• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah now I remember episode 150 of Gintama.

tumblr_m05u8gYHVB1r9bn1so9_400.gif

Man was it hilarious.

javac

New Artwork:
Tokyo Ghoul: Season 1 [FUNimation]
Runtime: 300 min
Audio: English: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Japanese: Dolby TrueHD 2.0
Subtitles: English
Format: Four-disc set (2 BDs, 2 DVDs)
Region: A|B|1|2|4
Release: Sep 22, 2015
SRP: Standard $64.98 / Limited $69.98
Special Features:
  • Episode Commentaries
  • Kaneki in Black and White
  • Japanese Commercials
  • Promotional Videos
  • Preview Collection
  • Textless Opening Songs
  • Textless Closing Songs
  • U.S. Trailer
  • Trailers
Price: Standard Edition: $48.74 @ funimation.com
Price: Limited Edition: $52.49 @ funimation.com
s0vOov5.jpg

COLLECTOR'S EDITION
SRP: $129.98
Contents:
  • Contains episodes 1-12
  • All on-disc extras from the standard edition
  • Series art book
  • Ghoul bandanna-mask
  • Kaneki's journal
  • Art card
  • Clear sleeve
  • Specialty print
  • Collector's box
Price: $97.49 @ funimation.com
FDVLral.jpg

Joe Molotov

I need to celebrate this 4th of July with some top-shelf ecchi, what are some of the best shows from the past few years? I've been looking at "I Couldn't Become a Hero, etc, etc." and "New Sister Testment Whatever" but I don't know if those are actually any good or not. Tell me what do, GAF.

Cornbread78

I need to celebrate this 4th of July with some top-shelf ecchi, what are some of the best shows from the past few years? I've been looking at "I Couldn't Become a Hero, etc, etc." and "New Sister Testment Whatever" but I don't know if those are actually any good or not. Tell me what do, GAF.

To Love Ru

cajunator

Banned
My main issue is that I can totally see folks using it thinking it works for everyone, and instead spoiling those who are on mobile big time. This is bad programming, you don't implement a feature that only half-works... Plus I can totally see people abusing it for other purposes, other than hiding spoilers. Really bad idea in my honest opinion.

Im kind of worried about this too.

Thoraxes

To Love Ru Darkness Season 1 Bluray only is tip tier. Also the OVAs. Best smut to story ratio bar none.

Other okay ones:

Motto to Love Ru + OVAs
To Love Ru + OVAs
Ladies versus Butlers + Specials
Kanokon.
Maken-Ki S1 S2
High school DxD S1 S2 S3
Juuden Chan OVAs and Series
Kiss x Sis OVAs and TV series
Kampfer

Read Prison School

Squishy3

Think I'll start Oremonogatari and Gatchaman since people seem to think highly of them.

I tried to watch Prisma Ilya but as soon as I hit play I heard police sirens in the distance and got scared.
Gatchaman is worth it just to hear Okabe Rintarou ham it up even harder as Berg Katze.

Also G-G-G-G-GATCHAMAAAAAAAAAAN

New Artwork:

COLLECTOR'S EDITION

The sad thing is I'm gonna end up buying the BD for Tokyo Ghoul.

I might end up even buying Root A just for the special ending song too.

Now Funimation where is my Barakamon BD release. Also thanks for this post javac.

Puruzi

Banned

Kagatsu na Yatsura. Trust me on this. Watch that OVA.

Kagaku na Yatsura

kewlmyc

Sword Art Online Fairy Dance Arc

Came in here expecting the worse, and thought it was decent. It was watchable and I don't completely regret watching it. However, those who hate it, I fully understand why. There's a bunch of issues, it's hard to care about the tribulations of a certain character, Asuna's treatment is just fucking terrible, and episode 24 is a huge piece of shit. HUGE piece of shit. But like the first arc, the animation, fights, and music once again shined through most the major issues with this arc. The world building wasn't as great as SAO though. That's pretty much it for the good points, but those 3 points are pretty crucial in my enjoyment of this arc.

Now for the terrible. First off, I found it really, really hard to give a shit about Suguha. I gave a shit more about her high pitched annoying friend than I did her. It's mostly because I didn't care about her major issue, the fact that she had feelings for brother. OH WAIT, I'M SORRY, HER COUSIN. Doesn't count as family, I guess. When a character's whole existence is focused around something as pandering and shallow as unrequited feeling of incestuous love, it's hard to care about them, imo. Why do you love him again? Because he was nice to you when he came back from SAO? Sure whatever. I wouldn't have cared if her feelings were the entire secondary focus of this arc. Just ugh, you can tell the author was a teen when he wrote this (apparently). So yeah, no love for Suguha at all.

And probably the worst is the whole treatment of Asuna. Asuna was pretty cool character in SAO. She was decent when interacting with Kirito, but by herself, she was good. A good character in concept. It's sad to see her demoted to "creepy Princess Peach" status this arc. There was potential when she broke out of her cage, but all that went out of the window the moment she got captured by two scientists who had impractical tentacle slug avatars because why the fuck not. Then we get treated to a tentacle molestation scene for some reason. Awesome! :/ All leading up to the crowning moment of awesome of her getting molested by poorly written big bad in front of her hero, Kirito (all whille epic music plays, shit was weird). I'm fine with subject matter like this when it's treated with some decency and written by a competent writer, but we don't have that luxury here. Her molestation is used to power up the MC with the power of anger. I'm not even going to bother discussing Kirito teaming up with the guy who killed 4000 innocent people for shits and giggles. It's to be expected that Kirito gets bs power ups, so that didn't really upset me. Then afterward, Kirito is the one who need comforting after that whole ordeal? Fucking wow.

I swear the author has no idea how to end an arc. How an arc can be doing decently until the climax and shit the bed so hard is baffling. He did the same thing in the previous arc too. I'm just going to assume the next arc is going to have a bullshit climax as well.

All and all, I don't regret watching this due to the animation and music and seeing childhood dreams of living in an MMO world come to life like that. It's just when we get to the actual story and writing, it's just mediocre with an insulting climax. If someone wants me to ever recommend a MMO based anime to them, I'll probably recommend Log Horizon first. If they don't like it, then I'll recommend SAO as a backup. Hopefully GGO is better.

6/10.

javac

Hopefully once the Ranma 1/2 Blu-rays are all out Viz can get onto releasing another old classic on Blu-ray
Maison Ikkoku
please, thanks.

Squishy3

When there was the "Wait... you're... him?" moment I called bullshit because apparently I missed something and assumed she knew that he was Kirito the entire time and it was too awkward for her to get to know him in real-life after the whole SAO trapped incident so she bonded with him in the game instead. (Because you know, his MMO character IS literally him. At least Suguha looks nothing like Leafa, so it's entirely probable he didn't know it was her.)

Which I guess I'm an idiot but that also would have been half-decent writing but I guess I ended up expecting too much.

John Blade

Hopefully once the Ranma 1/2 Blu-rays are all out Viz can get onto releasing another old classic on Blu-ray
Maison Ikkoku
please, thanks.

Man....how much I spend on Maison Ikkoku is crazy. Will double dip for the Blu-ray as it have already been release in Japan for a while now.

IMG_20141023_1901037891_zps67e3d1b4.jpg

Arcadius

Banned
Maison Ikkoku
please, thanks.

Viz needs to get their crap together and work on getting Full Moon o Sagashite out the door in a complete package. . . . .

Its kind of funny seeing in the HULU What Do I Do With All This Anime email that Punchline is featured, along with FLCL, Cowboy Bebop, Naruto Shippuden, Shingeki, and other popular ones.

cajunator

Banned
Depressing x ∞. We can do it, I know AnimeGAF can prevail Summer, don't lose hope folks!

We can make it!

Think I'll start Oremonogatari and Gatchaman since people seem to think highly of them.

I tried to watch Prisma Ilya but as soon as I hit play I heard police sirens in the distance and got scared.

You dont have to worry. If they go after anyone at all it would be me because I actually bought the blurays!

cajunator

Banned

Came in here expecting the worse, and thought it was decent. It was watchable and I don't completely regret watching it. However, those who hate it, I fully understand why. There's a bunch of issues, it's hard to care about the tribulations of a certain character, Asuna's treatment is just fucking terrible, and episode 24 is a huge piece of shit. HUGE piece of shit. But like the first arc, the animation, fights, and music once again shined through most the major issues with this arc. The world building wasn't as great as SAO though. That's pretty much it for the good points, but those 3 points are pretty crucial in my enjoyment of this arc.

Now for the terrible. First off, I found it really, really hard to give a shit about Suguha. I gave a shit more about her high pitched annoying friend than I did her. It's mostly because I didn't care about her major issue, the fact that she had feelings for brother. OH WAIT, I'M SORRY, HER COUSIN. Doesn't count as family, I guess. When a character's whole existence is focused around something as pandering and shallow as unrequited feeling of incestuous love, it's hard to care about them, imo. Why do you love him again? Because he was nice to you when he came back from SAO? Sure whatever. I wouldn't have cared if her feelings were the entire secondary focus of this arc. Just ugh, you can tell the author was a teen when he wrote this (apparently). So yeah, no love for Suguha at all.

And probably the worst is the whole treatment of Asuna. Asuna was pretty cool character in SAO. She was decent when interacting with Kirito, but by herself, she was good. A good character in concept. It's sad to see her demoted to "creepy Princess Peach" status this arc. There was potential when she broke out of her cage, but all that went out of the window the moment she got captured by two scientists who had impractical tentacle slug avatars because why the fuck not. Then we get treated to a tentacle molestation scene for some reason. Awesome! :/ All leading up to the crowning moment of awesome of her getting molested by poorly written big bad in front of her hero, Kirito (all whille epic music plays, shit was weird). I'm fine with subject matter like this when it's treated with some decency and written by a competent writer, but we don't have that luxury here. Her molestation is used to power up the MC with the power of anger. I'm not even going to bother discussing Kirito teaming up with the guy who killed 4000 innocent people for shits and giggles. It's to be expected that Kirito gets bs power ups, so that didn't really upset me. Then afterward, Kirito is the one who need comforting after that whole ordeal? Fucking wow.

I swear the author has no idea how to end an arc. How an arc can be doing decently until the climax and shit the bed so hard is baffling. He did the same thing in the previous arc too. I'm just going to assume the next arc is going to have a bullshit climax as well.

All and all, I don't regret watching this due to the animation and music and seeing childhood dreams of living in an MMO world come to life like that. It's just when we get to the actual story and writing, it's just mediocre with an insulting climax. If someone wants me to ever recommend a MMO based anime to them, I'll probably recommend Log Horizon first. If they don't like it, then I'll recommend SAO as a backup. Hopefully GGO is better.

6/10.

All of this reminds me why I dropped this show halfway. I feel confident that I made the right decision. SaO2 feels much less like a mistake.

Arcadius

Banned
We can make it!

You dont have to worry. If they go after anyone at all it would be me because I actually bought the blurays!

Good man Cajun, Prisma Ilya in Bluray form is the best way to appreciate the series!

And we most definitely can make it.

Arcadius

Banned
I just want to give thanks to Puruzi, Cajun, MetroidPrimeRib, Mandelbo, AquaWateria AngryGrimace, Cornbread, MikeHattsu, Thanatos and TUSR.... Thank you.

Quasar

To Love Ru Darkness Season 1 Bluray only is tip tier. Also the OVAs. Best smut to story ratio bar none.

Other okay ones:

Motto to Love Ru + OVAs
To Love Ru + OVAs
Ladies versus Butlers + Specials
Maken-Ki S1 S2
High school DxD S1 S2 S3

I like 'They Are My Noble Masters' too.

cajunator

Banned
Maison Ikkoku
please, thanks.

They need to rerelease Full Moon first and make up for what they did before!

Viz needs to get their crap together and work on getting Full Moon o Sagashite out the door in a complete package. . . . .

See Arcy knows!

Quasar

My Story 13 - I think I'm done. I've been losing interest episode by episode and I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch 13. Not that its gotten bad or even worse I guess. Its just too samey. I guess I need something to shake it up. Maybe I'm just so used to conflict in even romantic comedies that this level of niceness is somehow offputting.

Tuck

6/10.
My biggest problem with this arc was that elfheim just outright did not matter. They lazily throw in some war between factions but it all was just so lifeless. There was no world building, no sense of place.

Not that aincrad was much better at this mind you, but at least the main facet of the gameplay (get to the top) felt important. In elfheim it was a means to an end and treated as such.

Also, tentacle scene.

zulux21

Maison Ikkoku
please, thanks.

I don't even care if it's on blu, I just want them to rerelease that one in general because i would have to sell my car to be able to afford it on used dvds :/

Cornbread78

I just want to give thanks to Puruzi, Cajun, MetroidPrimeRib, Mandelbo, AquaWateria AngryGrimace, Cornbread, MikeHattsu, Thanatos and TUSR.... Thank you.
tumblr_n72jzc4DHp1rtkd6fo1_500.gif

For what though brotha?

I just want to say I'm in love with Itazura na Kiss... It got good in the feels department. ..

Zephyx

Subscribed.

To Watch List:
God Eater
Prison School
Soma (i'm about 4-5 episodes late)

Not Sure
Monster Musume

I'll still check the full list later but am I right in assuming there is no heavy romance anime this season?

Subscribed.

To Watch List:
God Eater
Prison School
Soma (i'm about 4-5 episodes late)

Not Sure
Monster Musume

I'll still check the full list later but am I right in assuming there is no heavy romance anime this season?
Off the top of my head, there's a bunch of slice of life like Charlotte, but Classroom Crisis specifically has "romance" as one of its genres. I'm giving it a shot

The ALO arc of SAO would have been so much better had they dropped the serious tone in general and actually made people act like they were in an MMO now that there were no consequences.

It would have created some decent juxtaposition between Kirito and the rest of the world he was in. He'd be trying to desperately find information to save his girlfriend while the rest of the world is so busy caught up in the fun of it all to care.

Baalzebup

Thoraxes' masterlist in missing Hagure Yuusha No Aesthetica. Tits and OP, trollish main character.

TUSR

Banned
I know some people actually use the OP

for those who do, do you want this seasons new simulcasts mixed with returning shows, or have them separate like they already are?

Edit: I also de-weeb'ed some of the titles too

Zephyx

Off the top of my head, there's a bunch of slice of life like Charlotte, but Classroom Crisis specifically has "romance" as one of its genres. I'm giving it a shot

Thanks. Might give them both a try if I'm not too occupied with work as I can only fit in 1-2 episodes in my weekdays. I want to add Working!!! too but I still haven't watched the first two seasons so maybe I should rectify that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom