• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | January 2016 - Out of cash, out of cache

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Heh, PC gamers should thank Sony for PS4 being a success since it's seems like Square and other devs are making games like Nier: Automata due to the success of the PS4.
I'm not sure why I'd be happy as a PC gamer about Automata considering it's not even announced for the platform. Generally, I am happy since I loved the original Nier and love Platinum's combat.

I'm not sure why I'd be happy as a PC gamer about Automata considering it's not even announced for the platform. Generally, I am happy since I loved the original Nier.

But I am seriously wondering who is really hyped for it that havent played the original. I know GAF is full of Sony-fans and I can see some people hyping it up because its "just" announced for PS4 now (exclusive).

Remember No Mans Sky. Since the PC version has been announced officially, somehow the hype on GAF fell flat.

I loved Nier, but actually I am not quite sure whether Platinum can capture what Nier actually is/was about.

Anteater

btw dragon's dogma weakest part is the mid game

it's weird, but if you're having fun at the beginning and find yourself saying "is this it?" after like 20hrs

just keep going

Kuroyume

Banned
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Battle vs Chess -- MB-35D11478F8ED5525 - Taken by Lomax. 1 entrants total.
Town of Salem -- MB-29B95AAF81223512 - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
Shadows on the Vatican Act I: Greed -- MB-D3200EAC26132167 - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Universe Sandbox -- MB-7EF75AEBDBBFBB42 - Taken by Eila. 1 entrants total.
Akane the Kunoichi -- MB-12E9823D4AA3355D - Taken by Belgarion. 1 entrants total.
Rise of the Triad (2013) -- MB-8A67692F71B51F23 - Taken by GaussTek. 2 entrants total.
100% Orange Juice -- MB-C41159EDA2295A8B - Taken by AtomskEater. 4 entrants total.

t1453149240z1.png

yoshihikoibushiktqdr.gif

Hektor

But I am seriously wondering who is really hyped for it that havent played the original. I know GAF is full of Sony-fans and I can see some people hyping it up because its "just" announced for PS4 now (exclusive).

P* fans that don't understand that it is not going to be a typical P* game.

Heh, PC gamers should thank Sony for PS4 being a success since it's seems like Square and other devs are making games like Nier: Automata due to the success of the PS4.

Yeah.... no. Unless they made their decision based on Day1 sales, that's highly worth a doubt as Nier: Automata had a finished prototype and concept by June 2014, 6 months after the PS4's release.

fantomena

Yeah.... no. Unless they made their decision based on Day1 sales, that's highly worth a doubt as Nier: Automata had a finished prototype and concept by June 2014, 6 months after the PS4's release.

The devs have said if I recall correctly that the game was recently started in development. They started only by showing artwork and said it's very early in development.

Edit:

From Squares E3 2015 presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQwlJzROy38

31:55

"The project is still very early in development"

34:18

"Production just began on this"

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Our lord and saviour sony shall be offered only the finest of gifts for their valiant effort in making the bestselling console which filled this industry with life once again

Messiah

... pretty sure the pawn system is still broken

I haven't received a single rating

right?

zbJpj1K.png

that was just a tutorial hydra too!

Have received a bunch of ratings already, did you rest at the inn?

All ratings have been 3/3/3 though. Dunno if it is bugged, people are lazy or my pawn is just mediocre :v

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
One has to wonder what exactly GOG has against Blow.
They didn't want to pick up Braid, and supposedly gave him a bad contract for The Witness.

GoG has always been an oddly exclusive club for controlling such a small marketshare overall. Their curation holds to extremely high standards, turning away many smaller indies for insignificant reasons. The double edged sword there is that it does prevent GoG from becoming flooded with games, a complaint many have with the 'App Store Syndrome' Steam currently deals with - but it comes at the cost of GoG having less games to offer overall. I can only imagine those that do get in have similar contracts to the one Blow was offered for The Witness, but much like the old XBLA days, he was the only one to speak up when he saw bullshit at play. His quote about GoG, for those who haven't followed:

They aren't bad compared to XBLA's contracts in the 2010-ish era, but they are just written presuming that the developer is desperate and really wants to be on GoG -- which for successful developers is not the case. The general tactic of any game publisher is that they offer you a contract full of stuff you have to argue with them for a long time to take out -- IF you even have the bargaining power to push them, which most indies don't. At this point my tactic is to go meta and say look, fuck you, this process is insulting and wastes my time, you know which terms I am going to argue about, so just change those before you send me anything. I only bother arguing with the few big channels that I really need to be on. The thing about this tactic is it usually ends the conversation -- I think it tends to be too weird for publisher peoples' egos to actually deal with a statement like that ... so then they just don't get the game. It is fine though, we will ensure there is a DRM-free download somewhere.

He's a big enough name in the indie realm to be able to tell them to stuff it, and I'm glad he is pursuing a DRM-free alternative for those who would rather not be tied to Steam.

Remember all those cool costumes for Resident Evil Zero? Looks like they're DLC going off the PSN page.

This is Australia pricing, so it should be cheaper for other regions.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pack/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0005
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ck-1/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0001
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ck-3/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0003
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ck-4/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0004

Though LOL at Billy having two costumes and that's it.
Bummer, thought they were unlockables going off the marketing.

did capcom fix the pawn shit yet

i'm sure i had like 30 ppl hiring my pawn

come on capcom

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=192408102&postcount=2454

Starting to come down to Earth I see.

EDIT -
Have received a bunch of ratings already, did you rest at the inn?

All ratings have been 3/3/3 though. Dunno if it is bugged, people are lazy or my pawn is just mediocre :v

I give straight 4s every time. Unless you piss me off with a fighter who won't fight or something. Then you get 3s.

Jawmuncher

Bummer, thought they were unlockables going off the marketing.

Yeah I think they purposefully kept it quiet. Since this is the first i'm hearing of it being DLC.
At least the original costumes are unlocked from the get go. Seems you only need to unlock Rebecca's wesker outfit.

GoG curation is horrible dumb. They didn't accept to put Cook, Serve, Delicious! On it because it was "too casual"

Like Steam before Greenlight.

I remember they didnt put Visual Novels on it, because according to them these are not "games".
And now we have shovelware, Unity asset shit on the store...

I don't think there's need to worry about Capcom.
For one thing they're releasing, for the most part some good games, and even if this year has them mainly re-releasing their older catalog, that'd be fine in the sense that it allows it to be preserved via Steam at least.

Capcom seems to be very conservative at this point, so I doubt it will be them.

Capcom needed Sony to help them finance Street Fighter 5, arguably their current, biggest franchise. They invested heavily in a failed bid at the f2p market in Japan. They sunk massive amounts of money into RE6 and Dragon's Dogma and did not recoup that investment. They farmed out many games to western studios with, being kind, middling success at best. Both Square-Enix and Capcom went hat in hand, the only differences is who they went to and how that affected their products.

Granted Capcom haven't been flailing as long and as hard as Square-Enix, they had a lot of success at the start of the previous generation of consoles and have Monster Hunter to rely on in Japan still but they've also made a couple of giant financial blunders since and aren't in the strongest of positions.

I do think Square-Enix will be the first to go.

Hektor

Remember No Mans Sky. Since the PC version has been announced officially, somehow the hype on GAF fell flat.

I loved Nier, but actually I am not quite sure whether Platinum can capture what Nier actually is/was about.

The devs have said if I recall correctly that the game was recently started in development. They started only by showing artwork and said it's very early in development.

From Squares E3 2015 presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQwlJzROy38

31:55

"The project is still very early in development"

34:18

"Production just began on this"

Don't see how any of that is disproving my point.
http://www.siliconera.com/2014/12/09/drakengard-creator-taro-yoko-working-new-game-shh-dont-tell/
http://www.*****************/2015/1...ameplay-music-yorha-2b-origins-and-much-more/

€: Second source is banned, oops.

Also, Nier Concert in the west, when? :[

MUnited83

For you.
Remember all those cool costumes for Resident Evil Zero? Looks like they're DLC going off the PSN page.

This is Australia pricing, so it should be cheaper for other regions.
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...pack/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0005
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ck-1/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0001
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ck-3/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0003
https://store.playstation.com/#!/en...ck-4/cid=EP0102-CUSA01815_00-BH0HDCOSPACK0004

Though LOL at Billy having two costumes and that's it.
Nice, seems I won't need to preorder the game then.
By that logic they would have to get rid of many of the adventure games they have had on there for years.
I know, right? Fuck GoG, Humble Store is much better.

Uzzy

Capcom needed Sony to help them finance Street Fighter 5, arguably their current, biggest franchise. They invested heavily in a failed bid at the f2p market in Japan. They sunk massive amounts of money into RE6 and Dragon's Dogma and did not recoup that investment. They farmed out many games to western studios with, being kind, middling success at best. Both Square-Enix and Capcom went hat in hand, the only differences is who they went to and how that affected their products.

Granted Capcom haven't been flailing as long and as hard as Square-Enix, they had a lot of success at the start of the previous generation of consoles and have Monster Hunter to rely on in Japan still but they've also made a couple of giant financial blunders since and aren't in the strongest of positions.

On the bright side, this means that Capcom will likely be putting out a lot of remasters to keep the money flowing, and they've got a lot of great older titles which aren't on PC. Give it a few years and I think we'll have a ton of them available, from Third Strike to Code Veronica.

However, we'll lucky to see new games coming from Capcom that aren't tied to either Sony or Microsoft. I wouldn't be surprised to see RE7 be a console exclusive, and at that point we're relying on Capcom negotiating a deal that lets it exist on PC too.

MUnited83

For you.
OtakuMaker Bundle #2

- Silver Knight
- Dungeons Are Random
- Jet Racing Extreme
- The Great Escape
- Alum
- ANKI

"6 Games Only : $1.49
2 BUNDLES instead of 1 ( 12 keys Games ): $1.99
5 BUNDLES instead of 1 For ( 30 keys Games ) : $2.99"

(if you only see 4 games, not 6, im given to understand thats some CSS issue in combination with lower resolutions. basically the right side can be cut off. problem has been reported, hopefully they will fix that)

1. Make a site called OtakuMaker to make indie bundles
2. Proceed to not make bundles that actually relate to that name, and just rebundle games that have already been rebundled 15 times or given away 30 times.
3.?????????????
4. No profit

Jawmuncher

The costumes MIGHT be unlockable in game since the DLC info says "In-game purchases optional". Though the only game mode with purchases is leech hunter.

Man, Dragon's Dogma really has me hooked. The more I play it, the more I want to play it.

Also, regarding GOTY re-voting. I'll allow a single re-vote per person, but please do try to be sure about things when casting your vote. And if you haven't voted yet, there is just over 3 days left in which to do so.

t1453420800z4.png

Rejoice citizens. The tyrant has capitulated!

Seriously though, thanks for doing this man. I can only imagine how much of a nuisance it must be for you to just tally the votes one time, let alone when indecisive twits like me change our minds.

Also your pawn is the best in DD. Keep powerleveling so I can have super strong party members in my game :p

On the bright side, this means that Capcom will likely be putting out a lot of remasters to keep the money flowing, and they've got a lot of great older titles which aren't on PC. Give it a few years and I think we'll have a ton of them available, from Third Strike to Code Veronica.

However, we'll lucky to see new games coming from Capcom that aren't tied to either Sony or Microsoft. I wouldn't be surprised to see RE7 be a console exclusive, and at that point we're relying on Capcom negotiating a deal that lets it exist on PC too.

I'd love to have the Third Strike remaster that came out on PS3 on PC. It's one of the few reasons I still have my PS3 hooked up to a tv.

But clearly the answer is Capcom is not putting out enough Dino Crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom