• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmarg

Why are Aussies always getting the short end of the stick? A land full of Stuff out to kill humans, and insanely priced softwares.

Considering $57 AUD currently equals $49.50 USD, in this case they aren't getting the short end of the stick, they are getting a slightly shorter long end of the stick.

The prices publishers set for Australian pricing is still bullshit, but that has very little to do with the cost of steam wallet funds.

Tizoc

guys, I think we have a problem...
I'm addicted to Letter Quest: Grimm's Journey already.

Likewise XD.

Think you could make a thread to inform more people about it in GD? I got no Thread creating privileges for the foreseeable future.

autoduelist

I downloaded it from the Groupee's installer. I don't like the music. It's a turn-based game with permadeath and lots of loot. Gameplay reminded me of Battlepaths but with pixel graphics. Also has an easy mode for those that don't like to die. All I have to say is that I'd rather play Dungeon Dashers.

Dungeon Dashers is on my wishlist. I haven't played Battlepaths yet.

Music and pixel graphics don't matter to me, I'm only interested in how it plays. Permadeath + lewt sounds perfect. Thanks! I'm going to have to push Dungeon Dashers higher on my want list too.

It's in two bundles right now that I know of if you wanna snag a cheap key.

Oh, thanks. Looks like Groupees and DailyIndieGame? I never heard of the second one so maybe I'll just go with the groupees.

Bundles overwhelm me.

Dr Dogg

Guys any thoughts on this monitor? It's the last thing I need to buy for my PC build :D

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-070-AC

I was looking at G-Sync before but they're too expensive after I've already spent so much (more than double the above one :/)
Think it's a good choice and how much am I missing out on by not paying the premium for 144hz and G-Sync?

As I said to your monitor thread what exactly is your main priority? £600+ for a TN panel regardless if it has G-Sync or not is just crazy. Here's a decent breakdown of all the pros and cons of each panel type (top tip there isn't a catch all, tick every box solution).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

It's a bit of an old article now with a few panel types not really used anymore but pretty much everything still applies and should give you an idea of what to expect from each type of panel though even still not all panels are created equal and some TN's can be better than other, some IPS panels can have lower input latency than average or lower static contrast that any thing, some VA panels can have horrendous contrast shift while other can have faster response times than a TN panel. Research, research ,research is the order of the day and even then that didn't quite work for me as I've bought 3 monitors this year trying to find something that ticked all my boxes. Seeing something in person is always a great idea but I know how fucked we are for large change PC retailers round here that give decent demos (PC World really don't cut it). I went and saw a G-Sync demo and was impressed with the tech but a TN panel is still a TN panel for me and I'm immediately picking up on it's faults that drive me crazy. You on the other hand might be completely different.

Edit: Since you're looking at OC's website I saw this a couple of days ago which had me tempted.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-109-IY&groupid=17&catid=1120

TTL did have a sneak look at one in a review of a Asus Strix 980 so he will probably do a review on it soon enough.
http://youtu.be/wK-g_SszUvM?t=3m47s

I mean an IPS panel at 2560x1440 with a glossy screen sounds almost too good to be true for work uses and media consumption. Input latency would be my only concern but my iiyama XB2483HSU has about 3 different versions of overdrive that bring that down to less than a frame.

Shouldn't your post say "shit port" somewhere in there to keep the satire consistent? :p

Please don't encourage him. It's gotten quite tired already.

Absolutely, MGS4 is the best MGS to date in my opinion, it perfects the gameplay and is just the ultimate fan service game for MGS fans and people that are interested in the story.
There's a distinction to be made between fan service (see: something like the Nintendo outfits in Bayonetta 2) and fanfic material written by amateurs like in MGS 4. Gameplay might've been fine, but the story, characters, cutscenes and so forth were so embarrassing. I didn't think it looked very good visually either, relative to its predecessors during their respective release windows.

Tizoc

You have a custom tag though. :)

I don't like it.
I was kinda thinking on settling on something like 'I clench my buttocks whenever a demon smirks'
Or 'Proprietor of the Southtown Steamed Griffon Shack' ya know somethin like that :V

Arthea

Likewise XD.

Think you could make a thread to inform more people about it in GD? I got no Thread creating privileges for the foreseeable future.

I want to make 20 letter word so badly!
I know maybe 5 20 letter words, so I guess getting 20 random letters to make those 5 words is totally impossible! (><)
my best was 13 letter word so far (._.)

I don't know what's a point of such thread, the game is pretty niche, and fairly new, it would be 5 post thread at best, no?

To combat home sickness, Evilore installed a device that makes them face the correct Australian way. ;)

then why avatars still face the wrong way?

You have a custom tag though. :)

while you really should try Letter Quest, I mean really!

Tizoc

I want to make 20 letter word so badly!
I know maybe 5 20 letter words, so I guess getting 20 random letters to make those 5 words is totally impossible! (><)
my best was 13 letter word so far (._.)

I don't know what's a point of such thread, the game is pretty niche, and fairly new, it would be 5 post thread at best, no?

then why avatars still face the wrong way?

while you really should try Letter Quest, I mean really!
I am still cranking my brain to think of a word that has 2 Qs in it...I used google, but got like 10 letter words that I don't think I could ever make in one set of letters or even pronounce without biting my tongue :V

Haunted

Letter Quest isn't Bookworm Adventures, but it's ok.

Yeah, it has weak art, shit music, the gameplay/upgrade structure seems pretty fucked (I assume it started out as a Facebook/ios game), it defaults to AmE spelling (ugh) and has some "custom" words that actually don't exist as a incentive to buy a premium version, BUT Letter Quest has one thing that no other entry in the genre has.

It actually shows you a dictionary explanation of the word you just spelt.

sogood.gif.

Congrats to the winners of Fuzzy's major giveaway! ^-^
damn
-
Crossing Souls: An Adventure Between Life and Death
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/424511716/crossing-souls-an-adventure-between-life-and-death
$14,949 pledged of $45,000 goal.
86cfcc16daba4fbc6b303f99b76fe142_large.gif

a73402e0c78d6f258f830d5f4f1b1902_large.gif

068832c49a5c66c7a41738724094a52d_large.gif

ac1641e01f18368383976b209d9146fe_large.gif

f68f14a2e0935e27d832927b6badd3d0_large.gif
This looks relly cool. Hope they make it.
-
Hm.. I might so a short write up on Mount&Blade: Warband's upcoming DLC/Expansion Viking Conquest that's coming this December. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJx6yQ5wmwY
Oh please do! Very interested in it.
-
As I said to your monitor thread what exactly is your main priority? £600+ for a TN panel regardless if it has G-Sync or not is just crazy. Here's a decent breakdown of all the pros and cons of each panel type (top tip there isn't a catch all, tick every box solution).[..]
Thank as always for this detailed write-up. Bookmarked for future.
-
Games that can still be used as recommendations for the December thread:
1Quest
ss_e06f8ab2702b68401e0b2143e7df1d1d9dea3f1e.600x338.jpg
People seem to be excited about this. Hm, bought some copies for gifting :3
Now only more friends should wishlist this, hah.
ULTRAWORLD
ss_dbe0e9d86cde3518fd436e9a3a569aef07862a1f.600x338.jpg

GRAV
ss_2f607db8e55264af7eb29ecd8ed3be9546149f5d.600x338.jpg

fault milestone one
ss_858f0403fe82e41137a6202e54c21805b2fa5e9e.600x338.jpg

Hellraid
ss_1e665cdaafef181dc072156b0f910dd12897810e.600x338.jpg

FRONTIERS
ss_049f13d62021be8c6a436d4bd29d697d1e825293.600x338.jpg

Game of Thrones - A Telltale Games Series
ss_cdc027dfa15314d9c35ef64d072eb7a52254c0ef.600x338.jpg

Lumino City
ss_0717a54eec7d2ff2b37c4b3f10ab2692a607dbdd.600x338.jpg
Wow, all of these look really cool and promising. Great month.
X Rebirth: The Teladi Outpost
ss_0104eecf9da914404920004d5dd9fcf28ec9b973.600x338.jpg
About this. I think it should be noted that it is going to be a free DLC for owners of X Rebirth.
An on that. Holy smokes! Look at the general rating of the game!
Ge1p6kc.png

gYfEtL8.png

But I feel this is weirdly not appropriate or fair for the actual, current game. As it looks from new reviews from people with lot of game time, the devs seem to have addressed many complaints and bugs from the V1.0. Looks like the game deserves a new chance.
Sadly many folks probably felt burnt when buying it at release (rightfully), gave the game its then deserving bad review and never looked back :/
It's really deterring for people who land on Rebirth's page and see the damning consensus though. I'd advise the pub/devs to re-release the game in its now more polished state. Idk, maybe X Rebirth Phoenix or something and give it to the original owners of Rebirth for free! That's very important as a show of goodwill and apology. That way the "newer" release would have better and fairer reviews and newcomers wouldn't be opposed to it unfairly. Just a thought.

Since GTAV is expected to release in Jan is there a chance R* will pull a Konami and have the pre-orders go live on the holiday sale with a discount?

There's a distinction to be made between fan service (see: something like the Nintendo outfits in Bayonetta 2) and fanfic material written by amateurs like in MGS 4. Gameplay might've been fine, but the story, characters, cutscenes and so forth were so embarrassing. I didn't think it looked very good visually either, relative to its predecessors during their respective release windows.

Bayonetta fan service seems like a couple of cheap character and weapon skins, and MGS4 is no crazier than any of the other MGS games and I thought the story and writing did the best it could wrapping up all the lose ends in the Solid Snake era character arc, and in terms of visuals, I still find it to be one of the best looking games on PS3, the framerate is spotty sure, but the amount of detail in the world, characters, weapons, and animations is hard to beat.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Since GTAV is expected to release in Jan is there a chance R* will pull a Konami and have the pre-orders go live on the holiday sale with a discount?

Possibly. I hope R* forgets to change the sub name beforehand so I can tell everyone I bought a Shetland pony.

Arthea

wait... 20 letter word? What was wrong with me yesterday... 15 is max possible.
That's too funny (><)

I have the game installed, but I've been playing Valkyria exclusively for the last two weeks.

I wish someone would make a Picross RPG... :\

yea, I'm supposed to be finishing FF13, to get those GBs off my hdd, instead I was playing Letter Quest like there is no tomorrow

I would so buy a Picross RPG...

Haunted

^^ Ultraworld has grabbed my attention with that single screenshot, reminds me of Mirror Moon. I'll look into it.

edit: oh god the colours!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
While at GTAV

How many DRM layers will GTAV have?

Jury is still out on that, but Social Club will be present at the very least. It's still unclear as to whether or not retail copies will register on Steam.

Knurek

yea, I'm supposed to be finishing FF13, to get those GBs off my hdd, instead I was playing Letter Quest like there is no tomorrow

I'm terrible at word puzzles. :(
Like, 5-letter word max terrible. :\

I would so buy a Picross RPG...

Should be doable even with Puzzle Quest formula - have the computer solve the puzzle in a separate window. You could also have magic attacks that remove marked squares, reverse the keys or rotate the whole board or even encrypt the line numbers.

Would also need at least a few hundred decent puzzles for the campaign...

zkylon

zkylewd
yea chapter 7 in valkyria is kind of bullshit

this game is awesome tho, i love it

it's like front mission, suikoden, final fantasy tactics, it has all the jrpg stuff i love and then dumps a ton of politics and war stuff on top of it

so cool, i'm really glad this game did great on steam

Yes and Yes.
that's very lame

most i've gotten is a b so far

Don't question such things ok. It's better to appreciate that they don't use all of it or else I would have lost many scouts in the line of duty.
lol yeah, it's weird

i just learned that some cp carries over from turn to turn even tho they don't say it. it's weird cos the tutorial was pretty comprehensive but some stuff is left unsaid for some reason

Knurek

yea chapter 7 in valkyria is kind of bullshit

this game is awesome tho, i love it

It's not as bad if you know what's coming and prepare a sniper team to dispatch of most of reinforcements.
Unfortunately the games likes to trick you like that in further missions - many of which are banal when you know what will happen and impossible when going blind. :\

AHA-Lambda

As I said to your monitor thread what exactly is your main priority? £600+ for a TN panel regardless if it has G-Sync or not is just crazy. Here's a decent breakdown of all the pros and cons of each panel type (top tip there isn't a catch all, tick every box solution).

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/panel_technologies.htm

It's a bit of an old article now with a few panel types not really used anymore but pretty much everything still applies and should give you an idea of what to expect from each type of panel though even still not all panels are created equal and some TN's can be better than other, some IPS panels can have lower input latency than average or lower static contrast that any thing, some VA panels can have horrendous contrast shift while other can have faster response times than a TN panel. Research, research ,research is the order of the day and even then that didn't quite work for me as I've bought 3 monitors this year trying to find something that ticked all my boxes. Seeing something in person is always a great idea but I know how fucked we are for large change PC retailers round here that give decent demos (PC World really don't cut it). I went and saw a G-Sync demo and was impressed with the tech but a TN panel is still a TN panel for me and I'm immediately picking up on it's faults that drive me crazy. You on the other hand might be completely different.

Edit: Since you're looking at OC's website I saw this a couple of days ago which had me tempted.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-109-IY&groupid=17&catid=1120

TTL did have a sneak look at one in a review of a Asus Strix 980 so he will probably do a review on it soon enough.
http://youtu.be/wK-g_SszUvM?t=3m47s

I mean an IPS panel at 2560x1440 with a glossy screen sounds almost too good to be true for work uses and media consumption. Input latency would be my only concern but my iiyama XB2483HSU has about 3 different versions of overdrive that bring that down to less than a frame.

Please don't encourage him. It's gotten quite tired already.

Hot damn that's a lot of good info, thanks! :D

ViviOggi

i just learned that some cp carries over from turn to turn even tho they don't say it. it's weird cos the tutorial was pretty comprehensive but some stuff is left unsaid for some reason
You must have skipped over it, the tutorial definitely mentions unused CP carrying over.

zkylon

zkylewd
It's not as bad if you know what's coming and prepare a sniper team to dispatch of most of reinforcements.
Unfortunately the games likes to trick you like that in further missions - many of which are banal when you know what will happen and impossible when going blind. :\

yeah i actually had a group of machinegun dudes set up in a position that they just gunned down all the reinforcements. i had set them up to dispatch the enemy units that rushing to capture one of the bases at the beginning, and it worked too for the reinforcements

most of my issues with that chapter was the megatank randomly one-shotting the edelweiss

I ragequit VC after my first blind attempt at chapter 7 and now I'm only playing Dota
it's not a hard mission at all, like knurek said, once you know what to do it's really easy and actually pretty quick

You must have skipped over it, the tutorial definitely mentions unused CP carrying over.
ah alright, sorry to put it on the game

i tend to zone off during tutorials so i must've missed that

Deques

Holy crap at the IndieGala Store design. It's basically the same as the Humble Store.

They really need to fire their designer. Everything they do are similar to Humble pages

No it's not.
It has the basket on left side of the screen. Humble has the basket or right side of the screen.

Viewing game details is exactly same way as Humble

I think Knurek was making a joke. The difference they mentioned is fairly insignificant.

I know it was a joke :p

Arthea

I'm not so sure it's original design to begin with, it can be one of "provided" default ones, not that I know for sure, but it seems logical, rather than outright copying it. Then again, it's indiegala we are talking about (><)

I'm terrible at word puzzles. :(
Like, 5-letter word max terrible. :\

Should be doable even with Puzzle Quest formula - have the computer solve the puzzle in a separate window. You could also have magic attacks that remove marked squares, reverse the keys or rotate the whole board or even encrypt the line numbers.

Would also need at least a few hundred decent puzzles for the campaign...
you would get better with time, unless it's not your thing, I mean you don't find it fun.

You know what, you should just make it, I'll buy! (><)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom