• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

i dont have an xbox one (roommate has the ps4 covered) but the one is becoming quite tempting as of late. i thought insomniac would be done after fuse.

im just glad that more good games are coming out on next gen overall. the launch of both systems was a bit lacklusture

Monster Zero

I can't wait till Tuesday. This is probably my most anticipated release this season, I know what bayo and smash and creed are, but this looks like a fresh experience

So....

Forgettable multiplayer isn't something I thought I'd see mentioned. Night Defence as well as Chaos Squad looked pretty damn good and seemed like they added a lot of replayability to the game.

It's David Jenkins too, so I can't dismiss it out of hand. Hmm...

It doesn't feel as awesome as campaign. But I imagine that the multiplayer experience will change dramatically when you only play with friends and not just a random group with James Stevenson screaming at you constantly.

Madness

Who cares? I'm just glad my Twitter hype back in May finally paid off for SO. Very pleased for the Insomniac team.

Yeah, it's great to see a new IP that they can own outright get a lot of love, and hopefully this is something they can now keep cultivating and building.

Are you going to be getting this game? Do you own an Xbox One? Just curious.

Dropping the hammer even at this time of the night! :)

Anyone know what the hell that guy meant by what he said "what a shame"? Scores were good/great, so it could not be that.

Poster was heavily invested in seeing the game fail. That's really the only logical explanation for the post.

def sim

Jeff and Brad, on the bombcast, saying it's not derivative and a game doing its own thing piqued my interest. It's good to see a new IP do well critically and I'll be checking it out for sure.

There was someone in the IGN thread who was actively hoping this game would score worse. Wouldn't be surprised to see that be a sentiment shared among a few.

Like I said, I've seen people lining up to shit on this game. There's a lot of reasons, perceived or otherwise, but it seems like some people really didn't want this game to be good.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, it's great to see a new IP that they can own outright get a lot of love, and hopefully this is something they can now keep cultivating and building.

Are you going to be getting this game? Do you own an Xbox One? Just curious.

The banhammer is a respected job, if he didn't before, he does now.

There was someone in the IGN thread who was actively hoping this game would score worse. Wouldn't be surprised to see that be a sentiment shared among a few.

Like I said,I've seen people lining up to shit on this game. There's a lot of reasons, perceived or otherwise, but it seems like some people really didn't want this game to be good.

It's an Xbox exclusive.

cluderi

Glad to see it reviewing so well, the few comments about the humour being a bit too much for some people means I'll probably hold off (as I'm old, cynical and super serious) but the game looks fantastic in the footage I've seen.

Grats Insomniac.

Aeqvitas

Congrats to Insomniac, I hope this is the start of a great return to form for them. I will definitely be picking this up. Everything I have seen has just been oozes of fun. I hope this game will push a lot of sales in an already crowded holiday season, but I think in terms of quality it easily goes toe to toe with more established IPs.

"Easy. But Choas squads can be hard. But yeah, too easy."

Savedyouaclick

Fucking idiots

Nice, classy.

Glad to see this is getting pretty good scores, still debating between this and Lords of the Fallen for tomorrow. Gonna watch some video reviews of both and see what I'm in the mood for.

It doesn't feel as awesome as campaign. But I imagine that the multiplayer experience will change dramatically when you only play with friends and not just a random group with James Stevenson screaming at you constantly.

I'm hoping that's the case. The multiplayer is where I'm hoping to spend most of my time and something I thought would see the most praise.

PolyG said:
The earliest amps give an electrical punch to your dodge move at level one, a fireball to your melee attack at level two, and an explosion that erupts from bounced-on objects at level three. Later, hitting level three on my combo meter could make lighting strike random enemies from overhead or cause lava to erupt from the ground. This all adds an overarching, immediate sense of reward to basic play that made it hugely satisfying to do well, which is icing on top of how great it all feels already.

my brain is working overtime just imagining how sick this game is going to get

spekkeh

Banned
animation2mnwrl.gif

Haha that gif is amazing.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, color me surprised. I think the game looks shallow and uninteresting, but I'll have to try it out now. I want to like it just because of how gorgeous it is.

Great to see the high reviews.

Played it back in July or whenever and thought it was great, glad to see it looks like I was right in my thoughts.

Well done Insomniac. Also great to see ms have marketed the hell out of it

Ape

Banned
The first thing I'm going to do is buy the season pass when I get my xbox set up. I just love single player expansions, they sucker me in real good.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Sounds good, now the hope/wait for a PC version next year

So....

Forgettable multiplayer isn't something I thought I'd see mentioned. Night Defence as well as Chaos Squad looked pretty damn good and seemed like they added a lot of replayability to the game.

It's David Jenkins too, so I can't dismiss it out of hand. Hmm...

well, from the streams i watched:

"it’s co-op only and mostly just involves you and up to seven others spamming groups of enemies."

is a completely accurate point, but i think it still could be fun too. For how long though who knows

Deviousx

now you know why I've been so confident in the SO threads.

I love this game. It's one of the best games we've ever made.

excited for everyone to get to play it!

jstevenson be like...

shabazz-napier-celebrating.gif

Seriously though, I'm so happy for you and the Insomniac Games team! You had nothing but confidence since day 1 and I'm glad it's paying off. MS has also been dropping a lot of ads on TV and I'm glad they backed this title.

MY BODY IS READY!

I'm hoping that's the case. The multiplayer is where I'm hoping to spend most of my time and something I thought would see the most praise.

It had potential, but it requires a lot of cooperation, communication and knowing your character and their abilities.

I could easily see in the future that some hardcore Chaos Squad groups will spec their amps for different scenarios and create "classes" within the game. It seems to allow enough depth to do that, even if it's not formally supported.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Wait what?
Thats a hell of alot of very high scores.....i mean i was expecting a 7-8/10 game.
But a bunch of 9.Xs.....looks like imma be getting this day 5...cuz this week is a party week.

Top Bottom