• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |10th Dimensional OT| the first ignoble truth: all of life is anime

Status
Not open for further replies.

yami4ct

sounds pretty bad tho

Talking over skype already reduces audio quality anyway, unless you're having everyone do their own recording and than have someone stitch it together which is also a pretty ridiculous amount of work. Having used the built in mac mic many times, it's not ideal but fine for most situations.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aren't the Air's headphone jack both line in and line out? Not sure where I heard that, but I believe that might be the case.
That's how it is on the pro... I'm assuming there is no jack at all on the Air?

Talking over skype already reduces audio quality anyway, unless you're having everyone do their own recording and than have someone stitch it together which is also a pretty ridiculous amount of work. Having used the built in mac mic many times, it's not ideal but fine for most situations.
Yeah, easier to just use the raw recording. lol

Well they fooled you people.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 10

Usagi gets in a fight with her mother, and then proceeds to be a jackass to Rei by not realizing she doesn't have a mother. Although Rei definitely doesn't bitch at her as much.

Queen Beryl appears in front of them with glorious cleavage, and plot went down.

Zoisite: The Climax Begins now!
and a truck is bout to ram Minako.

How appropriate. All this dorama

yami4ct

Berserk the Golden Age Movie 1: Something Something Egg Something

So, I recently fell in love with the manga and have been tearing through the chapters. I went into this film knowing all the complaints. I came in basically just looking to see some of my favorite Berserk moments animated. Boy, this thing is a bigger mess than I was prepared for.

From the visual angle, how bad this film looks has been covered over and over again so I won't spend too much time on that. Needless to say, it uses CG in just some terrible ways. Anything that's not a major character looks god awful. They animate poorly, feel really weightless and don't feel like the come in contact with other objects well. Swords and other weapons look as if they're floating in half clenched fists. The main character models look better, but that's until they move. Griffith was the only character who I felt consistently looked as he should. The other thing I'll note is that I wasn't a fan of this version of Casca's design. Her skin and hair seemed too light for my tastes. Maybe that's just me misinterpreting her looks from the page, but she's the main character who's basic design felt off. It's a shame, because I like the character a lot.

Visuals aside, this film would be fine if only it was a good adaptation of the material. It's not. The pacing of this film is absolutely atrocious. The pacing of the first part of the Golden Age arc in the manga isn't particularly stellar to begin with, but this takes that problem and blows it out to epic heights. Lots of bad cutting and awkward jumps in time makes it hard to keep track of time. Certain characters don't get near enough screen time, so they aren't where they should be from a development standpoint at this point in the story. The Band of the Hawk no longer feels like a cohesive unit of interesting characters, but a group of half drawn sketches with little sense of who they are and what they're doing.

Still, there are some positives. I felt the voice acting was really good. The Japanese VAs for Gutts, Griffith and Casca nail what I felt those characters should sound like. I especially like Griffith's performance as the VA infuses the character with just the right mix of childishness and foreboding. It's also still the same, pretty excellent Berserk story at its core. I came looking for animated versions of the Nosferatu Zodd fight and Gutts/Griffith duel and walked away pretty happy with both those moments. Overall, this is a pretty bad film but if you already enjoy Beserk, you might still get something out of it.

Onto number 2, I guess. I hear better things about that one.

yami4ct

This is why I build PC's.

For desktops, I'll always build my own. I can do way better than prefab anything, PC or Mac.

For laptops, I still have yet to find anything I like as well as the Macbook Air. Sure, it's missing a few dumb things, but the software, trackpad and keyboard are still miles ahead of any PC laptop I've used. I also feel like OSX is a much more laptop friendly piece of software than any version of Windows.

It's also the little things. The aluminum construction feels really nice and quality. I much rather rest my hands on an aluminum laptop than a plastic one. Feels more comfortable to me.

So, yeah, in the end it's Windows for Desktops and Mac for Laptops in my life.

cajunator

Banned
For desktops, I'll always build my own. I can do way better than prefab anything, PC or Mac.

For laptops, I still have yet to find anything I like as well as the Macbook Air. Sure, it's missing a few dumb things, but the software, trackpad and keyboard are still miles ahead of any PC laptop I've used. I also feel like OSX is a much more laptop friendly piece of software than any version of Windows.

It's also the little things. The aluminum construction feels really nice and quality. I much rather rest my hands on an aluminum laptop than a plastic one. Feels more comfortable to me.

So, yeah, in the end it's Windows for Desktops and Mac for Laptops in my life.

laptops I just avoid. that tiny mouse and frustrating keyboards make them a no-no.

zeroshiki

I don't know how you feel about Windows but a Thinkpad has an objectively better keyboard than any Mac and real men use trackpoints instead of that touchpad nonsense.

yami4ct

I adore the trackpad on mac laptops. It's natural and amazing. Their desktop "magic trackpad" BS is one of the most awful things invented by mankind, though. Ew.

Blood Lad Rest of Episode 1

That was funny and entertaining despite the crappy subs viz gives me (none of the options made it any better). Will watch more of this tomorrow

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Wonzo get a PC Sennheiser 360 and use the top tier mic with good headphones or buy a Blue Yeti.

cajunator

Banned
such as---

Oh, I guess those fit the bill! I mentioned NANA, of which she's read and enjoyed the mango already.

I was seriously gonna start recommending Utena up in this bitch, but just in time I remembered that I don't actually want people I interact with on a daily basis thinking I'm a damn weirdo. I've got them all fooled!

Im already well known as a weirdo. you dont get the nickname "alien" at work by being typical. But really I dont do anything that weird just I think everyone does things so normally.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
such as---

Oh, I guess those fit the bill! I mentioned NANA, of which she's read and enjoyed the mango already.
Say I Love You is good (for anime), god damnit!

For what it's worth, I wouldn't describe your voice as such. Then again it was slathered with venom for SAO the one time I did listen so it might not be the norm.
Apparently I compare it to Hitler this week. I do remember invoking Godwin's law anyway. :p

zeroshiki

such as---

I was seriously gonna start recommending Utena up in this bitch, but just in time I remembered that I don't actually want people I interact with on a daily basis thinking I'm a damn weirdo. I've got them all fooled!

A top recent shoujo list would be interesting, assuming we remove the Sunday morning cartoon stuff:

Kimi ni Todoke
Chihayafuru
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Natsuyuki (maybe? I couldn't get over the NTR)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
???

wonzo

Banned
Wonzo get a PC Sennheiser 360 and use the top tier mic with good headphones or buy a Blue Yeti.
gamer headset
emot-barf.gif

I'll look at a Blue Yeti + Pop Filter

Ghost in the Shell Arise 1

I really liked this slick sci-fi political action thriller. Unlike Psychopass or 009 Re:Cyborg, it doesn't try to be more intelligent than it actually is (which is not to say it's dumb either). It's not as philosophical as past iterations of the franchise, but I can't say I mind that, as I'd rather this be its own thing instead of trying to ape Oshii when it doesn't actually have Oshii. Similarily, I felt that Cornelius' music worked very well with the tone this was aiming for, not to mention being interesting on its own compositionally. The only place where it didn't work was the opening sequence, where the music felt like it was lacking enough punch. The ending credits theme was excellent though.

I was really happy with the direction; the whole thing was paced and edited tightly. The scenes were juxtaposed as to gradually piece together a puzzle plot which revealed layer upon layer until entirely coming into light
as in Makoto's room, which appears shrouded in darkness when we are seeing it through her false perceptions and only appears in bright light when others enter who can see its true appearance. The whole plot line of Makoto's false memories was effectively portrayed.
The action scenes were well choreographed and animated, and so were much better than the action that happens in many of the Western action thrillers from which this took inspiration - contrast the shaky-cam of the Bourne films. The expository scenes were kept interesting as well, showing instead of just telling with flashbacks and the conceit of Makoto's cyberbrain research.

The biggest weakness is the poor digital composition that Production IG just can't escape from, but I knew it would be that way going in and so it didn't bother me much. The best I can say on that front is that the CG didn't look out of place with the 2D elements.

I'm very much looking forward to the future entries in this series, as long as they can maintain the same level of quality.

Also, Sawashiro's Logicoma is super-cute.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 11

Only minor. Lovely.

Still baffles me that Clark Kenting was more effective than wearing different wigs. Minako knows who Sailor Moon is, who doesn't know who she is? Naru? She's too busy getting attacked all the fucking time.

Also glorious trappings by Zoisite.

NEXT TIME, Venus Power!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Anime must be bad then if all they can do for plot is rehash the same story over and over.
But it doesn't? This isn't One Piece or something!

A top recent shoujo list would be interesting, assuming we remove the Sunday morning cartoon stuff:

Kimi ni Todoke
Chihayafuru
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Natsuyuki (maybe? I couldn't get over the NTR)
Kaichou wa Maid-sama
???

There's only one choice on that list. lol

If you are talking about shoujo that isn't shoujo-shoujo, then I suppose you can throw in Aishiteru Baby or Usagi Drop or Hana Yori Dango.

zeroshiki

Girls und Panzer is apparently collaborating with the Ibaraki Airport for a tourist promotion

There's gonna be a stamp rally, err... life sized carboard tanks, life sized character panels and large posters. The event lasts from 9/9 to 10/31. I expect pics of ponpo beside a tank and sexhair girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom