• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

CamHostage

Surprised that, since they were opening up the wallet (or whatever they did to get the exclusive,) Sony didn't try to throw Vita into the deal. SFxT and UMvC were factors for Vita in the early going, although that's been a long time since.

The added effects and lighting are nice, but I do wish the graphical style had broken away a bit more from SF4. I thought maybe they'd age the characters again or do something to make it visually stand out as a sequel. I guess these are the Street Fighter designs now.

VariantX

Nah Capcom is notorious for being Pricks for ID Claims they like to Control what goes on Youtube in regards to their IPs. I believe Total Biscuit Refuses to Do ANY Videos in Regards to Capcom due to how aggressive they are with their ID Claims.
Edit: Or Am I thinking of Sega =/

Yep, that's sega , not capcom. Ive never heard of capcom issuing id claims, especially reguaurding sf until a few days ago. It would be totally counterproductive especially when a few of their games come with the ability to upload footage straight to YouTube

Vice

Then why the hell did they agree for it to be on PC? Genuinely curious. There may be less PC gamers than XB1 ones, but they most definitely exist.
Capcom's desire. They're pushing for the e-sports market. Sony gets to be the premier console at events and marketing will likely focus on the PS4 version.

gngf123

Then why the hell did they agree for it to be on PC? Genuinely curious. There may be less PC gamers than XB1 ones, but they most definitely exist.
Just to give you some perspective, there are individual PC games that reach nearly 30m unique players per day.

PS4 and Xbox 1 sales combined are currently significantly less than that.

autoduelist

The only thing that annoys me is the term "console exclusive".

I mean, I understand it and all. But I've got another term for things that come out on multiple platforms, "not exclusive". It's just marketing and it is silly.

That aside, I generally like what is going on here and am really looking forward to cross play from my PC.

Except your term, 'not exclusive', means something very different from 'console exclusive' and they are not interchangeable in both directions. So... no. 'Console exclusive' is a better term, regardless of your like/dislike for it, because it actually conveys useful information.

The acceptance that this is not coming to Xbone will be the same as how it was with Bloodborne.

Initially there will be a few people who think this will end up on Xbox before everyone realises Sony is helping with development and that there's no chance of it ever happening.

Is Capcom really hurting that bad these days that they can't finance the production themselves so the title can be multi plat.

SF is their last big money maker these days and I don't see them locking it to one console unless Capcom couldn't do it by themselves. FFS Street Fighter has been multi platform for over twenty years.

Is Capcom really hurting that bad these days that they can't finance the production themselves so the title can be multi plat.

SF is their last big money maker these days and I don't see them locking it to one console unless Capcom couldn't do it by themselves. FFS Street Fighter has been multi platform for over twenty years.

I don't know where this keeps coming from. Monster Hunter while Japan centric, sells a lot more than your average Street Fighter release. As does Resident Evil, Capcom's biggest franchise at present.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I don't really see why any gamers should celebrate this kind of news, you're basically celebrating that fellow gamers have to miss out on a seminal game.

I think this is a massive shame, no one wins except Sony I guess.

David___

Banned
I don't really see why any gamers should celebrate this kind of news, you're basically celebrating that fellow gamers have to miss out on a seminal game.

Ironically PC gamers benefit by having cross play because of this deal.

Dang it Gaf who is BRUCELEEROY? IS HE AN INSIDER OR DOES HE WORK FOR CAPCOM OR SONY?!
One of the better insiders afaik

If Capcom can lock their best selling franchise - Monhun - to a single manufacturer why is it so weird that they do the same to their uhh 3rd best selling IP.

dEvAnGeL

is simple, want to play it? Buy a ps4 or play it on pc, a mess up deal was what MS did with tomb raider locking that game only to their console

Compbros

He is correct, though. Most of the fighting game community are always on Playstation consoles.

The fighting game community just chooses the console that runs their respective games the best. Currently the only games running on PS3 are anime (BlazBlue, Persona, etc) and 3D (Tekken. Soul Calibur, etc), everything else, including Capcom, runs on 360.

For current gen it'll be PS again since that's what runs multiplats better.

Awesome.

I mean, insiders have been so on point lately!

8224.jpg

He still hasn't cut his head off. I knew the dude was all hype and no follow through.

I don't know where this keeps coming from. Monster Hunter while Japan centric, sells a lot more than your average Street Fighter release. As does Resident Evil, Capcom's biggest franchise at present.

If Capcom can lock their best selling franchise - Monhun - to a single manufacturer why is it so weird that they do the same to their uhh 3rd best selling IP.

dBq6LJR.gif

Maybe not the subsequent versions of SF4 that came afterwards but I would bet that base SF4 sold more overall worldwide than the last version of Monster Hunter or RE6.

dBq6LJR.gif

Maybe not the subsequent versions of SF4 that came afterwards but I would bet that base SF4 sold more overall worldwide than the last version of Monster Hunter or RE6.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Monster Hunter 4 sits at 4.1 million sold.

Street Fighter IV sits at 3.3 million sold.

Resident Evil 6 sits at 6 million sold.

Note: Monster Hunter 4 has only been released in Japan and those sales don't include 4G which we know has shipped over 2 million units in Japan since its release in October this year, and will be released in the US/PAL Regions sometime early next year.

Now I pose the question that Stone Ocean asked. If Capcom can make their second biggest franchise completely exclusive to Nintendo systems, then what's stopping them from making their 3rd best selling franchise exclusive to PS4/PC?

Bodom78

I hope cross play works well and sets the foundation for it to become a common thing in the future for games that are suitable.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Monster Hunter 4 sits at 4.1 million sold.

Street Fighter IV sits at 3.3 million sold.

Resident Evil 6 sits at 6 million sold.

Note: Monster Hunter 4 has only been released in Japan and those sales don't include 4G which we know has shipped over 2 million units in Japan since its release in October this year, and will be released in the US/PAL Regions sometime early next year.

Now I pose the question that Stone Ocean asked. If Capcom can make their second biggest completely exclusive to Nintendo systems, then what's stopping them from making their 3rd best selling franchise exclusive to PS4/PC?
To add to this, Vanilla is the only version of SF4 that sold over 2 million copies as far as reports go.

I doubt the game was at any moment at the risk of stop develoment unlike Titanfall, probably Capcom designed a small team for preproduction. During that time Sony approach them and proposed to speed up production by finnancing the project and securing the exclusivity. So, the game entered in full production before time thanks to Sony.
So, the intervention was unnecesary, like Tomb Raider but helps to make the finnancing softer for the IP owner, like Tomb Raider. While the time of the intervention is in prepeoduction, like Titanfall. Of ourse, this is my speculation, it is up to you to decide if the intervention in the development process is good or bad for the industry. I stick to the idea, that intervention in a game development process is always good good because publisher, developer and platform holder benefits while a portion of the consumers are perjudicated. But the deal shall not prevent the IP owner to take the game to other platforms because that needesly harms the consumer.
At for the case in particular, I think crossplatform play is a consequwnce of the exclusivity rather than a cause and that the exclusivity doesn't include the Super and following versions.

I think that's a mistake... lately pc's seem to had the best of both worlds. If things continue like this who needs to buy consoles...

The smartphone couldn't kill the consoles, but the pc will? Lawl. 99% of the console population (everyone outside gaf), don't give a crap what game comes to pc.

I doubt the game was at any moment at the risk of stop develoment unlike Titanfall, probably Capcom designed a small team for preproduction. During that time Sony approach them and proposed to speed up production by finnancing the project and securing the exclusivity. So, the game entered in full production before time thanks to Sony.
So, the intervention was unnecesary, like Tomb Raider but helps to make the finnancing softer for the IP owner, like Tomb Raider. While the time of the intervention is in prepeoduction, like Titanfall. Of ourse, this is my speculation, it is up to you to decide if the intervention in the development process is good or bad for the industry. I stick to the idea, that intervention in a game development process is always good good because publisher, developer and platform holder benefits while a portion of the consumers are perjudicated. But the deal shall not prevent the IP owner to take the game to other platforms because that needesly harms the consumer.
At for the case in particular, I think crossplatform play is a consequwnce of the exclusivity rather than a cause and that the exclusivity doesn't include the Super and following versions.
It wasn't at risk of stopping development, it just wasn't being developed to begin with.

If the game was being made anyways why would Ono go on record twice to say he didn't have the resources to do SFV?

gngf123

hmm, are we now living in a world where its possible pc could be the main platform at a fighter competition?
Most tournaments will run consoles still. Much easier to organise and transport.

For home use, anything goes. Even for competitive players, since their sticks will work on PC I believe. A number of big players actually prefer PC to begin with anyway.

GorillaJu

There is a lot of misunderstanding in this thread. SF5 is a Capcom game, not a SCEJ game. It's third party. Capcom is a publisher with their own internal and external development, they might develop it in house or give it to Dimps like they did with IV.

Sony Japan might be offering support for the game (testing, planning, and maybe some tech assistance) but this isn't like Bloodborne, which is a SCEJ game being developed externally. And it's certainly not "Capcom giving Sony the license to make SF5" as some people seem to think.

It wasn't at risk of stopping development, it just wasn't being developed to begin with.

If the game was being made anyways why would Ono go on record twice to say he didn't have the resources to do SFV?

Because Ono loves to play around with his fans.

Cynn

How happy are Namco and NetherRealm right now? Capcom just removed their main competition from a ten million+ platform.

Namco paid Capcom to go exclusive. You read it here first.

KI was never a threat to Capcom's fighting games. In fact KI is more akin to something like Skullgirls very small community though dedicated.

Tekken was also a small community in 1996, in 1998 it took over market share dominance from Street Fighter. Tekken was the new kid on the block. It can be debated right now that Tekken is larger overall in size when compared to SF.

StevieP

Banned
it's a good thing when you buy a games console that focuses on guess what...
the games

the extra stuff is icing on the cake.

Missing the point entirely. A gaming PC and a console barely have a distinction because they both are capable of the same things with the same controllers. Except one does it better than the other. Of course they're damn well in competition

Pungza

I don't reckon there will be super/ultra editions. Instead they'll release patches/updates to bring players back (similar to league/dota). They've managed to bring the online community together across two platforms, they don't want to then fragment it with different versions of the game.

Compbros

Do you have any proof of this at all? All we have is Ono not getting a budget/resources for SFV and then announcing they were looking for people for a new fighting game around the time Sony did those "hadoken cabs". SFV wasn't in risk of being stopped because, from what we know, it never even STARTED.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Tekken was also a small community in 1996, in 1998 it took over market share dominance from Street Fighter. Tekken was the new kid on the block. It can be debated right now that Tekken is larger overall in size.

not in mindshare. all the big tournaments have SF as the main event. Tekken is still on the undercard

Top Bottom