• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I'm just now understanding the trading card market. So far I've made $7.50 just selling off cards and gun cases from CS:GO. Not too shabby and I'm well on my way to buying The Forest soon enough!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pretty sure the ACs that use Uplay aren't shareable anyway.

Family Sharing is set to toss up a third-party account notice, but Ubi is rather inconsistent about supporting it -- some games disallow it (e.g. Child of Light) while others are fine, assuming of course you've the account details (e.g. Black Flag, IIRC).

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
You should post your specs and let people tell you how it adds up to the steam requirements.

Minimum:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 4800+
Memory: 2 GB RAM
Graphics: ATI 3850HD 512 MB or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT 512MB
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

Recommended:
Processor: Intel Core i5
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280
DirectX: Version 9.0c
Hard Drive: 4 GB available space

My specs:

Processor: Intel Pentium G630
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 2000
DirectX: Version 11 (This can't be right though, I thought Intel HD only supported up to 10.1, but that's what my dxdiag says)
Hard Drive: Doesn't matter, got tons of space

I'm just now understanding the trading card market. So far I've made $7.50 just selling off cards and gun cases from CS:GO. Not too shabby and I'm well on my way to buying The Forest soon enough!

It's a shame you missed out on the "sacred" Steam card beta, prices were so good.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
thanks guys :) i'll wait. the amount i spent matches the total of money I have left. so I don't wanna overspend :p i'll call them up on monday if nothing changes.

Calling the bank should be easy. I had them check my transactions which were not showing up on my online statement and it was rather quick of them to tell me my transactions until it connects with what I have.

pahamrick

counts as a giveaway.

There's that, but I just don't want to dump keys in the thread for lurkers / non-members to grab.

I could have used the email tag quote thing but eh.

I've given away probably 3 times as many actual games vs that DLC and trial keys. :p

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
It's a shame you missed out on the sacred card beta, prices were so good.

I remember my little brother mentioning something about that (he's been doing this a lot longer than I have and managed to stash away at least $50 bucks each time a steam sale comes around). Yea, oh well, I'll wait till something else comes down the road and jump on that next.

Jørdan

you dont seem to understand, you cant play any game if the owner is playing a game, its not just the same game

Ooh, you're right I didn't. Well that's just silly, the same game I can understand - but any game? Well in most cases that isn't as neat as it sounds.

Levyne

Banned
Huh, okay, I shifted a few things around and now I get this

JtsJ0xR.png

Where and why does that "and" show up ;_;

Kyougar

*the moment when you play "divinity original sin" and fondly remember Divinity 2, that you didnt finish. Trying to locate the DVD Version of the game and after 10 minutes think, fuck-it-I-wishlist-it-and-buy-it-when-its-in-a-sale-on-steam only to see, that you allready own divinity 2 on Steam*

Firstworldproblems.....

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Imo, the 3 month restriction for the megagivers rule kinda sucks for people like me who rarely buy bundles and don't have that many games on their account to give away the spares on a regular basis. I have given away around 65 games with only 15 of them being bundle spares. I don't plan to change that because of this rule and start buying spare bundles to give away here, If I want to spend my money to offer something to the community, I'd rather it be some expensive or high-tier game that many people are interested in and would appreciate rather than some bundle turds that everybody has. Like Stumpokapow said it emphasizes quantiy over quality and that's unfortunate

Not saying any of this because I'm butthurt or something. I care much more for giving away stuff rather than winning them and I own almost all of the big stuff that's being given away anyway (except JaseC's account :p) so it's no big deal for me.

Ugh, I just bought a copy of Hammerwatch from the Humble Store and chose to purchase for myself even though I already have it. Oops.

There is not a gift button like with bundles. No way I can give it away, huh?

Dr Dogg

oh lol so its completely fucking useless then. as a feature that is, not regarding Jases giveaway

Yeah it's not perfect for how some people would use it but it does seem heavily geared to single machine, multi account family use. I share libraries with my brother in-law (well my sister really but she mainly plays Facebook trash these days) which works out alright because he works mainly during the evening. Though when I switch accounts on any of my machines it always retains my installed library and asks if I want to ask my main account permission to share titles.

It's a nice feature but streaming is the game changer for me as that really has a lot of flexibility.

Myshkin

Hmm, it looks like my megagiver status just expired; and I don't have a bunch of copies of Bad Rats in my inventory. What to do, what to do.

Ventara

I just saw JaseC's giveaway and that's insane! Sharing his entire library of games! Will he also accept me into his home and feed me if I win?

Can't enter since I'm not a Megagiver, and it sounds somewhat risky.

Hmm, it looks like my megagiver status just expired; and I don't have a bunch of copies of Bad Rats in my inventory. What to do, what to do.

You can always gift a bunch of copies of Divinity. Just saying. :D

Shadownet

Banned
Imo, the 3 month restriction for the megagivers rule kinda sucks for people like me who rarely buy bundles and don't have that many games on their account to give away the spares on a regular basis. I have given away around 65 games with only 15 of them being bundle spares. I don't plan to change that because of this rule and start buying spare bundles to give away here, If I want to spend my money to offer something to the community, I'd rather it be some expensive or high-tier game that many people are interested in and would appreciate rather than some bundle turds that everybody has. Like Stumpokapow said it emphasizes quantity over quality and that's unfortunate

Not saying any of this because I'm butthurt or something. I care much more for giving away stuff rather than winning them and I own almost all of the big stuff that's being given away anyway (except JaseC's account :p) so it's no big deal for me.

I agree with this sentiment. the megagivers rule is ehhhh. But I enjoy giving away games, winning it sometimes is just a small perk. though i rarely enter that much. just for something I really want. I only buy bundles where the games are at least decent.

Grief.exe

I'd imagine I've cycled off the mega givers list as I don't generally buy bundles at all, but buy about 5 of my favorite games to give out each Steam sale.

Sub Zero

I had a megagiver restriction in my Divinity giveaway that you won yesterday (I hid it because I was curious to see how many entrats I'd get) so no need to stock up on Bad Rats yet :p

JaseC

I just saw JaseC's giveaway and that's insane! Sharing his entire library of games! Will he also accept me into his home and feed me if I win?

Can't enter since I'm not a Megagiver, and it sounds somewhat risky.

Really, the only potential issue is that winner triggers VAC bans for the sake of triggering VAC bans, which would suck, but not something that would be a terrible bother.

Ventara

He's got over 3000 games! Shit, that's a lot! Really tempted to enter by gifting a whole bunch of bundles, but I think I'll restrain myself.

dani_dc

oh people get the same message that you sent to yourself when you use links in giveaways? I guess that makes sense

guess a lot of people saw my super thoughtful message I always use:

name: X

I realized that only a few days ago, started paying more attention to what I write on those since then.

Turfster

Re the megagivers rule, I think this could be fixed with a whitelist of people that always qualify, sort of like the blacklist only for the good guys.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
JaseC, you're crazy man.

Awesome giveaway though, I hope whoever wins won't be a dick about it and cause you any troubles. I'd enter, but having over 2,000 games myself I already have more to play than I could ever want to.

JaseC

Jase doesn't appear to have Second Sight in his library. How disappointing.

:p

Haha, in Deep Silver I trust... because Crytek itself sure as shit isn't going to do anything about the game. Come September it'll have been two years since Crytek assumed ownership and thus publishing rights. I hate the whole "lazy devs" thing, but it seems largely accurate in this case.

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
JaseC, you're crazy man.

Awesome giveaway though, I hope whoever wins won't be a dick about it and cause you any troubles. I'd enter, but having over 2,000 games myself I already have more to play than I could ever want to.

... and that you ever will (probably :p)

Nzyme32

Really, the only potential issue is that winner triggers VAC bans for the sake of triggering VAC bans, which would suck, but not something that would be a terrible bother.

What is the deal with Sharing and a secondary account getting banned via VAC or otherwise? Is only the secondary account responsible or does the primary account holder get in trouble too? I imagine the latter as the former could be gamed easily. Now that I think of it, the idea of it being called "family" sharing probably indicates that these people should be the most trustworthy anyway

Sendou

What is the deal with Sharing and a secondary account getting banned via VAC or otherwise? Is only the secondary account responsible or does the primary account holder get in trouble too? I imagine the former as the latter could be gamed easily. Now that I think of it, the idea of it being called "family" sharing probably indicates that these people should be the most trustworthy anyway

Primary account takes the fall.

JaseC

What is the deal with Sharing and a secondary account getting banned via VAC or otherwise? Is only the secondary account responsible or does the primary account holder get in trouble too? I imagine the former as the latter could be gamed easily. Now that I think of it, the idea of it being called "family" sharing probably indicates that these people should be the most trustworthy anyway

VAC bans are final regardless of the user.

The_Monk

Imo, the 3 month restriction for the megagivers rule kinda sucks for people like me who rarely buy bundles and don't have that many games on their account to give away the spares on a regular basis. I have given away around 65 games with only 15 of them being bundle spares. I don't plan to change that because of this rule and start buying spare bundles to give away here, If I want to spend my money to offer something to the community, I'd rather it be some expensive or high-tier game that many people are interested in and would appreciate rather than some bundle turds that everybody has. Like Stumpokapow said it emphasizes quantiy over quality and that's unfortunate

I just noticed this rule myself and while I already gave around probably two or three times the amount of games required (I think it's at 60-70 games, perhaps a bit less) it was a bit more than 3 months ago. I gave those games despite not having most of them and I've cut a lot on buying recent bundles because I do not focus on increasing my Library but instead, having interesting titles to play and keep a healthy Backlog.

I think it's a good rule, but a lot have changed for me and being without work, or worse, working for free, can change things when it comes to spend money. I know this can be really, really silly but I'm really embarrassed for not being able to give more via Modbot or personal gifts. It makes me a bit sad too because it simply feels so good to be able to do so. It really warms my hearth all this amazing kindness we became used to and I only hope that all these games from past and future giveaways can go to a good home. That's the most important thing.

---

JaseC do you own the first Dirt game on Steam? Just for curiosity sake.

Turfster

What is the deal with Sharing and a secondary account getting banned via VAC or otherwise? Is only the secondary account responsible or does the primary account holder get in trouble too? I imagine the latter as the former could be gamed easily. Now that I think of it, the idea of it being called "family" sharing probably indicates that these people should be the most trustworthy anyway

Primary gets in trouble.
It's another way to dissuade people from sharing with random strangers.

JaseC

JaseC do you own the first Dirt game on Steam? Just for curiosity sake.

Yeah, and it's also the only Dirt game I actually bought -- 2, 3 and Showdown were all won through Dell/Alienware/etc. key giveaways, haha.

Edit: D'oh, forgot to switch tabs.

Dr Dogg

I'd imagine I've cycled off the mega givers list as I don't generally buy bundles at all, but buy about 5 of my favorite games to give out each Steam sale.

I think I've probably long gone off too but then again I've got a massive stack of spare keys floating about I usually drop into ModBot when their prices aren't at discounts and have long since past the bundle dumping cycles. Not like I'm bothered as I don't enter giveaways :p

Well alright I did once but there are far better homes to go to than my backlog.

Sub Zero

Re the megagivers rule, I think this could be fixed with a whitelist of people that always qualify, sort of like the blacklist only for the good guys.

This has been brought up before and many members correctly pointed out that it would result in it being a popularity contest. It would only work if Stumpokapow would manually operate it, but even then I can see some issues arising

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

The reason why I've resisted doing this (it's not technically hard at all) is to avoid cliqueishness. Given the amount of this thread that's been sidetracked over the ethics of giving gifts and/or posting about gifts received, I think that was a good judgment on my part. I'm much happier with people setting eligibility guidelines based on a category defined by some objective principle than a subjective category, which is likely to invite disputes over the people who qualify.

Of course anyone is free to give away games in a manner other than using Modbot, such as by posting "First person out of this list of usernames: <list goes here> to PM me gets a copy of Blur for Steam." or whatever. Or even to use the secondapps countdown timer, inviting PMs, and using a random number generator to do the draw. Or hell, there's actually nothing preventing someone from making their own giveaway robot, except that it would be limited to one giver because it wouldn't have mod/admin access to be able to edit posts made by other users.

This has been brought up before and many members correctly pointed out that it would result in it being a popularity contest. It would only work if Stumpokapow would manually operate it, but even then I can see some issues arising

One of the reasons why I don't manually operate the community blacklist is precisely so there's no conflict of interest between me as moderator, me as modbot operator, and me as modbot giver and taker. Actually, I go above and beyond in that respect--GAF doesn't let posters put me on ignore because my name is red, but ModBot lets people block or permablock me, and if enough did, I'd be on the community blacklist just like anyone else.

The_Monk

Yeah, and it's also the only Dirt game I actually bought -- 2, 3 and Showdown were all won through Dell/Alienware/etc. key giveaways, haha.

Edit: D'oh, forgot to switch tabs.

Interesting! I think Priit also have the first Dirt, he offered to do this family sharing thing but I declined in the end.

I really hope that winner can be a honest person and nothing negative can come out of it (I do not know all the implications to this).

Autofokus

Just played "The Cat Lady" in an effort to play some games i haven't tried yet, and it has quite possibly the worst voice "actors" in the world. The main character is mean to be an old-ish lady but is voiced by someone who sounds like they're 18.

It's a nice point and click-type of adventure game but the voice acting is insanely off-putting.
She is in her late 30s afair, so I don't really get the criticism. The 'technical' voice quality on the other hand..yeah, it's a 1-man project and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom