• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Needs full name.
g6f7roj.jpg

Never heard of this. Whats this about? When did this air x_x

It's part of Otona Joshi no Anime Time (Adult Women's Anime Time), a series of shorts adapting short stories by and for women that air on NHK. Life's Best Ten came out this past spring. It's about a woman who reminiscences on the ten best moments of her life as she prepares to attend a school reunion. Pretty good. I don't endorse firehawk's statement though.

Theonik

Battle Royal High School
ibnX5qSMgDeYW3.png

Suddenly King from Tekken.
Ok where to start with this, it's a pretty standard 80s OVA I'd say. The plot revolves around a pretty cocky but strong high school student who by some weird stroke of fate ends up allying with himself from another dimension who is non-other than the demon lord controlling that dimension. Together, he, an ESP Demon-hunter, and a space-time policeman, join forces to try and beat the conspiracy that got the demon lord in that world in the first place.
It was kinda boring for the most part, but it had its redeeming moments. It runs for about 57 minutes or so. Fans of 80s OVAs will appreciate certain aspects of it, especially some decent gore sakuga it features, latter being
a human being reconstructed from scratch animated in visceral detail
as well as this gem of a scene with a few more highlights which I'll refrain from spoiling. It was directed and written by Ichirou Itano which is a neat thing to keep in mind while watching too.
Overall, I'd recommend at least taking a look if you like any of the things I mentioned here but do note that there are some caveats. You could also try to watch the highlights on YT if you are really lame I guess.

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 30

Two sides of the bitch coin: The Bitch and The Bitch with the heart of a Bitch. Using tactics to make people hate Usagi more and more, she's certainly effective her. Her friends might even hate her now. Funny, Naru stoppd existing after triggering diarrhea from seeing Mio.

The Youma in this episode is the same as the last episode. Probably means something.

jediyoshi

Love Lab 10

0nLixNH.jpg

Weird episode. Was ready for it to just focus on Sayo and her dude but out of nowhere is the super ungraceful transition into everyone else's backstory. Didn't think any of the individual parts were bad though, just felt really scattershot in focus as a whole.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Love Lab Episode 10: I think Eno's brother just stop up to near the top of the list of favored characters on this show. Aside from that, I find that my enjoyment of this program is when it is being light and funny I shockingly rather enjoy it and when the get serious like with the flashback with Yuu, I am bored out my skull. Indeed one of the biggest flaws with Love Lab is that none of the male love interests have been built up beyond very basic characteristics beucase this is not a romance show, this is a comedy show with quasi-amorous elements both het and yuri. While last episode was not my cup of tea, it was at least inspired and the drama was surrounded by somebody I actually gave a shit about. Yuu is filmed in Watamote-O-Vision , that alone earns him my apathy. Anyway, when you get down to it this was a good if typical episode of the show; indeed, this may be the most slice of life-y episode yet.

jman2050

Love Lab 10

Change of pace episode, seemed to be more reminiscent of Azumanga's style this time around. Totally okay with that, as the show remains completely hilarious even done this way.

Superior Sayo

Love Lab 10

Pretty slice of life-y, probably to avoid having a 3 p- wait no, there's 3 more episodes left, that doesn't work.

This was pretty... odd. It didn't really flow too well, felt like a real 4 koma show and whatnot. I am a bit surprised we learned about Yuu though, just thought he'd be a run on joke without much character development. Then again, considering how the boys recieved time, they haven't really recieved much development to begin with. Seems 13 episodes just isn't enough to not make everyone better, but eh.

Suzu was adorable though.

Kagami

New thread, yays!
I'm still catching up on anime and reading the previous thread but going to poke my head in here to say hi. Work has slowed down a little so I hope I can catch up on all the summer shows now.

Got some new anime BDs:

Haganai NEXT BD vol. 2 and Queen's Blade Premium Book 4 w/ Vanquished Queen's BD 2
QB covers are a little NSFW; click for uncovered/big images

Whoever was in charge of making the back covers for these QB books apparently didn't notice the format changed from DVD to BD after the first two:

Also finished collecting the Ro-Kyu-Bu! SS single CDs, along with the box that some stores were giving away when you buy all seven:

There's real people on one side, if you're into that:

Side-by-side with the first season CD box:

Haganai 1-6
Waited till this thread to post this.
Finally started watching it.
Im on Team Meat.
My ranking thus far has Yozora last.
Sena > Kobato > moe meido > that other girl > Sister Maria > Yozora
This show is pretty fun and doesnt go overboard on fanservice. I love it.
More Haganai watchers! Welcome aboard!

Mr.Jeff

Imouto Paradise 2 episode 1

This wasn't done by Murakami, it looks like any other hentai. This is bad by comparison because we're going from sakuga loving to standard run of the mill animators.

Seems to be the Blue and Pink show even harder as well. What about the others :(
I could sort of tell that from some of the promo art that it was going to be generic as hell. Odd that they decided to switch like that.

Kamichu 8
CAT FIGHT CLUB. This show is ridiculous, I'm going to bed.
There's a fair few random episodes in the series not featuring Yurie and the gang which can be a bit hit and miss but the final episodes are brilliant. Amazing blush faces everywhere.

Also, Happy Belated Birthday FelixOrion and Happy Birthday wonzo!

I could sort of tell that from some of the promo art that it was going to be generic as hell. Odd that they decided to switch like that.

There's a fair few random episodes in the series not featuring Yurie and the gang which can be a bit hit and miss but the final episodes are brilliant. Amazing blush faces everywhere.

Also, Happy Belated Birthday FelixOrion and Happy Birthday wonzo!
Episode 4, the one with the alien was also hilariously absurd. This show just does whatever it wants and it's wonderful.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, I really hope the people over on gaming side who complain about stuff like the character design in Atelier games never see Ro-Kyu-Bu!. :lol

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gatchaman Crowds Episode 9:
So at last the plans of Berg-Katze to make the world, and by the world I mean Japan, burn by collaborating with the dejected Umeda by using the otherworldly power of the CROWDS to bring down the ruling government. You know, more and more the flashy CG suits are feeling like a contractual obligation since they have been proven to be quite useless in this war. Indeed, the Gatchamen can not fight the power of CROWDS with force since they are humans and eliminating the CROWDS make them succumb to dot hack disease. Indeed they fight evil with evil, er, a second PR campaign, Gatchaman TV, which is think is yet more commentary on the nature of communications. Anyway, we end with strange scene of Sugane telling off J and they are going to defend the planet and they don't need him. JJ has been practically useless this whole series and honestly it does not seem like he cares.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
alight so now that the new thread is up, someone posted this gif on the last page, can anyone tell me where this is from?
izjbfP05mgBXm.gif

Syrinx

Gurren Lagann 25

KITTAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit, that makes two guys now that Yoko's lost just after kissing her, though at least they knew what Kittan's fate was. He did it for humanity. Time to go bro it up in the heavens Kamina and Jorgun and Balinbow. He's earned it.
It's every episode now with this shit now. Goddamn, it isn't often a show just ratchets it up to 11 for this many episodes now.

Gurren Lagann 25

KITTAN NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shit, that makes two guys now that Yoko's lost just after kissing her, though at least they knew what Kittan's fate was. He did it for humanity. Time to go bro it up in the heavens Kamina and Jorgun and Balinbow. He's earned it.
It's every episode now with this shit now. Goddamn, it isn't often a show just ratchets it up to 11 for this many episodes now.

AND IT STILL WON'T STOP

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gatchamanz 9
What a weird episode, but hey.
MOsrD6Jl.jpg

Hajime desu~~~~!!!!

Love Lab 10
And, I know that Love Lab is a 4koma, but the previous episodes basically went the K-On!! route of turning strips into serial episodes. This episode was just a series of gags stitched together.

Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it's just a bit jarring to switch pacing in the middle of a series. I assume this is a one off, but who knows.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
New thread, yays!
I'm still catching up on anime and reading the previous thread but going to poke my head in here to say hi. Work has slowed down a little so I hope I can catch up on all the summer shows now.

So good.

Yozora is truly the best girl, clearly the best cover. And Tomoka <3

firehawk12

Subete no aware
New thread, yays!

Got some new anime BDs:
lol

I love you man.

GJS

Gatchaman Crowds Episode 9:
Anyway, we end with strange scene of Sugane telling off J and they are going to defend the planet and they don't need him. JJ has been practically useless this whole series and honestly it does not seem like he cares.

It's the only way they will be able to fight him I guess. Using their own powers by themselves instead of sitting around waiting for JJ to mobilise them.

I think it's pretty obvious by now that Berg Katze was a Gatchaman in this series compared to the original and got fed up with doing what JJ said, what with all the broken children references, his note, and Berg Katzes' monologue in this ep. I presume he took his power for himself, and that seems to have made him pretty successful.

We haven't really seen what the Gatchaman can do with their powers other than a few simple things. Yet O.D. seemingly has a power which can destroy everything if he were to spread his wings, and I don't think I need to say more about Berg.

Maybe it will be different when the rest of the team are completely taking the initiative.

cajunator

Banned
But the female protagonists were one of the good things about Lagrange!

Damned right they were!

He worked on all the Rebuild movies. He's part of the writing team. They're a bunch of guys sitting in a room, Anno takes his pants off and lines his butt crack with cocaine, and they all take turns sniffing it. Then Anno takes a dump on a piece a paper, and they form it into words. That's how the screenplays are made.

So that must be how Lucas wrote the Starwars prequels too.

cajunator

Banned
Love Lab 10

I was going to comment on the content of this episode, but unfortunately I have been rendered insufficiently alive to accomplish this task by the lethal dose of cuteness contained in Suzu's flashback. Normal service will resume after I have visited my local necromancy clinic for the appropriate resurrection procedures.

Yeah that was some extremely powerful hnnngh. But thats what defibrillators are for!

I mostly felt that way because of the terrible CGI.

Some of the CGI ain't that bad and can be considered pretty good actually (like the beginning sequence) though its mainly because half the time there are so many beams and explosions you don't quite know whats going on. When the EVA's are just fighting with no fancy particle effects you see truly how embarrassingly bad it is:

For instance this doesn't look bad:

tumblr_mm95lb50k61rpwqk9o2_r1_500.gif

but the bits where its fighting the other eva's looks cringeworthy. I hope they take that scene out and redo it by the time 4.0 comes out because the original was one of the greatest anime fight scenes.

cajunator

Banned

Yup. that show is something else. Not sure if its worthy to be list material though.

New thread, yays!

More Haganai watchers! Welcome aboard!

Yeah I guess add me to the Haganai fanclub cause I love it heehee.

Some of the CGI ain't that bad and can be considered pretty good actually (like the beginning sequence) though its mainly because half the time there are so many beams and explosions you don't quite know whats going on. When the EVA's are just fighting with no fancy particle effects you see truly how embarrassingly bad it is:

For instance this doesn't look bad:

tumblr_mm95lb50k61rpwqk9o2_r1_500.gif

but the bits where its fighting the other eva's looks cringeworthy. I hope they take that scene out and redo it by the time 4.0 comes out because the original was one of the greatest anime fight scenes.

Considering the budget they have to make these movies it's damn travesty that it looks so fucking bad. Where is my end of evangelion level of goodness? =(

cajunator

Banned
Not at all. On the whole I liked season 2 even better than season 1.

Thats cool. Ill probably finish the whole thing eventually.

Gurren Lagann 25

Its not over till its OVER!

Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon 31

Nooooo, even PGSM hates Makoto ;-; whhhhy

Pro-tip: Turtle Fetishes won't get you with the waifuiest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom