• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

Compbros

Tekken was also a small community in 1996, in 1998 it took over market share dominance from Street Fighter. Tekken was the new kid on the block. It can be debated right now that Tekken is larger overall in size when compared to SF.

Considering just about every tournament of the past 5 years I'm gonna have to disagree.

Tekken was also a small community in 1996, in 1998 it took over market share dominance from Street Fighter. Tekken was the new kid on the block. It can be debated right now that Tekken is larger overall in size when compared to SF.

How much does Tekken sell nowadays? Tekken 3 is still the biggest fighting game with +8M copies sold iirc.

Jburton

Banned
How happy are Namco and NetherRealm right now? Capcom just removed their main competition from a ten million+ platform.

Namco paid Capcom to go exclusive. You read it here first.

What 10 million plus platform us that?

No way is X1 sold through at those numbers.

Compbros

How much does Tekken sell nowadays? Tekken 3 is still the biggest fighting game with +8M copies sold iirc.

The latest iteration sold like 1.6 I believe. I think the only fighters that have sold over 3 million since SFIV's release have been SFIV, MK9, Injustice, Tekken 6 and U/MvC3 (combined).

GorillaJu

From my own observations at game centers, Tekken is considerably more popular in Japan and Korea, but SF4 is definitely second place. Any arcade will usually have 8-10 Tekken seats and 4-6 SF4 seats, and the Tekken seats are always filled while I can actually play single player on SF4 sometimes.

Not to say SF4 isn't also big, I just think it's mostly in the US and Europe where it's the dominant fighting game.

Tekken 6 jumped the shark with Tekken 6 and still sold more that SF4 vanilla. Namco is currently in the shit with TTT2. Right now the right product could steal market share.

Compbros

How happy are Namco and NetherRealm right now? Capcom just removed their main competition from a ten million+ platform.

Namco paid Capcom to go exclusive. You read it here first.

Considering SFV was just announced and probably nowhere near done and MKX has a release in April while Tekken 7's cabinet comes out in February I don't think they care. SFV is likely a 2016 release or, at best, late 2015, well away from those two releases.

NeonZ

TTT2 actually did pretty poorly, considering how it seemed to be the next big Tekken game. Around January 2013, it had shifted about 1.35 million units worldwide. Soulcalibur 5, for comparison, in spite of being rushed and clearly sidelined compared to TTT2, had shifted 1.7 million units by the same January. Both are rather low compared to their previous entries though.

We didn't get official numbers from Namco for either one afterwards, so I don't think they've moved much since then.

I've said it before, but if Capcom just does iterations like they did after Super, you won't see it on Xbox. Boyes' statement seemed pretty set in stone.

Bruce said not to expect future iterations on XB1 either. I still find it incredible that this is happening considering how 360 was big part of the Street Fighter IV scene but here we are.

From my own observations at game centers, Tekken is considerably more popular in Japan and Korea, but SF4 is definitely second place. Any arcade will usually have 8-10 Tekken seats and 4-6 SF4 seats, and the Tekken seats are always filled while I can actually play single player on SF4 sometimes.

Not to say SF4 isn't also big, I just think it's mostly in the US and Europe where it's the dominant fighting game.

This is correct.

Compbros

Bruce said not to expect future iterations on XB1 either. I still find it incredible that this is happening considering how 360 was big part of the Street Fighter IV scene but here we are.

It was only big because it played SFIV better, as it did with most multiplats. FGC doesn't have a preference, they just want the game as stable as possible.

Cynn

Considering SFV was just announced and probably nowhere near done and MKX has a release in April while Tekken 7's cabinet comes out in February I don't think they care. SFV is likely a 2016 release or, at best, late 2015, well away from those two releases.

If it's a lifetime console exclusive then it's not just about when their own products release but the fact that a Street Fighter isn't going to. Ever. That's a great opportunity for any publisher.

It wasn't at risk of stopping development, it just wasn't being developed to begin with.

If the game was being made anyways why would Ono go on record twice to say he didn't have the resources to do SFV?
Ok, wasn't in development but the fact that Ono said they don't have the budget to develop makes me think the game was considered before they had to ask Capcom for money, thus, the game was at least in preproduction (and preproduction may be no more than a couple of guys setting up the ideas for the game).
As for finnanincing, I doubt any bank to refuse to finnance a sequel to the most succesful fighting franchise in the planet but probably Capcom's finnancial situation didn't allow them to access the credit at the moment Ono proposed it.

- Ono: hey Capcom, we've been thinking on ideas for SFV. What ya think?
- Capcom: cool but we don't have the money right now. Let us make a couple of cheap RE games, then we talk.
- Sony: I heard you guys have something good in mind.
- Profit.

Of course, this is just especulation, I have no proof at all and I may be missing some information. Its just my theory.

Compbros

If it's a lifetime console exclusive then it's not just about when their own products release but the fact that a Street Fighter isn't going to. Ever. That's a great opportunity for any publisher.

But it doesn't come out within the release window of Tekken/MKX so, again, why would they care? They'd probably only care if SF is gonna eat into their sales and releasing months-a year+ after them isn't gonna do that. Anyone that was looking to playing MKX/Tekken 7 will still do so when the games come out regardless of if SFV is coming "eventually" on their system.

Edit:
Ok, wasn't in development but the fact that Ono said they don't have the budget to develop makes me think the game was considered before they had to ask Capcom for money, thus, the game was at least in preproduction (and preproduction may be no more than a couple of guys setting up the ideas for the game).
As for finnanincing, I doubt any bank to refuse to finnance a sequel to the most succesful fighting franchise in the planet but probably Capcom's finnancial situation didn't allow them to access the credit at the moment Ono proposed it.

- Ono: hey Capcom, we've been thinking on ideas for SFV. What ya think?
- Capcom: cool but we don't have the money right now. Let us make a couple of cheap RE games, then we talk.
- Sony: I heard you guys have something good in mind.
- Profit.

Of course, this is just especulation, I have no proof at all and I may be missing some information. Its just my theory.

Thinking that Capcom management didn't even want to make SFIV (the same management that's in place now) and the last two fighting games they put out underperformed (one that had the name "Street Fighter in it) I doubt that's the case.

Even moreso, it wasn't about "not having the money", just "we're not spending money on that right now". They weren't giving him the budget/staff for it because Capcom seems to be looking to take less risks so either he/Capcom went to Sony or Sony approached them about a partnership.

Also, pre-production is pretty much just planning. Even going by your example it means Sony has been there from practically the start unlike with RotTR.

It was only big because it played SFIV better, as it did with most multiplats. FGC doesn't have a preference, they just want the game as stable as possible.

V true. I mean shit, a lot of the top players bought a 360 and only played SF on it, thinking about it. No brand loyalty there just, 'it plays the game better than PS3'. Good point

GorillaJu

X360 was big for SF4 because:

-Live was far superior to PSN at that time in the gem cycle
-It had slightly better performance. PS3 had that 1 frame delay that made the game feel muddy
-X360 had a larger audience in the US so there was a bigger community

Assuming they don't have performance issues on SF5, those differences will be in PS4's favor this time. I don't think the community is loyal to any particular hardware maker. It's not as if MS reps were showing up at tourneys to engage the community.

Crayon

V true. I mean shit, a lot of the top players bought a 360 and only played SF on it, thinking about it. No brand loyalty there just, 'it plays the game better than PS3'. Good point

Also, more dedicated players may buy more that one version (as well as additional console) so that they can play with people in the community otherwise separated by platform.

Cross-platform play is going to be a very good thing.

GorillaJu

When SF4 started being shown, it didn't take that long for the game to come out. If they're showing chatacters fighting, showing systems like guard crush, juggles and target combos, then the game can't be as far away as people are imagining.

Having the game running with a working fight engine, fully developed graphics, models, and effects isn't something you do in the early prototyping phase.

I believe Ono's team has been actively working on SF5 for a while, he just lied to us like he always does.

Skilletor

-It had slightly better performance. PS3 had that 1 frame delay that made the game feel muddy

Assuming they don't have performance issues on SF5, those differences will be in PS4's favor this time. I don't think the community is loyal to any particular hardware maker. It's not as if MS reps were showing up at tourneys to engage the community.

Super true. I have no interest in an XB1, but me and many of my fighting game playing friends would have bought an XB1 for sf5.

Compbros

When SF4 started being shown, it didn't take that long for the game to come out. If they're showing chatacters fighting, showing systems like guard crush, juggles and target combos, then the game can't be as far away as people are imagining.

Having the game running with a working fight engine, fully developed graphics, models, and effects isn't something you do in the early prototyping phase.

I believe Ono's team has been actively working on SF5 for a while, he just lied to us like he always does.

SFxT did the same thing and it took a year and a half I believe. MKX was revealed before E3 and it's not coming out until 10 months later. Late 2015 at best but very likely 2016.

Ono and team have been working on it since late last year from what we can gather, games do take a while to make after all.

mintylurb

It's good that sf5 will have cross play between ps4 and pc players but x1 only users being locked out is abhorrent.
MS should counter this by locking up the next virtua fighter game along with virtual-on.

DunpealD

Wow, that's quite an accusation. Care to show some examples? I know he's been a troll, but I don't think he would lie about hard business stuff, i.e. USFIV port.

Sounds were placeholders and there were only 2 characters and one map shown. I think it's safe to assume that they started earliest when Hadouken cabs were teased. Latest would probably be the moment they hired DIMPS.

I also think that a lot of time goes into creating new characters and balancing. It's also important to note that USF4 shipped unfinished.

It's good that sf5 will have cross play between ps4 and pc players but x1 only users being locked out is abhorrent.
MS should counter this by locking up the next virtua fighter game along with virtual-on.

That's some double standard if this isn't sarcasm.
I doubt anybody would have problem if they fund it. But it's questionable if Sega even has the teams to pull these off.

CLEEK

The 360 versions also looked nicer due to having AA, which was absent in the PS3 versions.

Squire

Banned
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Monster Hunter 4 sits at 4.1 million sold.

Street Fighter IV sits at 3.3 million sold.

Resident Evil 6 sits at 6 million sold.

Note: Monster Hunter 4 has only been released in Japan and those sales don't include 4G which we know has shipped over 2 million units in Japan since its release in October this year, and will be released in the US/PAL Regions sometime early next year.

Now I pose the question that Stone Ocean asked. If Capcom can make their second biggest franchise completely exclusive to Nintendo systems, then what's stopping them from making their 3rd best selling franchise exclusive to PS4/PC?

MonHun can go to any platform it wants to. There's an MMO out there on PC and Vita as well as other platforms, remember? Nintendo hasn't locked down anything and neither company has said or done anything to suggest that's the case.

It's just like RE on the GC. That franchise favors one platform now, but that's all it is. There isn't even a ridiculous statement of commitment like there was with RE4.

fader

didn't sony sponsor a few evo's?

KAL2006

Banned
Just a trip down memory lane
Street Fighter IV announced with Teaser - Oct 07
First Gameplay - Dec 07
Arcade Release - Jul 08
Console Release - Feb 09

SFIV released in arcades 9 months after it got announced

It was released on consoles 1 year and 4 months after it got announced.

If I had to guess, I am betting Street Fighter V will release anywhere between February 2016 and April 2016.

Squishy3

MonHun can go to any platform it wants to. There's an MMO out there on PC and Vita as well as other platforms, remember? Nintendo hasn't locked down anything and neither company has said or done anything to suggest that's the case.

It's just like RE on the GC. That franchise favors one platform now, but that's all it is. There isn't even a ridiculous statement of commitment like there was with RE4.
The mainline entries are going to be on handhelds just because the biggest audience for MH is in Japan and Japan doesn't favor console games. Considering Sony probably isn't going to release another handheld, if nobody else steps in and releases a handheld to compete against Nintendo (And there'd be no guarantee it would release on this hypothetical competitor, either) it's staying on Nintendo handhelds.

It hasn't seen a mainline entry on something that isn't a Nintendo console since Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

DunpealD

didn't sony sponsor a few evo's?

The EVO PS3s came from sony afaik. But the consensus was that the way SFIV ran on PS3 was undesirable.

It got switched to 360 due to MS sponsoring this or last year, I think. To the relief of the competitors.

Squire

Banned
The mainline entries are going to be on handhelds just because the biggest audience for MH is in Japan and Japan doesn't favor console games. Considering Sony probably isn't going to release another handheld, if nobody else steps in and releases a handheld to compete against Nintendo, it's staying on Nintendo handhelds.

It hasn't seen a mainline entry on something that isn't a Nintendo console since Monster Hunter Portable 3rd.

I'm not arguing the logic of the reality. Nintendo is very fortunate in that regard and I'm sure they will continue to be so.

I'm saying no money has changed hands to "lock down" anything. Nothing and no one has suggested that this is the case and your post outlines exactly why. It's a moot comparison.

cackhyena

First Gameplay - Dec 07
Arcade Release - Jul 08
Console Release - Feb 09

If I had to guess, I am betting Street Fighter V will release anywhere between February 2016 and April 2016.
I don't even know if arcades are in the equation this time out. Not sure the same rules apply this go 'round.

Missing the point entirely. A gaming PC and a console barely have a distinction because they both are capable of the same things with the same controllers. Except one does it better than the other. Of course they're damn well in competition

That is true. One platform you have to drag a keyboard and mouse into the living room and install three separate clients just to play the biggest releases year in year out. Not to mention consistently switching between input methods and interfaces to operate those clients.

The other platform has one OS all operational with one input and it takes two button presses on one controller and you're in a unified online store, or you have the option to purchase a physical copy and play as you go.

Besides that, barely an distinction between them.

_hekk05

Banned
That is true. One platform you have to drag a keyboard and mouse into the living room and install three separate clients just to play the biggest releases year in year out. Not to mention consistently switching between input methods and interfaces to operate those clients.

The other platform has one OS all operational with one input and it takes two button presses on one controller and your in a unified online store, or you have the option to purchase a physical copy and play as you go.

Besides that, barely an distinction between them.

Also lack of PS button prompts on most games. Sony why can't you guys get off your asses and release DS4 drivers?

*hugs transistor*

-Cwalat-

Dat boxart though!

tumblr_m85ja8WTBr1rqfhi2o1_400.gif

Of course it can, and that's my point. It can go to any platform it wants to and yet the mainline games are exclusive to 3DS. Those same mainline games that without fail always sell between 2-4 million. If Capcom is willing to keep them exclusive to one platform, one which isn't even doing that hot overseas, then what's so strange about them making their 3rd best selling franchise exclusive to PC and the best selling current gen console.

I'm not suggesting any deals were made, but again, my point is simply that Capcom can put their franchises wherever they feel it makes business sense to. They did that with Monster Hunter, which sells far more than Street Fighter. So they can easily do the same with Street Fighter, especially given their financial position. Hence why I believe Ono when he said yesterday that Capcom approached Sony and not the other way around.

Momentary

Banned
First Gameplay - Dec 07
Arcade Release - Jul 08
Console Release - Feb 09

I recently looked back at the first location tests for the game and damn did it look janky and unfinished. That's why I have hope from seeing this alpha footage. I'm sure once they finish with the mechanics and start focusing on aesthetics, it's going to look great.

cackhyena

Arcade release had less characters than console release. It might depend on what business model it's going to be.

Everything being geared toward DLC these days, I have to believe expansions are planned that route now. SFV : Super and so on. I don't know the sales of SF4 Super, but that's the way it went after that update in disc form. Maybe the money just didn't come in the way they expected.

GorillaJu

First Gameplay - Dec 07
Arcade Release - Jul 08
Console Release - Feb 09

Ah, thanks for the specifics. Early '16 seems likely then. Maybe Japan arcade release in late '15, if Santa loves me?

Wow, that's quite an accusation. Care to show some examples? I know he's been a troll, but I don't think he would lie about hard business stuff, i.e. USFIV port.

Sounds were placeholders and there were only 2 characters and one map shown. I think it's safe to assume that they started earliest when Hadouken cabs were teased. Latest would probably be the moment they hired DIMPS.

I also think that a lot of time goes into creating new characters and balancing. It's also important to note that USF4 shipped unfinished.

That's some double standard if this isn't sarcasm.
I doubt anybody would have problem if they fund it. But it's questionable if Sega even has the teams to pull these off.

People lie in the games industry to protect secrets all the time. Saying he lied isn't like some indictment on his character.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member

They already lock up games as it is. Both do.

ghibli99

Kinda glad it's an exclusive. I think this sort of thing lights fires under the asses of the competition, perhaps bringing the exclusives on competing systems up in terms of quality and desirability. When I think back to most past generations before the PS3/360 era, was 3rd party multiplatform even a big thing? I don't remember it being so prevalent the way it is now. You'd see the same franchises across different systems, but rarely the exact same game.

DunpealD

Everything being geared toward DLC these days, I have to believe expansions are planned that route now. SFV : Super and so on. I don't know the sales of SF4 Super, but that's the way it went after that update in disc form. Maybe the money just didn't come in the way they expected.

SF4 needed Super because the vanilla version wasn't DLC ready, as strange as it sounds. From what I've seen Capcoms offers for expansions have been quite good compared to their competitors, sans SFxT. Arcsys DLC characters cost 7-8 bucks a pop.

People lie in the games industry to protect secrets all the time. Saying he lied isn't like some indictment on his character.

I know that Jaffe lied about Twisted Metal on PS3. Iirc Peter Molyneux is known as a notorious liar.

My question is what did Ono lie about to deserve the reputation as liar. From what I see he only answers stuff he can't answer with a "Maybe ;D" and other vague answers.

Top Bottom