• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Alright, I'm facing a tough decision here. I just noticed that the elusive Hori HRAP3 N3-SA has gone on sale for EVO at Arcadeshock.com. The price dropped down from $150 to $123 for the time being, and I have always loved the look of this stick.

l_PS3%20Real%20Arcade%20Pro%20N3%20SA_002%20(2)%20copy.png

I was thinking about investing in another stick, and I was leaning towards probably a Qanba Q4 because of the dual-mod, convenient handle, and low price. That being said, I'm not sure if I really need the dual-mod given that I have only ever attended one tournament in my life and I never bring my stick out of my living room otherwise. I like the look of the N3 much more than the Qanba's, and Hori has always had good reliability from my experience.

Anybody else own this stick who can attest to its quality? It has such a great case design, and I am looking to retire my trusty HRAP3 with something that has a cable compartment and carrying handles.
Well, I do own three of them(SCV and TTT2), and they all ended up back to HORI. I really have bad luck with HORI.

Salsa

wanna thank TheDuke56 who apparently read my arcade blues here and offered to send me one of his mad catz brawl sticks free of charge! only have to take care of shipping (wich still ends up being $60+ to my country) but it takes a huge load off my back.

huuuuuuuuuge thanks

ScOULaris

I can't believe how quickly the Madcatz store sold out of PS3 SH sticks and TTT2 S+ sticks. They didn't even last the first day of EVO. :(

Yes Boss!

I can't believe how quickly the Madcatz store sold out of PS3 SH sticks and TTT2 S+ sticks. They didn't even last the first day of EVO. :(

No kidding. I was checking in the morning and they had not gone up yet. Then I had a meeting and class at the end of the day only to get home and find only the 360 version available. I've already got two 360 VS sticks and was going for a PS3 version. Maybe they will put some more up after Evo. Even at $220 with shipping it is still a good $60-70 bucks cheaper than importing form amazon.co.jp.

OceanBlue

I need some advice on my stick. It has been feeling weird for a while. It feels wobbly, like I can wiggle it around a bit without registering inputs. When I move the stick so it registers inputs it feels stiff. It's an old MadCatz Round One TE that I bought used, so I was wondering if I need to replace some parts.

Ghazi

You should absolutely go for it. I'm seriously considering buying another.

(I sold mine after the Cup since I don't play on PS3)
Ah, I never saw this post. I'm too late I guess since the deal is over, I've been hoping to find a good one at $60 but I would've bought the Soul Caliber one if my parents let me haha. It was a good deal, I've been trying to get one at $80 for a while though :(

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As heard yesterday, Madcatz Korean stick coming:

https://twitter.com/TheKingOfMars/status/356163901227925504/photo/1

Mad Catz Arcade Fightstick Korean Edition being featured. Crown CWJ 303A and Sanwa OBSF-30 buttons. Due this year!

Via the same twitter acct.:

Mad Catz is talking about the exclusive fightstick they are creating for XBOX One--the TE 2.0 fightstick.

The Mad Catz TE 2.0 fightstick will have foam padding. You will be able to swap out the artwork. Buttons don't need to be removed.

Mad Catz will make templates available online for customers who want to change the artwork on the upcoming TE 2.0 fightstick.

SmokeMaxX

Ah, I never saw this post. I'm too late I guess since the deal is over, I've been hoping to find a good one at $60 but I would've bought the Soul Caliber one if my parents let me haha. It was a good deal, I've been trying to get one at $80 for a while though :(

? SCV stick is $70 on Amazon right now?

SmokeMaxX

Woah really? I must've loaded the wrong stick then because the one I saw was $160.

Thanks, I'll try to see if I can buy it!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006EJ38X2/?tag=neogaf0e-20
360 or PS3 version both $70

Skilletor

Do the buttons feel soft and mushy on it? When I tried using homebrew silent pad inserts on my buttons it made them feel like shit.

Yeah, silent buttons are mushy. I bought some to try out before, and they're definitely differ. Once I adjusted, though, I loved them. And so does the girlfriend, haha.

ScOULaris

Are there any sites selling the standard black Qanba Q4 at a discounted price for EVO 2013 right now? Maybe with a coupon code or something? I'm gonna order one very soon, and a little money off couldn't hurt. ;)

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Fuck, I saw it for $70 on my phone through your links and I was going to try and buy it today when I got home and it's back at full price.
Same. I'm fucking pissed. I hate these sales with unannounced endings. Fuck Amazon. This stick was on sale for WEEKS and I just went to order it. I am NOT spending $100 on a controller for a system about to become obsolete. God fucking damnit.

gokieks

Those sticks are $80 from MadCatz Store with the EVO20 coupon code. Not as good as the Amazon deal, but slightly cheaper than normal price.

Ghazi

Same. I'm fucking pissed. I hate these sales with unannounced endings. Fuck Amazon. This stick was on sale for WEEKS and I just went to order it. I am NOT spending $100 on a controller for a system about to become obsolete. God fucking damnit.
Same man, it sucks. I guess I'm back to searching for a good deal, I've been looking for something affordable since 2011.
Those sticks are $80 from MadCatz Store with the EVO20 coupon code. Not as good as the Amazon deal, but slightly cheaper than normal price.

And I would jump on that if I could, but I don't have a credit card of my own and I usually pay my dad in cash for him to buy me stuff off Amazon or eBay or whatever since he has accounts there. He probably wouldn't trust putting his credit card info in Madcatz, which is why I can't do that (super awkward to explain this).

Actually, I may just go to the buy/sell/trade thread later and see if I can come up with something there.

jbueno

Cross posting thins from the stupid Gaming questions that don´t deserve a thread:

Alright dumb question here, but does anyone know if the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Stick works on a Wii? Since it connects to the Wii Mote it should act as a classic controller. Want to get one for NeoGeo VC titles, as the POS Hori Fighting Stick for Wii isn´t cutting it any more.

Yes Boss!

Cross posting thins from the stupid Gaming questions that don´t deserve a thread:

Alright dumb question here, but does anyone know if the Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U Stick works on a Wii? Since it connects to the Wii Mote it should act as a classic controller. Want to get one for NeoGeo VC titles, as the POS Hori Fighting Stick for Wii isn´t cutting it any more.

Yeah,

Functions identically to the all the other previously-released Wii sticks (Hori, Exar, TvC, etc). It has the added bonus of easily switching out the buttons via the top since quite often it is nice to switch out a button or two quickly for Neo Geo games.

Tekken Wii U is $100 this weekend, btw. Don't think you can stack the free shipping coupon with it but worth a try.

Btw, you should see my old Hori Wii stick. It went into storage for a few years and came back with yellow buttons. Truly junk!

T-Matt

I regret not getting one of those madcatz chun sticks when they came out. Usually priced too crazy used. Thinking about buying one of the used EVO sticks though...

jbueno

Yeah,

Functions identically to the all the other previously-released Wii sticks (Hori, Exar, TvC, etc). It has the added bonus of easily switching out the buttons via the top since quite often it is nice to switch out a button or two quickly for Neo Geo games.

Tekken Wii U is $100 this weekend, btw. Don't think you can stack the free shipping coupon with it but worth a try.

Btw, you should see my old Hori Wii stick. It went into storage for a few years and came back with yellow buttons. Truly junk!

That´s good to know, thanks! Asked precisely because of the EVO promo thing going on now, but I think I should wait to buy it until the next time it goes on sale.

I´m too used to Seimitsu parts to get a Sanwa stick, but MC sticks are easy to mod right? Oh well it´s not like there´s much selection for Wii / Wii U sticks.

Duxxy3

Yup, i'll stick my my brawl stick with sanwa parts until I find out whether or not the PS4 will work with the stick or not (and no, i don't trust mad catz answer).

Yes Boss!

That´s good to know, thanks! Asked precisely because of the EVO promo thing going on now, but I think I should wait to buy it until the next time it goes on sale.

I´m too used to Seimitsu parts to get a Sanwa stick, but MC sticks are easy to mod right? Oh well it´s not like there´s much selection for Wii / Wii U sticks.

Yeah,

Easy to mod.

I still need to buy one. MarkMan said they did not make a lot of the Wii U one last fall but it has been repeatedly on sale and available. I always wanted a full-featured stick gor Wii VC so I should jump on one...I doubt another one will appear. Even Hori's official stick is still budget (though high quality and I currently use it for Neo Geo VC).

I considered either the MC Wii U or one of the discounted ArcadeShock sticks after failing to get an SH this weekend. But opted against. Too close to the next gen and 2013 is the year I've been choosy on sticks since I'm concentrating on Arcade gear.

WRAP is next for me!

Yeah, silent buttons are mushy. I bought some to try out before, and they're definitely differ. Once I adjusted, though, I loved them. And so does the girlfriend, haha.

I was super hesitant on getting them but I think I'll order some off of focusattack. My gf gets pretty annoyed when I play.

Good to know they're girlfriend approved LOL

So I've been wanting a fightstick for a year now and I was about to buy the $80 streetfighter stick but it went back to $99 today. So I noticed the Hori DOA5 PS3 stick is $99 as well so I went with that. Are there any difference between the two?

ScOULaris

I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this question:

Does the Qanba Q4RAF work with PS2 games on a BC PS3?

I have seen reports saying that it doesn't and reports saying that it works just fine. I plan on buying one this week, and this might influence my decision.

BOTEC

I like the sound of a Korean Edition stick. Especially is they keep it reasonably priced and don't plaster it with fugly licensed art.

Aizo

Banned
I imagine there will be an Ultra SF Arcade Stick in early 2014. Were there any cool announcements at Evo?

LegatoB

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5310&idCategory=430

I'm assuming this is the right place to ask, but is this a good or decent beginner stick for someone who:

A) Has never owned an arcade stick of my own before
B) Looking to play mostly SF4/Marvel. and maybe try KoF
All of MadCatz's Tournament Edition sticks are well-made and use real Japanese arcade parts. The only knock I have against the Soulcalibur model is that, at least for the Xbox 360 one, the button layout is "non-standard" for games like SF4, but you can remap in-game easily. It's a good stick. Was a slightly better deal a day or two ago during Evo when it was $80, but oh well.

Yawnier

Banned
All of MadCatz's Tournament Edition sticks are well-made and use real Japanese arcade parts. The only knock I have against the Soulcalibur model is that, at least for the Xbox 360 one, the button layout is "non-standard" for games like SF4, but you can remap in-game easily. It's a good stick. Was a slightly better deal a day or two ago during Evo when it was $80, but oh well.

So, what I get is that it is a good stick. Thanks.

I'm mostly just looking at various sticks right now around the $100 - $120 range and looking for one that would suite me best for casual play.

ScOULaris

So, what I get is that it is a good stick. Thanks.

I'm mostly just looking at various sticks right now around the $100 - $120 range and looking for one that would suite me best for casual play.

If you're looking in that price range, I'd recommend maybe trying out the latest version of the Madcatz Fightstick PRO. The one that is a black and red design with the Madcatz logo in the bottom right. It's $130 with free shipping using the EVOFREE coupon code, but I think that's only good until tonight.

If it means anything to you, it was the stick used by both players in the Grand Finals at EVO this year. I typically find the Madcatz sticks to be kind of ugly, but this one is actually pretty slick.

deleted

Since I now own Mortal Kombat and plan to buy SSFIV for PC during this steam deal, I finally want to look into buying an arcade stick.

Would this one be a good entry? And is the price ok? I don't have an idea what to look for, but I guess Tournament Sticks are a bit too expensive for a beginner.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B007BN7GBA/

Yawnier

Banned
If you're looking in that price range, I'd recommend maybe trying out the latest version of the Madcatz Fightstick PRO. The one that is a black and red design with the Madcatz logo in the bottom right. It's $130 with free shipping using the EVOFREE coupon code, but I think that's only good until tonight.

If it means anything to you, it was the stick used by both players in the Grand Finals at EVO this year. I typically find the Madcatz sticks to be kind of ugly, but this one is actually pretty slick.

I'm looking at it right now, and it definitely looks nice. Hmmmm.....

JDdelphin

Since I now own Mortal Kombat and plan to buy SSFIV for PC during this steam deal, I finally want to look into buying an arcade stick.

Would this one be a good entry? And is the price ok? I don't have an idea what to look for, but I guess Tournament Sticks are a bit too expensive for a beginner.

Yeah, I just have a little Hori EX2 and would love a TE but the pricing is prohibitive

Is there a poverty stick resource for deals/DIYs somewhere?

Seeing all the people with rooms full of arcade sticks is so insane lol
They could supply their entire block with arcade style goodness

SmokeMaxX

So I've been wanting a fightstick for a year now and I was about to buy the $80 streetfighter stick but it went back to $99 today. So I noticed the Hori DOA5 PS3 stick is $99 as well so I went with that. Are there any difference between the two?
Hori DOA stick is fine. I believe it has a slightly different button layout/spacing than most other sticks, but parts and quality are great.

Most beginner sticks are junk. If you're absolutely against spending more than $50 on a stick, get the MadCatz Brawl stick or the Hori V3. Those are some of the "best" beginner sticks (i.e. they aren't ABSOLUTELY junk). Brawl stick is probably a better deal because you can usually find it in the $30-40 range. I wouldn't personally pay more than that for either (incl. shipping). If you're willing to go a little bit higher to $70-80, you get access to arcade quality sticks. You just have to find deals on those. PM me if you're interested in sticks with Sanwa quality parts in that price range. I can help you look for them. This goes for anyone else who's looking as well.

Hori DOA stick is fine. I believe it has a slightly different button layout/spacing than most other sticks, but parts and quality are great.
Thank for the reply and it's good to hear. The PS3 stick is $97 if anyone is interested in it on Amazon. I bet it'll go lower.
You just have to find deals on those. PM me if you're interested in sticks with Sanwa quality parts in that price range. I can help you look for them. This goes for anyone else who's looking as well.
But I kinda wished I knew this sooner. Every time these sticks go on sale for around that price, I usually miss them or lack the money to spend it. $97 is okay, but if I could have saved the $20-$30, that would be way better.

SmokeMaxX

Thank for the reply and it's good to hear. The PS3 stick is $97 if anyone is interested in it on Amazon. I bet it'll go lower.

But I kinda wished I knew this sooner. Every time these sticks go on sale for around that price, I usually miss them or lack the money to spend it. $97 is okay, but if I could have saved the $20-$30, that would be way better.

Haha yeah. Amazon has a "Like New" version of that stick for $73 (free shipping) (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008N7SJCS/?tag=neogaf0e-20)
Great return policy too since it's sold by Amazon so if you have any problems with it, just let them know. Their Like New stuff is often in great condition.

ScOULaris

After careful deliberation, I am close to pulling the trigger on getting my next stick: the Qanba Q4RAF. My HRAP3 (button-modded with Sanwa) has served me well for PS3/PC all these years, but I want another stick to add to my collection now.

The Qanba seems to be the best bang for my buck, even if it is a bit ugly and has unfortunate Start button placement. That handle is just a nice little feature, and dual-modded for $150 can't be beat.

That being said, I have two concerns. Could someone who owns one help me out?

1. Does the Q4 work with PS2 games on a BC PS3? I have heard conflicting reports on this.
2. Have you experienced any input lag or other problems with the Q4?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I really hope the white fighting edge comes out soon. I need a new PS3 stick asap and would like to get it for my bday.

SmokeMaxX

After careful deliberation, I am close to pulling the trigger on getting my next stick: the Qanba Q4RAF. My HRAP3 (button-modded with Sanwa) has served me well for PS3/PC all these years, but I want another stick to add to my collection now.

The Qanba seems to be the best bang for my buck, even if it is a bit ugly and has unfortunate Start button placement. That handle is just a nice little feature, and dual-modded for $150 can't be beat.

That being said, I have two concerns. Could someone who owns one help me out?

1. Does the Q4 work with PS2 games on a BC PS3? I have heard conflicting reports on this.
2. Have you experienced any input lag or other problems with the Q4?
I have had a few Q4s in my life. For the most part, they're fine. I've seen one major problem with them, but I've seen a lot of Qanbas and it was the original Q4 so I'm pretty sure they've fixed things since then. I've seen a lot of issues with Hori and MadCatz sticks as well, so take from that what you will. Yeah it's true that you probably won't be getting great customer support from Qanba but it's actually fairly reasonable. I had an issue with them and they did end up contacting me shortly after I told them about it.

No idea on whether Q4s work on BC PS3s though.

knee

Most beginner sticks are junk. If you're absolutely against spending more than $50 on a stick, get the MadCatz Brawl stick or the Hori V3. Those are some of the "best" beginner sticks (i.e. they aren't ABSOLUTELY junk). Brawl stick is probably a better deal because you can usually find it in the $30-40 range. I wouldn't personally pay more than that for either (incl. shipping). If you're willing to go a little bit higher to $70-80, you get access to arcade quality sticks. You just have to find deals on those. PM me if you're interested in sticks with Sanwa quality parts in that price range. I can help you look for them. This goes for anyone else who's looking as well.

Best beginner stick IMO is the Qanba Q1

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BXPIO1S/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
Yeah the Qanba Q1 is enough for a new player with parts that are more or less reliable.

Oh yeah I got the Razer Atrox in the mail and got the Joytron Exchanger from Laugh at EVO for dirt cheap!

RazerJoytron_zpsa4c4613d.jpg

Top Bottom