• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

Blobbers

79 again, eh I might have been too generous with my initial prediction. Though the most popular sites counted way more, not that they should, mind you.

Bgamer90

Banned
USgamer -- 4.5 out of 5

Sunset Overdrive is a welcome change of pace from the dour, serious AAA games we've been playing all year. Insomniac asks "who do you want to be?" with tons of customization options, some great weapons, and a very physical way to get around the city. The game feels a bit light in the content department, but it's undeniably fun.

Solid scores, and a great return to form for Insomniac. Hopefully, SO is just the base, and the sequels will be way better.

That's the thing to take away from this. They finally succeeded in owning an IP that actually seems to be good, with the potential to become a solid franchise. So glad they didn't let focus groups push them off the path this time

How big is the entire map? Could you compare it to other open world games size?

and is it open to explore from the get go?

Sleeping Dogs-sized? Not super huge. I didn't try, but I also didn't see anything preventing you from going anywhere, so I'll say, open.

Rembrandt

Banned
I guess only marketing could in fairness help, out of these... All the others mean jack shit saleswise.

I hope it sells well, because I had lots of fun with it. But I'm afraid it will drown between the high profile november releases fast

Microsoft has been advertising it hard. I've seen countless commercials on tv and they gave pewdiepie and rooster teeth early copies to play, so that's bound to introduce the game to their huge fanbases. The advertising will probably pick up more now that the reviews are pretty great.

zeromcd73

Thank you Insomniac for saving next gen this year.

Please do it again next year with Ratchet and Clank
Next year is actually looking great and doesn't need saving, but still hoping for an amazing game :)

Danomeon

Neo Member
Yeah, YEAH!

I flipped through some of these reviews and loved what I was hearing. The humor sounds like a point of contention that I was also wary of, but I am willing to look past some mediocre self-depreciation if I get to play a colorful thirdperson shooter with awesome traversal mechanics.

Buying this on Tuesday, for sure.

Izuna

Banned
Are-you-talking-to-me.gif

Lack of difficulty destroys games for myself, but the language that chaos squads can be challenging, just after saying nothing was, sounds poor.

cheezcake

Microsoft has been advertising it hard. I've seen countless commercials on tv and they gave pewdiepie and rooster teeth early copies to play, so that's bound to introduce the game to their huge fanbases. The advertising will probably pick up more now that the reviews are pretty great.

That's cool, its nice seeing any new IP be successful.

Hawk269

:)

We made what we wanted to make.

Glad other people are finding it so rad.

Happiness!

To you and the team, congrats on the earlier review scores and the great scores the game is receiving. I cannot wait until this unlocks so I can play it.

I also find your comment about making the game you wanted to make, it is refreshing to hear something like that because it seems like a lot of games as of late are forced to go into a certain mold.

Congrats again! Hope you guys are working on something as a follow-up.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Very positive reviews. Glad that the critical reception worked out the way it did for Insomniac.

Yeah just saw that. Metacritic is so weird with that. 79 did seem a bit low to me with those reviews anyways. Good for Insomniac then :)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Can go to bed now. From ratchet and clank, to resistance to sunset overdrive, I'll ride with insomniac. My money is already spent in full. Will get Tuesday after work. Congratulations to the insomniac crew.

I'm not surprised. Game always looked incredible and I kept telling y'all it was shaping up to be the greatest game of the year.

That's the thing to take away from this. They finally succeeded in owning an IP that actually seems to be good, with the potential to become a solid franchise. So glad they didn't let focus groups push them off the path this time

One of the benefits of working with MS. They let you realise your vision,

Good guy MS showing what's up.

Top Bottom