• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

Honestly I really love the manga for Prison School and think its amazing but I can definitely understand why some people may not like it or look forward to it. I mean the series plays the fanservice as a joke but some people find it terrible even if its a joke. Plus some may find the excessive fanservice and fetishes disturbing such as the Vice President's huge proportions and the sweat mixed in. Some may find it hilarious but others may think otherwise.

I didn't even realize prison school was trying to be a comedy until you guys told me it was lol.

it has a few amusing moments but they are very few and far between. the main reason I continued reading for a while was because I was curious what excuse the creator would use to set up the next fetish, as the set up for each scene like that was about the only interesting thing to prison school, beyond that I didn't really like any of the characters or the story. The art is decent though.

My main issue is that I can totally see folks using it thinking it works for everyone, and instead spoiling those who are on mobile big time. This is bad programming, you don't implement a feature that only half-works... Plus I can totally see people abusing it for other purposes, other than hiding spoilers. Really bad idea in my honest opinion.

I don't disagree. To be fair I have never been a big fan of how neogaf does spoilers in general. I much prefer the create a spoiler button to press and hide whatever you want behind that button way of doing spoilers as it makes it so there aren't giant posts of spoilered text but merely a button to press to reveal a giant post.

duckroll

https://twitter.com/lxmonadx/status/616338552394125312/photo/1

R1VXPz2.jpg

Cornbread78

if you browse on the regular site on your mobile device it works, but not only is the feature not working on the mobile site, there aren't any plans to make it work on there either. Thus my previous thoughts of hiding spoilers behind there were obviously misguided. It's still not a bad thing to have for the regular site, people just have to keep in mind that not everyone will see it as a spoiler.

If this is the case, how about we not do this in here. I do about 90% of my browsing on the mobile site.

I'm trying to enjoy my Canada Day.

Don't get this thread locked.

Think before you post.
I was celebrating Canada day with my family by eating some great Portuguese food outdoors (very Canadian right), drinking some Porto wine, I go on my phone to check what everyone is up to and this is what I see.

God Eater game is gonna get announced at AX. I have a feeling. It's now or never. DO IT BAMCO.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Non Non Biyori S2 awww yisssss!

Seriously cannot wait for Prison School, probably my most anticipated show this season aside from Dragonball Super.

cajunator

Banned
It doesn't even work for me, I click the spoiler and the image doesn't open up. Probably for the best, the browser overlords have showered mercy upon me.
EDIT: Fuck, it works now. Damn you.

doesnt work on a mobile browser. I tested dolphin and chrome

Ushio and Tora any good?

yeah it is hilarious and has great action too

just today i was asking "how could neogaf implement the more undesirable parts of chan image boards with even less functionality to be abused by people with no concept of comedy?"

what a wonderful feature.

Dimb why do you ALWAYS have to be negative? It is very concerning. I hope you are alright.

Crocodile

No, I think you're completely misunderstanding this. It was not the director, it was the writer, and he was talking about this as an upcoming project he was working on, without even specifying that it was an anime. This was not a promotional interview where he said "this show is like Watchmen yo!" but a general interview about writing and superhero settings (this was a tokusatsu magazine, targeting readers who are interested in stuff like Ultraman, Kamen Rider, and [Whatever] Rangers shows).

Like I said, the inspiration is about the setting, not the characters. The heroes were mentioned as being distinctly Japanese type heroes. The important point here is the premise of "how would a modern society deal with superheroes showing up over a period of time and becoming a management problem for authorities", and also the "alternate history" hook. Those are the inspirations from Watchmen.

As far as being political and edgy, I think you can fully expect that. Mizushima and Aikawa has never done anything together which isn't political and edgy, and even on their own with different directors/writers, they bring that sensibility with them. Mind you, the quality is not necessarily good, but the intent is there.

Mizushima and Aikawa working together brought us the "amazing" nazis in the original FMA, and the quirky but muddled social commentary on the Japanese political system by transplanting Meiji-era detective stories into a futuristic setting in Un-Go. Mizushima also tackled a lot of current socio-political issues (badly) in Gundam 00, while Aikawa did the same (with even worse results!) in Eureka Seven AO. So I'll be really surprised if there isn't a heavy handed element of commentary and edginess in this show as well.

The way your earlier posts sounded, it seemed the writer (my mistake) was directly comparing this work in both tone and inspiration to Watchmen. So was he not doing that or, rather, in the interview did he specially say the show is like "these elements of Watchmen but not those elements of Watchmen"?

As for the writing in general, being "edgy" with younger characters tends to work out worse more often than not as opposed to if they used adult characters. Some of those shows you cited, I'm not going to lie, they don't fill me with the most confidence that this project is going to be written well :p

Honestly I really love the manga for Prison School and think its amazing but I can definitely understand why some people may not like it or look forward to it. I mean the series plays the fanservice as a joke but some people find it terrible even if its a joke. Plus some may find the excessive fanservice and fetishes disturbing such as the Vice President's huge proportions and the sweat mixed in. Some may find it hilarious but others may think otherwise.

I'm sorry but Prison School looks very unappealing to me to say the least. If I wanted to speak about how I truly feel about it, my vocabulary might become a bit too colorful so I'll leave it there.

I know that there's more to it but that doesn't change a thing for me. Regardless, for people who are interested in it I'm not going to rain on your parade, I'm sure people are excited to check it out but you can't be surprised at people who are repulsed/put off at the sight of it and its strange to be shocked at the response it gets although I bet its disappointing and frustrating for the fans of the series who don't give it a chance. At the end, its obviously a show that's supposed to shock, so yeah. That's all. Have fun.

I don't begrudge people for not liking it or for that the IP might exceed personal fanservice limits. I just get the impression that people might be dismissing it as one of those 3541325353 other trashy, fanservicy shows that have no redeeming value outside boobs and I don't want this show grouped them. It has boobs a plenty but there is actual substance to the manga (and I'd hope anime).

"Prison School: It's a good game anime/manga!"

Or at the very least there is actually something of worth beneath the surface.

Firemind

Guys, guys. If it's not an actual spoiler, don't spoiler it. You're making us browse through large empty posts and it doesn't even shrink the v-scroll.

unless your aim is to troll people. in that case w/e.

Crocodile

I keep checking this thread hoping for the DBS simulcast/dub announcement, summer anime don't start till then.

If I can't watch that with official subs come Sunday on any streaming service online regardless of whether or not I have a subscription (or Spanish if I was in SA, or French if I was in France or the Caribbean, etc.) then EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THE ANIME INDUSTRY (HERE OR ABROAD) SHOULD LOSE THEIR JOBS IMMEDIATELY!

It's fucking Dragon Ball! It really shouldn't be that hard :(

Speaking of which, Gangsta aired today! Why doesn't Funi have subs up for that up yet? Fuck Funimation!

zulux21

I keep checking this thread hoping for the DBS simulcast/dub announcement, summer anime don't start till then.
there is a db super OT and that is where I will be posting any news that I get from funimation :p
If I had to guess Funimation has it and probably going to announce it at AX.

My guess is they have simulcast rights but not dub cast rights

as much as I would love a dub cast I have a feeling a tv deal would be worth more money to funimation, and funimation will pick money over getting a show to their devoted fans as fast as possible.

Droplet

On the topic of spoilers, has that icon always shown up when trying to click on spoiler text? Aside from the massive amounts of blank lines surrounding the spoiler part on images, it doesn't seem like there's much to differentiate between an image and text. Plus the empty posts are kind of a pain to look at.

I'm wondering (completely bsing here) if there could be some kind of css that could perhaps create a box to show where the image is instead? Although I'm struggling to think of any way that you could click without there being an image there, and having a default spoiler image would probably eat up bandwidth. I suppose filters do exist too, but that wouldn't work for every file and definitely not every browser. And then there's mobile consideration too. Hmm.

Arcadius

Banned
On the topic of spoilers, has that icon always shown up when trying to click on spoiler text? Aside from the massive amounts of blank lines surrounding the spoiler part on images, it doesn't seem like there's much to differentiate between an image and text. Plus the empty posts are kind of a pain to look at.

I personally don't ever remember seeing a spoiler icon show up when you highlight spoiler tagged posts, I think that's new.

I'm wondering (completely bsing here) if there could be some kind of css that could perhaps create a box to show where the image is instead? Although I'm struggling to think of any way that you could click without there being an image there, and having a default spoiler image would probably eat up bandwidth. I suppose filters do exist too, but that wouldn't work for every file and definitely not every browser. And then there's mobile consideration too. Hmm.

Should be easy , in theory , you need to add a border css effect to the spoiler class.

So this is what happens when Funimation licenses 20 anime for streaming. I mean they haven't even subbed Gangsta which already aired today.

Midonin

This has happened before. Garo, Yuri Kuma, various other shows have all taken a few days to start streaming from their initial announcements. Getting materials and translating takes some time. As long as they can settle into a regular pattern by episode 2 or 3, all's fine.

Gintama 150 END

I'm surprised they didn't use the Mobile Suit Gundam ending as one of the endings. The Evangelion one was probably the best parody I've ever seen of that ending since Hasegawa voices Gendo and he uses the same voice, lol.

I wish there were more episodes, guess it's time to read the manga!

cajunator

Banned
Gintama 150 END

I'm surprised they didn't use the Mobile Suit Gundam ending as one of the endings. The Evangelion one was probably the best parody I've ever seen of that ending since Hasegawa voices Gendo and he uses the same voice, lol.

I wish there were more episodes, guess it's time to read the manga!

What? There's like 264 episodes of Gintama unless I'm mistaken on something.

Edit* Oh fuck I just forgot about that episode ahahahaha.

Pundere

Think I'll start Oremonogatari and Gatchaman since people seem to think highly of them.

I tried to watch Prisma Ilya but as soon as I hit play I heard police sirens in the distance and got scared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom