• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | July 2014 – 25TH THREAD EDITION (2008-2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Given the amount of this thread that's been sidetracked over the ethics of giving gifts and/or posting about gifts received, I think that was a good judgment on my part. I'm much happier with people setting eligibility guidelines based on a category defined by some objective principle than a subjective category, which is likely to invite disputes over the people who qualify.
True. I missed most of the latest... heated discussion about that, and didn't have the heart to read the backscroll.

City 17

What is the deal with Sharing and a secondary account getting banned via VAC or otherwise? Is only the secondary account responsible or does the primary account holder get in trouble too? I imagine the latter as the former could be gamed easily. Now that I think of it, the idea of it being called "family" sharing probably indicates that these people should be the most trustworthy anyway

VAC bans are final regardless of the user.

Any game with a VAC ban will not be able to be shared.

The_Monk

Re the megagivers rule, I think this could be fixed with a whitelist of people that always qualify, sort of like the blacklist only for the good guys.

I gave the same exact suggestion in the past, regarding the Whitelist. I was told it would be pointless to do so and it would just be easier to select GAFfers and offer the games directly. But I agree with you Turfster.

Oh well, either way I'm just very impressed with the creation of Modbot in general. Doing this for no other reason than kindness while also improving the Community is by far the best outcome. I have nothing but respect for Stump (however he does play some odd games...)

Dr Dogg

I'm just glad that we don't have to deal with lurkers snatching keys, peeps yoinking stuff out of email tags without saying that they did let alone thanks, having to mess around with loads of PMs and the hideous MS Paint contests have died down (they'll never die for good).

So despite saying this about 50 times already thanks sooo much for ModBot Stump. It may have changed the dynamic here sometimes but it's a whole lot better than before.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Interesting! I think Priit also have the first Dirt, he offered to do this family sharing thing but I declined in the end.

I really hope that winner can be a honest person and nothing negative can come out of it (I do not know all the implications to this).

AssCreed Unity, Mordor and Borderlands Not-So-Sequel are the only time wasters that are coming up on my side of the fence. A big part of the reason why I decided to do this giveaway is that I intend to hit Uni pretty hard this semester (I'd like to do my MFA in the US), so come a few weeks from now I'll likely begin to post only sporadically. End of an era, in a way. ;)

Jørdan

ModBot 2 said:
You have given away 16 games. (1 eligible for 'givers only' rules.)

8RvOxeY.gif

ModBot 2 said:
You have given away 36 games. (27 eligible for 'givers only' rules.)

AssCreed Unity, Mordor and Borderlands Not-So-Sequel are the only time wasters that are coming up on my side of the fence. A big part of the reason why I decided to do this giveaway is that I intend to hit Uni pretty hard this semester (I'd like to do my MFA in the US), so come a few weeks from now I'll likely begin to post only sporadically. End of an era, in a way. ;)

But then people will have to learn to look at SteamDB themselves. It will be a scary new world!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

It is written that all non-Americans will end up moving to the US for grad school.

MFA in film, I assume? I... for some reason thought you were an engineer.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ballpoint Universe: Infinite -- MB-C624C3837F11A16F - Taken by famfrit. 2 entrants total.
KAMI -- MB-0D0978A92C167A4F
140 -- MB-D6C1985661A55C82 - Taken by Stumpokapow. 3 entrants total.

t1404603680z1.png

For those of you who missed the Strategy Bundle last week, I bought one to give you a chance at these titles. This includes titles from all the tiers. Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 7 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Stronghold Crusader HD -- MB-9D7AA375827C1014 - Taken by Ruruja. 3 entrants total.
Cubetractor -- MB-A215DA47897B6F51 - Taken by Vlad. 3 entrants total.
Space Hulk -- MB-11CF36661C391993 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 2 entrants total.
Eador: Masters of the Broken World -- MB-57700FC908476F2C - Taken by Vastag. 2 entrants total.
Unity of Command -- MB-22AF56195914C05A - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 3 entrants total.
Sang-Froid: Tales of Werewolves -- MB-B2B4BCCA1449B407 - Taken by user237. 2 entrants total.
Ironclad Tactics -- MB-7537B70C36808B45 - Taken by topyy. 3 entrants total.

t1404593689z1.png

Deitus

The reason why I've resisted doing this (it's not technically hard at all) is to avoid cliqueishness. Given the amount of this thread that's been sidetracked over the ethics of giving gifts and/or posting about gifts received, I think that was a good judgment on my part. I'm much happier with people setting eligibility guidelines based on a category defined by some objective principle than a subjective category, which is likely to invite disputes over the people who qualify.

I agree with you on the cliqueishness point. It would be silly if there was a rule that said "only the following people are qualified".

But I wonder if there might be some merit to an "all time megagiver" status, or at least something more relaxed than a 3 month window. I probably would never qualify either way, and I'm fine with that. The point is to reward the people who are extremely generous. But it does seem a bit silly when people who have given away tons of games, and they don't qualify because a few months have passed since their last big giveaway.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
why are all the adult swim games so amazing? it doesnt compute

just played a bunch of Super Puzzle Platform Deluxe, goddamn its good

Unicorn

There's that, but I just don't want to dump keys in the thread for lurkers / non-members to grab.

I could have used the email tag quote thing but eh.

I've given away probably 3 times as many actual games vs that DLC and trial keys. :p

giveaways lets only members and people that post in the threads eligible though.

Jørdan

A big part of the reason why I decided to do this giveaway is that I intend to hit Uni pretty hard this semester (I'd like to do my MFA in the US), so come a few weeks from now I'll likely begin to post only sporadically. End of an era, in a way. ;)

That's great, best of luck with uni. We'll hopefully see you more frequently than you first suppose.

Ozium

why are all the adult swim games so amazing? it doesnt compute

just played a bunch of Super Puzzle Platform Deluxe, goddamn its good

I agree about SHODN and Volgarr looks amazing but SPPD seemed weird to me when looking at it... how does it work exactly?

Do a my loot now, I changed the structure of the PM to reflect what people actually care about.

Great feature. I originally counted out how many games I gave away before.

According to it, I've given away 185(!) games, 105 of which are applicable to "giver" status. That's pretty good, I guess.

The_Monk

Oh I see. Well, there is one good thing and one bad thing about such news but you will always know where to find some good GAFfers. Also, you should drop me a PM for motivational purposes regarding university studies. :p

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Do a my loot now, I changed the structure of the PM to reflect what people actually care about.

oh neat just did it, nice job dude

curses I havent passed Xelios, damn you sale sniping >_<

edit: I assume "aplicable to giver status" is about the 3 month rule?

Nzyme32

Interesting! I think Priit also have the first Dirt, he offered to do this family sharing thing but I declined in the end.

I really hope that winner can be a honest person and nothing negative can come out of it (I do not know all the implications to this).

I also have it, and you are also very welcome to family share it any time over the next several months as I have to focus on some real life things for a while so barely play at all.

Ah thanks. That's pretty smart

Rhaknar

I agree about SHODN and Volgarr looks amazing but SPPD seemed weird to me when looking at it... how does it work exactly?

basically the goal in each level is to do well enough (survive long enough) until you get a diamond, so you keep shooting the block combinations to get little gems to level up, when you level up your gun becomes stronger so you break blocks faster, and more importantly each level is a "life", so if you get knocked on the head with a falling block, you dont die, you lose a level

it starts to ramp up fast and like I said eventually a diamond pops up. each level needs a certain number of diamons to mvoe on to the next level (cumulative, not in the same run)

first level was 4, second level needs 6, etc

Grief.exe

Reposting this giveaway as modbot informs me there are still some unclaimed keys.

Dirty Bomb is awesome if you are looking for a new multiplayer shooter to try out.

Here are some of my favorite games, I always make sure to pick up some extras around the summer sale to make sure others get to enjoy these as well in case they were on the fence.

The Dirty Bomb keys are for Splash Damage's new F2P FPS game. I have been in the alpha for a little while now and the game is quite solid. It's a good mix of Enemy Territory with a variety of different classes, and does not require ADS. You will need to go through their client for this one, get started here http://dirtybomb.nexon.net/Instruction

Dead Island Epidemic is just an extra I had laying around.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Dirty Bomb #4 -- MB-A0EDB0BF783E670C
Dirty Bomb #1 -- MB-BDA461C400CFEA0C - Taken by PunishedSnake. 1 entrants total.
Dirty Bomb #2 -- MB-4A40D9559CE26BBC - Taken by PLASTICA-MAN
Dirty Bomb #3 -- MB-030233CC47DC3A99 - Taken by jediyoshi
Steamworld Dig -- MB-B4A3B82827CC6345 - Taken by dot. 9 entrants total.
Papers Please -- MB-32037B209C818840 - Taken by hitmon. 11 entrants total.
Dead Island Epidemic -- MB-AB56047054746D24
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons -- MB-41C3BBA8B3B2A86B - Taken by Cyberquake. 6 entrants total.

t1404353425z1.png

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Ohhh, the "you must have given a game" thing is restricted to certain games? I thought I was elegible but I am not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But then people will have to learn to look at SteamDB themselves. It will be a scary new world!

Haha, fortunately SteamDB is the lesser of a few evils when it comes to the distillation of information, especially these days with the (admittedly iffy) depot support. (I honestly can't even remember the names of the other two sites I'm thinking of.)

It is written that all non-Americans will end up moving to the US for grad school.

MFA in film, I assume? I... for some reason thought you were an engineer.

Yeah, film. I did CompSci for a while but my heart wasn't in it -- my parents ushered me towards it because of my years growing up around and being good with PC software/system building. A few years ago, in my off time I began to dabble in behind-the-scenes material for films and shows, and soon developed a keen interest. Tertiary fees here are far less of an issue than they are in the US as they don't accrue interest and are automatically deducted from your tax return, although obviously the waters become muddied if you were to move to a different country and study there.

My parents have offered to match whatever I've saved up when the time comes to pursue studies abroad, but with my dad having recently retired I'd prefer to lessen their burden as much as possible. I'm actually quite proud of the fact that I can (mostly) satiate my Steam appetite without dipping into my savings account, although I'd be lying if I said the temptation wasn't there, haha.

Rhaknar

You have the following unclaimed keys registered with ModBot:
Divinity: Original Sin -- used key here

this is not true at all o_O

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Yeah, film. I did CompSci for a while but my heart wasn't in it -- my parents ushered me towards it because of my years growing up around and being good with PC software/system building. A few years ago, in my off time I began to dabble in behind-the-scenes material for films and shows, and soon developed a keen interest. Tertiary fees here are far less of an issue than they are in the US as they don't accrue interest and are automatically deducted from your tax return, although obviously the waters become muddied if you were to move to a different country and study there.

Film school pretty much means NYC or LA. If you end up in LA, let me know, I'll be there for the next few years.

ModBot said:
Instructions for ricochetguro:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 9 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

I Am Vegend - Zombiegeddon -- MB-2208346FFAC43013 - Taken by redlacs
Fearless Fantasy -- MB-4F9F2C7D5AEDA597 - Taken by someguyinahat
Deadly 30 -- MB-DCA0952443AE6F26 - Taken by Sammichu
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 -- MB-4391611FC060D7A0 - Taken by XDDX
Street Racing Syndicate -- MB-133386FC36F0B023 - Taken by Seraphis Cain
Iron Grip: Warlord(pm for dlc) -- MB-C317AACEB7E059D3 - Taken by saunderez
Muffin Knight -- MB-91D4FCE2E4F26BAA - Taken by 8 X 11 Printer Paper
Disciples III: Reincarnation -- MB-6F1D000D5D4FD56C - Taken by user237
Alien Rage: Unlimited -- MB-55CE9E539BE225A7 - Taken by nightstorm

I promise that once I get my phlebotomy certification in a few months and subsquently am able to get a better job I'll in turn give out better games :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom