• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does writing style have to do with the examples they chose?

Don't you find it odd that one of their examples of the game's creativity was a goomba floating in the water?

The Galaxy 2 examples, on the other hand, were specific, detailed comments on the level design itself. It didn't have to scrounge for an example.

The 3D World review, apparently, did.

Okay, we'll do this the apparently really dumb way.

Provide proof, any proof, that the writer scrounged for examples rather than simply chose things that tickled him?

Kacho

Those reviews are craaaaazy good. So much praise. So delicious. Despite getting an Xbox One on Friday, I'll be grabbing this as well. It seems too good to put on the back burner.

Anyway, this thread is all over the place. Spieler continues to be a supreme negative nancy and it's good to see people call him out on his bullshit. Maybe he'll learn he can enjoy things without feeling pain. Also, this is literally the most perfect gif that will no doubt get a ton of use around here.

i4CsOVpBY1CYv.gif

One last thing:

Knack had an entirely different aesthetic from Cerny's other games and used innovative growing and shrinking mechanics. Nintendo wishes their holiday game were Knack.

What in the actual fuck is this?

Einbroch

Banned
Some people all riled up that this game is being reviewed favorably. I will never understand.

It's likely people that don't have a Wii U and don't want one, but want good games.

I'll admit it, the fact that this game got good reviews irks me slightly because I'm missing out on it. But I'm not pissed or upset, just like, "aww man"

Yagharek

Provide proof, any proof, that the writer scrounged for examples rather than simply chose things that tickled him?

I thought the writer of the SM3DW review was considerate in not spelling out things that seem to be from later in the game.

Also, rex seems unable to appreciate that a lot of the things we have seen in recent trailers have been simple sight gags (like the bomb dude being made cylindrical, or goombas in water with float-rings). A lot of the fun in Mario games is the silly sense of humour.

Blues1990

Despite using the same tropes and music, the NSMB games, NSMBWii and NSMBU especially, have moved Mario gameplay forward. NSMBWii was a big jump in quality over NSMB, and although not as big a jump, NSMBU further took 2D Mario to new heights; that speaks more to how good NSMBWii already was.

For curiosity sake, exactly how has the New Super Mario Bros. series been able to move that branch of the Mario series forward? (Outside from the challenge mode in NSMBU & the co-operative mode in NSMBWii?)

No, a mainline 3D Mario game by a proven developers is usually welcomed favorably by many from the very beginning.

Camera angle/art design must have played a bad trick somehow ...

Why does Mario Sunshine never come up in Mario threads then? Even right now, it seems like the only 3D Mario platformers being discussed are Mario 64 and Galaxy

Always wondered how a Mario game would review if all the nostalgia was taken out of the series.

If all of the nostalgia was taken out of the game, you'd be playing something like Super Mario Knack. It wouldn't be Mario as we know it. The whole point of talking about Mario is that WE identify what a Mario game actually consists of....

Always wondered how a Mario game would review if all the nostalgia was taken out of the series.

Same as they are right now. The two best games of the last generation and the best game of the current gen so far. And yet there are some people to call mario games shallow...

Mario is still the king.

Trago

Looks like some people are gonna eat crow. To be honest, I was underwhelmed by the first trailer, but that's the thing, when games are revealed at E3, we should all remember that those games aren't finished.

I'm glad the Wii U is finally seeing its killer app.

Penguin

For curiosity sake, exactly how has the New Super Mario Bros. series been able to move that branch of the Mario series forward? (Outside from the challenge mode in NSMBU & the co-operative mode in NSMBWii?)

Did you just go.. aside from two major new features.. how did it change the formula? o_O

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake

have you ever played a Mario game?
because nostalgia has nothing to do with them. They just happen to be some of the best games ever made, regardless of the main character and setting

Moze

Banned
have you ever played a Mario game?
because nostalgia has nothing to do with them. They just happen to be some of the best games ever made, regardless of the main character and setting

I have played almost all Mario games and find them to be pretty good.

NSMB is a problem though

Feichaw

I wasn't planning to play it right now, because I still have to finish Galaxy and Galaxy 2.

But these reviews...oh God...why are you so amazing, EAD?

I already have a big backlog to complete. I don't want to buy more games, but Nintendo is forcing me to do so :(

Zelda and Mario in the same day...my wallet cries :(

Tooi

Neo Member
Ive gone completely spoiler free except for a few of the trailers like E3 and the one a few weeks back that everyone went nuts for.

Having played all recent Mario games, I can make educated guesses as to what "that one" may be. I kind of assume it now, especially after SMG2/SM3DL, but I dont know the details.

10 days to hold out...

Yep, this is the final stretch now. Luckily I have work to do this week so it shouldn't be too agonising a wait :p

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I have played almost all Mario games and find them to be pretty good.

NSMB is a problem though

good, so you know that nostalgia isn't really a factor when judging those games

affection and familiarity maybe? Well of course. Mario is cute, Luigi is cute and Toad is cute. We know them, we been playing them for 25 years

Yagharek

"The antagonist is some turtle named Bowser 4/10"

"The clouds and shrubs are the same object, lazy design. Also, why are there coins in bricks?"

Man, why do so any people hate the nsmb games so much? They are loads of fun.

I wonder if there is any difference between the people who like/hate the NSMB games and when they started playing. If they grew up on 2D Mario, maybe some people are happy to not have to wait 15 years between entries. If they grew up in the PSX era, maybe there is an inbuilt reluctance towards 2D games in general?

LocalE

1. You only read one review...like come on. Thats cherry picking to prove your point

2. You also kinda miss the point. They say that this game is varied...and you compare it to a review that says Galaxy is varied...to prove that Galaxy is more varied. wat the wat? Powerups or not, the level design is stated to be great and by looks it is. Watch the gametrailers review and see that there is a ton of variety.

I think many are still acting like this is the same game as seen in the reveal at this point because I don't get how any one can act like this is just 3DLand HD.

I'm...pretty sure this is the same game as seen in the reveal.

spliced

Why are gamers so obsessed with nostalgia. When you watch sports on tv they don't go on and on about how you are watching because you're nostalgic for when you played as a kid.

rex

I guess we're getting nowhere then.

I've been unimpressed by what I've seen from the game. Reviews are starting to gush over the fresh new ideas in it. I picked one review, and made it clear that it was the only review I read. The examples of creativity it pointed to I thought were either different, but not necessarily worse, than Galaxy, or they were just outright strange examples.

It reminds me of the IGN video posted last week. They said beat blocks (introduced in Galaxy of course), and two other seemingly nondescript levels were evidence of the game's never ending ingenuity.

I think there's a big gap between how creative some sites say the game is, and the examples those sites are using to back up that statement, especially when you compare how easily one of those same sites was able to point to examples of genuinely creative level design in Galaxy 2.

Here's the IGN review:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/super-mario-3d-world-review

The examples they used are a little more comprehensible than Eurogamer, but still pretty underwhelming.

Mik317

Oh it is

As it is with Zelda

That is the laziest way to discredit anything ever tho.

"oh people like these things? Must be dat nostalgia".

Sure that familiarity is a part of what keep people coming back and being hype for the next but.....maybe just maybe they also keep coming back and being hype because...oh I don't know, the games are great and they enjoy them?

Why are gamers so obsessed with nostalgia. When you watch sports on tv they don't go on and on about how you are watching because you're nostalgic for when you played as a kid.
Psh, people only like[TEAM NAME] because they liked them when they were younger! when are the NFL going to create some new teams?

Kacho

It's an incredibly lazy way to dismiss someones feelings about something.

Neiteio

Mario games would review just as well without nostalgia. If you want proof, look at how well Mario games go over with kids who have no nostalgia in the first place. No matter where they start in the series, they stick with it, and stick with gaming, in general. Mario games have enduring appeal not because of associated sentiment but because they're fundamentally FUN at a core mechanical level. The simple action of running and jumping just feels right, and the expertly crafted levels have deft pacing and variety to flex those mechanics with increasing layers of complexity. EAD's take on the franchise is particularly inspired, full of playful inventiveness that is nothing to take for granted in an industry full of "me too" titles.

Mik317

I guess we're getting nowhere then.

I've been unimpressed by what I've seen from the game. Reviews are starting to gush over the fresh new ideas in it. I picked one review, and made it clear that it was the only review I read. The examples of creativity it pointed to I thought were either different, but not necessarily worse, than Galaxy, or they were just outright strange examples.

It reminds me of the IGN video posted last week. They said beat blocks (introduced in Galaxy of course), and two other seemingly nondescript levels were evidence of the game's never ending ingenuity.

I think there's a big gap between how creative some sites say the game is, and the examples those sites are using to back up that statement, especially when you compare how easily one of those same sites was able to point to examples of genuinely creative level design in Galaxy 2.

Here's the IGN review:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/19/super-mario-3d-world-review

The examples they used are a little more comprehensible than Eurogamer, but still pretty underwhelming.

Then you need to wait and see for yourself then because right now you a trying to hard.

Reviews say it's creative

You: But how creative are they really?

Reviews: Examples

You: well this one review of Galaxy from a different guy used these examples....obviously this means this game isn't creative at all.

At this point, you just need to play for yourself because nothing said will change your preconceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom