• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Street Fighter V |OT40002| it's been a Guile, but Urien for a wait

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotia

Banned
My guesses for the Wave 2 characters are...
  • Crimson Viper
  • Sean Matsuda
  • Oro
  • Abel
  • Sakura
  • Akuma
With the exception of Akuma, every single character in this list has been included in the stories of existing characters. And in the case of Oro, Capcom even went as far as to get his Japanese Third Strike voice actor back. Though of this list, I'm more confident about Crimson Viper, Sean Matsuda, & Oro. And concerning Akuma, if Capcom is willing to wait a bit longer to include him, they could swap him out for a newcomer.

This is my list except swap Abel out for Sagat and maybe add one new character.

Scotia

Banned
Edited my post accordingly. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'd like Abel in eventually, but I think he needs to develop a bit more as a character first. He's still a bit wooden and doesn't have much reason to be anything more than a cameo right now.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you should change your post btw, I was just saying that mine was similar except for one or two changes

Neoxon

I'd like Abel in eventually, but I think he needs to develop a bit more as a character first. He's still a bit wooden and doesn't have much reason to be anything more than a cameo right now.

Also, I wasn't suggesting you should change your post btw, I was just saying that mine was similar except for one or two changes
I mostly added the idea you brought up to my post, I didn't change the list.

Xeteh

They usually go up on their Youtube pretty quickly after the event.

I enjoy it more when I don't know who ends up winning and I'm sure I'll be unable to avoid finding that out before VODs would go up. Oh well, I'll watch Cobelcog's matches later I suppose, heard he did well in the team tournament.

Game is fucking broken for me, last didn't want to launch, Virus protector was blocking it after all these F N months, it works now, go into training mode runs smooth mess around turn on match making my FPS go from 60 to 15-20, turn off MM goes back to normal, game is allowed in my Firewall, i turned my firewall still getting the FPS drop, i Verified the cache, i reinstalled my graphic drivers shit still broken, i give up, close to hitting uninstall...

Edit: my other games work fine i am playing GW2 as i typed this..

qcf x2

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204274251]Dude, Eagle's moveset sucks. And Sean is boring, too. If you're gonna make DLC characters, they should be exiting and diversify the cast.

Q was my co-main in 3s, but since they might give Balrog a command grab(he has one in omega mode) I dunno if he deserves a slot.

If I had to build a season 2 list and I were Capcom, I'd probably consider cast diversity, popularity and brand-building. Probably something like this:

Akuma
C.Viper
Dudley
Decapre
New character
New character[/QUOTE]

I agree with this for the most part, at least business wise. As a Sean fan, it's hard to sell him as DLC unless it's much later OR they change him up. The latter is actually quite possible, as he was a powerhouse in New Generation. If they make his choke attack a bigger part of his game and keep the jumpman uppercut from NG along with his roll and whatever his flip kick is called (qcf) then yeah he would be dope. Nobody really has any of that so far in SFV. But if they just drop 3rd strike/joke tier Sean in there then you're kind of not doing yourself a favor from a marketing perspective.

I think Q can fit, he plays more like a slow/strong Alex, boot included
(what if he's really Tom)
. But again, redesign potential. You make him more gadget/explosive based and try to minimize the overlap in moveset/utility with Balrog/Alex.

Akuma/Sakura/Viper make a ton of sense. Decapre was the only character besides Viper that I liked in SF4 but I just hate the idea of another model swap in this game. I like the moveset but I don't want to see season 2 be attack of the clones. I think Dudley can wait too.

My list would be: Sakura/Akuma(resdesign)/Viper/Geki/Necro(Ilya)/Sagat(resdesign)/Oro/Fei Long

leroidys

It can be a new character called Son of Sodom

I would buy the shit out of Sodom. Then again I just got the season pass this time.

I mainly just want the SF3 cast to return, which I know is not going to happen. I hope we at least get Q though. I'd love to see Makoto return, but I don't feel like she fits V that well.

Anybody got a comprehensive list of what the frame advantage/disadvantage is when a character V Trigger cancels one of his/her moves? Someone posted one about Ryu a month or two ago in the Ryu SRK forum that said his st. LP > V trigger was +3 on hit. So I pretty much just accepted that as a fact without ever actually trying it myself. But then I watched a match from Tokido at Stunfest and he did st. LP, V Trigger, cr. MP, tatsu. That would only be possible if st. LP > V Trigger was at least +5 and clearly it is since that combo worked.

So does anybody know a site that has a list for everybody?

New tier list. Pretty sure it's perfect and thus inarguable.

riseupcss5h.png

Anybody got a comprehensive list of what the frame advantage/disadvantage is when a character V Trigger cancels one of his/her moves? Someone posted one about Ryu a month or two ago in the Ryu SRK forum that said his st. LP > V trigger was +3 on hit. So I pretty much just accepted that as a fact without ever actually trying it myself. But then I watched a match from Tokido at Stunfest and he did st. LP, V Trigger, cr. MP, tatsu. That would only be possible if st. LP > V Trigger was at least +5 and clearly it is since that combo worked.

So does anybody know a site that has a list for everybody?

Well I know for a fact that sLP xx V trigger is +4 unless I'm a crazy person. I've tried a few times to go jab into a medium and it didn't work, but sLK does. Maybe the Tokido combo was a counter hit?

leroidys

I agree with this for the most part, at least business wise. As a Sean fan, it's hard to sell him as DLC unless it's much later OR they change him up. The latter is actually quite possible, as he was a powerhouse in New Generation. If they make his choke attack a bigger part of his game and keep the jumpman uppercut from NG along with his roll and whatever his flip kick is called (qcf) then yeah he would be dope. Nobody really has any of that so far in SFV. But if they just drop 3rd strike/joke tier Sean in there then you're kind of not doing yourself a favor from a marketing perspective.

I think Q can fit, he plays more like a slow/strong Alex, boot included
(what if he's really Tom)
. But again, redesign potential. You make him more gadget/explosive based and try to minimize the overlap in moveset/utility with Balrog/Alex.

Akuma/Sakura/Viper make a ton of sense. Decapre was the only character besides Viper that I liked in SF4 but I just hate the idea of another model swap in this game. I like the moveset but I don't want to see season 2 be attack of the clones. I think Dudley can wait too.

My list would be: Sakura/Akuma(resdesign)/Viper/Geki/Necro(Ilya)/Sagat(resdesign)/Oro/Fei Long

I hope Viper makes it in. Would be weird to see her without Hugo though.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204282075]

Well I know for a fact that sLP xx V trigger is +4 unless I'm a crazy person. I've tried a few times to go jab into a medium and it didn't work, but sLK does. Maybe the Tokido combo was a counter hit?[/QUOTE]

I went back to watch it. You're right, it was a counter hit st. jab. But still, +4 is still better than the +3 that I saw it listed as from before. It actually makes a world of difference since that means you can link into st. LK which is special cancelable and has great range. So not as great as Necalli's st. jab V trigger, but at least Ryu has options.

Well the range on LK isn't all that helpful since sLP's range is so short, and in general I'm not a fan of the haitani style jab-trigger setups. I think it's still early enough in the game that you can get away with wakeup jab, but once people have the frame data down those options are going to go away.

Ryu doesn't get anything special off it either. I guess you could do a throw reset but that's a huge waste of meter. There's a lot of stuff I've been working on for ryu with v-trigger, though. Mostly confirming sweep.

I'm not good at this game, but that seems too high for Cammy to me.

She has some of the best normals in the game, one of the rare meterless reversals and the ability to change her jump arc. She's very good.

Hard to believe you don't want clones when your list has Sakura and Sagat. That's the complete opposite of diversifying the cast.

Ryce

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204283203]Hard to believe you don't want clones when your list has Sakura and Sagat. That's the complete opposite of diversifying the cast.[/QUOTE]
Your list has Akuma and Decapre. Sakura and Sagat are just as unique as those two.

She has a dive kick.
Your list has Akuma and Decapre. Sakura and Sagat are just as unique as those two.

...have you seen Decapre's moveset? She has the most unique moveset of all the SF4 additions outside of Hakan's oil charge. And Akuma is the most popular SF character not in the game. On top of that, he's the most unusual of all the shotoclones because of his air fireball dramatically changing the fight dynamic. Sakura and Sagat just have the basic fireball, uppercut and forward momentum kick move. Well, Sakura has the hop that nobody uses.

leroidys

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204283203]

She has some of the best normals in the game, one of the rare meterless reversals and the ability to change her jump arc. She's very good.

[/QUOTE]

That makes sense. She has such low stamina and stun though, combined with her low damage output, and I always have trouble closing out matches even when I feel like I've handily outplayed the opponent. I also haven't seen anyone do very well with her at tourneys since very early days. I'd love to get a better handle on here though, it's encouraging to see her ranked that high.

Durden77

In case it hasn't been shouted yet, the V Frames app is really, really awesome. Pretty much everybody in here should download it.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204283203]Well the range on LK isn't all that helpful since sLP's range is so short, and in general I'm not a fan of the haitani style jab-trigger setups. I think it's still early enough in the game that you can get away with wakeup jab, but once people have the frame data down those options are going to go away.

Ryu doesn't get anything special off it either. I guess you could do a throw reset but that's a huge waste of meter. There's a lot of stuff I've been working on for ryu with v-trigger, though. Mostly confirming sweep.

[/QUOTE]

Well the idea is to catch your opponent messing up their meaty normal when they try to get right in your grill so st. LK should always connect if st. LP does. It's not something you should do all the time, but I think it's fine sometimes. People will screw up sometimes and other times they might trying to bait DP or try to shimmy.

Depending on the situation I think it's worth taking that risk sometimes(kind of like committing to a wake up DP). I wouldn't waste it when I'm at a huge life deficit. But if it's close and we both have less than half life then doing st. LP, V Trigger, st. LK, DP for 166 damage isn't a bad idea. It's actually pretty good if you also have Super which pushes the damage to 376.

The nice thing is that the groupings are close. FANG and Bison, for example, have to work harder, but they are at least still viable. So far it's not like 3S, where if you don't pick Chun or Yun, you've already lost.

Mediking

CapcomFighter's vods being locked behind a sub is insane to me. So much for watching Stunfest matches.

There's YouTube channels that post videos of whatever Capcom Fighter streams like Capcom Pro Talk. Team Spooky posts alotta SFV stuff too.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204282075]New tier list. Pretty sure it's perfect and thus inarguable.

riseupcss5h.png

[/QUOTE]
Yeah no. Cammy is very easy to zone out with probably the worst CC in the game. While Birdie has tons of tools and blew up Julio just now in Toryuken

qcf x2

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204283203]

Hard to believe you don't want clones when your list has Sakura and Sagat. That's the complete opposite of diversifying the cast.[/QUOTE]

I specifically said it was a model swap deal, and that I like how Decapre plays. I also specifically put (redesign) next to Sagat. You put him in there because he's popular and essential to the lore of Street Fighter, but change the way he plays (same with Akuma imo, I will be very disappointed if he's the same old double fireball/vortex based Akuma).

Producer

its funny when people use some mid tier players' performance to judge how viable a character is. A Birdie blew up Julio? Birdie is mad good. Brolylegs dropped Chun? Guess she ain't that good after all

Well the idea is to catch your opponent messing up their meaty normal when they try to get right in your grill so st. LK should always connect if st. LP does. It's not something you should do all the time, but I think it's fine sometimes. People will screw up sometimes and other times they might trying to bait DP or try to shimmy.

I mean, why not just jab jab DP at that point?

Yeah no. Cammy is very easy to zone out with probably the worst CC in the game. While Birdie has tons of tools and blew up Julio just now in Toryuken

"dive kick character with dominant normals and a command jump easy to zone out"
"crush counter probably worse than dhalsim and fang"
"fundamentals character beat a dude who is famous for rolling his face on the stick to win a tournament in a dp mashing contest, clearly you put birdie too low"
"wait, cammy made several top 16 slots at that same tournament already, a top 8 in winners at a harder tournament on the same day, and won canada cup vancouver last week? yeah no way she's in the top half of the cast where you put her"

mbpm1

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204290940]
"fundamentals character beat a dude who is famous for rolling his face on the stick to win a tournament in a dp mashing contest, clearly you put birdie too low"
"wait, cammy made several top 16 slots at that same tournament already, a top 8 in winners at a harder tournament on the same day, and won canada cup vancouver last week? yeah no way she's in the top half of the cast where you put her"[/QUOTE]it's zombegoast

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204290940]I mean, why not just jab jab DP at that point?

[/QUOTE]

More time to confirm I suppose. I panic jab a lot after getting up from a knockdown. I've never converted even though I tell myself to look for it. Even the best players screw it up. I see guys like Tokido and Daigo do it plenty of times, but they've also failed to confirm it quite a bit.

Like I said, it depends on the situation. When the pressure is on, maybe you want to give yourself as much time as possible to see what happened and go accordingly from there. Tokido did it against a Vega player for the kill. This was after having like a 80% life lead dwindle down to 30% and failing to land that exact same wake up st. jab combo without V Trigger in the previous knockdown.

My guesses for the Wave 2 characters are...
  • Crimson Viper
  • Sean Matsuda
  • Oro
  • Abel
  • Sakura
  • Akuma/Gouki
This list has no newcomers, the current wave is all returning cast, the next wave is going to have new characters like ed/azam.
Though I don't see just 6 characters next season so your list might still work
if you replace sean with decapre

More time to confirm I suppose. I panic jab a lot after getting up from a knockdown. I've never converted even though I tell myself to look for it. Even the best players screw it up. I see guys like Tokido and Daigo do it plenty of times, but they've also failed to confirm it quite a bit.

Like I said, it depends on the situation. When the pressure is on, maybe you want to give yourself as much time as possible to see what happened and go accordingly from there. Tokido did it against a Vega player for the kill. This was after having like a 80% life lead dwindle down to 30% and failing to land that exact same wake up st. jab combo without V Trigger in the previous knockdown.

yeah, I spend a lot of time practicing confirms with the cpu on random block because of this. I used to call jab jab fp DP the liability combo but I haven't messed it up lately. you just have to really ingrain the muscle memory of when to do this stuff. Kinda like jab strong punishes on stuff that gets counterhit like interrupting karin's cMK xx dash shoulder. if you react a lot of the time it's too slow.

that's why I said one of my focuses right now is on hitconfirming sweep when I have v-trigger. sweep is a massive footsie tool, so not wasting v-trigger on a non-counterhit hit is a big deal that can change matchups. one that I recently added to my game was hitconfirming MP so I could choose whether to do cMP/throw or cFP on reaction.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";204290940]

"wait, cammy made several top 16 slots at that same tournament already, a top 8 in winners at a harder tournament on the same day, and won canada cup vancouver last week? yeah no way she's in the top half of the cast where you put her"[/QUOTE]

Her divekick is terrible and a decent AA can beat it. Her V-Trigger is only good for two uses . The only thing she has going on is her normal but even then it's outclassed by Karin, Chun L and R.Mika, Invincible DP and a fullscreen CA.

But hey maybe I'm playing a character like Nash that makes her low on my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom