• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
website is advertising the game. that promotion is earning them money. website is reviewing said game with expectation of impartiality. there is a conflict of interest.

regardless, plenty other places are giving it high reviews so that's a good sign i suppose.
I was under the impression that Google AdSense (or what that type of thing is called) for targeted marketing would come into play a lot here, tour looking at a SSO ready, therefore it will try to sell it too you, is that now how most advertising on the net works, by targeting the users browsing habits? Doesn't mean you could go our t and buy it or the website isn't trust worthy though.

Back on topic, I thought it might hit around the 85-90 mark, I have already prepurchased as I was looking for something new and different!

Grats Insomniac!

Guerrilla

now you know why I've been so confident in the SO threads.

I love this game. It's one of the best games we've ever made.

excited for everyone to get to play it!

Nice that your hard work paid off!

giphy.gif

Now go have a drink on this joyous occasion, you guys deserve it!

I'll admit that I was really, really skeptical of this game, especially after FUSE. I remember saying to you, specifically, that I didn't believe the game wouldn't undergo the same tone change Overstrike did. Which, you know, FUSE sort of broke my heart because I found Overstrike's original trailer so compelling, so Sunset Overdrive had a lot to prove.

I'm glad you guys put out a good game. And you know what, I wasn't planning to get it, but I feel like I was wrong here and this is apparently a good game, and will go down to Best Buy on Tuesday to pick it up.

Hawk269

As mentioned...very happy for you guys. Glad that you were able to make the game you guys wanted and I only hope that you guys continue to push the limits and make some more new IP's.

BTW...How much additional content will the DLC packs add? When I did my Digital Pre-Order, I just did the regular game, with early impressions and very good reviews, I may send you all more money and buy the season pass, but just curious about the content and how much it adds to the main game.

I never had free access back when I couldn't buy my own games.

If you ever get a chance, give em a try. The weapons in those games are great. Hell, if you don't have the time you can jump in A Crack in Time, just read up on the story a bit and you'll be mostly set

Izuna

Banned
I can't tell from the reviews. What is end game like? After story, will I feel satisfied with an end or will it suck my life out of my soul chasing down 100% completion?

Basically will I ever be "under equipped" to play on and off?

I'd really love to know what the DLC is going to be. If it's SP stuff then I'll bite on the season pass, otherwise I don't know. Anyone know when we might find out more?

Arondight

That's the thing to take away from this. They finally succeeded in owning an IP that actually seems to be good, with the potential to become a solid franchise. So glad they didn't let focus groups push them off the path this time

Yeah, Sunset overdrive looks great. Less Fuse and Resistance. More creative and fun games that used to be Rachet and Spyro.

How is the story and the characters? Is there cool plot twists or awesome memorable characters?

Characters are fine. I wouldn't say the story is crazy deep, but it's there, and boy terrible. It understands that it is a vehicle for mayhem and gets out of the way when it's done being needed.

The characters are fine, some good moments in the middle of you like Insomniacs brand of humour.

Madness

Almost makes me regret possibly selling this when I pick up my bundle on Tuesday. Seems like it hits all the right notes for a fun new IP.

Any reviews that possibly mention campaign length? IGN, Gamespot didn't really mention. Just curious?

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
As mentioned...very happy for you guys. Glad that you were able to make the game you guys wanted and I only hope that you guys continue to push the limits and make some more new IP's.

BTW...How much additional content will the DLC packs add? When I did my Digital Pre-Order, I just did the regular game, with early impressions and very good reviews, I may send you all more money and buy the season pass, but just curious about the content and how much it adds to the main game.

The DLC packs are gonna be cool. I'm really excited about them. Some really neat new stuff being worked on for them

new areas, new story / missions etc

daxter325

Banned
Sunset overdrive has jumped to 17th place at the time of this post on Amazon's best sellers, perhaps the reviews swayed those on the fence.

It's spectacular how much influence reviews have on a buyer's decision. If only Insomniac lifted review embargos earlier to spread the good word of mouth sooner.

Good for insomniac. I knew they still had it. A Crack in Time and R3 are probably in my top 5 PS3 games. It's a shame people wrote them off so quickly.

Putty

MS really have done very well this past month and also next month with Halo. SO isn't something I'd play but clearly it's a very good game. Only thing it needs to do is sell. I think it will have a short window of opportunity before COD and AC arrive but hopefully for Insomniac that short window gains big numbers. I imagine it would be a second choice for peeps after Xmas, so I think it could have longer legs than most.

killatopak

Gold Member
I knew this game would be really good.

I bought every Insomniac game made and so far I was satisfied with every one.
Even Fuse.

The game feels like a Ratchet game ramped up to 11. Good job Insomniac! You deserve this.

So it's as excellent as it looks? Neat.

Though as I'm not buying an Xbox One, I'm almost disappointed. Way easier to accept not getting to play games that only look cool!

Ah well, such is the lot of exclusives. Really hope it sells well, the more games like this out there the better!

Just hope the next Insomniac title is on something I own. Love their games, just not enough to spend £300 pounds for one.

Almost makes me regret possibly selling this when I pick up my bundle on Tuesday. Seems like it hits all the right notes for a fun new IP.

Any reviews that possibly mention campaign length? IGN, Gamespot didn't really mention. Just curious?

20-ish hours. Not sure how long it would take for 100% though.

Top Bottom