• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those into Monster Musume, your favorite half-human harem may get an anime adaption

312x213.gif.4198ab40ce8k8l.gif

Articalys

Nisio will find a way.
It's just that, after Hanamonogatari,
it feels like all the main characters' stories have reached some sort of definite conclusion with nothing further to tell -- Koyomi, Hitagi, Mayoi, Suruga, Nadeko, Tsubasa, Shinobu, they've all more or less resolved all their problems and reached a stable state. They've also almost all had their backstories fully explained too -- the only origins left are for Koyomi and Shinobu/Kiss-Shot, which Kizu covers. With Hana feeling like such a massive finale to everything I don't know how much I can care about filling in any other gaps

Clov

I only feel this way because Hanamonogatari was so unnecessary and poorly produced.

I enjoyed Hanamonogatari, but I liked how Koimonogatari ended so much that part of me wishes it all ended there.
I was pretty happy to see Kaiki alive, regardless.

Branduil

Chaika the Coffin Princess 6

iq9I0J37eDsho.jpg

Does it count as NTR if the one stealing your man is yourself?

In this episode Tooru basically admits he works for white Chaika because she's "moe." Also some fighting and there's a royal council where that guy is angry and yells a lot because you always have to have that guy in a royal council.

Midonin

PriPara 11

No more time is going to be wasted on Lala's revolution. We're taking this into montage time! Now she and Mirei are at least in the same class, and once they team up with Sofie, the road to the top... will still take at least two more cours, but it's a lot of progress compressed into a small space for the sake of the story. Sofie's Making Drama is very Princess Tutu like. Or one of the witches from Madoka. Something that feels like it belongs in a different sort of show. The birdcage imagery only lasted a moment, but it's becoming clear that Sofie's biggest obstacle is herself.

The montage of girls who are never going to be main characters was fun, and there was a brief cameo of Dorothy. They've been building up to this trio competition for some time, and Shion and the twins have already been revealed to the public. A very in-between kind of episode. The scene where MIrei enthused over Cosmo was also another fun little scene. She's looking much better in 2D.

This show's got 38 episodes and a movie, and it's already won me over. Though in the absence of lore or romantic drama, I'm wondering where the show's going to go. It's not the same thing as Rainbow Live, that much is certain.

Syrinx

n21iQEC.jpg

Kanon (2006) Episode 1

Uguu! MikeHattsu alert! ItsHappening.gif

Okay, so I was mistaken and did not originally watch the entire episode, but rather the beginning few minutes. Originally, I wasn't crazy about the character designs. However, seeing the series in motion and hearing the girls, I actually like it a lot better now. It's KyoAni, and they're pretty good.

On to the actual show, Yuichi seems rather likable. We already have the cousin dynamic here in episode one. Seems a cute little town, almost reminds me of my own small cute little town. Yuichi's waiting outside when it happens. Uguu! She's sooooo freaking adorable. Loved her story about the Takoyaki stand.

What's even cuter was the mentioning of her Wings and Ayu spinning like a cat/dog trying to see them. Those wings are actually super adorable, part of what makes her so cute.

I have a long weekend, so we'll see how much more I can watch, Mike. 6 episodes per disc, so I'm thinking 4 more summaries. This one was a bonus for how long it took me. ;o

Uguu!
This has got to be one of the worst character designs ever.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 24

f339170c4b.jpg

Posing for a shitty album cover

Oh God Polnareff and Kakyoin's bro moment was so perfect. Gonna need a webm of that.
This is definitely one of the weirder Part 3 Stands. Forgot a lot of this episode's content.

A bit disappointed they didn't use the HTTF design for Midler/Rose's brief appearance. I wonder why. And also showing that they wanted to end right here on the perfect spot, the last third of the episode is added on as far as I can remember, including a short recap. Maybe I'm wrong.
Nice tease of Iggy there at the end.

Now at the halfway point, I can say that this is a great adaptation, one of the best, even better then the Part 1/2 ones. Better animation, great directing, voice acting. It's pretty much everything I wanted. I much prefer the second half of Part 3, but I enjoyed the adaptation of the first half here a lot. I really don't have much to complain about, besides the censorship (DEAR LORD IT WAS BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAD THIS EPISODE, TOKYO GHOUL TIER) and Crunchy's dumb names.

I eagerly look forward to Egypt in Winter.

No but seriously, that censoring is making me worried for some future fights. I'd advise, if you have not begun this series already and are interested, to wait for the blu-rays.

The Secret World of Arrietty

Yeah, I'm glad this guy isn't the next face of Studio Ghibli. Perhaps Miyazaki set him up with that screenplay. The sound design was pleasant, though.

Edit: Oh, Miyazaki had someone else help with the script. That would help explain it being poor even by senile Miyazaki standards.

Quasar

Railwars 11 - Can we just have 12 end with Sakurai confessing?

Invaders 10 - I guess the end won't be a fight with the evil magical girls after all.

Jex

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Story was just bad. Utena tries to stay noble but fails and eventually loses her purity just like everyone else, really odd cuz throughout the show the emphasis is constantly on how she wants to be a prince and how she's different. I found it hard to relate to her. She is just a bad person who shows vehement favouritism towards Himemiya. Like when she chose to defend Himemiya despite Wakaba telling the truth. There's no character development, they all stay flat and two-dimensional. There was only one dynamic character and it was Nanami. I enjoyed her episodes even if they were humorous fillers. Her relationship with her brother was one I would've liked to see more and it was annoying they cut her off right after the big plot twist (that really wasn't).

Animation and art were poor, looks like all of the budget went into backgrounds to further its stupid symbolism.

Speaking of the stupid symbolism. What does it mean to bring revolution to the world and how is it achieved by acquiring the Rose Bride? Why is the Rose Bride doing what she's doing? Cracking the shell of the world? What purpose did the incest theme serve?

Story progression is awful, told in a terrible methodical way. Cast is introduced, something happens>fight each of the cast every episode until end of the arc>new arc same procedure. Same lines uttered, same fighting animations, dealing the same finishing moves. Recycled footage and plot each arc. Over and over again.

Did no one get bored to death with how to show kept repeating itself? wow

4/10 stay away from this garbage
I mean, I believe you're pretty much wrong on every single topic you brought up, but at least you finished the series so you're on up on firehawk12!

You say the show wasn't that complicated and that you didn't miss any important details but apparently you missed just about everything.

jgminto

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders 25

January...

I feel like being a JoJo fan consists mostly of waiting these days. Waiting for the next season, waiting a month for every Jojolion chapter (or two for the upcoming chapter) and waiting for the stamina bar to refill in ASB.

Theonik

I feel like being a JoJo fan consists mostly of waiting these days. Waiting for the next season, waiting a month for every Jojolion chapter (or two for the upcoming chapter) and waiting for the stamina bar to refill in ASB.
Like BGBW would say. 'That's so Britain!'

Taruranto

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Story was just bad. Utena tries to stay noble but fails and eventually loses her purity just like everyone else, really odd cuz throughout the show the emphasis is constantly on how she wants to be a prince and how she's different. I found it hard to relate to her. She is just a bad person who shows vehement favouritism towards Himemiya. Like when she chose to defend Himemiya despite Wakaba telling the truth. There's no character development, they all stay flat and two-dimensional. There was only one dynamic character and it was Nanami. I enjoyed her episodes even if they were humorous fillers. Her relationship with her brother was one I would've liked to see more and it was annoying they cut her off right after the big plot twist (that really wasn't).

Animation and art were poor, looks like all of the budget went into backgrounds to further its stupid symbolism.

Speaking of the stupid symbolism. What does it mean to bring revolution to the world and how is it achieved by acquiring the Rose Bride? Why is the Rose Bride doing what she's doing? Cracking the shell of the world? What purpose did the incest theme serve?

Story progression is awful, told in a terrible methodical way. Cast is introduced, something happens>fight each of the cast every episode until end of the arc>new arc same procedure. Same lines uttered, same fighting animations, dealing the same finishing moves. Recycled footage and plot each arc. Over and over again.

Did no one get bored to death with how to show kept repeating itself? wow

4/10 stay away from this garbage

Meh.

Here, have hipster Utena.

S4yf49A.jpg

by7xGrO.jpg

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BioShock Infinite’s “Burial At Sea” DLC now has audio in French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Japanese available. If you want to update your already-installed BioShock Infinite Burial At Sea add-on packs to include these languages, you’ll need to take the following steps.

Now I'm curious to see if Sawashiro tries to do a Japanese version of whatever a femme fatale sounds like over there. lol

Yep, she tries to "sultry" it up. It's weird having an anime actor play an adult... since you basically associate most of them with playing teenagers or children.

I mean, I believe you're pretty much wrong on every single topic you brought up, but at least you finished the series so you're on up on firehawk12!

You say the show wasn't that complicated and that you didn't miss any important details but apparently you missed just about everything.

No I didn't miss anything, apparently the power to revolutionize the world was something so stupid and trivial that I didn't even consider it to be that. People are dueling over a wish granting genie(never explained how she would help gain them that) and there is incest, wow 2deep4u! It's a crap show with mostly terrible characters, terrible overused recycled animation and it was the most repetitive anime I've ever seen. You must've watched this series with very rose tinted glasses to overlook its shortcomings.

phaze

Is Texhnolyze worth watching?

First post on Anime-GAF, by the way! Hurray! I hear the watchbets are horrific.

Yes. But I suppose it might not be a show everyone. It starts out slow and episodes 2-4 are difficult to get through. (I've seen the same said about episode 1 but despite having like 5 lines of dialogue it kept me captivated throughout.) Just don't go into it expecting rainbows and fast paced action. The protag gets better in latter episodes.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
No I didn't miss anything, apparently the power to revolutionize the world was something so stupid and trivial that I didn't even consider it to be that. People are dueling over a wish granting genie(never explained how she would help gain them that) and there is incest, wow 2deep4u! It's a crap show with mostly terrible characters, terrible overused recycled animation and it was the most repetitive anime I've ever seen. You must've watched this series with very rose tinted glasses to overlook its shortcomings.

As Mikage said once, deeper, go deeper. By the way what Mikage was doing was not so much brainwashing but an ode to eh Jungian concept of reaching a psychological breakthrough with a patient with combined with the ROman poet Ovid's seminal work Metamorphoses as symbolized by the very iconic butterfly that was in the office.

cajunator

Banned
Meh.

Here, have hipster Utena.

S4yf49A.jpg

by7xGrO.jpg

this is...this is incredible

yeah if you can deal with deep depression. Theres a chart of emotions for it and everything.

watchbets can either be horrific or amazing. They arent always negative.

Now I'm curious to see if Sawashiro tries to do a Japanese version of whatever a femme fatale sounds like over there. lol

Oh god. Zachy would die.

Movies from the backlog to watch today: Children who Chase Lost Voices and Tekkon Kinkreet.

It definetly is. Has a similar ambiance to Ergo Proxy, if you loved that one you'll love Texhnolyze.

Acosta

Not much time to post, but I have kept enjoying this fine season:

Gekkan Shoujo

Since I started to watch anime, I'm more in love of the capacity of this medium to create great, likable characters. I really like everyone here and that allows every story to feel great, warm and funny. For example, just watched episode 8 and the interactions between Horu and Kashima was fantastic and hilarious. I also like that the focus is well balanced and it´s not just about Nozaki and Sakura (by the way, she is adorable!). The only low I can think is that the series needs more Seo.

Barakamon

I can't add anything too deep or intelligent over what it has been said before. The series is fantastic, and I'm sure many feel identified with the struggles of Seishu. I feel the series deal with some deep themes without losing its lightness and sense of fun. Naru is awesome, and the quality of the series is great, it´s a joy to watch. Finished episode 4 so far.

Sabagebu

Great, great fun, very "in your face". It has been said before but the fact that the main character is a gigantic jerk helps the humor being unexpected and punchy. I''m at episode 7 and I can feel it loosing some stream, but I still find it very funny. Love Lab war funnier for me though.

Zankyou No Terror

I really like it, and it´s nice to have something 100% serious as a change of peace. It´s the one I'm trying to savor more slowly so I'm just at episode 3, it seems like a really good thriller with some insane production values. I acknowledge it could go to shit very fast as it seems to bet on a very slow development and hidden subplots and motivations to keep interest. That's fine, but I just hope the deliver it´s worth it.

That's it, I have also seen the usual HxH (great, as always, I'm really gonna miss it), and some episodes of S1 of Mushishi (as always, I really like it, but I go through it very slowly because I get lazy once I think on watching an episode). I was also watching Tokyo Ghoul and I have not dropped it at third episode, but I also don't feel like watching it, it´s on limbo right now. I also have Akame Ga Kill and Hanayamata on hold, I havent watched one episode yet, same for Aldnoah and SAO (yay :p).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 24:

End of arc one, please wait a cour for the next one. At any rate, this was an okay episode, the High Priestess episode just kind of ran out of stream there and left us with 15 minutes of not whole lot. Still, I know enough that the best is yet to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom