• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Yes Boss!

Is the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3 decent if I just want a cheap PS3/PC stick? I play fighting games rarely but if like to try a stick out for once.

It is more of a glorified controller...not really an accurate representations of a stick, IMO.

Thieve

Neo Member
Don't sticks go on sale during EVO? Would it be better to wait until the 12th, or does the Brawl stick never go on sale during EVO?

SmokeMaxX

I've never had a problem with any of my Hori or MadCatz sticks on my PC (some sort of Intel chipset, not sure of version). I'd also recommend the Hori Fighting Stick as a good entry point. Yeah, it's not arcade spec, but it's close enough to where you feel like you're manipulating actual arcade controls. The Mini is too small to be accurate. The MadCatz Brawlstick is also a great low end device, that can be modded with actual components for arcade perfect control.

Is the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3 decent if I just want a cheap PS3/PC stick? I play fighting games rarely but if like to try a stick out for once.
I wouldn't recommend it as anything other than a novelty.
Thanks, I was afraid of that. Anything decent ~$50 range?
BOTEC's post that I quoted above has some good choices.
Hori V3 is a decent starting stick. A little pricey for what it is though. I wouldn't really recommend it just for price reasons. If you can find one around the $30 range, it wouldn't be that bad.
However, it gets overshadowed by the WWE All Stars Brawl Stick. You can often find this stick new in the $30-40 range. It's $45 on Amazon right now but MadCatz has enough sales where you can definitely find it cheaper if you're willing to wait. However, if you can't find it cheaper by Evo, then you're probably out of luck unless you're willing to wait till XBone/PS4 launch.

If you're willing to go a little bit higher than $50, you can get a better stick with real Sanwa (arcade quality) parts. You can mod the Brawl Stick with these parts later, but by then you have a lower quality case with good buttons when you can have a good case with good buttons for the same price. Just depends on what you're going for though. If you're definitely going to use the stick for a while, I'd opt for a stick with sanwa buttons. If you're just testing the waters, a Brawl Stick isn't a bad choice.

Don't sticks go on sale during EVO? Would it be better to wait until the 12th, or does the Brawl stick never go on sale during EVO?
I checked the MadCatz store and they appear to not have any Brawl Sticks in stock. Might be saving their remaining stock for Evo though. If they do have a sale, usually sales for the Brawl stick end up being about $20 + shipping (~$10-12).

Salsa

not really an option for me unless it's on Amazon since I doubt the mad catz store would ship here (and if so, I doubt prices are good).

it's been a while since ive ordered anything online and people are suggesting a third party courier to bring this thing over without risk of taxes. Would cost me $11 extra but I might just do that really

so i just bought a LS-32-01 today, and im wondering how difficult it is to swap out my jlf on one of my te's for it. will i need to flip the pcb on the semitsu like some of the guides say? or is there an easier method?

You don't have to flip anything on the lever, just turn the wire harness over from how it goes onto a JLF and it works.

Ken

Ordered a SFxT VS Fightstick and I'm fuckin hyped!

Is it the one you can connect two sticks together? Man I kind of want that one now. Received my SFxT Pro and while I don't mind it it's not very special or different from my other sticks. Oh well, hopefully someone will put out some nice BBCP themed sticks.

SmokeMaxX

Hope you're happy with it ^_^. If there are ANY issues, please let me know! It already entered the mailing system. I think ETA is a few days from now.

Is it the one you can connect two sticks together? Man I kind of want that one now. Received my SFxT Pro and while I don't mind it it's not very special or different from my other sticks. Oh well, hopefully someone will put out some nice BBCP themed sticks.
There is a BlazBlue TE, but I think it's based on the original (or maybe CS1?). Very limited run though. Not sure how "in demand" it was so not sure if they'll make another one.

jbug617

Banned
not really an option for me unless it's on Amazon since I doubt the mad catz store would ship here (and if so, I doubt prices are good).

it's been a while since ive ordered anything online and people are suggesting a third party courier to bring this thing over without risk of taxes. Would cost me $11 extra but I might just do that really

Amazon has the Mad Catz sticks on sale right now.

SFXT sticks are $80
SCV stick is $70

butts

Thanks guys, I ended up ordering the PS3 WWE Brawl Stick but now I am worried because some places are saying it can be flaky on PC. Is that true? Is there a trick to getting it to work on PC? I want it for both systems otherwise I would have bought the 360 version because supposedly that one has no problems with PC.

thundr51

You're going to enjoy that. I picked up one during CEO and I've been using it for everything. (especially since it's modded).

Initially I bought the TTT2 stick but after looking around at the show and noticing that NOBODY else was using it I swapped for the VS. Haven't looked back. I still suck...but just a bit less now ;)

Jagernaut

New stick for me, its another SE (Brawlstick). It was on clearout in the madcatz canadian store so i decided to pick one up for cheap:

LS-32 lever, Sanwa buttons.

That Brawlstick looks great. I have one that I modded with a sanwa stick and buttons but it still has the hideous stock art. How hard is it to put new art on the stick? Are you using a lamilabel?

I had and later sold a HRAP3 SA because it felt too big. The SE/Brawlstick is a great size.

Threi

notag
That Brawlstick looks great. I have one that I modded with a sanwa stick and buttons but it still has the hideous stock art. How hard is it to put new art on the stick? Are you using a lamilabel?

I had and later sold a HRAP3 SA because it felt too big. The SE/Brawlstick is a great size.
I've done it so many times that it's routine for me. From start to finish it took about a half-hour.

It's a regular laminated sheet of paper, stuck together with carpet tape. Much stronger adhesion, neater, and easier to clean up/replace.

Basically what you do is cut the edges out using the metal panel as a trace, stick it to the panel using carpet tape (after you put the metal panel back on the stick base), and then cut out the button holes with a hobby knife.

Yes Boss!

Been kinda wondering,

But what is the appeal of silent buttons and switches? Unless it is for late-night gaming or something. I don't know if I'd not want the clicking on the stick.

Been kinda wondering,

But what is the appeal of silent buttons and switches? Unless it is for late-night gaming or something. I don't know if I'd not want the clicking on the stick.
I can think of a couple reasons. Some people might not want to wake young children and some people are sensitive to certain frequencies of incidental noise (I know a guy who cannot stand the sounds of glass clinking, for example). Still it seems like a niche thing to me.

ScOULaris

I can think of a couple reasons. Some people might not want to wake young children and some people are sensitive to certain frequencies of incidental noise (I know a guy who cannot stand the sounds of glass clinking, for example). Still it seems like a niche thing to me.
It also keeps your opponent from hearing and subconsciously reacting to button presses during tournament play, which may be worth it for some people. Mago appeared to be using silent buttons at CEO when I was watching him, which made me curious. I ended up buying some silencer pads and trying them out on my HRAP3.

I hated them. They made the buttons feel soft and mushy, and it was much harder to quickly double tap as well. Just less feedback overall than standard buttons. Never used a silent stick, though.

SUPARSTARX

Been kinda wondering,

Playing at night

And to not let your opponent hear your actions while playing next to you. Some people react to that by pushing buttons or not pushing buttons

I like head to head setups more for this reason.

Also, say I have an original SF4 TE stick (360) that's been dual-modded to play on both 360 and PS3. What's the value on that? I was gonna sell it and then buy a cheaper stick since all my fighting games are on PS3, but now I'm wondering if I should just keep it. I honestly have no games to use with it on 360.

Thanks FightStickGAF.

kick51

Banned
It also keeps your opponent from hearing and subconsciously reacting to button presses during tournament play, which may be worth it for some people. Mago appeared to be using silent buttons at CEO when I was watching him, which made me curious. I ended up buying some silencer pads and trying them out on my HRAP3.

I hated them. They made the buttons feel soft and mushy, and it was much harder to quickly double tap as well. Just less feedback overall than standard buttons. Never used a silent stick, though.

Infiltration is a listener, I heard

Moofers

Also, say I have an original SF4 TE stick (360) that's been dual-modded to play on both 360 and PS3. What's the value on that? I was gonna sell it and then buy a cheaper stick since all my fighting games are on PS3, but now I'm wondering if I should just keep it. I honestly have no games to use with it on 360.

Thanks FightStickGAF.

Dont buy a new stick, just use that one. The resell value isn't enough to make the hassle worth your time. You'd basically be buying a new stick of the same quality (the SCV TE linked earlier) but lose out on the dual mod. You never know, you may find yourself someplace wishing you had the ability to use that thing on 360.

Shinriji

I am going to the US next month and the plan was getting a new Arcade Stick for me (Already have one Hori Arcade Stick for the PS3), and I was set for a Madcatz sanwa stick. But all this talk of the Madcatz stick won't be compatible with the PS4, I don't know anymore.

Should I buy a good Hori Stick and hope for compatibility with the PS4, or stick (lol) with my old Hori for a while and buy a new, PS4 compatible, stick in the future? Help me, GAF.

suko_32

Dont buy a new stick, just use that one. The resell value isn't enough to make the hassle worth your time. You'd basically be buying a new stick of the same quality (the SCV TE linked earlier) but lose out on the dual mod. You never know, you may find yourself someplace wishing you had the ability to use that thing on 360.

I agree.

Moofers

I am going to the US next month and the plan was getting a new Arcade Stick for me (Already have one Hori Arcade Stick for the PS3), and I was set for a Madcatz sanwa stick. But all this talk of the Madcatz stick won't be compatible with the PS4, I don't know anymore.

Should I buy a good Hori Stick and hope for compatibility with the PS4, or stick (lol) with my old Hori for a while and buy a new, PS4 compatible, stick in the future? Help me, GAF.

Some good deals on MC TE sticks right now in the states. There's not a single fighting game announced for PS4 yet, so I say take advantage of the PS3's awesome fighting library and get another stick since they're cheap. You won't need a PS4 stick for a while, worry about it then.

SUPARSTARX

Just got my MCZ TTT2 stick. Stuck a bat top on the JLF. I've been using a lot of the crown bat top on my VS stick and I can't really switch between ball top and bat top that often so I went with bat top on the JLF for the new stick as well.
JtHKO3n.jpg

xTLUGWv.jpg

ScOULaris

Just got my MCZ TTT2 stick. Stuck a bat top on the JLF. I've been using a lot of the crown bat top on my VS stick and I can't really switch between ball top and bat top that often so I went with bat top on the JLF for the new stick as well.
Did you swap out some of the buttons as well? I remember that stick having five yellow buttons and three grey out of the box.

SUPARSTARX

Did you swap out some of the buttons as well? I remember that stick having five yellow buttons and three grey out of the box.

Yeah, I swapped the color buttons out for the dark hai/grey ones. It's purely aesthetic until I get the silencer pads and omron switches from Paradisearcadeshop.com

Threi

notag
By the way, there was a HUGE improvement from the SE to the brawlstick components. The buttons are almost sanwa quality (and the plungers/switches/housing are all interchangeable with sanwas). The lever is still a bit eh (due to the metal ring under the actuator not being glued down properly) but for the buttons if i didn't already have sanwas i'd just leave them. They are pretty good as-is.

Great job markman.

SUPARSTARX

Good luck with the silencer pads. I tried them out and absolutely hated them.

I already use them in my VS Stick at the moment. I love them. It feels fine to me now after using it for a while. I'm okay with going back to normal buttons but it depends on how long and how intense I am playing (hitting everything on point and reaction), it could kinda irritate my fingers from impact. :x

ScOULaris

I already use them in my VS Stick at the moment. I love them. It feels fine to me now after using it for a while. I'm okay with going back to normal buttons but it depends on how long and how intense I am playing (hitting everything on point and reaction), it could kinda irritate my fingers from impact. :x

I found myself missing inputs when it came to double-tapping jab or short, which was an immediate dealbreaker for me. This was happening because the shock absorption of the pads lessens the kickback or feedback of the button, so it returns slightly more slowly to your finger after a quick tap than it does without the pads.

That being said, I've never used the official Silent Sanwas. They may be better, but from what I've heard they feel the same as just putting in the pads.

ScOULaris

To anyone who has used both the Qanba Q4 and the Eightarc Fusion sticks, which do you prefer? Is the build quality of the case better on one or another?

The Q4 is cheaper and has that awesome handle, but the Eightarc sticks look a little nicer and have a more sensible Start button placement.

Top Bottom