• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

A Town Where You Live - Watched episode 8. And we have another time jump. Jumping 18 months ish from the end of episode 7. I know some folks have been complaining about the time jumps in the show, but I'm not having issue with it in terms of following the show (I haven't really read the manga). I guess given how long the manga is, and the fact they probably started knowing they'd never get to tell the whole story, that they have been dipping into certain major parts before getting into the meat of what they want to tell in the anime. Though given we're only 4 episode left I guess it will end with the expected hookup.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Extras listed are: Mei & Marshmallow 1-6, Clean Opening Animation, Clean Closing Animation.

So no. :(

Although I guess the OVA just came out recently. But at least those weird CG cartoons are there. lol

Nothing! But I like my media compartmentalized.
Well, it's not like there is anywhere else you can go. Jdrama? lol

Although, serious question - has a jdrama ever dealt with teen pregnancy and abortion?

I said it like a week earlier but I really need to get to that second season.
You should! The Natural is arguably the best part of the series because it has time to focus on the wonderful world of Neo Venezia.

If there was ever a question for Davido, it'd be this.
A true hero!

zeroshiki

Although, serious question - has a jdrama ever dealt with teen pregnancy and abortion?

Well, not abortion (I think thats considered a very big taboo here) but there was a drama specifically about teen pregnancy a couple years ago, 14 sai no haha (14 Year Old Mother). I never bothered to watch it but it was mildly successful.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, not abortion (I think thats considered a very big taboo here) but there was a drama specifically about teen pregnancy a couple years ago, 14 sai no haha (14 Year Old Mother). I never bothered to watch it but it was mildly successful.
Shida Mirai, the young actress of Jyoou no Kyoushitsu fame, plays an average junior high school student who becomes pregnant with her lover's child. The drama will show her gradually maturing as the circumstances around her change.
Sounds deliciously jdrama-ey. I mean, that's basically perfect for a family drama.

And, I guess I never bothered to look, but abortion is illegal in Japan?

No abortifacient has been approved in Japan. Approved doctors, however, can choose to use imported abortifacient under the same terms above. Any other people who abort the fetus using abortifacient will be also punished.
Oral contraceptives were once of limited availability, but the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare of Japan approved oral contraceptives in 2011.[1] The usage of contraceptives is not considered as the act of abortion in Japan at all.
Jeez. Worse than America.

zeroshiki

Sounds deliciously jdrama-ey. I mean, that's basically perfect for a family drama.

And, I guess I never bothered to look, but abortion is illegal in Japan?

Wikipedia says yes, completely illegal except for special circumstances. Let's... not get into this conversation here btw :lol

Oh hey, to go completely off topic, we should do a Ghibli retrospective podcast! Rope someone else from here to do it too. sonicmj1 seemed willing enough :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's more amazing that it's getting dubbed.
Although, for teen angst, I suppose that makes sense. What will be hilarious is having their stable of 30-something bad actors trying to act like they're on the set of DeGrassi or whatever passes for teen drama these days.

Wikipedia says yes, completely illegal except for special circumstances. Let's... not get into this conversation here btw :lol

Oh hey, to go completely off topic, we should do a Ghibli retrospective podcast! Rope someone else from here to do it too. sonicmj1 seemed willing enough :p
You should start an AnimeGAF cast. ;)

cajunator

Banned
So no. :(

Although I guess the OVA just came out recently. But at least those weird CG cartoons are there. lol

You should! The Natural is arguably the best part of the series because it has time to focus on the wonderful world of Neo Venezia.

A true hero!

OVA's have been sold as separate entities for a long time. I have separate DVDs for the OVAs of Saikano, Stratos 4, Rozen Maiden, and several more.

Syrinx

Nekomonogatari 4

Okay for what it was, but I think it's time for me to take a break from this franchise for a while. I'll probably wait until Monogatari S2 concludes before I start that one up.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
OVA's have been sold as separate entities for a long time. I have separate DVDs for the OVAs of Saikano, Stratos 4, Rozen Maiden, and several more.
In ancient times, sure. Until now, the only set I feel screwed over by was the FMA:Brotherhood sets where they stripped out the OVAs.

I mean, even the K-On sets included the OVAs as part of the season sets! (Although season 1 was pure milkage since it was split into 4 volumes).

ao no exorcist movie

kinda interesting. wish i remember the source material though.

uchouten kazoku 7

woah, shit randomly got dark at the end. still good.

railguns 16

build up for something... girls being girls.

Hello, everyone!
How have things been? Any new good anime shows? :)

Just wanted to say hello, and leave a little comment about the Evangelion movies.
While I was banned, I saw all three of them with my girlfriend, and boy do they make me feel things.

Neon Genesis Evangelion 1.11:
It was a simple retelling of the first few episodes, and it worked well.
I really liked that
Lilith is referred to by name, NERV headquarters looks really nice, and the Evangelion designs received a few modifications.
I really didn't like
Eva-00's new color. The hell happened there?

Neon Genesis Evangelion 2.22:
It was doing so good! It really was!
Then? It was weird.
Why did Mari get no introduction? Why did Shinji cause Third Impact so soon? What was up with Kaworu? Eva-02 Beast Mode is dumb! Eva-01 Beast Mode is neat! Was this movie rushed?

Neon Genesis Evangelion 3.33:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK THIS. I don't understand. Why?! Why was this made like this? There is so much wrong. So much wrong. Eva-13 was weird. Kaworu was entertaining, but his death was stupid. All characters were idiots, I don't get the "Adam's Vessel" talk about the Eva that "Rei" piloted. It was just a fucking mess.

So, in conclusion?

If you like Neon Genesis Evangelion, don't watch the movies.

Edit:
I did draw the Mass-Production Evangelion, and it might be displayed in a local art store soon!
BqxFaPBl.jpg

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
You have the exclusive Japan angle!

This is the fundamental problem with starting something here. No one wants to do the hard part! lol

Well, it is more I do the hard part elsewhere and don't want to end up with something that looks like the work I already do.

Blood Lad first 15 seconds

Wow does Viz Anime really have subs that are this crap? They are small, a color that's hard to see on certain backgrounds, and don't really synch with the words at all.

cajunator

Banned
In ancient times, sure. Until now, the only set I feel screwed over by was the FMA:Brotherhood sets where they stripped out the OVAs.

I mean, even the K-On sets included the OVAs as part of the season sets! (Although season 1 was pure milkage since it was split into 4 volumes).

Having OVA's already bundled I will admit is a nice gesture and something fairly recent.

Crocodile

Future Diary 1- 4

So I finally decided to give this a whirl. I thought so before I even watched the show but it became even more apparent after doing so but some of the character designs don't make sense in the context of show. Like we have normal looking people standing right next to clowns and chibis. For a show that takes itself seriously it seems a little off putting.

Also is it ever explained why Yuno wants Yuki's D so badly? Is this something that is played straight or is it an ironic commentary on the fact that only an actual psyhcopath would be so romantically interested in a wet blanket of a person who goes out of their way to sequester themselves from the rest of the world?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom