• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zetsuen no Tempest 13

Or the first half of that anyways.

I'm really no sure what to say about the pacing of this show anymore.
For roughly 70mins (3 + 1/2 episodes) the main characters stood in the same location, moving at best a few meters/switch positions.

Now there's all the mind games going on and it's staged like a grand tragedy and what not but... it still felt like a huge drag in the end.

I lost enough interest to not even continue the show for an entire day. Now I finally told myself to keep going, after all I must be near the (first?) climax!

And then, after some short intro to the episode, Mahiro goes on a 12min recap of the show... really?

These last ~8-10mins better be good...

_hekk05

Banned
I climbed a mountain when I was in school. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to drink cordial during the climb. It was the most dehydrated I'd ever been in my life.

Cordial is only good if its cold and very dilute. I remember drinking pocari

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Right, I remember, that was the setup. But she really goofs around too much and I still don't like how Megumi and YuuYuu told her, that she shouldn't worry and that it wasn't her fault. She should, she really should. She was careless and people got hurt on a global scale. I would be far happier if the dialog would've involved understanding that she messed up big time.

I dunno, the whole setup is difficult. It's the equivalent to Obama's son accidentally open the gates of all high security prisons in the states (one wouldn't be enough, they took the kingdom over in almost an instant and continued to attacking the world). This isn't something you can just gloss over with "well, you didn't wanted to unleash the murders, rapists and wrongly accused, so it's not your fault".

I know it's a kids show, and I shouldn't bother so much, but it grinds my gears.It would be a beginning :D
It's about forgiveness and redemption. Hime is putting in the work, so don't be so vindictive.

This is what you get for watching anything beyond Heartcatch.
The first half of HapCha has been better than the first half of Heartcatch.

Narag

Ai-Mai-Mi - Mousou Catastrophie 3

aimaimis23.jpg

aimaimis23a.jpg

Fine.

Chariot

Happiness Charge Precure 22

Oh yeah, that was pretty good with Cure Fortune finally coming to terms with herself and her own regret and Hime actually facing her shame a bit and starting to apologize. I still don't like how the show with Megumi and Yuu wanted to make it not her fault. I am sure something is coming like "Queen Mirage lured her there to open the box".

This is what you get for watching anything beyond Heartcatch.
Still have to watch that. :(
But there is the GTO watchbet.

Zetsuen no Tempest 13

Or the first half of that anyways.

I'm really no sure what to say about the pacing of this show anymore.
For roughly 70mins (3 + 1/2 episodes) the main characters stood in the same location, moving at best a few meters/switch positions.

Now there's all the mind games going on and it's staged like a grand tragedy and what not but... it still felt like a huge drag in the end.
Haha, I actually enjoyed the part, since the arguments, guessing and bluffing were very interesting and made sense.
It's about forgiveness and redemption. Hime is putting in the work, so don't be so vindictive.
I don't like Hime's attitude. I don't really feel any urgency to resolve the situation from her.

Pooya

throw me a BONE

1- chaika - I've seen nothing
2- captain earth - I've seen nothing
3-space dandy - I've watched like 5 episodes and stopped but second part looks like it's being received a lot better, I'm having second thoughts.

only one, I don't care which one has more sakuga, I'm looking for entertainment. thx

edit: I consider every and all responses even if not included here, including the one below this post!

wonzo

Banned
throw me a BONE

3-space dandy - I've watched like 5 episodes and stopped but second part looks like it's being received a lot better, I'm having second thoughts.

only one, I don't care which one has more sakuga, I'm looking for entertainment. thx
4-yama no susume

Chariot

Get on it after your watchbet then!
Meh, I'll see. There are so many shows out there @.@

Not just her attitude, it seems.
What does that mean?
I actually like her cute moments, especially when they do that weird zoom in her mouth to herself. It's just that her lax way of handle everything together with the fact that she unleashed the dark powers upon the world, irritate me.

Or... do you want me to romantically desire her? I tell you, she is a bad waifu.
Chariot and TUSR are so adorable, i hope they both win senpai's heart~
I want cajun in my harem together with you and Sabre. :<

fertygo

Hime is annoying me, but I understand she just spoilt 13 year old girl.. and she does putting work to condemn that.

Nah, the character weren't as memorable even at this point.. the villain trio is for example is not as entertaining than Cobraja, Kumojacky and Sasorina and the high point isn't measureable, every encounter with Dark Precure in HC stumps both encounter with Precure Hunter in HapCha. Hapcha is very great so far though.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nah, the character weren't as memorable even at this point.. the villain trio is for example is not as entertaining than Cobraja, Kumojacky and Sasorina and the high point isn't measureable, every encounter with Dark Precure in HC stumps both encounter with Precure Hunter in HapCha. Hapcha is very great so far though.
While Heartcatch had the right ingredients, it struggled to produce anything consistently entertaining for a long time, both in terms of action and antics. The rigid formula and stiff writing made things a chore until it gradually loosened up. HapCha's main flaws have been playing it too safe and its run of bad animation direction, but it has managed to be consistently entertaining using its strong cast with only a few off episodes.

Shergal

throw me a BONE

You sayin' sakuga is not entertaining!?

throw me a BONE

Space Dandy is the most entertaining of those shows, even if the first season is pretty inconsistent. Chaika is decent, but stay away from Captain Earth.

Vylash

I remember nothing of Heartcatch so i will rewatch it to determine once and for all if it's as good as the people constantly singing it's praises say it is, you're welcome

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Space Dandy is the most entertaining of those shows, even if the first season is pretty inconsistent. Chaika is decent, but stay away from Captain Earth.
Captain Earth isn't that terrible, but it's definitely same-y. The story has it's highs and lows, but definitely affected by the same-yness. There are a couple of solid episodes and the animation is mostly very nice.

Out of those 3 I'd definitely recommend Space Dandy. Captain Earth #2.

Chariot

throw me a BONE

Space Dandy isn't much different in what it does. Every episode is different and it will stay hit or miss. I think of it generally as entertaining, but I know that not all people enjoy it.
Captain Earth is pretty boring, but if you enjoyed the Pokemon anime, you can enjoy Captain Earth.
I didn't actualy watch Chaika far, but people said, it would be good. So get Dandy or Chaika or better: ask for other shows.

jgminto

throw me a BONE

Cap'n Earth a shit

Dandy is inconsistently great first season and consistently great so far the second season. Haven't watched Chaika because lolis and neets.

fertygo

While Heartcatch had the right ingredients, it struggled to produce anything consistently entertaining for a long time, both in terms of action and antics. The rigid formula and stiff writing made things a chore until it gradually loosened up. HapCha's main flaws have been playing it too safe and its run of bad animation direction, but it has managed to be consistently entertaining using its strong cast with only a few off episodes.

While I maybe like Hapcha's filler more than HeartCatch but like I said the high point is the different, HC have 2-4 Episode of the year material in first half (all three Umakoshi's eps was great, and like I'm saying HC Handling D Precure much better than Hapcha handling Iona and P hunter.)

Maybe its just me but I prefer one show that provide better high point than better consistency, also I think HC handling addition to the party much better, Hapcha team chemistry kinda slog a bit since Yuuyuu joining although she not a bad addition, Megumi and her kinda redundant in many spot because they both playing "softie" role to Hime, but its recently pick up again for the team dynamic since Iona got more screentime after eps 17, but eps 11-17 is certainly low point for Hapcha.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
ferygo: The first Dark Precure episode also had the main bad guy choosing not to win at the end for no reason whatsoever, and complications that would come up later weren't even an issue. It was incredibly dumb.

Also, Megumi is the outgoing go-getter, while Yuuyuu plays a more supporting role. By contrast to Hime they seem similar but they fulfill different roles and personalities.

throw me a BONE

edit: I consider every and all responses even if not included here, including the one below this post!
Chaika is the most BEST of the bunch. Captain Earth starts strong and crashed hard up to where I dropped it.

/XX/

I don't know about this thread title. Feels like some pressure!
Just Do It.&#8482;

http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2...yzx1rm4wgqo2_1280_by_leseanthomas-d7q6472.jpg

On the left is LeSean Thomas, Director and Producer of Black Dynamite (on Adult Swim) amongst other things. Do y'all recognize the man on the right? Why it's none other than
Hiroyuki Imaishi
. Never knew what he looked like until now. This is a pic of them together in Japan (exactly where is unclear). Apparently they are working together on something that will be revealed in the coming months.
I've seen this pop up a few places, but I've never seen a source. Do you have one?
Oh, wow, that's really cool. I follow LeSean on a few places and he sounds like a pretty good dude. I'm pretty 50/50 on Black Dynamite, but the guy has great tastes.
Ah ok so he does mention some sort of project. I wonder if it could be something like Thomas working on Ninja Slayer. Seems way too early for a new project from Imaishi so I can see one party working on the other's show(I know Imaishi isn't directing Ninja Slayer but he could be helping to recruit animators).
It's really easy to see staff of Black Dynamite contributing in some way to a project like Ninja Slayer since they're pretty similar in concept; they're both pulpy parody of an older genre.
Guys, LeSean Thomas (@LeSeanThomas) explained it all on his replies from twitter. He was at USPI's offices visiting SANZIGEN (as Hiroaki Matsuura explained too) & TRIGGER Inc., and Thomas Romain from SATELIGHT Inc., at their offices as well to talk about a business project. With him taking the expenses to make it to them, while also mentioning convincing Mr. Imaishi to work on Black Dynamite (maybe this said only as a hopeful remark, not sure), feels like a collaboration one-off to be done for the American side could be on the works... probably for an episode on the upcoming season of said LeSean's series.

What's even more, BahiJD was also with him on the trip... hanging along the aforementioned on a very special sketching session, for example.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 23:

Ah yes, this was truly crafted in a different time where a grown man and a junior high school student could earnestly be in love and nobody would bat an eye. Also, Mamoru and Maokoi are both wearing some of the downright ugliest shirts I have ever seen. Anyway, the Sailor Moon series clearly has confidence in its own storytelling at this point and for the first time the Scouts and indeed their civilian counterparts are presented with a genuine moral dilemma that has no easy answers and that is quite wondrous indeed. It is also nice that the moral quandary is only not resolved but is deepened as a shot at redemption is presented. Yes, clearly Sailor Moon was elevating itself to new levels with this arc and it shows. Highest possible recommendation and one of the best episodes of the season really.

zulux21

With Nozaki-kun, Barakamon, Sabagebu!, (and sometimes when Space Dandy happens to be funny, like the last one) this is the season of comedy.

you forgot love stage, it's decently funny as well
and to a lesser extent.... tokyo ghoul... as some moments are so bad they are funny :p

Yep ..the fact that despite her clumsiness , she went in to fight after she lost most of her things make it ok in my book.
Yep. i'm on that side too.Hapcha has a much better first half that heartcatch
I climbed a mountain when I was in school. For some reason I thought it would be a good idea to drink cordial during the climb. It was the most dehydrated I'd ever been in my life.
Cordial exist in real life ?
I always thought it was a overpriced drink in final fantasy 14.

New thread already? What happened?!

Unfortunate side effect of a war between maidens trying to reach their sempai heart.

Now, granted, I don't have high hopes of Hapcha's second half topping Heartcatch's, but we'll see.

Indeed that's what i'm afraid of.

For exemple dokidoki took a nosedive in his second half it was ridiculous how the character devellopement and the teamwork went

I can only hope they avoid this minefield but since we're heading toward
a multi layered love triangle
i'm not sure witch road is better.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Nah, what I mean is that HapCha likely won't do anything too rash or risky. While this prevents it from sucking outright rather well, it also keeps it from hitting particular highs.

Of course, you're right in that the developing love polygon isn't in keeping with these expectations, but they can still keep it from going too far to be anything remarkable.

I mean I'm not laughing out loud as much as giggling. Very few anime have made me genuinely chuckle though. First season of seitokai yakuindomo, gintama, go to dmc, Cromartie high are some of the few. Nozaki-kun has been getting there at points though. Barack Obama has now made it very clear it's more about the slice of life feel good aspect than laugh out loud comedy.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 24

This is basically the second part ans things continue directly off the previous episode and brings the Nephrite arc to its climax as all of the linger plot threads reach their logical conclusion. I will state right now that it is a testament to the writing prowess of this program that they managed to get a heavy emotional investment in the
Nephrite-Naru pairing
in only the span of a two episodes. Sure, it has been something that had been part of the arc, but like everything else it was in the background of the monster of the week formula. Indeed the team here shows they they can handle heavy emotions like melancholy and bitter-sweetness with a very deft hand. Also worth mentioning is just how violent this got,
Nephrite gets four plant spears pierces through his chest and there is quite a lot of blood,
really some scenes look like they come from DBZ or One Piece, it is quite impressive and I am now wondering how this looked on American TV. Anyway, this along with the previous episode has been the pinnacle of season one by a long shot and should not be missed, once again highest possible recommendation.

I was looking up Blood+ to see if it had been released on Blu-ray. Has the Japanese home video market pretty much stopped releasing upscales of SD content?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom