SpaceWolf

Banned
"Man knows no greater pleasure than storming down the hallways of the Rebel Base as Darth Vader on the Hoth, forcing choking rebels and generally feeling like a bad-ass" -William Shakespeare.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
Just went down for maintenance. Think it will be back up at 10 EDT? I only just played it today and had fun. The only other MP FPS I really played was Killzone Shadowfall and this blows that one out of the water on the fun scale. Think I would like BF 4?

Edit - Also, PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO RESET THE FUCKING TIMER ON THE FUCKING ESCAPE PODS.

Have to admit the first couple matches I played I did not see the button prompt to reset the pod (playing on PS4).

I didnt get a chance to play since the weekend, but is there a way in the options to swap sticks for Throttle and flight controls? I started up a Tie Fighter and crashed straight into a mountain.

Ozorov

BF4 is a totally different game, I dont like it that much but I love this beta.

You mean pressing E / Square?

MADGAME

I hope the beta is still going this evening, would love to get one more night of playtime.

Last night I spawned as Imperial, to the right of the mountain. I turned around to jetpack to the left where the downed AT-AT is, and while jetpacking I clipped a rock then something weird happened - I jetpacked directly through the mountain and landed on the other side.

Seems that Rebels can win Walker Assault if they get at least 3 Y-wing bombers per phase. Anything less and the window is too small to do enough damage.

Cdgilbert

Thanks.

I will get him to have go tonight with Keyboard and mouse.

Otherwise I will go down PS4 route. Was favouring pc for graphic reasons.

He'll be at a disadvantage but if he's MUCH better with a controller vs kbm, he'll be fine.

I have a friend who plays Battlefield on X1 almost every day. When he got a PC, he just hooked his controller to it and played with that. Routinely in the top half of the scoreboard and often came out with a good k/d.

Still, though, if he's willing to learn kbm, have him use that.

mosdl

Played some more today on PC and instead of the aircraft not being controllable for a few secs it now seems to play a small animation and then you get control immediately.

Jabba

Banned
Cripes, some people. Had a chance to win again as the Alliance. There was a dude hiding in a bubble instead of unloading on the last AT AT. It was down to a sliver of health. Could have made the difference. Three off us did great damage in the air, on the first uplink bombing run, both were down to 50%. I got shot down a little afterwards.

Guy/Gal prolly saving K/D ratio. WhoTF knows?

Has anyone played on all three systems? How was the performance for each?

I played around five hours on the xbox one and came away pretty disappointed with the performance. It wasn't anything major, but there was either framerate issues, lag, clunky controls or something that was throwing off a completely smooth experience. I then played on my pc last night for about 30 minutes and it felt like a completely different game. It was extremely smooth and preformed quite well. I'm now seriously considering picking it up on pc.

My main question is, how is the performance on the ps4? I'm getting one in November (thanks Taco Bell!) and I was thinking about picking up Battlefront for the ps4. If the gameplay isn't smooth I don't want it. For those who have played on pc and ps4, how is the performance on the ps4 version compared to the pc. For those who played on ps4 and xbox one, did you noticed performance issues with the xbox one compared to the ps4?

I played around five hours on the xbox one and came away pretty disappointed with the performance. It wasn't anything major, but there was either framerate issues, lag, clunky controls or something that was throwing off a completely smooth experience. I then played on my pc last night for about 30 minutes and it felt like a completely different game. It was extremely smooth and preformed quite well. I'm now seriously considering picking it up on pc.

My main question is, how is the performance on the ps4? I'm getting one in November (thanks Taco Bell!) and I was thinking about picking up Battlefront for the ps4. If the gameplay isn't smooth I don't want it. For those who have played on pc and ps4, how is the performance on the ps4 version compared to the pc. For those who played on ps4 and xbox one, did you noticed performance issues with the xbox one compared to the ps4?

It was very smooth on the PS4. Stable frame rate, good controls, and the servers were pretty stable for me with a few exceptions (some rubberbanding going on).

kendrid

Banned

It was completely smooth on the PS4 and I rarely had lag issues. It is also very pretty. The only bug I ran into was that the sound was choppy when the map was loading. Once the match began the sound was fine.

Ive played on all.

PC and PS4 ran fine for me. Very smooth.

XboxOne version wasnt as good as the other because of the Performance issues i had. But this was mostly because of the New Dashboard which is unfinished and very buggy by itself.

Dibils2k

i am getting this on X1, shooters just feel better on xbox controller

although i can clearly see the difference in image clarity. which is what made the decision tough but after playing both beta's i just enjoyed it on xbox more

pmj

I suck bigtime at aiming it seems. I had the feeling that I lost way more up close one on one duels than I won and decided to count my wins for two games and ended up at zero.

I usually die almost instantly and I can't ever kill my opponent, since I get mostly misses or body shots. You'd think that pure chance would occasionally grant me a couple of headshots, but nope. I can't blame anyone but myself here, but that doesn't make it any less frustrating.

Flight controls are totally fucked. It's super sensitive, which I guess is good for when you need to make quick turns, but I try as I might, I can never keep anything in my crosshairs as the tiniest motion on the sticks lead to wild swings in the game.

And when an enemy fighter turns up we inevitably end up circling each other, neither willing to try to get some distance, as that would open you up to an attack. And then something shoots me, and it's often hard to know what, and I'm dead. So far that's every attempt at flying for me.

But I also spent about 5 hours on the beta so it's obviously doing something right. And I'm not even a Star Wars fan.

Top Bottom