• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars Battlefront Beta Thread: He’s holding a thermal detonator!

belushy

Banned
I had fun, but I'm not sure I'll get it at launch. I'll have to see all the maps and game modes in action, but it looks like there is a lot of variety.

Its a small miricle that this game disnt frustrate me, at least on the walker assault mode. I usully avoid competitive mp because i just get upset by it, even when i do really good, but for some reason i stayed calm kn this game, even playing as the guaranteed to loose rebels. I think it must just be the way the game shifts across a battlefield rather then remaining in a tight little maze of corridors to get shotgunned or meleed around every corner like is the problem with many other shooters. It felt fair, and remained interesting by changing locations. Plus its star wars, which was my first assumption, but then i played droppod and it was the same old bullshit again, but even worse because that map is horribly designed with only a single discernable landmark, so every time i spawned i had to look around to even get my barring, only to usually be spawn killed.

Long story short, i may actually play walker assult outside bot mode, its a miricle.

Boke1879

I think it should have some form of ingame chat but I guess for modes like Walker Assault it would be kind of a clusterfuck with 20 people all screaming.

This just reinforces though that you better party up with some people and use voice chat that way.

watership

Meh. Wasn't looking to voice chat with randoms anyway. The voice chat built into Origin worked fine during the Beta.

It's not just randoms though. If you are in a game, and use the game to invite friends, it will party them up, but you won't hear them. You have to double up parties.. party in game first, then party in XBL/PSN after to hear your friends.

I thought I was losing my mind, or the system was just not implemented yet. Nope.

So many effin' corners cut in this game. It's getting on my nerves. EA knows it will sell and only worries about it looking like a game.

Boke1879

It's not just randoms though. If you are in a game, and use the game to invite friends, it will party them up, but you won't hear them. You have to double up parties.. party in game first, then party in XBL/PSN after to hear your friends.

I thought I was losing my mind, or the system was just not implemented yet. Nope.

So many effin' corners cut in this game. It's getting on my nerves. EA knows it will sell and only worries about it looking like a game.

It should some form of voice chat. That's something that honestly should be added via patch. Wonder if people will make enough noise about it?

Venom Fox

Banned
I gotta be honest, that's pretty annoying.

That's pretty ridiculous for PS4.

So I can't chat with anyone on my team without being in system party chat? What an asinine decision.

Think it deserves its own thread. We can't be only the ones that find that ludicrous.
IGn clickbait articles, DICE never mentioned PS4 or Xbox one, the tweet specifically referred to PC only. I'm not saying there will be voice chat on consoles, but as I said DICE only mentioned PC.

Zekes!

Man, I enjoyed what I played of the beta. I'm not a huge online MP shooter player, but occasionally I'll really get into one like Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory back in the day.

I just don't want to have to play a million dollars Canadian for the Ultimate Edition, nor do I want to miss out on content.

MADGAME

Going to be a long 5 weeks for me until the game releases. Haven't had this much fun in a shooter since Warhawk. My final stats from the beta and highest score:

STAR%20WARStrade%20Battlefronttrade%20Beta_20151012222846_zpstop8afsz.png

STAR%20WARStrade%20Battlefronttrade%20Beta_20151012213404_zpsltruxwgf.png

Forgot to snag a screen of my progress bar, but it was almost 600,000.

Krentist

Neo Member
One thing that bothers me--and its a minor thing, but Luke really should be wearing his hoth suit and rocking his ESB blue lightsaber on the hoth map:

2159-commander-luke-skywalker-hoth-003.jpg

It seems like a minor thing, but as a fan seeing him run around Hoth in his ROTJ get up seems silly. They've got too much man power and money not to get details like that correct.

Yeah I was thinking about that too. Probably a combination of two things: 1) The black suit makes him stand out from other Rebels and the snow better for visibility purposes, and 2) they're being cheapskates and just opting for his ROTJ gear since his Hoth gear wouldn't be able to be a simple reskin.

Naudi

Banned
MAAAANNN....Just got off work really wanted to play a few more rounds. This has made all my other games feel boring lol going to be a long month.

Azriell

I've heard a lot of people saying Walker Assault is unbalanced. I think a big part of the problem is people don't know how to play yet. It took me a couple of days before I realized what uplinks do. As people figured out how to take them down, I started seeing more rebel victories. I'm sure everyone leveling up and unlocking Ion Shot, the second grenade, the LMG (you know the gun I'm talking about), and the rifle also helps, and I'm sure there will be plenty of other unlocks that make it easier for the rebels.

MADGAME

I thought this was a cool shot from the beta. After this guy died his body stuck to the ceiling, it looks like a Wampa strung him up like Luke in ESB. Even looks like he's force-reaching for his lightsaber

STAR%20WARStrade%20Battlefronttrade%20Beta_20151009205034_zps88sbbgzs.png

watership

I thought this was a cool shot from the beta. After this guy died his body stuck to the ceiling, it looks like a Wampa strung him up like Luke in ESB. Even looks like he's force-reaching for his lightsaber

STAR%20WARStrade%20Battlefronttrade%20Beta_20151009205034_zps88sbbgzs.png

It would have been very nice if you ran through the back of the base you had a chance of running into a Wampa coming out of one of the doors. (Like the cut scene in Empire.)

JDHarbs

It would have been very nice if you ran through the back of the base you had a chance of running into a Wampa coming out of one of the doors. (Like the cut scene in Empire.)
Wampa caves are actually going to be in other modes. I'm not sure if Wampas will actually appear though. Would be neat to see.

MADGAME

Wampas and Tauntauns would be so cool on a Hoth map. Maybe we'll be surprised in another game mode, like Droid Run.

Mindlog

Wampas can kill you if you run out of bounds. I died to them twice (on purpose) after running at the AT-AT to throw my Ion grenades.

Of course you never actually see the Wampas.

wrongway

Aww, show's over? For some reason I thought it ended this evening. Wanted to get a few more rounds in.

Ah well, not long until the autumn and winter game rush I guess. Still... :[

As far as I know, it displayed rank 3 in that screen for everyone, for at least my friends and others posts I've seen. I was rank 5 in game though.

Ah interesting, thanks. I wonder why...

Wampas can kill you if you run out of bounds. I died to them twice (on purpose) after running at the AT-AT to throw my Ion grenades.

Of course you never actually see the Wampas.

You got my hopes up as I realized I never tried going out of bounds on Hoth.

DavidDesu

Silly question but I've had a look at the Deluxe version of this and what it contains. Apart from two "emotes" (really, do people care about this shit?) that state they are exclusive, the other few items are all just in game item unlocks, including the Ion Grenade, which I'm pretty sure you unlocked in the Beta in about 5 minutes. am I missing something here?!?!

It sounds like these 4 or 5 items will be in the game, you simply unlock them immediately by spending an extra $10. This is mental. Who pays for this crap? I'm getting the game, and absolutely loved the Beta but often I look at these Deluxe editions of games and the additional stuff you get is pathetic, it's sad people get roped in and actually pay for it. It sort of reflects negatively on their mental health it's that bad! you're paying for nothing, or saving yourself 30 minutes of in game time to unlock them. It's crazy! :p

WarWolf

Silly question but I've had a look at the Deluxe version of this and what it contains. Apart from two "emotes" (really, do people care about this shit?) that state they are exclusive, the other few items are all just in game item unlocks, including the Ion Grenade, which I'm pretty sure you unlocked in the Beta in about 5 minutes. am I missing something here?!?!

It sounds like these 4 or 5 items will be in the game, you simply unlock them immediately by spending an extra $10. This is mental. Who pays for this crap? I'm getting the game, and absolutely loved the Beta but often I look at these Deluxe editions of games and the additional stuff you get is pathetic, it's sad people get roped in and actually pay for it. It sort of reflects negatively on their mental health it's that bad! you're paying for nothing, or saving yourself 30 minutes of in game time to unlock them. It's crazy! :p

But that sweet Stormtrooper box cover...

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My verdict on the beta: I liked it, and it made me interested in picking it up. It's not as well thought out as Battlefield 4, particularly Walker Assault, and the way powers/weapons/vehicles are distributed. The moment-to-moment gameplay loop seems less about adaptability in these cases and meta play of your class, with a higher degree of randomisation in encounter difficulty which can borderline on frustration. I feel that hurts the overall investment, as though Battlefield 4 can be monumentally frustrating, Conquest 64 with the class/equipment/vehicle setup is more welcoming to diverse strategy over Battlefront's Walker Assault. And this might be deliberate to keep the game simple and accessible, but I certainly prefer the Battlefield 4 setup. That being said I found the core combat formula satisfying enough in its simplicity to have fun, particularly in modes like Drop Zone where moving quickly around the map and jetpacking provides a fun, arcade like run-and-gun formula that you don't see in Battlefield. Matchmaking and being unable to see my ping is very disappointing and a fairly big deterrent, but I can get over that, as is the lack of a campaign. It's the kind of game I know, despite it's faults, if I owned I'd still play a fair bit and have plenty of fun. It helps the production quality is high; the game looks and sounds outstanding, which leads to a lot of Battlefield-like "cinematic" moments in Walker Assault driven by the players rather than scripting, and that's very cool. I can understand criticisms over the simplicity and arguable balance/formula issues, but the game certainly isn't broken, and I think that's important. Balance issues aside, shooting the guy works just fine, and having tools and equipment that expand the formula to something more science fiction and wild over Battlefield's semi-realism is very welcome.

So yeah, I think it's fun, if clearly made within limited scope probably due to the end-of-year deadline. It works, the production is impressive, and there's good ideas in there that differentiate it from Battlefield, even if they don't all come together as well as they maybe could. I'd like to buy it, and the season pass, but the Origin price is a bit too high for my liking. If I can find a cheaper option, maybe from a key distributor, I'll likely jump on board.

Top Bottom