• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2016 - Winter (Sale) Is Coming Dec 22nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Thanks for explaining. In civ5 there is sleep for "doing nothing" next turns until you wake it up, skip for "doing nothing" one turn and alert is "standby" with a defensive position. So i was wondering if they had not the "alert mode" in the release game.

Nope, wasn't in the release

iirc Civ V also didn't had that originally and was patched in later lol

MadGear

I wouldn't worry about the time mechanic. I played on hard and was running out of things to do at the end. You have plenty of time to do most things in the game.

There's a shitload of extra time if you do the side-quests, the only way you can run out of time is if for some reason you're running around aimlessly doing nothing constructive.

Thanks guys, glad to hear it's less of an issue than I thought it would be.

I mean, the puzzles still matter of course and often the puzzle solutions essentially were the punchlines of the jokes. But it's a pretty fine balance to keep you moving through and I think having puzzles that completely stop the pacing dead in it's tracks is a mistake.in something that's pretty lighthearted and story focused.

They talked about that during the development of Broken Age, either in interviews or the documentary (don't exactly remember which one now), and that's the reason for the game having several puzzles going at once, just like Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle had.

Ron Gilbert has also emphasized the importance of this, and I think it's one aspect that many modern adventure games lack, where they are often just a linear sequence of puzzles, that makes them much less interesting, and where they shy any kind of difficulty.

If one compares Broken Age to another P&C classic, like Gabriel Knight 1, it really shows how easy Broken Age actually is. They just made a mistake with 1 or 2 puzzles that required the knowledge of the other character.

You can, note that it's like Diablo 3 where it's always online because your stats and items are stored server-side. There are bots if you're playing alone, but there are a fair number of active players if you open the server lobby browser in-game.

There's a shitload of extra time if you do the side-quests, the only way you can run out of time is if for some reason you're running around aimlessly doing nothing constructive.

Cool thanks. Going to get the humble monthly then.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I really dont know as i bought it complete. Im excited to play the 6th civ game, hopefully they add some more useful basic features from the past games.
basically it seems a bit less compared to complete Civ V but it's currently the best game as far as vanilla goes

Deques

Indiegala is having an X-mas bundle, with two more extra X:s

Not linking there in case it's bannable

Nothing is censored in the bundle page

The choices matter in the sense that they change the tone of the game while you make them. The fact that branches usually end up right back in the same place is largely irrelevant and I find it kinda silly that seems to go over head of people claiming the choices don't matter.

This is bizarre. You have difficulty understanding that people dislike the choices having no consequences? Because you think it's irrelevant that they don't affect the story?

Ludens

Banned
With Denuvo, what are the odds of someone modding the Bakers into Haunting Ground bosses or the Kool-aid guy in RE7?

Don'y mind people who say modding is impossible with Denuvo: it's not.
Otherwise, I don't know how possible is to put PS4 textures into a PS2 game.

Monooboe

YES! That joy when finally getting a foil sold for a good price! Now I can get one or two games this wintersale.:D

Still not enough for The House in Fata Morgana... I've also fallen for the hype.:D

Tizoc

YES! That joy when finally getting a foil sold for a good price! Now I can get one or two games this wintersale.:D

Still not enough for The House in Fata Morgana... I've also fallen for the hype.:D

Consider getting Ep. 1 of Higurashi at least if you could. When I played this on my iphone a few years ago it creeped the fuck out of me. It starts off looking uninteresting but once the creepy horror stuff start showing up you'll want the game to go back to the happy go lucky kids everyday life.

I just dont understand why we have to "confirm" to put each item on the market place. Steam already makes me authenticate my account at least once every 5 minutes isnt that enough!?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Especially when this thread loves Life is Strange and they copped out on the choices too with their endings.

I think what matters is a sense that your choices were relevant at some point, not that the ending explicitly reflects all choices. Life is Strange's endings didn't need to check in with Lisa The Plant because that was a little choice that had a little payoff and then was resolved. But i do think that the ending, broadly, incorporates choice in that
whether you play Max as in love with Chloe, in love with Warren for christ's sake who would do this why why why, both, or neither
-- and the section leading up to the ending incorporates almost every major choice you've made.

I think it's easy to say the final endings are very push button watch cutscene, and clearly one is intended and the other is an afterthought, but if you consider the whole of episode 5 as the ending the choices seem fairly rewarding to me.

Monooboe

Consider getting Ep. 1 of Higurashi at least if you could. When I played this on my iphone a few years ago it creeped the fuck out of me. It starts off looking uninteresting but once the creepy horror stuff start showing up you'll want the game to go back to the happy go lucky kids everyday life.

Will keep my eye on it! If the sale is any good then one episode should be quite cheap.

Jawmuncher

Ashley, you exist to get me a free magnum. We ain't bros. We don't watch True Blood on the weekends.

Spoiler tag it for me- is the campaign a net positive or negative?

Thread here. Some story and weapons, monsters, and other modes and potentially the final boss revealed.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=226976247#post226976247

Any good non-spoilery details?

I'll keep it vague, but there's a lot of weapons and enemies in the game. A few bonus modes, and multiple endings seem to be confirmed. The final boss might have been revealed as well.

I think what matters is a sense that your choices were relevant at some point, not that the ending explicitly reflects all choices. Life is Strange's endings didn't need to check in with Lisa The Plant because that was a little choice that had a little payoff and then was resolved. But i do think that the ending, broadly, incorporates choice in that
whether you play Max as in love with Chloe, in love with Warren for christ's sake who would do this why why why, both, or neither
-- and the section leading up to the ending incorporates almost every major choice you've made.

I think it's easy to say the final endings are very push button watch cutscene, and clearly one is intended and the other is an afterthought, but if you consider the whole of episode 5 as the ending the choices seem fairly rewarding to me.

Yeah, I can see that. Though what you mention is kinda how I feel about the Telltale games, at least for the majority. Even if major events stay the same, the fact that you can spice them up in your own way in a sense I think helps a lot.
The walking dead being the only one that continues, so I can see the complaint there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I'll keep it vague, but there's a lot of weapons and enemies in the game. A few bonus modes, and multiple endings seem to be confirmed. The final boss might have been revealed as well.

thats reassuring since it seemed like there was the redneck family and little else. or maybe I just havent been following the game enough.

Tizoc

Yo jshackles what did you say was the best ver. of the Fate series? Like if I were to get at least one game in the series this sale which one should I get?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yo jshackles what did you say was the best ver. of the Fate series? Like if I were to get at least one game in the series this sale which one should I get?

not the first let me tell you >_> shit's rough. I didnt try the others.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I am a Telltale fan generally (haven't played TWD S2 which I understand is one of the more frustrating) and I also like a lot of other choice-based stuff like David Cage's games. I even like Mass Effect 3's ending.

I will say that any choice-based game collapses if you go and actually look at how few different ways it could have went (i.e. a flowchart) -- they're all very illusory. But the question is whether or not your first time through the game whether you could tell what the flowchart would have looked like, or did it feel at the time like your choices mattered.

There's a part in TWD S1 where a situation occurs and you can save one of two people, which at the time feels very tense, but then maybe 20 minutes of gameplay later the person you saved dies and it's quite obvious what would have happened if you saved the other person and the story continues without either of them. That is an example of a poor execution IMHO.

Jawmuncher

I am a Telltale fan generally (haven't played TWD S2 which I understand is one of the more frustrating) and I also like a lot of other choice-based stuff like David Cage's games. I even like Mass Effect 3's ending.

I will say that any choice-based game collapses if you go and actually look at how few different ways it could have went (i.e. a flowchart) -- they're all very illusory. But the question is whether or not your first time through the game whether you could tell what the flowchart would have looked like, or did it feel at the time like your choices mattered.

There's a part in TWD S1 where a situation occurs and you can save one of two people, which at the time feels very tense, but then maybe 20 minutes of gameplay later the person you saved dies and it's quite obvious what would have happened if you saved the other person and the story continues without either of them. That is an example of a poor execution IMHO.

Yeah that's a good point. I feel similar in that regard as well, since I really enjoy that style of game. Most people here are gonna know how things go, but so long as it's not something to obvious like you made with the TWD S1 example, I think it works. I think it's part of the reason why achievement wise outside of TWAU, Telltale sets their achievements to more or less just be beat the game. Rather than go back and see everything.

Sch1sm

What have units been done until now? Just waited without spotting enemies until they get attacked?

They didn't react until you specifically commanded they attack that in range enemy unit. Stood there like they didn't know what they were meant to do. Gotta love it. Imagine how that flies over in war.

TBH I dunno how they left this out when it was patched into previous iterations. 💀

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I'd say your best bet is FATE: The Cursed King. It was released in 2011 so it's the newest of the games and has the best QoL improvements in the series. It's still not quite as accessible as Torchlight or Torchlight II, but it's still pretty good on it's own.

Rhaknar

I stopped Dragonfall at around 17 hours, how far from the ending was I, give or take? I really should go back and finish that :/

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

From the "your choice matters" games I've played (Telltale, etc), this seems like an accurate statement. The problem is that in the real world, major choices like this have rippling consequences that can have lasting effects on your own personal timeline and can affect choices you make or are presented with going forward. Telltale games do a pretty decent job at suspending disbelief and making you think that your choices matter in the game when in fact, they ultimately don't outside of a few branching pathways.

It's the same problem I had with "choose your own adventure" books as a kid - and I remember thinking "Some of the books had 150 pages! Wow this is going to be a grand adventure!" when in reality because of the branching paths the book took, each trip into the adventure might have only been half that size, at best. These games suffer from the same problems - the storytellers can't move too wildly from the overall arc that the writers have created, otherwise these games would become massive and way over budget.

Imagine if Tales from the Borderlands 2 was a $60 game, with an 85GB download and boasted "over 150 hours of game play", but then you finish it after just 10 hours. Sure a lot of people would love that and it would obviously have a huge replay value, but for the average consumer they would play it once and never pick it up again. It makes more sense, from a purely financial perspective, to just craft a 10 hour story that's roughly the same for everyone with a few small choices sprinkled in to add flavor to the story and provide 2, maybe 3 different ending outcomes.

I think companies like Telltale are doing a damn fine job building in just enough choice to make things interesting while still being able to release $25 seasons that provide a 10+ hour personalized experience that's "good enough" to let people suspend disbelief that their individual choices matter.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I want other genres to provide me the illusion of gameplay as well.

Imagine in the next Mario game you discover that you don't have to jump over pits. Like, the pit is still there and you can jump over it if you want or just go ahead and walk right across like you're some sort of videogame Indiana Jones-like character.

Parsnip

I'm about to give Lightning Returns a try but feel a bit intimidated by the games time mechanic (as always). I have briefly looked into this mechanic and it seems that time is easier to manage on the easy difficulty because you get more of the resource required to freeze time but naturally choosing easy also lowers the combat difficulty. Can anyone recommend me which difficulty I should pick for this game?

I wouldn't worry about the time mechanic. I played on hard and was running out of things to do at the end. You have plenty of time to do most things in the game.

Speaking of, is Lightning Returns difficult? Or rather, is it possible to wander of in to an area you are not supposed to be in early in the game?

I played it a bit a while back, and I think it was still the first day or whatever, and I ran around the city and in some areas the enemies just all of a sudden wiped me out. I'm wondering if I was missing something crucial about the combat, or if I shouldn't have been in that area at all.

Xanathus

Speaking of, is Lightning Returns difficult? Or rather, is it possible to wander of in to an area you are not supposed to be in early in the game?

I played it a bit a while back, and I think it was still the first day or whatever, and I ran around the city and in some areas the enemies just all of a sudden wiped me out. I'm wondering if I was missing something crucial about the combat, or if I shouldn't have been in that area at all.

Yeah there are definitely places you can get to where the enemies out level you. I don't think the 1st city actually has them though unless I've forgotten it. Note that you can visit the other cities and the enemies won't be stronger than you. You don't have to do each city's quests sequentially.

Parsnip

Yeah there are definitely places you can get to where the enemies out level you. I don't think the 1st city actually has them though unless I've forgotten it. Note that you can visit the other cities and the enemies won't be stronger than you. You don't have to do each city's quests sequentially.

I don't actually remember if it was the first city or even the first day, now that I think about it. Just really early in the game. When I play it again I should probably stick with the main quest line a bit more at the beginning I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom