• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | November II 2014 - Autumn Sale starts the 26th

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustLynx

Main menu is saying 1.4.0 for me. Weird thing is that the download switched to 33 mb for me after I moved it up the queue to check it out.

yeah its 33mb for me too, and i have no idea what the main menu says cause all i have is a blackscreen... :(

in their last update they removed 33mb, maybe they just brought it back...
https://steamdb.info/app/298110/history/
and I don't see in either their blogs or forums that they announced that they released the 1.4 patch...

komorebi

Damn, Dragon Age Inquisition is so good. Haven't been able to stop playing, even missed that there was a new Steam thread.:D I got a cold so been home sick, I think my body somehow just knew I needed to be home.

Agreed, I'm having a blast with it. I'm not going to say EA/Bioware are redeemed but this is a textbook case of rescuing a franchise from the edge. Granted, it wouldn't have been that hard to do after DA2 -- it simply required a finished game. But they went above and beyond that and listened to all the feedback and criticism and made a great comeback. I'm enjoying it.

Xanathus

Can I come back to Gran Pulse if I finish the main story?

It prompts you to save the game after you finsh the final boss and see credits and stuff, which loads you right before the final boss. You can then backtrack one portal and there will be another portal that goes to Gran Pulse.

so today is my birthday , to celebrate it take some games that i like ;)
Happi barsudei!
-
Renaming or re-releasing games to bypass old review/Metacritic scores is frowned upon. I seem to remember some dinosaur(?) game tried it once and it didn't go down too well for them.
Personally I think having this strongly negative review score is fair. They released a broken and incomplete game and burned their most loyal customers. There need to be consequences for doing shit like that. Besides, Steam reviews can be modified later if a player chooses to, so it's not set in stone like Metacritic scores for example.
Well yeah, like I said the original v1 they released is deservingly bad rated but it seems the devs adressed many complaints and bugs by now. That's why I also said they should give the "new" release for free to owners of the original. And there's no excuse to release a broken/very bad version of the game as "full".
Also, by review and score I didn't mean metacritic but the steam user reviews. It's just that the game in its current state doesn't reflect the hugely damning steam-reviews. I took myself as an example. I looked at the steampage and immediately saw the "mostly negative" text. If I hadn't checked user reviews more thorough, I'd have never realized that the game is not like that currently. That new-release would be good for people who are learning about the game new.
And I do understand about that dinosaur game. But did they give the new version for free to older customers or did they want them to pay again? That does matter a lot imo.

chronomac

It appears that the original Zeno Clash now has cards.

kGvPZ3a.png

What did I miss this weekend?

redlacs

btw Zeno Clash card alert

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Worms Blast -- MB-1E2A816B2227CA9C - Taken by Accoun

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of salazar547, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rogue Legacy -- MB-DD17131D293576A6 - Taken by Catshade. 23 entrants total.
Final Exam -- MB-D7206C6068F36AB3 - Taken by darkchewie. 14 entrants total.
Skullgirls -- MB-89A59831327D81F1 - Taken by Knurek. 24 entrants total.

t1416844388z1.png

Terra_Ex

So we're now in community I see, haven't been on gaf much lately.
Dragon Age: Inquisition is a better videogame than Planescape. So there's that.
Planescape never made me want to smash my keyboard and mouse due to a shitty control scheme, so no.

Someone take these keys before they expire, doesn't matter who:
Risk of Rain - https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=X7spXkK32SYPkeeB
Risk of Rain - https://humblebundle.com/s?gift=svCWSKucHTusk56D
Insurgency - https://www.humblebundle.com/?gift=y7CCrkMEE5wKCmDG

Just beat it on my 2nd try. Not so bad till that woman shows up and starts decimating your squad. Thankfully I didn't lose anyone.
I love that mission so much, still remember the first time she appeared, blitzed across the battlefield and wrecked my squad.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I'll watch this when I get off of work.

I hope it breaks the downward spiral the Arkham games have been on and return the series to Asylum levels of greatness.

I quite enjoyed Origins, it added some nice elements. City wasn't as good as Asylum though, I thought Asylum was more focused.

Sarcasm

Anybody played Betrayer?

I got to the point where it told me to press x and listen..but nothing happens.

and some clue to go find some hill well..there are many

So lost....

Miguel81

Grief.exe

Anybody played Betrayer?

So lost....
Keep walking around and listening until there is an audio clue.

By the time I clicked the confirmation button for my 0.15, they were already at 0.7

$0,07 you mean? Clearly, those cards were not waifu enough. ;P

I'm doing as advised and when I can't sell certain card sets I'll complete them to craft during sale events.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone for the game recommendations, I finished To The Moon yesterday. I felt it dragged on a bit too long towards the end or I got used to shorter games... Either way, I quite liked it but maybe it was already too late to play it because I didn't feel the impact others felt.

Now maybe I'll go an finish Whispering Willows (which I think I'm half-way in) and then perhaps Claire and maybe start Lone Survivor DC (played original but it was so-so).

Hopefully DreadOut is going to be part of the winter sale... I need me some Fatal Frame-like on PC title.

inm8num2

Anybody played Betrayer?

So lost....

I played some Betrayer this weekend. I'm still on the 2nd map - not sure if enemies are being added or what. Can't seem to get rid of all the corruption so I can pass through the south gate.

It's a decent game but sorely needs the ability for the user to mark points on the map (e.g. "pile of rocks" or "statue") so that revisiting them can be done without endless wandering.

S1n1st3r

Banned
I still think Asylum's Scarecrow sequence still have some of the best uses of Physx to date.

City can be quite heavy on the Physx side of things and Origins performed better with using one card dedicated to Physx compared to both in SLI.

Watching that video I can't help but think that 80% of that could be faked without real physics.

All the rigid body examples were happening at triggered events. Sure it won't be a true simulation, but it would look the exact same, sort of how valve does precalculated cinematic physics in its newer games (portal 2, HL2 Ep2). If the end result looks the same, then wat does it matter.

Sure, fake fog would'nt be dispaced, but it really adds to the atmosphere .

The only impossible things were the ripping cloth and fog displacement.

Dr Dogg

You folks thinking of getting a new controller anytime soon? Here's an 'interesting' kickstarter project to look at.

Watching that video I can't help but think that 80% of that could be faked without real physics.

All the rigid body examples were happening at triggered events. Sure it won't be a true simulation, but it would look the exact same, sort of how valve does precalculated cinematic physics in its newer games (portal 2, HL2 Ep2). If the end result looks the same, then wat does it matter.

Sure, fake fog would'nt be dispaced, but it really adds to the atmosphere .

The only impossible things were the ripping cloth and fog displacement.

Sure it's not like Nvidia have all the answers and that it wouldn't be possible to even just animate the effects or use some other physics based simulation not reliant on GPU accelerated physics to do the leg work. But like Kinect's Voice Libraries which made speech recognition an easy feature to implement in Mass Effect 3 on 360 it's a custom built SDK that allows this stuff to be done easily and without lots and lots of work. Fits in with the middleware nature of most game engines theses days to allow developers to be more productive. And let's be honest it's just extra eye candy and not crucial to the enjoyment of said game.

Though some of the more larger Physx effect have monumental performance costs, especially whilst trying to render both the game and do physics calculations at the same time and hit a 16ms target for a 60fps update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom