• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

KingBroly

Banned
Nice, that's good enough for me. It's such a good song. I'd like to know the song's official name, though. I see different people giving it different names.

Calling it now:

Bowser marries Peach, Mario gets Pauline, who gets kidnapped by DK, you save Pauline

Or Pauline becomes Bowser's Evil Queen cuz she wants Revenge

Either way would be good.

None of these are happening

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
So guys, what if there's a true villain above Bowser in this game...

And then in the end you posses Bowser with Cappy and fight 'em, y'know a twist on the M&L series "Possessed Bowser Trope".

sanstesy

Just peeked into some direct feed footage for the first time and one thing that took me by surprise is how perfectly executed the sound design is. Jesus.

Music transitions perfectly as you seamlessly progress through the world and where you go.

Valahart

Do we have information if the game is going to be playable with a Pro Controller?

I just saw some impressions from someone I trust and they said Nintendo seems to be pushing the motion controller again, even if it makes things imprecise. For example the rolling ability requires to move the joycon in a circle, which sounds even worse than the freaking roll on DKCR.

Can someone else who tested the game talk a little about that?

SPOILERS FOR MOONS IN NEW DONK CITY BASED ON SHOW FLOOR DEMOS. (With some spec added, tell me if I missed something)

-- MOONS SHOWN --
1,2,3 - Mecha Wiggler Battle
4 - Inside Girder (Beginning)
5 - Jump Rope (30 hops)
6,7,8,9 - Four Musicians
10 - Bullet Billding Course
11 - Rocket Course (With Swinging Poles)
12 - Fuzzy Course (Mario Maker Costume needed)
13,14 - Sewer Maze (Inside/Outside)
15 - Who Piled Trash on This (On top of a Building, Ground Pound)
16 - Captain Toad (On girder)
17 - Inside Girder (Behind boxes)
18 - Floating above Girder (Near Helipad)
19 - Floating over Pool (Top of Building)
20 - Highest Point (Climb the Skyscraper - you can long jump from this straight to 19 and it's sick)
21 - Remote Controlled Cart (Possess Human)

-- SPECIFIC MOONS EXPECTED --

22 - Jump Rope (100 hops, guy comments how sick that'd be)
23 - 100 Regional Coins (There's a x/100 counter for a reason, and the coins just become transparent on subsequent runs of a level, so they can likely be collected again)
24 - 100 Yellow Coins (for sale on the desert store, assuming it's the same for every stage)
25 - Scooter (Guy comments on his "parking spot" for Scooters off the beaten path)
26,27,28 - Expected Day Time Battle with one of the Rabbits.
29 - Forgot One: There seems to be a seed you can plant somewhere.

-- GENERAL MOONS EXPECTED --

> Pauline talks about how we already help reinvigorate the city at the start of the musician "quest".
>There's an inside section with falling platforms that no one seemed to have completed yet, seems to lead out to the top of the Mecha Wiggler Sky Scraper
>Some people comment on a "Power Plant", but a taxi is parked on top of the entrance.
>There's a far away Island with a Pipe (exit?) no one visited yet.
>There are both an "electrified rail" and a building not shown in the tree house during the Mario Maker course but that might just be for bonuses/coins
>There is a girder area with a checkpoint/fast travel mark with no content outside of coins during the Day Time - it just loops back into the city. Screenshots of that place during the night time show Goombas with Hard Hats so I'm assuming something will be added there.
> Pamphlet for New Donk City says the city is always under construction so we can expect new buildings.
> There's apparently a depressed person sitting on a bench in the town?
> There might be a Taxi related mission since we're shown you can possess one.
> There might be a Scooter Racing mission, though this is totally just a baseless wish
> No specific mission (as of yet) for the "Mafia" outfit.

So like, 37-39?

Like, 99% of this is not even TOUCHING the Night Time. I think we can legitimately expect 50-ish Moons per world, if not more, jebus.

Jebus.

Do we have information if the game is going to be playable with a Pro Controller?

I just saw some impressions from someone I trust and they said Nintendo seems to be pushing the motion controller again, even if it makes things imprecise. For example the rolling ability requires to move the joycon in a circle, which sounds even worse than the freaking roll on DKCR.

Can someone else who tested the game talk a little about that?

It is confirmed that u can use the pro controller.

squid

So my only worry with this is that there's only a few worlds, since there's only a few rabbits (assuming each one is a boss of a world). Do we have any information on this? I'm hoping there's at least as many worlds as Sunshine

So my only worry with this is that there's only a few worlds, since there's only a few rabbits (assuming each one is a boss of a world). Do we have any information on this? I'm hoping there's at least as many worlds as Sunshine

Treehouse said rabbits are recurring bosses with escalating tactics, so if they appear once per world as footage seems to suggest we're looking (imo) at at least 9. (2 worlds for each individual one, 1 where you fight them all in worst case scenario making for 3 times you fight them). E: this is based on the fact that "recurring" probably means more than twice haha.

squid

Treehouse said rabbits are recurring bosses with escalating tactics, so if they appear once per world as footage seems to suggest we're looking (imo) at at least 9. (2 worlds for each individual one, 1 where you fight them all in worst case scenario making for 3 times you fight them).

Ah awesome! That's great to hear, thanks!

sikkinixx

Looks like a ton of fun between the trailer and all the videos being posted.

I absolutely despise the realistic looking stuff (forest, new donk city people, dinosaur etc). Uncanny valley kinda thing. The more traditional Mario style art worlds I'm totally into though.

Neiteio

Looks like a ton of fun between the trailer and all the videos being posted.

I absolutely despise the realistic looking stuff (forest, new donk city people, dinosaur etc). Uncanny valley kinda thing. The more traditional Mario style art worlds I'm totally into though.
I find the uncanny valley stuff to be exciting precisely because it clashes. It gives the game a fresh feel and expands the iconography of the Mario universe in interesting new ways.

Just watched a bit of gameplay this is looking promising, the closest thing to a Mario 64 in a longg time. I stopped watching because I didnt want to spoil anymore of it. Did they say that is what they are shooting for a Mario 64 type game amd less like the others?

orioto

Good Art™
SPOILERS FOR MOONS IN NEW DONK CITY BASED ON SHOW FLOOR DEMOS. (With some spec added, tell me if I missed something)

-- MOONS SHOWN --
1,2,3 - Mecha Wiggler Battle
4 - Inside Girder (Beginning)
5 - Jump Rope (30 hops)
6,7,8,9 - Four Musicians
11 - Rocket Course (With Swinging Poles)
12 - Fuzzy Course (Mario Maker Costume needed)
13,14 - Sewer Maze (Inside/Outside)
15 - Who Piled Trash on This (On top of a Building, Ground Pound)
16 - Captain Toad (On girder)
17 - Inside Girder (Behind boxes)
18 - Floating above Girder (Near Helipad)
19 - Floating over Pool (Top of Building)
20 - Highest Point (Climb the Skyscraper - you can long jump from this straight to 19 and it's sick)
21 - Remote Controlled Cart (Possess Human)

-- SPECIFIC MOONS EXPECTED --

22 - Jump Rope (100 hops, guy comments how sick that'd be)
23 - 100 Regional Coins (There's a x/100 counter for a reason, and the coins just become transparent on subsequent runs of a level, so they can likely be collected again)
24 - 100 Yellow Coins (for sale on the desert store, assuming it's the same for every stage)
25 - Scooter (Guy comments on his "parking spot" for Scooters off the beaten path)
26,27,28 - Expected Day Time Battle with one of the Rabbits.
29 - Forgot One: There seems to be a seed you can plant somewhere.

-- GENERAL MOONS EXPECTED --

> Pauline talks about how we already help reinvigorate the city at the start of the musician "quest".
>There's an inside section with falling platforms that no one seemed to have completed yet, seems to lead out to the top of the Mecha Wiggler Sky Scraper
>Some people comment on a "Power Plant", but a taxi is parked on top of the entrance.
>There's a far away Island with a Pipe (exit?) no one visited yet.
>There are both an "electrified rail" and a building not shown in the tree house during the Mario Maker course but that might just be for bonuses/coins
>There is a girder area with a checkpoint/fast travel mark with no content outside of coins during the Day Time - it just loops back into the city. Screenshots of that place during the night time show Goombas with Hard Hats so I'm assuming something will be added there.
> Pamphlet for New Donk City says the city is always under construction so we can expect new buildings.
> There's apparently a depressed person sitting on a bench in the town?
> There might be a Taxi related mission since we're shown you can possess one.
> There might be a Scooter Racing mission, though this is totally just a baseless wish
> No specific mission (as of yet) for the "Mafia" outfit.

So like, 37-39?

Like, 99% of this is not even TOUCHING the Night Time. I think we can legitimately expect 50-ish Moons per world, if not more, jebus.

Jebus.

What would be interesting and revealing is the ratio of moons obtained by actual classic platforming mario skills in the city.

I'm expecting 5 main worlds (the 5 highlighted on the cover) with 40-50 moons each, and then maybe 5 mini worlds that have like 10-15 moons each and a total moon count around 250

Blues1990

Probably. All the streets are named after D.K characters after all (Rambi, K Rool, Dixie, and so on).

Surprised there haven't been any hints for his appearance. I would personally love a 1-1 recreation of the first stage from the arcade game and you fight against the dumb ape for a collectible.

What would be interesting and revealing is the ratio of moons obtained by actual classic platforming mario skills in the city.

I don't think it's easy to say which are pure platforming and which aren't because some are located on top of buildings that you can only reach through tricky platforming/movement, and from there you can reach other parts more easily than if you were starting from the beginning of the level, or just continuing your path to grab another one nearby.

The super platforming focused ones are also a lot longer than the shorter exploration ones (which you might also just find in your way from point A to point B of another platforming star), so just going by numbers of moons wouldn't show you a close proportion to the platforming/exploration ratio. For example:

The Mario Maker Course requires you to explore and find 15 coins to buy the costume, then go through a fuzzy obstacle course where you collect Moon Shards in the end - that's a LOT longer than finding a hidden nook near the start of the level.

Phu

Banned
Surprised there haven't been any hints for his appearance. I would personally love a 1-1 recreation of the first stage from the arcade game and you fight against the dumb ape for a collectible.

Calling it now. DK will be a second main villain and kidnap Pauline. In the final world you have to choose between pursuing Bowser and saving Peach or pursuing DK and saving Pauline, and no, you can't save both. Nintendo will then collect this data and steer future Super Mario canon based on the the choices players have made.

Everything and I mean everything looks fucking perfect about this game.

Nintendo are still underappreciated in a way. In terms of pure quality no one in the industry can reach their level. <3

I wonder when they where at the point to just go all in with Odyssey.

Calling it now. DK will be a second main villain and kidnap Pauline. In the final world you have to choose between pursuing Bowser and saving Peach or pursuing DK and saving Pauline, and no, you can't save both. Nintendo will then collect this data and steer future Super Mario canon based on the the choices players have made.

Rosalina will remember that

squall23

Mario dating sim when?

Gsnap

it is a little weird that moons cover so many different tiers of collectibles. Maybe they should have added something in between purple coin and moon in order to cover the various easy moons you find hidden throughout the levels.

It doesn't really matter, as the player is going to be doing the same tasks either way, but people might appreciate it more if moons are more special, and unlocking new worlds requires the completion of more main activities than finding one in a hidden box.

PSqueak

Banned

Well, if they let this be a thing you could do in Brawl, there is the precedent for it to be done again!

Totakeke

it is a little weird that moons cover so many different tiers of collectibles. Maybe they should have added something in between purple coin and moon in order to cover the various easy moons you find hidden throughout the levels.

It doesn't really matter, as the player is going to be doing the same tasks either way, but people might appreciate it more if moons are more special, and unlocking new worlds requires the completion of more main activities than finding one in a hidden box.

There's grand moons and normal moons.

Kjellson

c4d

Gsnap

There's grand moons and normal moons.

yeah but you only get a grand moon from beating bosses it seems. The moons you find in the world and the moons you find for completing major objectives are the same outside of the animation that plays when you pick them up. At least that's how it seemed to me.

It seems like some people are worried about the moons being too simple when I doubt that will be the case. It's just that both simple and complex tasks reward us with the same collectible. So people bring up things like the ratio of platforming to non-platforming moons, or easy to hard moons, when it doesn't matter. This probably wouldn't be happening if breaking a glowing box rewarded you with a third type of collectible in between purple coin and moon.

Basically, I think people are worried about nothing because the reward structure isn't exactly as would naturally make sense to them.

Apathy

The more I see of people playing in new donk city more I hate that place. It just looks so bad. The humans, the buildings themselves, the background. Please show me the other places

Totakeke

yeah but you only get a grand moon from beating bosses it seems. The moons you find in the world and the moons you find for completing major objectives are the same outside of the animation that plays when you pick them up. At least that's how it seemed to me.

It seems like some people are worried about the moons being too simple when I doubt that will be the case. It's just that both simple and complex tasks reward us with the same collectible. So people bring up things like the ratio of platforming to non-platforming moons, or easy to hard moons, when it doesn't matter. This probably wouldn't be happening if breaking a glowing box rewarded you with a third type of collectible in between purple coin and moon.

Basically, I think people are worried about nothing because the reward structure isn't exactly as would naturally make sense to them.

Nah, there's grand moons from major objectives as well.

bomma_man

Keen but cautious. I've seen a lot of SM64/SMS running around aimlessly, particularly in the forest level. New Donk looks like a lot of fun though, kinda like Delphino.

Gsnap

Hmm, I skimmed through the footage I watched and couldn't find it. Maybe I mistook one of the screens for grand moons.

Yeah I checked again and you get the exact same type of moon for using the bullet bill to get to the far platform as you get from climbing the tower, and climbing the tower was the main objective at the time. And when they beat the boss they say the grand moon is worth three moons.

Again, I don't think it will matter in the end. I'm confident that the developers will provide plenty of meaty content. I just think seeing the same rewards for major objectives also popping out of trash bags is currently giving some people bad vibes, which wouldn't be present if they were maybe rewarded with something like half a moon.

Top Bottom