• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey trailer (October 27th)

Anth0ny

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

10 glorious minutes of Mario Odyssey parkour and ninja-like movement.

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions.

Also, LOAD UP THE GIFS. No lag after a dive feels WONDERFUL.

Anth0ny is about to post a video explaining/showing mario's moveset. Unlike most people, who spend most of their 10 minutes with the game just moving mario with the analog stick and jumping with "a" (aside from trying the hat abilities), he actually tried mario's other moves and when he could or couldn't use them.

edit:

posting again, hope you see it this time:

Anth0ny, did you try if sunshine specific moves were in? the spin jump (360º on the analog stick + a) and simply spinning in mid-air (360º on the analog stick in mid-air) or the spinning wall kick?

For example, in sunshine, you could do: slightly press "a" (little short hop), quickly rotate analog stick, keep holding forward, press "a" as soon as you land. All that happened very quickly and you got a "instant triple jump". I don't know if you remember it.

The spin jump is in but it works differently from Sunshine, at least as far as I could tell.

I did 360 + a (same exact timing from Sunshine's spin jump) and nothing happened. I tried spinning in mid air and nothing happened. The way it works now is you charge the spin by rotating the analog stick rapidly while grounded, then you jump and Mario continues to spin. I could see it being useful in the full game, but it definitely lacks the height/distance of the crazy spin jump from Sunshine.

Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!
Odyssey. Yes, see!

ec0ec0

The spin jump is in but it works differently from Sunshine, at least as far as I could tell.

I did 360 + a (same exact timing from Sunshine's spin jump) and nothing happened. I tried spinning in mid air and nothing happened. The way it works now is you charge the spin by rotating the analog stick rapidly while grounded, then you jump and Mario continues to spin. I could see it being useful in the full game, but it definitely lacks the height/distance of the crazy spin jump from Sunshine.

thanks!

No way there are 12 kingdoms. That is way too long and would probably cause the game to drag, the density of the 2 Kingdoms we have seen so far is immense. I can't imagine the same level of quality for 10 other Kingdoms.

Right.
In a modern HD collectathon game with huge free-form sandboxes for levels, I feel like having less than 10 worlds to explore is perfectly reasonable.

Neiteio

Just thought of something:

In the Mario world, Donkey Kong is probably not the namesake of New Donk City. After all, the city preceded the gorilla.

Rather, Donkey Kong's name is probably derived from New Donk City. :-O

In the lore, I mean. It's the other way around IRL!

Raw64life

What'd you think? I have a friend trying to convince me that it's one of the worst controlling Mario game he's ever played and the visuals are Dreamcast quality. While style is subjective, I have a really hard time believing the first part.

It did feel like Mario moved a bit longer after you stopped than normal (like Luigi does in the Galaxy games) but other than that controls were pretty much perfect. The visuals were not Dreamcast quality at all save for the human people models being kind of shitty. Anyone who knocks the visuals probably just can't get past those models even though they won't be in 95% of the game.

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

I tried to address everything in the commentary of the video. Let me know on here if you have any questions.

Beautiful thanks for sharing!

So collecting 100 purple coins nets you a moon? That was one of my favorite stars to get in every Mario 64 level.

There's no definite confirmation, but a couple of the videos I've seen start with some of the purple coins transparent and their purple coin count at zero. Since the coins vanish completely when you collect them normally, they must have left the level, with collected regional coins coming back as transparent ones upon re-entry.

You can then collect these coins and they should theoretically count towards your total of 100 of the level, but not be actual purple coins you can spend. That and the ever present counter hint heavily at you getting a moon when you get them all in one go.

Anth0ny

That was way more informative and exciting to watch than what Treehouse was demonstrating. I'm definitely a lot more excited seeing how speedy it is.

Thanks for doing this.

Hear that Nintendo?! If Treehouse needs some help, I'm unemployed... :p

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Great video! Liked and subbed.

That roll and dive combo is going to lead to some incredible speed runs.

There's no definite confirmation, but a couple of the videos I've seen start with some of the purple coins transparent and their purple coin count at zero. Since the coins vanish completely when you collect them normally, they must have left the level, with collected regional coins coming back as transparent ones upon re-entry.

You can then collect these coins and they should theoretically count towards your total of 100 of the level, but not be actual purple coins you can spend. That and the ever present counter hint heavily at you getting a moon when you get them all in one go.

Makes perfect sense. I like it because it encourages exploration and some of the coins in 64 were difficult to find (who knew running around a log post a few times would make coins pop out? What the heck?)

Pappasman

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

Yesssss. Thank you. All my fears are gone. None of the other gameplay vids play like you so this is perfect.

Gsnap

Great video. You can see quite a few areas we can sequence break. We may even be able to skip the 2d section if the pipe gives enough height for a triple jump into wall jump.

Gonna be a great game.

Totakeke

Did anyone mention that the amiibos are up for pre-order? It's up at Best Buy at least. I guess Odyssey Mario will be the first Mario amiibo that I'll own.

NathanS

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

Very nice, trying to remember if that's how the Spin Jump worked in 3d World, or if 3d World had it more like Sunshine. Anyone recall or have the game right on hand to test?

Based on how prominent the moon is in the game (collectibles, visible from most worlds I've seen, song lyrics), I'm guessing it'll be a world we'll get to visit eventually (and might it even be the final world)? Could it be where the wedding is going place?

At first I thought it was the misty, grayscale world, but the moon is in the background.

wmlk

Based on how prominent the moon is in the game (collectibles, visible from most worlds I've seen, song lyrics), I'm guessing it'll be a world we'll get to visit eventually (and might it even be the final world)? Could it be where the wedding is going place?

At first I thought it was the misty, grayscale world, but the moon is in the background.

I mean the lyrics state that outright.

Whales

Banned
Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

thanks a lot for the vid dude

im sad we are never getting sm64's levels of movements and especially longjumps but man, this felt so good to watch!!

Cant wait

PKrockin

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

My fears of this being a slow, floaty, boring Mario to control like 3D World are put to rest. The roll and dive look really good.

Blues1990

Calling it now. DK will be a second main villain and kidnap Pauline. In the final world you have to choose between pursuing Bowser and saving Peach or pursuing DK and saving Pauline, and no, you can't save both. Nintendo will then collect this data and steer future Super Mario canon based on the the choices players have made.

I know you are joking. But seriously, I want Mario to fight the dumb ape again, and not because of a toy dispute or one of Mario's "parties" or go-kart outing's he invites people to.

ec0ec0

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

first thing first, you absolutely delivered. No surprises there. The video was what i expected. You did a great job telling the nintendo rep to f*ck off (ignoring him and doing your thing), i would have done the same.

Now, some comments (addicional things, that other people that are going to pay the game, could test).

In the video, you generally used the dive when mario was in the peak of his jump. I'd like to see someone trying to use the dive in the first frames of mario's different jumps (i.e. doing the dive as soon as possibe after pressing "a"), and see how it reacts.

An example of that would be doing a side flip (run to one side, then quickly hold the other direction on the analog stick + press "a") but adding (do the input for the dive as soon as possible after pressing "a"). Or doing a triple jump and, instead of simply pressing "a" at the end to do the triple jump, adding the input of the dive, just after pressing "a", to cancel the triple jump with a dive (in 64/sunshine this would be done by sliding your thumb from "a" to "b", as the dive was done with the "b" button).

Assuming you can cancel a jump with a dive as soon as you start the jump like that, mario will (sadly) probably fall very quickly and the jump dive won't have much travel distance, but it is worth a try anyway.

Mario can crouch, so, does he slide if you crouch down a slope?

can you cancel the dive animation with a ground pound or with a hat throw? (probably not)

RagnarokX

lol, duh!

I just realized why the Broodals are rabbits. Japan has folklore about rabbits and the moon:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_rabbit

bPTmZQj.png

If the moon is visible in the E3 demo, maybe look at it for signs of rabbit.

cordy

Banned
Anth0ny that video was great, loved it. Honestly I loved it more than the demos we've seen through Treehouse. It's just the little experimentation done that helps out. Knowing that you can mess around and get through the kingdoms however you want is great.

Neiteio

Alright kids.

THE VIDEO IS UP!

Fantastic work! You captured the joy of playing a Mario game and showed how fun this can be. I feel for the rep, though; he just wanted to show you points of interest, lol.

Anth0ny

Fantastic work! You captured the joy of playing a Mario game and showed how fun this can be. I feel for the rep, though; he just wanted to show you points of interest, lol.

haha I know totally. I'm sure 90% of people playing that demo are completely lost and definitely need the help.

Little did he know he was dealing with a crazy person who plays more 3D Mario than anyone should.

Just thought of something:

In the Mario world, Donkey Kong is probably not the namesake of New Donk City. After all, the city preceded the gorilla.

Rather, Donkey Kong's name is probably derived from New Donk City. :-O

In the lore, I mean. It's the other way around IRL!

Yeah, what if the game is a prequel to the first Donkey Kong and DK wanne become the Mayor, kidnapps Pauline in the end which leads us to the events of the arcade game. :D

Anth0ny

Yeah, what if the game is a prequel to the first Donkey Kong and DK wanne become the Mayor, kidnapps Pauline in the end which leads us to the events of the arcade game. :D

This would be amazing.

After his exploits in New Donk City, the citizens, horrified by this little Italian man running around and jumping on things, start referring to him by one name:

Jumpman.

At some point in the middle of the game, Mario loses his regular clothes and dresses with a blue shirt and red overalls.

v6sgu.png

ryechu

Yup. May also allow them to ramp up the difficulty faster. By giving players the opportunity to choose which moons they do and don't get, they can avoid a 3D world-like situation where people complain about the game being too easy until the very end.

This does seem like the kinda game where you'll get out of it what you put into it.

Just like the shrine system shouldve allowed nintendo to make puzzles that people can actually get stumped on. I wouldn't put that much faith in nintendo in making a difficult game here.

Gsnap

Just like the shrine system shouldve allowed nintendo to make puzzles that people can actually get stumped on. I wouldn't put that much faith in nintendo in making a difficult game here.

There were many shrines more challenging than what we got out of the previous Zelda game. And certainly many more engaging.

Very few Mario games have anything significantly difficult for experienced players, so I doubt this game is gonna be a "difficult game", and that wasn't the point of my post anyway. The point was that the new system may allow them to create something more even for new and experienced players alike. And from the footage I've seen, that already seems to be the case. The sand kingdom had a variety of easy to get stars as well as decent platforming challenges and hidden areas with more difficult challenges. For what seems to be an early world, I'd say that's pretty solid.

Neiteio

So on the map, "Sherm" is listed in the Metro Kingdom and "Burrbo" is listed in the Cascade Kingdom. Sherm is the name of the tank enemy, right? Appears to be a play on "Sherman tank." And Burrbo must be the colorful lil' spiky enemies, right? Hence the "burr," like the spiky plant.

I saw on Treehouse that the stretchy-legged plant baddy is Uproot, and the bashful Easter Island heads are Moe-Eyes (a play on Maoi; also a pun referencing how "cute" their eyes look with sunglasses).

Anyone know what "Jaxi" is a play on? I'm guessing "jaguar" and "taxi?" It's the name of the stone cats you ride around the Sand Kingdom.

The Sherms and Moe-Eyes are already some of my favorite new Mario designs.

Man, as a huge Mario-verse nerd, Odyssey is a gift. It's adding so much stuff!

How many worlds have we seen thus far?

City World
Desert World
Forest World
Dino World
Polygonal world
And that Nightmare Before Christmas looking one (?)

Six is not bad. 2 more and I'd be happy with 8.

Edit:

What I'm seeing so far:

New Donk City = stylized prequel stage to the original Donkey Kong arcade game

Cascade Kingdom = stylized prequel stage to Dinosaur Land (Super Mario World)

Anything else? :p

Top Bottom