• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Street Fighter V is a PS4 console exclusive" (PlayStation Blog)

StevieP

Banned
That is true. One platform you have to drag a keyboard and mouse into the living room and install three separate clients just to play the biggest releases year in year out. Not to mention consistently switching between input methods and interfaces to operate those clients.

The other platform has one OS all operational with one input and it takes two button presses on one controller and you're in a unified online store, or you have the option to purchase a physical copy and play as you go.

Besides that, barely an distinction between them.

Spoken like someone who truly has used steam with a controller and learned how to launch alternate executables with it.

This is such a niche game. I am sure Sony paid them good if they aren't bringing to ps3,x360 or xbo. Capcom seems like this is how they like doing business. Must need the money up front.

SF franchise must not be as popular as Tomb Raider. No one really attacking Sony or capcom. But I guess no one cared about dead rising 3 online either.

Maybe it says something about capcom.

cackhyena

This is such a niche game. I am sure Sony paid them good if they aren't bringing to ps3,x360 or xbo. Capcom seems like this is how they like doing business. Must need the money up front.

SF franchise must not be as popular as Tomb Raider. No one really attacking Sony or capcom. But I guess no one cared about dead rising 3 online either.

Good.

2969084409.png

SF4 needed Super because the vanilla version wasn't DLC ready, as strange as it sounds.
Interesting. I'm pretty sure there was a PS360 title at least that contained a patch that only applied if you bought DLC, at least at the launch time of that DLC, and everybody speculated they did this to sidestep patch policies, as the base game wasn't DLC ready. Probably we got that one wrong, then?

Spoken like someone who truly has used steam with a controller and learned how to launch alternate executables with it.

Oh, you can download, install and add Uplay and Origin as an alternate program all by using a controller through Steam? Can you teach me?

GorillaJu

SF4 needed Super because the vanilla version wasn't DLC ready, as strange as it sounds. From what I've seen Capcoms offers for expansions have been quite good compared to their competitors, sans SFxT. Arcsys DLC characters cost 7-8 bucks a pop.

I know that Jaffe lied about Twisted Metal on PS3. Iirc Peter Molyneux is known as a notorious liar.

My question is what did Ono lie about to deserve the reputation as liar. From what I see he only answers stuff he can't answer with a "Maybe ;D" and other vague answers.

Looking at his quotes, he said he would like SF to be able to continue with numbered sequels but that the costs are prohibitively expensive. So you are correct in that he didn't explicitly say "No SF5".

I don't really see why any gamers should celebrate this kind of news, you're basically celebrating that fellow gamers have to miss out on a seminal game.
Maybe they're celebrating the fact that now the game will likely come out sooner. Maybe they're celebrating the fact that it can be produced for less money, increasing the chances of a sequel. Maybe they're celebrating the fact that game will likely have fewer bugs. Maybe they're celebrating the fact that now it can be made without compromises to support weaker hardware. Maybe they're celebrating the fact that now Capcom can better leverage platform-specific advantages like GPGPU facilitation. Maybe they're celebrating the fact that Microsoft aren't involved so now they can have cross-platform play on the platforms they did buy in to.

DunpealD

Interesting. I'm pretty sure there was a PS360 title at least that contained a patch that only applied if you bought DLC, at least at the launch time of that DLC, and everybody speculated they did this to sidestep patch policies, as the base game wasn't DLC ready. Probably we got that one wrong, then?

From what I recall the base game itself wasn't coded to have extensive changes. Vanilla did get some patches and additional things like championship mode.

But as I said extensive changes to the core gameplay(2 ultras) were probably off limits. Super rectified that and since then there have been 2 paid updates(AE and Ultra which is still unfinished) for each 15 bucks. Iirc AE didn't really do SFIV any favors in arcade.

Also OddMorsel if you don't play EXVS you ain't doing game centers right :p.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
its still breaking my brain why A) the game is on PC B) sony is talking about it openly instead of it being in the small print C) it having cross play with PS4

all of these especially if Sony did do some co-development. Dont get me wrong, I love it and will buy on PC day 1, but it just doesnt make sense!

Next up first party games on PC, do it Sony >_>

Since capcom are whoring out all their franchises to the highest bidder it wouldnt suprise me for microsoft to counterpunch with resident evil exclusitivity.

Expect this to go back and forth for years to come.

I own both consoles so there is no problems for me , but expect gamers to miss out one way or the other.

Rozart

I'd say it's less about the popularity of either franchises (how is Street Fighter of all things a niche game?) and more about having the details of said exclusivity laid out cleary. For both DR3 and SF5, we're told from the get go that these games were co-funded/developed by Microsoft and Sony respectively. They also straight-up announced that the games were locked down as console exclusives for the XB1/PS4. No need for any wishy-washy beating around the bush.

TR on the other end was bogged down by such a multitude of muddled up he-said-she-saids. Both MS and CD took such a long while to answer some straight forward questions (the most predominant one being: is it a timed or full exclusive?). To add to that, they've announced the TR sequel before the exclusivity reveal and prior to that E3, there wasn't ever a hint that there was an ongoing MS/CD partnership going on. If they were upfront about it from the start (ala DR3), I doubt it would have snowballed into that big of a controversy.

Momentary

Banned
its still breaking my brain why A) the game is on PC B) sony is talking about it openly instead of it being in the small print C) it having cross play with PS4

all of these especially if Sony did do some co-development. Dont get me wrong, I love it and will buy on PC day 1, but it just doesnt make sense!

It could happen. It's not like Sony doesn't make PC games already.

CLEEK

Sony always seems to be cool with PC versions. They've only ever gone after console exclusivity. I guess that don't view PC as a direct competitor.

MS is the one that wants outright Xbox exclusivity. Timed or otherwise.

Do you honestly think Capcom really cares that much about cross-platform play that they'll just ignore the Xbone? Really?

I do .

i've heard what they asked for FF14 ( it was ridiculous enough that the producer said " no freaking way " )
So i can understand that another company say " no way " too , if the stance of microsoft on cross play hasn't changed.
Especially if they want one big community of players

Just my 2 cents.

Good god...that has to be 1 of the sexiest box art covers I've seen in a while.

It rivals even the original Metal Gear Solid cover.

It seems like SCE has only ever seen PC gaming as tangentially related to console gaming at best. They've certainly never acted like they perceive it as a direct threat. It would probably be more accurate to say they don't perceive it as existing at all.

Specifically regarding cross-platform play, again, Sony don't see PC as a threat to their business, and their willingness to allow it was part of what caused Ono to decide it was time to rid himself of Microsoft and their parity clauses. So it's not too surprising Sony would be happy to trumpet the feature, since their willingness to allow it is part of what makes them the more desirable partner.

If Microsoft can fund Dead Rising 3 and keep that as a console exclusive, then I can't see why Sony can't for SFV.

Seems odd though, it might not have the world's biggest sales, but SF is an incredibly high profile game. I wonder when the last exclusive SF game was, I can't think of any.

border

Sony always seems to be cool with PC versions. They've only ever gone after console exclusivity. I guess that don't view PC as a direct competitor.

Strangely enough they would not allow Harmonix to make a PC version of Amplitude.

border

Seems odd though, it might not have the world's biggest sales, but SF is an incredibly high profile game. I wonder when the last exclusive SF game was, I can't think of any.

Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition -- only on PCEngine/TurboGrafx. Other consoles got versions of the Turbo Editions.

The original SF2 was only on SNES, I believe. Genesis got later versions.

EatMyFace

Banned
Pretty sure we were complaining about the lack of unique content on PS4 just a few days ago. GAF's never happy.
SonyGaf is mostly happy.
You can never please 100% of people. That's just impossible since some people have unrealistic expectations. Some don't even know what they want, they're just waiting for some "megaton" that may never come.

Handy Fake

Strangely enough they would not allow Harmonix to make a PC version of Amplitude.

“So we’d love to bring Amplitude to a platform like PC, and in fact it’s something we considered. But at the end of the day, this is Sony’s IP and taking it to non-PlayStation platforms is just not in the cards right now. Going into this, we knew how the lack of a PC/Mac/Linux version might have an impact [on our Kickstarter]; we’re not blind to that fact, as I’ve seen some suggest. But we believe in the title, and think that the PlayStation consoles are a great fit for the game.”

“Without going into detail, it does extend beyond just them owning the name or IP. There are other moving parts that wouldn’t necessarily give us a clear path to doing a spiritual successor on other platforms without the Amplitude name.”

Street Fighter 2 Championship Edition -- only on PCEngine/TurboGrafx. Other consoles got versions of the Turbo Editions.

Thanks, a while ago then.

20th Anniversaries all round! lol.

DunpealD

Is EX VS the Gundam game that everyone plays? I always see loads of people playing it but never tried it myself.

Yes. It's not only good because it's gundam, but it's got the gameplay too. EXVS is legit all the way. Currently it's on its third iteration called Maxiboost which is still being updated with new units and balance changes.
Fun fact: The console version of the second iteration called Full Boost got released before Maxiboost, hence most of the cabs were empty until Maxiboost arrived at the arcades.

Also concerning Ono. I think some of you guys are far too hard on him.
While he's being seen as a troll, he's also been hard at work for the FG division of Capcom. He, Seth and Svensson were probably the ones who pushed hard for 3S, Darkstalkers ports, SFxT patch, AE2012 patch and Ultra. Not to forget he worked himself sick for SFxT.

Regarding his comments, I wouldn't take them lightly. He shows too much passion for Capcoms Fighting Game legacy, for trolling like that. If anything I'd say Ono was running on a tight leash and hoping for somebody to help out with USF4 PS4 port and SFV, since Capcoms higher ups didn't budge. Thus the statements.

Also not to forget. Capcom is known for weird decisions like Lost Planet 3, cancellation of Mega Man Legends 3 and the following development of EX Troopers.

If memory serves, Genesis actually got a Champion Edition port that included a Hyper Fighting mode. But I'd be lying through my teeth if I pretended that I knew from memory every subtle nuance of each release.

KampferZeon

Neo Member
Sony supports crossplay, not PC.
why so difficult to understand.

“So we’d love to bring Amplitude to a platform like PC, and in fact it’s something we considered. But at the end of the day, this is Sony’s IP and taking it to non-PlayStation platforms is just not in the cards right now. Going into this, we knew how the lack of a PC/Mac/Linux version might have an impact [on our Kickstarter]; we’re not blind to that fact, as I’ve seen some suggest. But we believe in the title, and think that the PlayStation consoles are a great fit for the game.”

“Without going into detail, it does extend beyond just them owning the name or IP. There are other moving parts that wouldn’t necessarily give us a clear path to doing a spiritual successor on other platforms without the Amplitude name.”

border

If memory serves, Genesis actually got a Champion Edition port that included a Hyper Fighting mode. But I'd be lying through my teeth if I pretended that I knew from memory every subtle nuance of each release.

My mentality is that if you add a Turbo mode onto Championship Edition, then you're effectively selling the Turbo Championship Edition. So the Genesis version is basically SF2 Turbo. Technically it was billed as "Special Championship Edition".

SNES SFII Turbo and Genesis Special Champion Edition were essentially the same, both offered Championship mode and Turbo mode.

border

The X68000 is a home computer as far I'm concerned :p Japan-only, games came on multiple floppy discs.

There's a Master System version of SF2: CE that was released in Brazil as well. Though once you're using 8-bit graphics and a 2-button controller it's barely the same game anymore.

The X68000 is a home computer as far I'm concerned :p Japan-only, games came on multiple floppy discs.

There's a Master System version of SF2: CE that was released in Brazil as well. Though once you're using 8-bit graphics and a 2-button controller it's barely the same game anymore.

I think the Master System version used a 6 button controller.

BokehKing

Banned
If Microsoft can fund Dead Rising 3 and keep that as a console exclusive, then I can't see why Sony can't for SFV.

because wtf is dead rising?

Street Fighter is Street Fighter
but i'm not mad becaus I own a ps4, now if this ended up as X1 exclusive when the fighting fanbase was primarily on PS3 last gen, then yeah I would be pissed

yurinka

SFIV iterations combined sold 9+ Million copies plus DLC, plus mobile versions, plus merchandising. http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/million.html

Street Fighter series sold 36M combined (not counting mobile games, movies, merchandising, DLC etc) http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/business/salesdata.html

Last Tomb Raider was the best selling chapter in the franchise and it sold like 5M.

Who's the nice game here?

Crayon

Got the cartridge around here somewhere. It's "special champions edition" and yes it's essentially turbo/hyperfighting.

Top Bottom