• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Broken Age seems super...obtuse. At least this second part does, im having a rough time with it, I dont remember having much trouble with part 1

In the second part you have to do some stuff with one character in order to be able to do some stuff with the other one, so don't try to finish one character and then move to the other, you should play both at the "same" time.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
In the second part you have to do some stuff with one character in order to be able to do some stuff with the other one, so don't try to finish one character and then move to the other, you should play both at the "same" time.

yeah im noticing that

ArjanN

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is seriously one of the funnest fighting games I've ever played.

edit: first top of page post get!

Yeah, Revelator is great.

Broken Age seems super...obtuse. At least this second part does, im having a rough time with it, I dont remember having much trouble with part 1

Yes, the 2nd part is way more obtuse, which I think was probably a reaction to people thinking the first part was too easy, I don't really agree, as IMO the best part of the Lucasarts adventure games was always the characters/writing/humor etc, and the puzzles were mostly just a vehicle for that, and getting stuck for longer periods actively detracts from it because it just leads to a bunch of backtracking and repeatedly hearing the same lines. Still think it was a a pretty decent game overall.

It's more difficult then the first part, so it feels quite different. I found it to still be a bit on the easy side compared to older adventure games. They give away quite a lot of hints in the dialogue.

Yeah, Revelator is great.
Yes, the 2nd part is way more obtuse, which I think was probably a reaction to people thinking the first part was too easy, I don't really agree, as IMO the best part of the Lucasarts adventure games was always the characters/writing/humor etc, and the puzzles were mostly just a vehicle for that, and getting stuck for longer periods actively detracts from it because it just leads to a bunch of backtracking and repeatedly hearing the same lines. Still think it was a a pretty decent game overall.

Nah, it might be true for some games like Sam&Max, Grim Fandango and Indiana Jones, but the puzzles are large part of what makes games like Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle great. (IMHO and stuff like that of course though).

Speaking in general, and not about anyone in this forum, I think a lot of the reactions towards the second part of Broken Age was just about people not having the same patience for adventure games now as they had before. Some of the reviewers were downright embarrasing about that.

Tizoc

Speaking of:

GAMEPUMP - any clues as to what the first/any games will be?

Groupees - any good bundles to spend these silly coins on?

Yogscast Bundle - man oh man it's trash. oh well.

Anything i've missed?
Yogcast bndle is fine esp. If one doesnt own many of the games in it
Even if one desired say 10 games from there theyd jave gotten them for $3 each
Fyi all proceeds go to charity

maguskain

Bought Witcher 3 last sale

Regretted not getting the DLCs

Still haven't come close to finishing TW3

whateverthegifforawisepurchasingdecisionis.gif

I feel even worse because I'm like 2/3rds of the way through and while I really liked the game, I can't bring myself to finish it. And I can't figure out why.

ArjanN

Definitely hold for Dishonored. It's not bad, but if you feel like a sucker on Deus Ex, which was the better game, you'll be hurt with Dishonored.

Nah Dishonored is easily the better game, although both are worth playing.

Nah, it might be true for some games like Sam&Max, Grim Fandango and Indiana Jones, but the puzzles are large part of what makes games like Monkey Island 1, Monkey Island 2 and Day of the Tentacle great.

Speaking in general, and not about anyone in this forum, I think a lot of the reactions towards the second part of Broken Age was just about people not having the same patience for adventure games now as they had before. Some of the reviewers were downright embarrasing about that.

I mean, the puzzles still matter of course and often the puzzle solutions essentially were the punchlines of the jokes. But it's a pretty fine balance to keep you moving through and I think having puzzles that completely stop the pacing dead in it's tracks is a mistake.in something that's pretty lighthearted and story focused.

user237

Groupees - any good bundles to spend these silly coins on?

The Build a Bundle groupees tend to be the best for spending coins, since you can get 2 games for a $1 coin, or 4 games for a $2 coin. Groupees doesn't give change for coins, so you don't want to spend a good coin on a cheaper bundle.

Vazduh

Resi 7 teaser:

WBacon said:
1 hour ago
Demo Patch
Hi everyone,

We've been monitoring user feedback on the forums and have noted that customers with older CPU models that lack support for SSE4.x are experiencing launch and crashing issues. (e.g., Intel Core2 series, AMD Phenom II and earlier)

While we don't have a specific ETA at this time, the Dev team is looking to address this in an upcoming patch. We'll share more info as we make progress on this front.

Thanks for your patience and please stay tuned for an update.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/418370/discussions/0/152392549354995616/

ArjanN

Yeah I have to admit being a little puzzled that people are upset about save importing not working properly. Not a single choice in these telltale games has ever mattered... Why would it start now?

The choices matter in the sense that they change the tone of the game while you make them. The fact that branches usually end up right back in the same place is largely irrelevant and I find it kinda silly that seems to go over head of people claiming the choices don't matter.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why is this so expensive? (or trying to be, as nobody has bought it)

It doesn't even show up on profile, so it doesn't even give +1, so basically useless even for collecting.

Well, Valve could remove the section_type flag as in this case it serves no purpose... but the likelihood of such a request being actioned is small. I mean, the ticket I created August last year regarding the Estetiika dev spitefully attaching literally every redist of the time to the app was never actioned even though the move needlessly inflated the install size by around a gig. I was still on ADSL at the time, so, hey, a gig was and is no small amount!

Mivey

The choices matter in the sense that they change the tone of the game while you make them. The fact that branches usually end up right back in the same place is largely irrelevant and I find it kinda silly that seems to go over head of people claiming the choices don't matter.
Largely irrelevant? If shaping the tone is more important than actually changing the final outcome, they should not advertise it as choices, but as choosing flavours.
And honestly, without the changes in outcome and basically no puzzles, all that is left in these nuAdventures is the story and writing, and honestly, it doesn't impress me. Sure, its good for video game standards, but that is a low bar. A bar, mind you, that they are not really raising upward.

ArjanN

Largely irrelevant? If shaping the tone is more important than actually changing the final outcome, they should not advertise it as choices, but as choosing flavours.
And honestly, without the changes in outcome and basically no puzzles, all that is left in these nuAdventures is the story and writing, and honestly, it doesn't impress me. Sure, its good for video game standards, but that is a low bar. A bar, mind you, that they are not really raising upward.

I mean that most people don't realize that having a bunch of different outcomes actually isn't very interesting.

Especially since, like in real life, most of the time it's not clear what choice will lead to which outcome.

Most of the choices are also clearly written as moral dilemmas. A couple of (hypothetical) examples: you notice a friend left his wallet lying around and you can steal from it or not, or you suspect someone might have been infected with a zombie virus, do you send them off to die or do you take the risk of letting them stay? Do you beat a confession out of this suspect that probably did it? etc.

What's interesting about those choices is what they say about you and your character, not so much what ultimately happens as a consequence later.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
yeah Broken Age part 2 is making me feel real dumb, im looking at walkthroughs a lot more this time. I just dont have the patience anymore for being stuck in these games, and in most cases the solution isnt even something I would have naturally tried, the game seems to have doubled down on using same things twice which is a big no no in my opinion, you usually assume you are done with something.

Example: The
prison door where the girls are, you mess with the control panel to reveal they are there, then you do the whole thing with the cereal and getting the hook and whatnot, thats all fine, so you would assume you were done with that for now, but no, you need to go click the panel again so it triggers an alarm.

Another example, the
snake. I actually did notice she was kinda getting drowsy the first time, but nothing was happening so I blew the horn. Turns out it takes fucking ages (im talking 45 seconds if not 1 minute) for the snake to actually release you, I would never wait that long with nothing happening tbh.

I dunno maybe its just me, im really not feeling part 2, kinda just want to get it over with now.

Tizoc

Vermintide isn't a single player game, it's more akin to Melee weapon focused Left 4 Dead sans the Wizard which is mostly spellcaster. It takes a while to ramp up imo but I like it a decent amount. There's no versus or anything but each character gets different weapons that promote different play styles and learning each ones job for your team and how you fit in becomes pretty essential and more important than L4D in my opinion.

That said, like L4D, every character has the same mechanics sans the Bright Wizard which is a spellcaster with an overheat system, but distinct nuances of how to deal with the rats and fit in your party. The Elf can get a bow that shoots Trueflight Homing arrows to easily rid of single hazardous specials or she can get the Hagbane Poison Cloud arrow tips that can impact with giant gas clouds that poisons tons of rats in the area to clear thick waves of rats. For the most part though, the main gameplay is pretty much what you'd expect from L4D with +1 fantasy weapons, you learn how to slash with small weapons being quicker but hit less rats but can headshot for higher damage, or big weapons that either hit super hard for one rat or hit masses of rats, you learn how to push and backdash to kite rats while killing or do what ever job you feel fits with your dudes.

For example, The Dwarf character is wielding a hammer+shield melee with a fireball shooting pistols (very particular loadout) for ranged, this dwarf playing to his melee weapon can stun the entire wave infront of him if playing proper, and keep them stunned, but his tools do very little AOE damage to actually clear and kill the rats rather than stun them, he can switch inbetween stuns to the flame pistols to give them flame dots and such but won't immediately help to the literal 50-100 rats infront of him at that very moment. Meanwhile behind the Dwarf could be the Wizard with a Conflaguration staff, when taking time to charge without being hit, she can lay down a massive fire rune/trap on the ground dealing massive aoe damage to an area, but getting hit cancels charge and an immediate rune has less radius and damage.

In the same scenario, the Dwarf might be able to keep a horde of normal rats at bay but a Packmaster (a special like the L4D2 jockey) might slip between the normal rats being meat shields to capture a play him and pull him through the horde as the Dwarf doesn't have direct damage in this loadout to pick him off immediately. Instead the Dwarf could've used a single shot rifle that only deals damage to 2 rats, immediate and passthrough penetrated target, but does massive damage to those to pick off Packmaster before he hides in the wave. That said, if he wanted to he could also of chose a Pickaxe or other melee weapon to play more a damage dealing fighter.

Game has a loot system for progression. Honestly from the begging its kind of slow and a drag, but your definitely notice the power growth by mid/later game. Get loot by finishing maps and rolling dice for loot on a table, higher number better loot. Collecting items that can make that map harder during that run can guarantee you dice success or give you better dice in general for easier rolls. Each level start from white to Green/Blue/Orange
will give better flatout damage and add a trait perk. Traits can be things like insta kill chance, healing on hit, harder pushes, attack speed buff on hit, or passives like that and higher quality items give you up to 3 different traits on one weapon. You can turn in 5 lower quality weapons to upgrade to the next tier, or melt them for ore to use them for many things such as reroll their traits or gamble on a loot drop. After you beat every non-dlc map once, you get a quest board that will give you options for guaranteed rewards such as weapons you can choose form and ore for doing the daily's mission+objective such as killing and Ogre/Tank.

Cataclysm is the highest difficulty and you can get through it pretty much the same way you could with other difficulties even with your starting weapons just with little to zero mistakes, that said for best case scenario you will need Orange-pseudo highest tier upgraded weapons to play it to have any fun as you'd probably have to hit a normal trash rat like 5 times to kill it. That said the upgrade system is pretty noticeable, rats die much easier or waves cleared way faster, and you get very simple diabloesque traits on your weapons to cultivate your gameplay style. It isn't big enough to make builds or minmax, but definitely noticeable and give you a big power boost feel (ex. there's a trait called killing blow that normally has 15% chance to instakill a human sized rat on hit, i have it on a fast hitting weapon that hits up to 4 rats in range and I see them melt all the time, there's also an enhanced version of that with 3% to kill any rat. I've killed a Rat Ogre (L4D Tank) instantly and saw it's body pulverized flying across the room due to the proc.

tldr+endgame;
-Play with friends but its semi decent enough as L4D to just be with randos.
-Story is L4Dish kinda nothing, Characters *can be as charming as L4D1 at certain moments.
-L4D with +1 Fantasy Weapons as the focus instead of Guns *although there are still guns
-Plays a bit more tactile than pve L4D as you are more intimate with rats because of melee focus so understand your weapon (range/amount of targets can hit/amount of stamina left to block before you get destroyed) and how to kite
-Player progression is primarily through player skill not really any crazy super hidden mechanics but Difficulty/Loot+Damage thresholds are a factor because while you can beat every difficulty with starter weapons it's much funner to instakill rats and have sweet perks like healing yourself gives an aura that gives a heal to everyone on your team getting them out of black and white death.
-It is like <$9 for base game on greenman if you have vip account and code.

Thanks for the impressions, the elf's bow and arrow are pretty interesting but the multiplayer aspect isn't sitting well with me I must say, even though I could play it from time to time online to choke rats and whatnot with poison arrows.

Wok

I dunno maybe its just me, im really not feeling part 2, kinda just want to get it over with now.

So you force yourself to play a game just to get it over with and add a +1 to a virtual list of "completed" games. What is wrong with you? Play Eternal.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What have units been done until now? Just waited without spotting enemies until they get attacked?

basically there's "skip" and "sleep". Sleep means they're skipped over for consideration of still waiting units (since the game will not show the "End Your Turn" button until you have cycled all of your units), whereas skip is what I described for Sleep, except it's for that turn only. Of course it's just for formality, since you can still click a unit that you have skipped or put to sleep and make them do an action as long as they have movement points and you haven't clicked the end turn button.

Alert just means they'll be in sleep state, but when an enemy is nearby, the game will cycle through that unit.

ParityBit

7 pm French time, Steam sales will start.

10 minutes later, the Steam store will be down.

1 hour later, the Steam store will be up again.

The day after, steamdb.info will provide a customizable list of discounted games.

Thanks for that info! There are no flash sales right? What is there day 1 is there on the last day also? Sometimes I hate pressure buy situations, so this works for me.

Wok

Thanks for that info! There are no flash sales right? What is there day 1 is there on the last day also? Sometimes I hate pressure buy situations, so this works for me.

If it is like last year: yes.

The only daily thing is the voting for Steam awards, and maybe some additional voting to get free Steam holiday trading cards.

Mivey

Most of the choices are also clearly written as moral dilemmas. A couple of (hypothetical) examples: you notice a friend left his wallet lying around and you can steal from it or not, or you suspect someone might have been infected with a zombie virus, do you send them off to die or do you take the risk of letting them stay? Do you beat a confession out of this suspect that probably did it? etc.

What's interesting about those choices is what they say about you and your character, not so much what ultimately happens as a consequence later.
They cut out the consequences to save time and money. That you can have both moral dilemmas that define your character and get interesting outcomes is shown by almost all of Witcher 3 hundreds and hundreds of side quests.
Telltales Games feel like really cheap wine. No idea why some people get so hyped for their stuff. But I guess its nice that a lot of old Lucasarts guys found a way to keep making games, even if their games sacrificed everything that made those old ones interesting.

ArjanN

They cut out the consequences to save time and money. That you can have both moral dilemmas that define your character and get interesting outcomes is shown by almost all of Witcher 3 hundreds and hundreds of side quests.
Telltales Games feel like really cheap wine. No idea why some people get so hyped for their stuff. But I guess its nice that a lot of old Lucasarts guys found a way to keep making games, even if their games sacrificed everything that made those old ones interesting.

Nah, that's a way too reductive way to look at it.

Sure, they probably made those writing choices as a result of budget realities, but ultimately they change the experience of playing the game just as much as in the Witcher 3 IMO, so that's a moot point

Mivey

Sure, they probably made those writing choices as a result of budget realities, but ultimately they change the experience of playing the game just as much as in the Witcher 3 IMO, so that's a moot point
If I have to remember something by way of flashbacks instead of feeling changes in the game world, I don't see it as equally important. But I concede that this is wholly subjective. It's just ironic that, to this day, Telltale still seems to have bugs with regards to importing "choices". Maybe they don't notice it themselves? ;)

Rhaknar

So you force yourself to play a game just to get it over with and add a +1 to a virtual list of "completed" games. What is wrong with you? Play Eternal.

no, I like the story and I want to see where it goes. Man, it must suck being wrong all the time. I mean, being wrong sometimes, sure, but all the time? I guess its the cat avatar.

XShagrath

Especially when this thread loves Life is Strange and they copped out on the choices too with their endings.
That game is on my plate after I finish up LEGO Avengers. I played it last year up to the third chapter, and then got sidetracked. I'll be starting over, as I have no idea what I did.

Phox

Banned
New debit card came in today! just in time for the sale! And the money in my account got replaced with me having to report the transaction.

ArjanN

If I have to remember something by way of flashbacks instead of feeling changes in the game world, I don't see it as equally important. But I concede that this is wholly subjective. It's just ironic that, to this day, Telltale still seems to have bugs with regards to importing "choices". Maybe they don't notice it themselves? ;)

Oh I'll agree the technical problems are definitely an issue. Although to be fair I never really experienced much of those on the PC side but I've seen enough of their console versions to know they're pretty rough.

MadGear

I'm about to give Lightning Returns a try but feel a bit intimidated by the games time mechanic (as always). I have briefly looked into this mechanic and it seems that time is easier to manage on the easy difficulty because you get more of the resource required to freeze time but naturally choosing easy also lowers the combat difficulty. Can anyone recommend me which difficulty I should pick for this game?

I'm about to give Lightning Returns a try but feel a bit intimidated by the games time mechanic (as always). I have briefly looked into this mechanic and it seems that time is easier to manage on the easy difficulty because you get more of the resource required to freeze time but naturally choosing easy also lowers the combat difficulty. Can anyone recommend me which difficulty I should pick for this game?

I wouldn't worry about the time mechanic. I played on hard and was running out of things to do at the end. You have plenty of time to do most things in the game.

Sarcasm

I got vermintide peeps, hit me up.

Also I am going to try to play DS2 SoTFS, I am trying Sorc this time. Any tips on stat builds?

basically there's "skip" and "sleep". Sleep means they're skipped over for consideration of still waiting units (since the game will not show the "End Your Turn" button until you have cycled all of your units), whereas skip is what I described for Sleep, except it's for that turn only. Of course it's just for formality, since you can still click a unit that you have skipped or put to sleep and make them do an action as long as they have movement points and you haven't clicked the end turn button.

Alert just means they'll be in sleep state, but when an enemy is nearby, the game will cycle through that unit.

Thanks for explaining. In civ5 there is sleep for "doing nothing" next turns until you wake it up, skip for "doing nothing" one turn and alert is "standby" with a defensive position. So i was wondering if they had not the "alert mode" in the release game.

Xanathus

Can you play Vermintide single player? Like L4D? I have no friends :(

You can, note that it's like Diablo 3 where it's always online because your stats and items are stored server-side. There are bots if you're playing alone, but there are a fair number of active players if you open the server lobby browser in-game.

There's a shitload of extra time if you do the side-quests, the only way you can run out of time is if for some reason you're running around aimlessly doing nothing constructive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom