• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Holiday Seal 2015 |OT| This isn't the account you're looking for

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to say I don't miss the dailies at all. This way I actually look at games that I otherwise wouldn't, ones that would not have been featured on the dailies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Nog fhtagn-yar-ph' k'yarnak hrii Call of Cthulhu chtenff athg!

tumblr_mbgpi0aPhU1rnnop6o1_500.gif

I'm going to make a push to try and get some others to play some of these horror games you may or may not have played during the course of 2016. I'm starting with Call of Cthulhu, a cult gem that is a bit buggy, but with some fantastic design and pacing that continues to be a thrill ride with all sorts of twists and turns until the end of the game.

I'll talk about it more once we're on the community side, but until then-

4536149+_1bfe7a2de7626664dac425fb7d22ef3e.gif

4536149+_8e50bc548883d0ef2600138466304d7f.gif

4536149+_29215a9c85b6e24270568f075a601384.gif

4536149+_7629c72bf792ed771f14b5f97328bcc7.gif

O.DOGG

So that was a nice sale. I stocked up on games I missed over the past year. Still have a couple left but I'll wait for lower prices (Soma, GTAV, Contradiction).

What I got:

Type Rider
Ori and the Blind Forest
Sunless Sea
Downwell
Her Story
Undertale
Invisible Inc. + Contingency Plan
Life is Strange Season Pass
Skullgirls: Extra Character Colors
Door Kickers

I think these will last me a good while, hopefully until Dark Souls 3 comes out in March.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So, who the fuck was the killer in the Steam Winter Comic?

The South Pole Penquins. They killed Zippy to get access to Mrs. Claus' list to attack her/hold her ransom against Santa so they could get the North Pole. It was established in the cards reveals.

Dsyndrome

I'm going to make a push to try and get some other to play some of these horror games you may or may not have played during 2016. I'm starting with Call of Cthulhu, a cult gem that is a bit buggy, but with some fantastic design and pacing that continues to be a thrill ride with all sorts of twists and turns until the end of the game.

I've tried unsuccessfully to finish the game over the many years I've owned it (still have my copy from the release month); all I remember are townspeople yelling "Spread Out" and "Search the Area". Need to go read a plot summary up to the point my save is (somewhere over halfway) and actually finish the damn game.
I haven't finished Black Flag nor have I played Rogue and Syndicate. Skipping a year will help me catch up.
Exactly where I'm at, debating on if I ever beat Liberation.

If I actually make something good with Clickteam Fusion I might consider the developer version.

I feel like Clickteam is a bad company to hitch your wagon with at this point. They were important and useful for several years, but they're missing key features nowadays, coding in it requires jumping through so many hoops, and... let's just say I've had less than a helpful time dealing with their staff on their forum. (Not a community manager, staff.)

If you have to go simpler or low overhead, GameMaker is there and seems to be keeping up better. Otherwise, Unity and UE4 really are getting very simple.

Final Fantasy VII
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes

Eh, kind of a light year. <20 dollars spent.

I'm not sure if it's because the sales were less than usual, or because my Steam library basically holds more than I could ever play in a life time.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Someone join me in RE Revelations raid mode. I'm only lvl 6 and from stage 7 and up the enemies take ages to kill

fantomena

My final damage:

Leo’s Fortune - HD Edition
Alice Madness Returns
REVOLVER360 RE:ACTOR
Why Am I Dead At Sea
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Super House of Dead Ninjas: True Ninja Pack
LA Cops
Total Annihilation
Galaxy Admirals
The Flame in the Flood
Cibele
Car Mechanic Simulator 2015
AKIBA'S TRIP: Undead & Undressed
Contradiction - the all-video murder mystery adventure
The Amber Throne
Final Fantasy V
Hand Of Fate
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3
Turok
Hard West
Hatoful Boyfriend: Holiday Star

Dusk Golem

I've tried unsuccessfully to finish the game over the many years I've owned it (still have my copy from the release month); all I remember are townspeople yelling "Spread Out" and "Search the Area". Need to go read a plot summary up to the point my save is (somewhere over halfway) and actually finish the damn game.

Oh my, for better or worse you're still fairly early in. I can summarize a bit, spoilers to those for the first 2-4 hours of the game.

So, you play as a man named Jack Walters. He's a detective, and something of a local hero in a small seaside town after through miraculous luck, he's solved some tough cases no one else could. He just views himself as lucky, but others applaud him as a hero. In the town, a strange cult had settled in a house with all sorts of rumors. One day, neighbors heard screaming, and call the police, but when they try to approach the estate, the cultist begin open firing on them. Jack Walters is on the scene and breaks into the house to help the police out... But the cultist welcome him with open arms, and seem to be in the middle of a mass suicide ritual as they poison themselves to death. As they all die, Walter makes his way to the basement where he hears someone in trouble, and finds twisted experiments, alien machinery, and activates something which causes a bright light and a strange shadowy figure to approach him.

He becomes conscious 6 years later, when he finds out he spent the last six years not as himself, but some secondary personality he can't remember. He started off with the sudden change in a mental institute, but was released when they concluded he wasn't a danger to himself or others. he apparently traveled the world, and received back a diary, but many pages of it were missing. By the hospital staff, someone else, himself...? He is of course, curious about this time, but tries to move on and start back up his detective agency.

He receives a call and an envelope containing details of a missing person known as Brian Burnham, who ran a store in a grocery chain that had recently expanded and made a store in a seafaring coastal town of Innsmouth. The town is very secluded and mostly sticks to its own, and is not friendly to outsiders, but Brian Burnham had gone missing in the town. Jack is first reluctant as these aren't the type of cases that interest him, but accepts since he needs the work.

In Innsmouth, the people have a certain look to them that is rumored to be caused by disease and in-breeding. The towns people don't take kindly to Jack, and the town seems to keep a strict curfew which the people of the town stick by, "If you know what's good for you." Jack asks around town, but no one seems to want to talk to him and either ignore him or are hostile to him, and act like they don't know any Brian Burnham. He does, however, find one drunk who knew Brian Burnham, and tells him that he'll tell him what he knows if he fetches him a bottle of rum. Jack sneaks into the abandoned store Brian Burnham kept to fetch some alcohol, and finds that store looks like it had been ripped into by an animal. He fetches the alcohol, but then has to hide in a cellar who's stairs collapse on the way out. Underneath the store, he finds some disturbing things, like human skeletons, a woman who's hung himself, a newspaper that stopped running in 1837 after a strange story was being printed of some sea captain returning to Innsmouth and forming a cult that was threatening the town.

Jack on his way to return the bottle also meets a finely dressed man in disguise in town as an out-of-town worker, who claims he's a 'Factory Inspector', but obviously knows more than he tells and isn't who he says he is.

Jack returns the bottle to the drunkard, who tells him all about the earlier sea captain, who came back to town with incredible riches and brought the town back to being fruitgul, and talks about an, "Order of Dagon," who captured Brian and dictates the town. He passes out drunk while rambling, and Jack meets a nice-looking woman who reveals that her father was the old mayor of the town before things, "Changed around here." She wants to help the town in honor of her father, and tells Jack the location where he'll find the person who worked with Jack in the store. Jack goes there, and finds a little girl coloring in a book. She talks about how she loves her daddy and how mommy is in the attic. Jack goes to the attic and finds in a startling way a terrifying monster, who breaks free. He heads back downstairs after being knocked out cold, and finds the dad of the daughter, the person who worked with Brian, sobbing, clutching his now mutilated and dead daughter. He says he always knew this would happen, and tells Jack he has to get Brian out of here, they took him and are holding him prisoner, he can find something that will help him that the people of the town want desperately he's been keeping hidden in his store, and gives Jack his store key. Shortly afterward, the police of the town burst into the home and arrest the man for killing his daughter. Jack also gets a diary telling that his wife had turned into a monster, and he would of left but his daughter was destined to become the same, and though he should kill his daughter, she was the world to him and he wanted her to at least have a happy childhood as herself that he could provide for her.

Jack goes to the store, and meets the girlfriend of Brian, who he tells that Brian is still alive and he plans to get him and her out of this nutjob town. She gives him a photo to make Brian trust him that holds importance to him and her, and then Jack goes to the inn to rest for the night. The innkeeper is called out and leaves the backdoor open... Jack sneaks into the back while he's away and finds a horrifying butchershop of sorts full of limbs, gore, plastered over the walls and scattered around. He quickly returns and acts like nothing is wrong as he is given a room.

When he tries to sleep, he has a weird nightmare involving an asylum and shadow figures, and then wakes up as the town people are coming up the stairs to break into his room and murder him in his sleep. What follows is an iconic chase sequence as you run through hotel rooms, lock doors, move bookshelves, run over rooftops, and such things as the town people try to stop you at every turn, hunt you down, as you rapidly make your way through buildings and windows to escape.

Which is where you are in the game currently. You just escaped the hotel and rooftops, and now are sneaking around as the town people are hunting you down. This point is about 1/6th of the way into the game, still a lot more to come and a LOT more surprises, twist, and gameplay variety to cometh. Unless you got past the part where I think you are, but that's the sequence where the toens people are hunting you fully head-on.

CTHULHU!

0576b_1265202692_one_nation_under_cthulhu.gif

I'm going to make a push to try and get some others to play some of these horror games you may or may not have played during the course of 2016. I'm starting with Call of Cthulhu, a cult gem that is a bit buggy, but with some fantastic design and pacing that continues to be a thrill ride with all sorts of twists and turns until the end of the game.

4536149+_1bfe7a2de7626664dac425fb7d22ef3e.gif

4536149+_8e50bc548883d0ef2600138466304d7f.gif

4536149+_29215a9c85b6e24270568f075a601384.gif

4536149+_7629c72bf792ed771f14b5f97328bcc7.gif

I bought this and Sunless Sea this sale. Been on a lovecraft kick lately. Currently reading At the Mountains of Madness. So I'm pretty excited. It looks pretty old so maybe a good opportunity to try simulating resolutions over 1080 for the first time.

Dusk Golem

Thanks, think I'll play it now!

Looks like I'm in the Marsh Refinery, and the last time I played was February of 2010. Time to get crackin'.

Okay, you're a bit less than half-way and a few more story stuff happened, but not too much.

This one I'll spoiler tag as its a bit later in the game. But it's easier to summarize as a lot more gameplay happened.

The woman died that was trying to get her father back, the finely dressed man is a government agent who captures you as you're escaping town with Brian and his girlfriend and sends you back in since of your good reputation and luck and having a leash on you to go to a refinery where a rich eccentric local in the town lives and seems to have an infinite supply of money, which they're investigating. Jack also went through a torture scene where he's held down and injected with needles and beat to tell them what he knows (the government). You're now working with them, but all the government agents are dying.

This part is maybe one of the harder parts of the game, so I can see why you quit, but all that happened really story-wise is what I described above. You saved Brian, then he and his girlfriend died. You also learned that the sea captain who came back and formed a cult and found a strange tribe on an island who praised weird gods, and got rewarded for their worship with gold and other things they needed, so he came back to his town to save them with the same worship.

With that information, you're a little under half-way through the game if at the start of the refinery, about half-way if near the end of it. The refinery is one of the trickier parts, but has a fantastic conclusion, and after that point the game kicks to its second half, which has a lot going on during it.

Dusk Golem

The mid-00s sure had some spooky hotels in games. Well, I guess only two, but they were pretty scary.

The hotel scene is definitely memorable, as its when shit begins to get real in the town and they sort of explode into craziness after a few hours of subtlety and slow-burn.

I bought this and Sunless Sea this sale. Been on a lovecraft kick lately. Currently reading At the Mountains of Madness. So I'm pretty excited. It looks pretty old so maybe a good opportunity to try simulating resolutions over 1080 for the first time.

This is among mine and many others favorite Lovecraftian game, hope you enjoy the ride, it is a surprisingly well paced title that switches itself up and builds on itself all the way to the end of the game... But it's a bit long, which can be a pro or con based on who you are.

Lomax

I already have 2! Is Tactics worth getting/playing?

Eh, in the era of Jagged Alliance and X-com it was a mediocre tactical game and even worse Fallout game. But since it's isometric there's always gonna be a certain crowd now that puts it above the newer stuff. There's almost certainly better games in the genre you haven't played. And if you're looking for more Fallout, it's not the answer any more now than it was when it released.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I mainly thought the Hammerhead (I think that's what it was called anyway) in ME2 was really boring to control and play. I had way more fun with the Mako personally.

The Hammerhead took hits like a wet paper bag. At least the Mako needed a Thresher Maw spawning directly underneath it to total it in a single hit.

My haul:
  • Sublevel Zero
  • Aaru's Awakening
  • Odallus: The Dark Call
  • The Magic Circle
  • Conquest of Elysium 4
  • Subterrain
  • Ziggurat
  • Helldivers
  • World In Conflict
  • The Talos Principle: Road To Gehenna

Aurablade

My haul:

Ys 1+2
Ys: The Oath in Felghana
Ground Zeros
Agarest: Generations of War

Don't know why I bought anything, the Xenoblade itch has been going strong for a few weeks. Have no idea about agarest either.

Jawmuncher

Wow I can't wait to see you all in community. As a new member, all of your positivity in this sales thread means I'll be hanging out over there. Too bad the new thread doesn't exist for new posters to SteamGAF like myself. Yep.

gabbo

http://new1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4536149+_1bfe7a2de7626664dac425fb7d22ef3e.gif/IMG]

[IMG]http://new1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4536149+_8e50bc548883d0ef2600138466304d7f.gif/IMG]

[IMG]http://new1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4536149+_29215a9c85b6e24270568f075a601384.gif/IMG]

[IMG]http://new1.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/4536149+_7629c72bf792ed771f14b5f97328bcc7.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

What OS did you get this running on? I never succeeded with Win7 (and all manner of tricks) and have yet to try 10.

Wow I can't wait to see you all in community. As a new member, all of your positivity in this sales thread means I'll be hanging out over there. Too bad the new thread doesn't exist for new posters to SteamGAF like myself. Yep.

Hello fellow new member, I am new member too, I look forward to hanging out there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom