• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November 2014 - Ride of the Valkyries

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Enhanced Steam has been updated to version 7.0.1. Here are a list of changes found in this maintenance release:
  • Fixed an issue where inventory price info was in USD regardless of the user's currency
  • Fixed a bug that would cause items to be tagged as gifts incorrectly under certain conditions
  • Fixed a bug in regional price comparisons introduced by a change in the API
  • Updated the Firefox build to use the latest Addon SDK that is compatible with newest browsers
This update is available for Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Opera browsers. Opera users will need to wait until the submitted version has been approved

As always, please let me know if you run into any trouble using this version.

Zafir

Speaking of multiplayer and pricing, I know that the MP side of things is usually more repetative than Single Player content but how many of your replay single player games over and over again? Isn't that overpriced for a one and done game at £40/€50/$60 compared to a multi only title that if the community is healthy can last much, much longer. I got about 500 hours out of Bad Company 2 (bizarely on PS3) and only about 7 of that was single player amd that portion was never touched again. So if we divy up the £35 I paid for it then the single player portion was worth 30p there or there abouts where as the multi was worth £34.70. Now you can't really devide fun up into metrics like that, of course not as I had waaaaay more fun with the multi than the single player campaign.
Well, I'm talking about just Evolve. I would agree if Evolve had more content. However, with it just being one game mode at the moment, a map change and monster changes doesn't really add enough for it to be incredibly repayable imo.

Mind you, I don't hold MP as highly as some. Outside of L4D1/2, MMOs and Hearthstone I've never really put a lot of time into MP.

Dr Dogg

Seeing as jshackles has posted an ES update and I forgot to mention this the other day. One of the best things about a full fat Windows tablet is that you can have Enhanced Steam running on your browser of choice and be a lazy bum not stuck behind a desk too!

Well, I'm talking about just Evolve. I would agree if Evolve had more content. However, with it just being one game mode at the moment, a map change and monster changes doesn't really add enough for it to be incredibly repayable imo.

Mind you, I don't hold MP as highly as some. Outside of L4D1/2, MMOs and Hearthstone I've never really put a lot of time into MP.

It's always a hard one to judge as while the game may be the same we can all get something different out of it. I for one got and still get a lot of milage out of BF4 due to my motley crew of mates who having be playing Battlefield for nigh on 10 years. Kind of makes even shit games entertaining when you get a good crowd together (Borderlands is testement to that). But then again their population and server issue that are out of your control that can ruin even a great game. If the numbers aren't there or the game has issues even running then in the 100mph world of gaming there is always something else around the corner to grab our attention.

zkylon

zkylewd
spent some time playing the kentucky route zero short stories, really liked them all. some thoughts

limits and demonstrations is kinda like a tiny cut chapter from the game, you walk around, look at things and answer weird questions with weird answers. pretty straightforward kr0 stuff

the entertainer is prolly the most interesting one, you're basically an extra in a play and just stare at things and rz0-esque things happen. i really like the idea of games as theater plays, so i really enjoyed this one. being a motionless extra you're sit in between the audience and the real actors and it leads to a very weird situation of the traditional kentucky route zero dreamworld voyeuristic thing but also a very strong feeling of being watched. it's pretty interesting, i liked it a lot

here and there along the echo is also pretty good but i enjoyed it less. it's basically you and one of those auto voice machines or however they're called and you're like you just called 1-1800-WEIRD or something. there's a lot of "physicality" to this one, in that you punch the numbers one by one and can just hold the phone on either ear or set it to speaker, etc. everything works like it should, it's a perfect "phone simulator". feels really good with headphones and it's pretty atmospheric. it's also pretty frustrating to deal with as those machines always are. you get a lot of extension numbers for i guess some more weird stuff but for some reason none of them were working for me

anywho all three are obviously pretty recommended for people that liked kentucky route zero, like always it's all pretty strange and dark and surreal in that david lynch style of familiar but disturbing shit.

and in that vein i also recommend glitchhikers which is a short game of the strange-things-happening-at-night-to-lonely-people kind

Great, will keep using it then. I saw a youtube video of Schafer at Metropolis (it does sound cooler). Someone was cosplaying as Manny from Grim Fandango. It's nice that Metropolis keeps doing this conference thingy.
yeah that manny dude was pretty cool

i was gonna ask tim to take a picture with me but i was so nervous i chickened out until the last minute and when i finally found the courage to ask him (aka my friends forced me to) someone took my tim away :(

tbh i would've probably embarrassed myself and tried to hug him and take him home with me so i guess it's better for everyone this way

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have an issue with Firefox 33. When I go to http://steamcommunity.com/market/ the whole browser including every browser window hangs for a few seconds. Though that hang seems to have become shorter with this version of ES.

If you have a lot of market history, you may want to disable the "Show Transaction Summary on Market" option and see if that helps.

AWESOME!

Now only if you could make steam client store use Enhanced Steam...

There is a "standalone" version of Enhanced Steam but it hasn't been updated yet to work with the new store layout as I've been focused entirely on the Chrome / Firefox / Opera version at this time.

I just wanted to mention that I just installed this extension for the first time, and it's extremely useful. Thanks!

No problem! Let me know if you run into any issues.

I have an issue with Firefox 33. When I go to http://steamcommunity.com/market/ the whole browser including every browser window hangs for a few seconds. Though that hang seems to have become shorter with this version of ES.

I had a similar issue in Chrome if I tried to do stuff while ES was still loading (like sorting badges list). As long as I let ES fully load first, I wouldn't the problem. Not sure if it's the same as your problem, but it reminded me of it.

I tried to gift Evolve to someone who has an Alpha key, but Steam seems to have registered the Alpha key as the full game as it wouldn't let me gift. What's up with that.

derExperte

If you have a lot of market history, you may want to disable the "Show Transaction Summary on Market" option and see if that helps.

Are you a wizard? Yep, that fixed it.

I had a similar issue in Chrome if I tried to do stuff while ES was still loading (like sorting badges list). As long as I let ES fully load first, I wouldn't the problem. Not sure if it's the same as your problem, but it reminded me of it.

No, would hang no matter what.

jshackles

Are you a wizard? Yep, fixed it.

Nope, just that it's a pretty common problem people have. The issue is twofold - first that Valve only allows 1,000 transaction records in their API meaning that you're going to have a separate API hit for every 1,000 records there. Secondly, Enhanced Steam has to parse the JSON data for each hit and calculate the relevant results. This can cause people's browsers to hang if you have a lot of market transactions.

Zafir

Seeing as jshackles has posted an ES update and I forgot to mention this the other day. One of the best things about a full fat Windows tablet is that you can have Enhanced Steam running on your browser of choice and be a lazy bum not stuck behind a desk too!

It's always a hard one to judge as while the game may be the same we can all get something different out of it. I for one got and still get a,lot of milage put of BF4 due to my motley crew of mates who having be playing Battlefield for nigh on 10 years. Kind of makes even shit games entertaining when you get a good crowd together (Borderlands is testement to that). But then again their population and server issue that are out of your control that can ruin even a great game. If the numbers aren't there or the game has issues even running in the 100mph world of gaming there is always something else around the corner to grab our attention.
Well, yeah but BF4 has multiple game modes, and even matches themselves can vary a lot more than what Evolves matches can. The objectives are a lot more dynamic in BF4 than what has been shown off so far between videos and the alpha of Evolve.

I dunno, I just don't see it having legs unless they come out with something more.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Who knows. :)

yuraya

Probably already been asked and answered. But is there any way to find out the ETA on the Dark Souls GFWL patch? I know they said nov but am really hoping its early early nov.

Also is there something that needs to be done manually to carry over the save file? or will it automatically transfeer when they patch it?

Maybe later they make some kind of "L4D" mode with some smaller monsters instead of zombies.

I really wonder what they wanna do with the game in the long run. If it has a long run...

They seem to have been pushing it as the next big eSport, but I'm not sure. Tournaments would be awkward because I kind of wonder how teams would be structured. Would there be dedicated monster occurred or would a hunter double up; would the teams be just the four hunters with informant monsters, or would a team be five members, the hunters plus the monster? How would matches be set up, especially in best of series. Those are just the things on the too of my head. I think it'd be cool, but I have no idea how it'd work.

zkylon

zkylewd
Probably already been asked and answered. But is there any way to find out the ETA on the Dark Souls GFWL patch? I know they said nov but am really hoping its early early nov.

Also is there something that needs to be done manually to carry over the save file? or will it automatically transfeer when they patch it?

according to saoirse it'll be sometime this month

there's a process if you want to transfer your savefile but from hasn't been specific yet afaik

New Alone in the Dark: Illumination trailer, which shows off some gameplay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-6BVnUGbuU
that looks awful and i hate the female character already

but it's a very shitty trailer so who knows

Made by different devs and non-canon so not really. Not terrible but nothing interesting either.

Yeah I figured as much, didn't know they were non canon though, if they don't have anything to do with the story, then I'm just going to move on, I honestly thought FEAR 1 got a little long in the tooth in the middle and I'm ready for something different, thanks for the heads up.

Strazyplus

There is a "standalone" version of Enhanced Steam but it hasn't been updated yet to work with the new store layout as I've been focused entirely on the Chrome / Firefox / Opera version at this time.

I did not know of this "standalone version nor do I see Enhanced Steam site advertise it at all. since its not updated to the new store how does the standalone work? does it inject itself into steam or is it a proper "standalone" application that views the store page? If standalone from a browser and steam would be silly since just about everyone uses Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browsers as it would hardly be needed.

Dr Dogg

Well, yeah but BF4 has multiple game modes, and even matches themselves can vary a lot more than what Evolves matches can. The objectives are a lot more dynamic in BF4 than what has been shown off so far between videos and the alpha of Evolve.

I dunno, I just don't see it having legs unless they come out with something more.

Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. Who knows. :)

Sure I know what you mean, and with Evolve already setting out a plan for updates in the future it seems without content in place it might make the initial offering look a bit thin but really you can't say until the game is out in the wild. Although I guess the Alpha is a taste.

Really though I was commenting on the issue that gets raised with price on multi only games in general but not brought up with single player only titles. I can see the argument from both sides and also see problems and differing values with both but it's never as cut and shut as x isn't worth it because it's missing y.

But saying that I sunk hours upon hours into the beta for Bad Company 2 and that was just Rush on Arica Harbour. But one good mode on a great map with gameplay that was getting tuned made that experience worth it. Evolve on the otherhand looks like something I'd only pick up if friends were intrested and it was on sale regardless of price.

jshackles

I did not know of this "standalone version nor do I see Enhanced Steam site advertise it at all. since its not updated to the new store how does the standalone work? does it inject itself into steam or is it a proper "standalone" application that views the store page? If standalone from a browser and steam would be silly since just about everyone uses Chrome, Firefox, and Opera browsers as it would hardly be needed.

Original post here

Basically it runs a local proxy which intercepts Steam web traffic and injects the relevant javascript. The application itself is just the lightweight proxy server, your browsing is still done on the Steam client itself (or any other browser, like Internet Explorer).

The code is completely open source, but like I said it's not been updated to work with the new store layout meaning a lot of features don't work.

If anyone wants a 15% Road Redemption coupon let me know. It stacks with the current 20% sale.

(Valid until 11/2/2014 3:59:00 AM)

Dr Dogg

So we're trashing Square now because SEGA will let us run Valkyria Chronicles at 3276fps @ 9764x1235p?

Seems about right.

I'm sure Square will have a resolution in place for FFXIII that will apease the install base :p

It's the internet frost, you know what some folks are like. The nuanced subtlity between emotions are sadly lacking so the lines between elatation and exasperation to enraged and angered are about a millimeter apart.

I'm just pleased we get these late ports on PC at all. Helps trim down my physical PS3 collection.

vg260

Got a Steam coupon I don't need:
66% off on the title Wolfenstein TNO, Skyrim Legendary, or Dishonored GOTY.
Can't be applied with other discounts.
(Valid until 11/6/2014, 12:00:00 PM)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (2n2, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

66% OFF Wolfenstein TNO, Skyrim Legendary, or Dishonored GOTY -- MB-9B5957BAD2A37A90 - Taken by deadcelledo

Lomax

SEGA got their "we're gonna dump a god-awful port of a couple of year old console game on Steam" out of their system with the Viking: Battle for Asgard release.

I'm glad this new thread de-Evolve-d into Valkyria talk. This, Isaac Rebirth and Smash Wii U are the only games I care about this birthday month.

Finalow

nice banner.

can't wait for Binding Of Isaac, I played the 'original' a lot. probably at the second place for most hours spent in an indie roguelike game after FTL.

zkylon

zkylewd
Just finished FEAR, are either of the expansions worth playing or should I just move on to FEAR 2?
the expansions aren't terrible but they're more of the same. i actually kind of like extraction point better than the main game

i didn't care much for fear 2 even tho it's pretty alright

and didn't last more than half an hour of fear 3

Faabulous

Am I missing some sort of joke or is Farming Simulator 2015 really fun or something? Jesus, top seller in the midst of a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom