• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Do you not have a 360? Those are still cheap and run better than the PS3 versions.
I wouldn't exactly call them cheap but they sure are a lot cheaper. Easier to get a new copy for, too
And no, I don't. I own a PS3, PS4 and Wii-U. Even if I wanted to get an Xbox, I wouldn't know where to put the darn thing. I don't have the space.

And wires, man. I'm drowing in wires!

Besides, didn't the xbox version feature a different protagonist or something?
I don't exactly know what that's about. All those different kind of kidney's confuse me.

Jawmuncher

I wouldn't exactly call them cheap but they sure are a lot cheaper. Easier to get a new copy for, too
And no, I don't. I own a PS3, PS3 and Wii-U. Even if I wanted to get an Xbox, I wouldn't know where to put the darn thing. I don't have the space.

And wires, man. I'm drowing in wires!

Besides, didn't the xbox version feature a different protagonist or something?
I don't exactly know what that's about. All those different kind of kidney's confuse me.

In the West the protagonist is a older father
In Japan the protagonist is a brother
Only changes I know of and that was across all copies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Do you not have a 360? Those are still cheap and run better than the PS3 versions.

They both run about the same I'm not sure what you're talking about. :p Just getting whatever version is fine.

Also different protags only applies to the Japanese version. The west only got Papa Nier edition.

Anteater

With it being the 20th anniversary of Resident Evil this year. I could see them giving the priority to that series. So I could see a CVX or other port come to steam.

but they give priority to that series every year

where's megaman

I want them to do megaman so i don't have to see people talking about megaman (although it seem to have toned down, I'm the only one talking about megaman now)

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
In the West the protagonist is a older father
In Japan the protagonist is a brother
Only changes I know of and that was across all copies.
Regional differences, not platform related. Right.
Thanks for clearing that up. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
i'm guessing capcom is dipping their toes with these rereleases, going from what is the least risky and makes the most sense first like re4 and remake and now dragons dogma which was probably not the most difficult port ever compared to some of these games that are ps1 era and who the fuck knows if they still have the code and assets to port this stuff and rebuild it

BTW, Nier IP belongs to SE, so you know that buying FF5 and 6, not to mention FF9, makes it more possible, just sayin
oh yeah, Lightning games and FF0 too, not sure Tomb Raider can rise up to this challenge.
i'll do my part with 9

6 looks fugly and 5 is just the lamest final fantasy

but sony is publishing nier 2 so i'm not expecting much

Jawmuncher

They both run about the same I'm not sure what you're talking about. :p Just getting whatever version is fine.

Also different protags only applies to the Japanese version. The west only got Papa Nier edition.
The 360 version is better, but just not hugely so. Like if a PS3 was all you had there would be no reason to shun the game or anything.

but they give priority to that series every year

where's megaman

I want them to do megaman so i don't have to see people talking about megaman (although it seem to have toned down, I'm the only one talking about megaman now)

They got the Megaman Collection, and while maybe not games. There are a lot of merchandising and other things keeping megaman around. I think it's only a matter of time for him. Thus why fans have been quiet.

gelf

I want a Capcom arcade classics collection on PC. Particularly the CPS1-3 stuff. I'd be happy even if it was mostly just packaged ROMs like the NeoGeo humble bundle was.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
With it being the 20th anniversary of Resident Evil this year. I could see them giving the priority to that series. So I could see a CVX or other port come to steam.

The original was on XBLA/PSN for awhile. But yeah I would love for a new MvC game. At this point though unless someone is paying. It might be awhile.

Capcom seem to be celebrating Resident Evil's 20th anniversary pretty seriously, which I guess makes sense, they've given the franchise a lot of attention the last few years in all honesty and it is their top-selling franchise by a surprising margin.

At the very least we know obviously Zero HD literally comes out tomorrow, and in a few months Umbrella Corps comes out (I believe it's March? They've been REALLY quiet about it though since announcement). Code Veronica could happen this year, again they already have a fully functioning MT Framework version of the game, and one of MT Frameworks big selling points is easily being able to port to multiple platforms, making a PC version from that shouldn't be too hard. But since they've been paying a lot of attention to update Zero how they could, and they're completing remaking RE2, I almost want to think the reason they haven't ported Code Veronica yet is because they want to update it... Which would be fine, the game has some great art direction but elements of the 3D modelling has definitely not aged well.

Capcom has teased they have more RE stuff to come this year, the one obviously everyone will think about is RE7 since we know that game has been in development for over three years. WBacon also teased on the Dragon Dogma's forums that "Up Next: Resident Evil 0 HD, Umbrella Corps." And then seemed excited to tease about wondering what will be next and that, "They have plans...". So seems they definitely have something(s) planned, maybe obviously, but curious as WBacon seems unusually excited to tease about it. And being RE's 20th, I suspect we'll probably see one or two more game-related things to RE release this year, a port of Code Veronica wouldn't be surprising.

---

MvC I last heard they hadn't renewed the license too recently, but it's out there as an option.

Anteater

They got the Megaman Collection, and while maybe not games. There are a lot of merchandising and other things keeping megaman around. I think it's only a matter of time for him. Thus why fans have been quiet.

I do think there's going to be a new megaman but I personally think megaman fans just stopped giving a shit about megaman than them having faith in capcom doing a new megaman

maybe I should make a new thread and ask

... nah..

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
The 360 version is better, but just not hugely so. Like if a PS3 was all you had there would be no reason to shun the game or anything.

In that case if you have a good sound system get the PS3 version because better audio for the soundtrack! Both versions are fine though can't really go wrong with either.

Hektor

get SE to release Nier first tho

i want to replay that game and cry my eyes out

I would love to see Nier coming to Steam. I'd think it's a great time, with it's sequel being announced and all.

You got the idea
umgXHJF.png

ibut sony is publishing nier 2 so i'm not expecting much

The publisher is square enix.

Jawmuncher

Capcom seem to be celebrating Resident Evil's 20th anniversary pretty seriously, which I guess makes sense, they've given the franchise a lot of attention the last few years in all honesty and it is their top-selling franchise by a surprising margin.

At the very least we know obviously Zero HD literally comes out tomorrow, and in a few months Umbrella Corps comes out (I believe it's March? They've been REALLY quiet about it though since announcement). Code Veronica could happen this year, again they already have a fully functioning MT Framework version of the game, and one of MT Frameworks big selling points is easily being able to port to multiple platforms, making a PC version from that shouldn't be too hard. But since they've been paying a lot of attention to update Zero how they could, and they're completing remaking RE2, I almost want to think the reason they haven't ported Code Veronica yet is because they want to update it... Which would be fine, the game has some great art direction but elements of the 3D modelling has definitely not aged well.

Capcom has teased they have more RE stuff to come this year, the one obviously everyone will think about is RE7 since we know that game has been in development for over three years. WBacon also teased on the Dragon Dogma's forums that "Up Next: Zero HD, Umbrella Corps." And then seemed excited to tease wonder what will be next. so seems they definitely have something(s) planned, maybe obviously, but curious. And being RE's 20th, I suspect we'll probably see one or two more game-related things to RE release this year, a port of Code Veronica wouldn't be surprising.

---

MvC I last heard they hadn't renewed the license too recently, but it's out there as an option.

It'll be interesting to see what they do for the rest of the year. There was that light rumor about RE:Outbreak HD. Which while no source, honestly doesn't sound like that much of a stretch especially for a anniversary. Since it has quite the following.

I do think there's going to be a new megaman but I personally think megaman fans just stopped giving a shit about megaman than them having faith in capcom doing a new megaman

maybe I should make a new thread and ask

... nah..

Definitely wouldn't want to open that can of worms. I see Capcom going the budget route with MM to start with though. Sort of like what they did with MM 9 & 10. So more collections of the rest of the games including X. Then maybe some sequels to those games in a new engine. Sort of like what we saw with the PSP games.

zkylon

zkylewd
No, Where did you get that idea? Sony didn't even have anything to do with it's initial advertisement and reveal. It was all Square.

well when's last time squeeeeenix made a ps exclusive game (that was released on the west)?

i guess drakengard 3? and i could swear sony had a hand in publishing that too?

im confoosed -__-

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
well when's last time squeeeeenix made a ps exclusive game (that was released on the west)?

im confoosed -__-
It's just not announced for anything else yet.
They've just no rhetoric as "platform exclusive", "console exclusive" or "console debut".

Tizoc

yeah in japan, I was talking about the west where digital releases are a huge thing on steam more so than on consoles

Well Okami HD was released by late 2012, weren't many Capcom games GFWL by then?
It wouldn't be until 2013 and 2014 that Capcom became more open towards Steam.

Hektor

im confoosed -__-

What kind of hand should've sony had in that? That game was so not published it got a digital only release here in EU lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

im confoosed -__-

Sony has nothing to do with publishing it and the only reason Drakengard 3 was PS exclusive is because the budget was crap combined with Nier doing awful on the 360. I own the Drakengard 3 collectors edition and it was in no way co-published by Sony it was all Square.
I really have zero idea where you got the idea they were helping with this or any Drakengard related game.

Anteater

Well Okami HD was released by late 2012, weren't many Capcom games GFWL by then?
It wouldn't be until 2013 and 2014 that Capcom became more open towards Steam.

hmm they've supported steam as early as dmc4, not sure if gfwl really affects anything

It was a time when I didn't have a pc though, so i'm not quite sure, I only remember on gaf that people were complaining about how it's digital only, etc, it's really a niche game so I wasn't sure why it's playstation only (sold bad on ps2) and also only digital

Imo capcom make pretty interesting platform decisions: RE4 HD on PC only, Okami HD on PS3, and now Dragon's Dogma on PC, of course it can make sense, like maybe they want to reach new audience on PC, but then it wouldn't make sense for Okami.

Tizoc

hmm they've supported steam as early as dmc4, not sure if gfwl really affects anything

It was a time when I didn't have a pc though, so i'm not quite sure, I only remember on gaf that people were complaining about how it's digital only, etc, it's really a niche game so I wasn't sure why it's playstation only (sold bad on ps2) and also only digital

Imo capcom make pretty interesting platform decisions: RE4 HD on PC only, Okami HD on PS3, and now Dragon's Dogma on PC, of course it can make sense, like maybe they want to reach new audience on PC, but then it wouldn't make sense for Okami.

Eh either way, that was then, this is now. Okami HD on Steam is a big possibility, and merely a matter of time.
I think we'll hear more about their fure PC plans after SF5 now that I think about it.

Speaking of Capcom, Dungeons and Dragons is on sale at Humblebundle.com, go buy it, kids.

Anteater

Eh either way, that was then, this is now. Okami HD on Steam is a big possibility, and merely a matter of time.
I think we'll hear more about their fure PC plans after SF5 now that I think about it.

Speaking of Capcom, Dungeons and Dragons is on sale at Humblebundle.com, go buy it, kids.

well yeah, what I was saying tho was that capcom made a few questionable decisions back then, because jaw brought up "okami sold like poop even on multiplatforms" and I personally think the wii and then a HD release on ps3 (digital) weren't enough to make enough money

we know that their western branch was pushing for a few games to come to steam, so I wouldn't be surprised okami HD which already has all its assets made will come, but it did have a really bad history on sales across multiple platforms

tbh i didn't even think about that

I don't care. Believe anyway

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I wonder how we'll look back at steam and the releases in a few years.
Wonder what the new trends are going to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom