• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2013 Anime |OT3| only manly sports allowed

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicmj1

Aoi Bungaku - No Longer Human 4 - END

I sounded really harsh in my last set of impressions. Maybe that was a little unfair. This story is really well shot and directed. Morio Asaka knows how to get the most out of his characters in a few words and a few shots, and can frame an arresting image. The difficulty is that this story is about one of the lowest, most pathetic protagonists I've ever encountered. It's hardly shocking that it's a semi-autobiographical book written by someone suicidal.

iXKb1GhUw1Nk2.jpg

Unlike the yellow-filtered childhood flashbacks of earlier episodes, the flashbacks in this episode make creative use of the space they're set in. The story he relates to his friend pops from the room they talk in. It's a great little visual trick.

Oba Yozo's loneliness, self-loathing, and guilt are very real, raw human emotions exposed here at their ugliest. But, at least in this form, those aspects of his character blot out everyone around him. When one of his lovers says, "The Yo we know is very honest and sensitive," it's impossible to see where she's coming from. He's only honest when people think he's lying, and we only see him feeding off the kindness of others and making demands. Maybe it's not surprising that he has trouble seeing his positive qualities, but stuff like that makes it hard to care about everyone else.

ibeJ4nqk26rzAc.jpg

Maybe this is a somewhat cliche shot, but it's really effective here. Even though she's at the top of the stairs, the framing makes her seem much smaller "beneath" the shadow at the doorway.

I think there are a lot of comparisons you could make between this story and Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment. Both star sick, neurotic protagonists wracked by guilt, who have trouble functioning in society and often hurt those around them. But outside of the marked thematic differences (for one, Dostoyevsky isn't a nihilist), Crime and Punishment is full of vibrantly drawn characters with their own perspectives of Raskolnikov. Even as he mentally tortures himself, we know what others see in him, and his relationships with those people give us a reason to care about him at his worst. No Longer Human is so self-flagellating that this kind of thing is lost. Yozo's male acquaintances are villains and leeches, and his female lovers or goddesses are like ovens that radiate affection.

Maybe those character details got crushed by the pace of the adaptation. Sometimes little bits of humanity shine through, and I can't tell whether they come from the book or from the director, since they're largely visual. But it leaves the story feeling hollow.

It's really too bad.

cajunator

Banned
Hm. I certainly remember episode 8 of Nise (difficult to forget XD) but I'm having trouble recalling that particular expression =/

remember the slow motion frown to smile that Karen and Araragi made when Tsukihi caught them in the act and they thought she would have mercy

cnet128

Banned
remember the slow motion frown to smile that Karen and Araragi made when Tsukihi caught them in the act and they thought she would have mercy

Ahahahahahahaha. Found it now. You're right, it is like the exact reverse of that Touma gif >.>

-Minsc-

Naruto Shippuden - 329

GinBall.png

Good stuff. :)

I know this is not the case, but with this episode the series feels like it's near completion.

Pooya

I'd be interested in PP s2 if the premise is....

s1 spoilers

Sibyil kills Akane in first episode because she knows too much obviously and their 'agreement' they had is threatened or something.... yeah throw her under the bus asap

this then prompts Kogami to come out from hiding and with that new recruit girl in last episode as the main Inspector, hopefully she's not as bad.

make it about one main story and Sibyl instead of episodic with shitty cases, best parts of PP s1 was during the riot episodes, more like that.

I would watch if it's like that.

duckroll

They're taking so long to start the fucking stream it apparently already got leaked on the noitaminA site before they removed it. LOL.

b167cuV.jpg

Movie and 2nd season.

Dont think it was added, or just no one else but two of us watched it or cared for it...but instead of making more Bleach, they are making more Naruto SD

"TV Tokyo announced on Wednesday that the Naruto Spin-Off: Rock Lee & His Ninja Pals (Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden) anime is returning in a new series on October 1. Naruto SD: Rock Lee no Seishun Full-Power Ninden Mō Iccho will air every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m.

Hyped if every episode can be like the final episode...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I saw that [post=80220589]2ch ranking of this seasons girls[/post] and yeah, I'm predicting that sudoku is going to be popular with the otaku tourists when they come to Britain and realise that British girls aren't all kawaii blonde lasses but this.

duckroll

Both new Psycho-Pass projects are brand new works. The movie is not a compilation film apparently. So... brand new movie, and brand new second season. No date. No footage. Might not actually be in production yet. Lol.

was gonna watch index... but ended up finishing 4th light novel lol. The whole swapping thing is fun and a bit confusing, and i kinda dug the payoff/troll ending.

next up, last order!

Both new Psycho-Pass projects are brand new works. The movie is not a compilation film apparently. So... brand new movie, and brand new second season. No date. No footage. Might not actually be in production yet. Lol.

Well I guess theres no chance of more Kagari or Shogo then, unless the definition of brand new doesnt exclude recurring cast members from previous season...

Pooya

RIP in pieces WIT Studio.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well hopefully if they start work on the OP now they'll have it completed by the sixth episode.

Pooya

Really? I remember when Robo;notes use IG Name, and PP using Wit.. anyway different name, same shit/

yeah, lol. I was sure last year around this time I read it in here about Studio WIT and PP. I think I'm going crazy now, in fact I searched right now and found out I wasn't crazy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41352126&postcount=17706

duckroll said:
More Psycho-Pass news:

I just dug up more stuff thanks to a lead on 2ch. The animation character designer is probably Kyoji Asano, and the production of the show will be handled by Wit Studio.

Wit Studio is previously Production IG Studio 6. IG Port officially turned them into their own studio in April this year: http://v3.eir-parts.net/EIR/View.asp...net&sid=965563

Asano's Twitter profile confirms he is working at Wit Studio, and he also retweeted the Psycho-Pass news: https://twitter.com/asanovic7

maybe things changed after that I didn't notice, lol

fertygo

You have a bad memory. Wit actually worked on one episode of Robotics;Notes. The studio had nothing to do with PP.

Welp.. my short term memory already so bad :(
yeah, lol. I was sure last year around this time I read it in here about Studio WIT and PP. I think I'm going crazy now, in fact I searched right now and found out I wasn't crazy
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41352126&postcount=17706

maybe things changed after that I didn't notice, lol
Ah this is what I remember as well..

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
They're taking so long to start the fucking stream it apparently already got leaked on the noitaminA site before they removed it. LOL.

b167cuV.jpg

Movie and 2nd season.

Hell yes!

Gimme some of that
canon yuri OTP.
I hope S2 revolves around them as the pseudo main characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom