• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sunset Overdrive Review Thread

weekev

Banned
I never understood the negativity surrounding this game, it always looked a lot of fun to me. This plus Scalebound plus a new Banjo would have me purchasing an xbone next year. Congrats to Insomniac, sounds well deserved.

I never understood the negativity surrounding this game, it always looked a lot of fun to me. This plus Scalebound plus a new Banjo would have me purchasing an xbone next year. Congrats to Insomniac, sounds well deserved.

I never really understood either. Seems like that one negative preview came out and people just ran, and ran, and ran...and ran...with it

How is the story missions? Are they like DR3 or are they even not the point of the game? While DR3's story is average at best, it at-least gave a reason to push and do some crazy shit.

Dabanton

I just don't understand posts like this. You weren't expecting the game to be good or review well, which is understandable, but then you say good for Insomniac, you guess. It's still not for you, you don't have an Xbox One, but even if it went multiplatform or was on PC, you wouldn't be excited for it. So like the post is for what then?

Those sort of posts along with the "I don't plan on buying an Xbox One ever,ever but..." style comments are just hilarious at this point.

Griss

Expected it to be a bit crap, but these reviews are undeniably fantastic. Far, far higher than I expected. Insomniac must be delighted. Congrats Insomniac! Nice to see a game with a bit of colour succeed. If I had an XB1 I'd certainly try it out. Good exclusive for Microsoft, they must be delighted too.

Evo X

Awesome reviews. Still got a bunch of those spacebucks from that Gamestop giveaway over the summer. Might pick it up tomorrow.

Only hesitation is there are SO MANY other great coming out shortly so I don't know how I'm gonna have time to play them all!

zeromcd73

I was going to buy the Xbox One bundle but decided to wait for the day Banjo Threeie is announced.

Now I just don't know what to do anymore :(

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Jim Sterling said:
Other times, we get to see genuine cleverness married to a wry observation of videogame design. The nameless protagonist makes fun of NPCs that magically disappear after cutscenes end, or smugly informs allies that even if they die, he/she will be fine and "Just respawn over there somewhere." The self-aware banter is woven so casually into the script that it works a lot better than it should, and once the hero starts complaining about NeoGAF tearing the game apart, you know you're in a world crafted by people who love games maybe a bit too much.

Hype intensifies!

Those sort of posts along with the "I don't plan on buying an Xbox One ever,ever but..." style comments are just hilarious at this point.

They're the only thing delightful enough to fill up the space between now and 12:01 EST.

It's like one long stretch of "Port Begging Is Lava" Chaos Mode.

lol

That's it, decided I'm gonna put Lords of the Fallen on the back burner and buy this one for now, the colorfulness just draws me in. First Xbox One game to go in my system since Titanfall.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

What's so hilarious about that? I don't plan on buying an Xbox one for a long time, if at all, but I'm happy sunset overdrive has worked out well for insomniac. It looks great and the good review scores are well deserved.

So happy to see new IP doing well review wise (and especially hope it does sales wise to vindicate some more new IP). I don't have an Xbox One yet, mostly due to space rather than cash, but any game that shows new IP shouldn't be scary for publishers is great with me. Congrats.

Leb

Like so many of the relatively few, I was genuinely invested in seeing this game fail to be a failure and so I find myself greatly displeased not even in the least measure by this game's utter failure to not attain critical success.

Under no circumstances should the non-absence of accolades not be visited upon this game's developers.

T.O.P

Banned
What's so hilarious about that? I don't plan on buying an Xbox one for a long time, if at all, but I'm happy sunset overdrive has worked out well for insomniac. It looks great and the good review scores are well deserved.

Because it's weird that people even feel the need to mention that, almost like they fear they cloud be mistaken for an X1 owner

It's the "no homo" of the videogame industry lol

It's just such a weird approach to an exclusive designed to do exactly the opposite of what you're espousing.

It's like saying "Hey, nice job, but it's not going to work."

If it wasn't an exclusive this early in a console's generation I guess it wouldn't be as funny. It would just be another game. But it's bundled with the console. It's designed to make people "plan on buying an Xbox one" today, not "for a long time" from now.

For those of us who already got one, some of us exclusively for this game (like, say, me), it's just kind of weird and personally bewildering that it didn't have the same impact.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, and their own motivations for investing in a console, of course, but those of us who get to play this in a few hours, who made the decision to literally bet on this game, it's probably just a case of euphoria transitioning into a sense of hilariousness.

Kinda like…

SUNSET OVERDRIVE.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Because it's weird that people even feel the need to mention that

Would you prefer poorly veiled port begging instead? Because you'd probably get a lot more port begging if "I don't own (insert system)" was a banned phrase around here.

Wow, I legit didn't expect this, especially such good scores from most of the major outlets. Good for Insomniac. This will be day one with my XB1 purchase hopefully next month or December.

Striek

Destiny has had one positive impact I guess. Peoples review expectations have been completely realigned/normalised :)

Would you prefer poorly veiled port begging instead? Because you'd probably get a lot more port begging if "I don't own (insert system)" was a banned phrase around here.

We're all entitled to express ourselves how we'd like, but isn't it actually "poorly veiled port begging"?

This is awesome + I'm never getting this console = implicitly I wish this was on a console I do own.

At least if you look at things tautologically.

Because it's weird that people even feel the need to mention that, almost like they fear they cloud be mistaken for an X1 owner

QFT. It always cracks me up when people have that attitude. Sad and funny at the same time.

jonno394

Great reviews, the humour and "attitude" of the game has unfortunately put me off ever wanting to play this title, but the visual style is extremely striking and I hope we see more games adopt colourful visuals.

Flintty

Holy shit, impressive. Well done Insomniac! I never doubted this game for a second and I can't wait to try it.

Don't have enough money for a White Xbox one bundle. Will need to make do with the xbox one I already have and buy the game on its own.

My mums 60th so have to be a good son, and I doubt a 2nd hand Xbox One with COD Ghosts will make her happy...

first world problems and all that.

Still day one! Thanks Insomniac!

TheOddOne

Can any please link me about this? Curious to know what happened.

I need the whole story.
This was all before they even announced the game. Phil Spencer and Mike Ybarra, execs at Microsoft, both followed the Insomniac’s twitter account, normally that would not be something surprising because execs follow all kinds of companies on their twitter account; Phil follows Naughty Dog for example.

What was strange then, was that they were only following companies which they had some working relationship with; like Playground Games, Mojang, Remedy etc. The only one that that stuck out was Insomniac Games, because they had never worked with them before. So I casually suggested that Insomniac might be working with Microsoft on a game, but I was kind of skeptical and the rest of GAF too; so we didn’t think too much of it. It finally got some credibility when leaks started to show up about them working together on a new project.

T.O.P

Banned

what's the difference between "I'm glad the game is reviewing nicely" and "Even if i don't own an Xbone (and i never willl) i'm glad the game is reviewing nicely"

what do people achieve adding that specific part?

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
It's just such a weird approach to an exclusive designed to do exactly the opposite of what you're espousing.

It's like saying "Hey, nice job, but it's not going to work."

If it wasn't an exclusive this early in a console's generation I guess it wouldn't be as funny. It would just be another game. But it's bundled with the console. It's designed to make people "plan on buying an Xbox one" today, not "for a long time" from now.

For those of us who already got one, some of us exclusively for this game (like, say, me), it's just kind of weird and personally bewildering that it didn't have the same impact.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of course, and their own motivations for investing in a console, of course, but those of us who get to play this in a few hours, who made the decision to literally bet on this game, it's probably just a case of euphoria transitioning into a sense of hilariousness.

Kinda like…

SUNSET OVERDRIVE.

Check out my username. While I'm always open to new things, the only exclusive that would get me to buy a system would be one directed by Hidetaka Miyazaki or Hideo Kojima and one of those is coming to the PS4 very soon. Hence my decision.

I'm not looking to start some console war or anything. Obviously, different exclusives swayed us in different directions, and that's not a bad thing. Sunset Overdrive looks amazing. I hope you enjoy it.

We're all entitled to express ourselves how we'd like, but isn't it actually "poorly veiled port begging"?

This is awesome + I'm never getting this console = implicitly I wish this was on a console I do own.

At least if you look at things tautologically.

what's the difference between "I'm glad the game is reviewing nicely" and "Even if i don't own an Xbone (and i never willl) i'm glad the game is reviewing nicely"

what do people achieve adding that specific part?

Because this is a discussion forum. I may be new to Neogaf, but I've built friendships on other forums, because we actually, y'know, talk about our lives and get to know each other. I'm only trying to be transparent. I guess you find that strange. I don't.

Top Bottom