• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

bedlamite

well, from the streams i watched:

"it’s co-op only and mostly just involves you and up to seven others spamming groups of enemies."

is a completely accurate point, but i think it still could be fun too. For how long though who knows
If it's fun in Destiny it'll be fun here, amirite?

Lucreto

I am surprised by all the 9s. But I am seeing slightly lower score on the EU side reviews like videogamers 6. Maybe the low brow humour doesn't translate very well.

Like the name change in the EU Ratchet games.

Great review scores, can't wait for this.

It's interesting that certain critics think the tone of the game is grating. I can see why, but it seems like the tone goes hand in hand with the aesthetic, art style, just the very core insanity of what Sunset Overdrive is. If this does well and gets a sequel, I'm curious if that aspect will change due to the criticisms, and if it does, how that might change the creativity of the game.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
I am surprised by all the 9s. But I am seeing slightly lower score on the EU side reviews like videogamers 6. Maybe the low brow humour doesn't translate very well.
Yeah this makes sense.
I am happy about the overall positive reception though. Good job insomniac.

MS really have done very well this past month and also next month with Halo. SO isn't something I'd play but clearly it's a very good game. Only thing it needs to do is sell. I think it will have a short window of opportunity before COD and AC arrive but hopefully for Insomniac that short window gains big numbers. I imagine it would be a second choice for peeps after Xmas, so I think it could have longer legs than most.

This is me, probably. I just don't have the time at the moment to justify buying this, especially with Halo coming. Already had to pass on Forza Horizon 2 for similar reasons. But I WILL play both at some point. Christmas seems to be a good opportunity.

Gametrailers seems to feel that way as well, but they say the game is good fun, so I am hoping none of that stuff annoys me enough to the point where I stop enjoying it.

my brain is working overtime just imagining how sick this game is going to get

No mention of the tornado amp? For shame...

well, from the streams i watched:

"it’s co-op only and mostly just involves you and up to seven others spamming groups of enemies."

is a completely accurate point, but i think it still could be fun too. For how long though who knows

I feel it being co-op works in the games favour, it's the comment about it being forgettable that has me a little concerned.

That's literally the last thing I expected to read when it came to Chaos Squad/Night Defence. I'll put it down not having a good team to play with, but I guess time will tell is the community sticks around...

It had potential, but it requires a lot of cooperation, communication and knowing your character and their abilities.

I could easily see in the future that some hardcore Chaos Squad groups will spec their amps for different scenarios and create "classes" within the game. It seems to allow enough depth to do that, even if it's not formally supported.

Sounds pretty much perfect for me. I much prefer games that require you to work together than ones that just see everyone for themselves. And the game offering enough depth to create classes is just the icing on the cake.

Defect

Congrats to the team!

I haven't been paying much attention to this game but I was going to get it day one anyway. The awesome reviews just made me super hyped.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Jim Sterling review got me! I don't own a Xone yet, but this will be one of the first game I'll get as soon as I get the console

Putty

What a fucking waste! Jnr's signing up just to cause shit, then get banned.... The best and most respected gaming forum (honest guv) and ....well it's just sad.

Damn, well I already preloaded it. Happy people are having fun with it. I have so much to play. Ima need a vacation next month to catch up on stuff.

GHG

Gold Member

Yep. Metro as well.

Although FWIW I generally find the quality of metros reviews to be very poor.

AniHawk

also...why was "everyone" expecting 7s and shit? y'all are depressing lol

it's been a pretty slow year and almost every major release has come out to some surprising level of disappointment. maybe people were just trying to set their expectations low.

it could be, who knows. the two games play very differently, and everyone has their preferences of course.

also...why was everyone expecting 7s and shit? y'all are depressing lol

Some people just like to watch the world burn.

Me? I remember when that first trailer hit and I saw that first Frank Quitely style explosion SFX appear on screen and I knew at that moment, I saw this happening, clear as day. It was going to be a masterpiece. There was nothing stopping it.

I was right all along.

You don't make aesthetic choices like that and have a game turn out bad. It's just not possible.

Yeah, there's a NeoGAF call-out you won't miss and a GameFAQs one in some random dialog.

There's also a sidequest that makes fun of focus groups (and to some extend Fuse)

Yeah, people have said he brings up NeoGAF, reddit, gamefaqs etc.

Oh wow. This game could not get any more amazing.

Although I'm a little depressed I had it spoiled/revealed in a review. Would have been so much better to experience it fresh in game.

guys its only getting good reviews because sunset tv brainwashed all the reviewers. unethical.

ei6DJcK.gif

To buy or not to buy is the real question. Got my Xbone today, ordered FH 2. This one looks very very tempting. Only around 20 GB means download should be done overnight.

vrln

Neo Member
Much better scores than I expected after all of the negativity here - I guess people were indeed just setting their expectations low after all the disappointing releases this year. Anyways, this is my first Insomniac game, pre-ordered! Game just looks fun and the art direction is a breath of fresh air.

Putty

it's been a pretty slow year and almost every major release has come out to some surprising level of disappointment. maybe people were just trying to set their expectations low.

Not a bad shout. I think people's expectations have been through the roof this first year. I think in all honesty back end of next year and beyond is when we'll really see the big bollox belting beauty's land.

GameTrailers does have their reviews in written form btw:
There’s a lot of greatness within Sunset Overdrive, but it’s obfuscated by a lack of difficulty and an aggravating tone. Ultimately, it’s worth dealing with the game’s worst moments to enjoy the many things it does get right. When you’re darting around the world like a ninja in a denim jacket, there’s nothing quite like it. If there is a next time for Sunset City, and hopefully there is, maybe things will come together more smoothly than they have here.
(just click the "Read the review"-button above the video)

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Fantastic reviews.

Congrats to Insomniac Games!

thanks, I'll still always remember when you picked up on Xbox execs following Ted/Insomniac on twitter alongside all their other first party games, but no one else and calling it out (pre-Sunset announce).

terrifying, and hilarious that everyone dismissed it

DOn't plan on buying an Xbox One but I'm really happy for Insomniac. I guess port begging is bannable right now, so I'll just say this. Insomniac, thanks for making this, colorful games is really what this gen needs. Thank you

Top Bottom