• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
now you know why I've been so confident in the SO threads.

I love this game. It's one of the best games we've ever made.

excited for everyone to get to play it!

83 with 28 reviews looks great and just what I predicted :)

Still another 20 or 30 before it's finalized though

Great for Insomniac though

VLiberty

:)

We made what we wanted to make.

Glad other people are finding it so rad.

Happiness!

I was always under the impression that the missteps you did last gen were due to trying to listen too much to what people wanted. I mean, it's a good thing to listen to community, but some times people doesn't know what they really want and the result may be messy. So I'm happy to hear that you did just what you wanted to make with this game.

I (probably) won't be able to play it, but I wish you the best of luck with SO. :D

Izuna

Banned

I'm hoping the weapons are awesome. Only game I played from you guys was Residence 1, and those weapons were awesome.

You must have had a lot of fun making this though!

The only review that matters

Seriously though my wallet after the next few months

empty-wallet1.jpg

L9cwwWC.gif

Same...

I don't own an Xbox One, but I'm all for game developers going balls out on creativity and making a labour of love (when they can).

So if this game lives up to the strong reviews its getting, I hope it does well in the market.

My impressions after completing the main story and doing all of the side content

God dammit this game is great.

But for me personally it didn't happen until the 8th hour. I had a combat encounter with a large herd of enemies, and everything clicked. I finally got the game. Up until that point I "got the game", I moved around, shot things and did what the game asked me to. But after those hours I had a revelatory moment, it was this weird Metrix Neo moment, where I suddenly started seeing movement opportunities everywhere, saw how I could use the world around me to do more damage faster then ever before.

I started to move much more controlled and calmly during combat scenarios, and I felt like I finally understood what game Insoniac had made. Which is probably also why they didn't release a demo, because it takes a much larger time investment to appriciate the game. It's closer to things like Spelunky and the Souls games in that way, you have to invest a lot of time to understand the game, how it works and then everything just suddenly clicks and you get it. And then the game becomes something entirely different.

So I really liked the game. It takes some time getting to understand what type of game it actually is, but when it really clicks it works. The combat is good, there's a ton of weapons and room enough to find a set of eight that really work with your play style, combined with the different amps (which is my only negative point towards the game, it feels undercooked to me. Needed more amps and perhaps a seperate levelling up system).

Game length: I know a bunch of people really care about this, and the game is around 15 hours if you blast through and really focus on nothing but the main stuff. Which would be sad, since the side content is really well done (especially the entire mission dedicated to poke fun at focus tests and probably also Overstrike).

Framerate - Super stable, I only had it dip once in my 25 hours with hour with the game which is fine for me. Cutscene animations are a tiny bit lackluster, but everything else shines. There's a surprisingly large amount of diversity in the environments, and points to Insomniac for holding a lot of stuff back for the game.

I'm not particularly surprised. From the moment it was shown it looked way closer to what Insomniac is comfortable with and you could see that this was the game they wanted to make.

Rembrandt

Banned

I've read so much negative shit about gaming recently, so it's refreshing to see this. Congrats on all of yall success. Now that the games out, any word on demo? Would be nice to let people get a quick feel for it. Pull a dead rising and smack a timer on the demo or something.

Dabanton

Congrats to you guys.

I feel on here some threads have plunged into needless negativity for obvious reasons...

Great to see a new IP do well review wise.

Top Bottom