• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Welp

Bought a MadCatz SCV stick from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $69.29 with Prime shipping. The description is:

Used - Very Good

Fully playable game is included; downloadable content (DLC) or codes for online play may require additional purchase. Item may come repackaged. Missing shrink-wrap, activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired.

So who knows what I'm getting into. If I get a 360 copy of SCV I'll be livid, lol.

I'll be replacing a MvC TE from Dec 2010.

akuma001

buddy just picked up a madcatz v.s. sh

DSCN1616_zps19fa4d4d.jpg

and had me add a ps360+

DSCN1619_zps3852ef25.jpg

and neutrik rj45 thingy for use with detachable cables

DSCN1624_zpse7f89095.jpg

i think i might get one myself!

knee

Welp

Bought a MadCatz SCV stick from Amazon Warehouse Deals for $69.29 with Prime shipping. The description is:

So who knows what I'm getting into. If I get a 360 copy of SCV I'll be livid, lol.

I'll be replacing a MvC TE from Dec 2010.

You'll be fine. My SFxT pad from Amazon Warehouse had the same description

So my stick arrived today and for the first ten minutes of use I could barely throw a hadouken, lol. After that it started getting much easier but I'm still far from perfect at it. I think the biggest problem for me so far has been dashing of all things. It feels really awkward at the moment. I know it's supposed to take a little while to adjust to a stick so I'm sure I'll get it down eventually.

ScOULaris

So my stick arrived today and for the first ten minutes of use I could barely throw a hadouken, lol. After that it started getting much easier but I'm still far from perfect at it. I think the biggest problem for me so far has been dashing of all things. It feels really awkward at the moment. I know it's supposed to take a little while to adjust to a stick so I'm sure I'll get it down eventually.

Yeah. I've been using a stick for years, and I still think that dashing is the one and only thing that's easier to do on a d-pad over an arcade stick. I still have difficulty quickly dashing from right to left in particular.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

Less arm more wrist.

Salsa

got here

the stock buttons are surprisingly fine. The stick can be a bit iffy, at first glance some of my jumps arent registering even tho I feel like the input is there. I might just mod the stick and leave the buttons for starters.

Any suggestions on what joystick/gate to get and where? with international shipping

huge thanks again to TheDuke56 for sending it my way :) $55 of shipping might seem like much but they're pretty much impossible to get here.

oneida

got here

the stock buttons are surprisingly fine. The stick can be a bit iffy, at first glance some of my jumps arent registering even tho I feel like the input is there. I might just mod the stick and leave the buttons for starters.

Any suggestions on what joystick/gate to get and where? with international shipping

huge thanks again to TheDuke56 for sending it my way :) $55 of shipping might seem like much but they're pretty much impossible to get here.
http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-jlf-tp-8yt-joystick/
Square gate is the standard. Octogate is for weirdos

braves01

Banned
got here

I got a brawl stick recently too, and I also have a really tough time hitting the diagonals using the stock stick, especially compared to my jlf-equipped tvc stick. So, yeah make swapping that stick out a priority.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
The buttons on my (Sanwa stick/buttons modded) Madcatz SE are randomly not registering. Doesn't happen too often but it's still annoying. Do I just need to replace the buttons or is it a problem with the PCB or something?

The buttons on my (Sanwa stick/buttons modded) Madcatz SE are randomly not registering. Doesn't happen too often but it's still annoying. Do I just need to replace the buttons or is it a problem with the PCB or something?

Depends. Open it and check the quick disconnects are secure. If that doesn't fix it then it could be the circuit board.

ScOULaris

My Qanba Q4 arrived today! Here it is next to my previous workhorse, the good ol' HRAP3 original (button modded with Sanwas).

Sorry for the large size and poor quality.

nq6dLbK.jpg

The HRAP3 has lasted me about four years now, so I thought it was about time to upgrade to something with modern niceties (felt bottom, cord compartment, dualmod, carrying handle... etc.).

I'll be breaking it in for a while during its warranty period before eventually swapping in some custom artwork and different buttons/balltop.

To anyone on the fence about picking up a Qanba Q4... do it! This stick is top-notch and has everything you could ask for.

So I've been wanting a fightstick for a year now and I was about to buy the $80 streetfighter stick but it went back to $99 today. So I noticed the Hori DOA5 PS3 stick is $99 as well so I went with that. Are there any difference between the two?
Street Fighter is a fighting game. That's the biggest difference.

solid mike

I'm finally getting a fight stick because I thought to myself, what's the point of having MK9, BBCS2, VF5, TTT2, DOA5 and SSF4 if I didn't have an actual fightstick to play them with.

I'm poor right now and not willing to invest on expensive sticks that are more expensive than the games, I've observed. How does this thread like the Hori Fight Stick 3 Mini? I'm getting it next week for $35.

ScOULaris

I'm finally getting a fight stick because I thought to myself, what's the point of having MK9, BBCS2, VF5, TTT2, DOA5 and SSF4 if I didn't have an actual fightstick to play them with.

I'm poor right now and not willing to invest on expensive sticks that are more expensive than the games, I've observed. How does this thread like the Hori Fight Stick 3 Mini? I'm getting it next week for $35.

I'll be honest, man. I don't think there's really a point these days to buying such a low-end stick. They feel like crap and oftentimes break in some way or another early on.

If you want to get the full experience without breaking the bank, the cheapest route is to buy something like a Brawlstick and swap out the parts with Sanwa.

I'd recommend just picking up a $100-130 stick, though. It'll last you forever, so I think it's a worthwhile investment. With arcade sticks, you truly get what you pay for.

solid mike

I'll be honest, man. I don't think there's really a point these days to buying such a low-end stick. They feel like crap and oftentimes break in some way or another early on.

If you want to get the full experience without breaking the bank, the cheapest route is to buy something like a Brawlstick and swap out the parts with Sanwa.

I'd recommend just picking up a $100-130 stick, though. It'll last you forever, so I think it's a worthwhile investment. With arcade sticks, you truly get what you pay for.

Opinion considered. But I'm not really searching for a high quality stick. I just want to get a grip on how to use the joystick as opposed to the dpad I've been using for fighting games. When I do combos on the dpad, I get no problem successfully stringing combos but when I try to do those same combos on arcades, I fail 85% of the time. Like I said, $35 is an amazingly good deal for a starter stick. Who knows, if I really get into it, I'll get the more expensive ones.

thumb

Banned
Opinion considered. But I'm not really searching for a high quality stick. I just want to get a grip on how to use the joystick as opposed to the dpad I've been using for fighting games. When I do combos on the dpad, I get no problem successfully stringing combos but when I try to do those same combos on arcades, I fail 85% of the time. Like I said, $35 is an amazingly good deal for a starter stick. Who knows, if I really get into it, I'll get the more expensive ones.

Right, but it's sort of like trying to figure out whether bike riding is for you by getting on a rusted bike with an uncomfortable seat. It's not going to be very representative of the experience. Anyhow, it's obviously your call, but see if you can borrow or try a friend's good arcade stick if one is available.

oneida

Hey new to the fight stick screen. Whats the stick or sticks that come closest to the arcades, if there are any.

Depends what arcades you're talkin'.

Japanese arcades: anything with sanwa parts.
MadCatz, Hori, Qanba, not too hard to find.

American arcades: anything with Happ or IL parts.
See if MAS is still around...

knee

Save a little more and get one of these: http://www.focusattack.com/qanba-q1-cut-ps3-pc-compatible-joystick/

$59.95+ship

Salsa

i'd recommend doing what I did and buying a cheap Brawl stick and potentially modding it. You can find it for that same price, or just a tiny bit more. I got to try a hori mini yesterday, actually, and it's true that the feel just isnt right. It's not good if you're looking to get a real fight stick feel, it's toy-ish

edit: or what knee says above, sadly not an opportunity for me cause no int. shipping

I dont know, im kinda glad I didnt do that. My only previous experience with a stick was an old PS2 hori, and as someone who was just looking to maybe get back ("back") into sticks, im glad I went the brawlstick route. A $130 stick is a pretty big investment if you're not super serious about it upfront. He should get a brawl stick, play with the stock parts, AND if he gets a feel for it and realizes he's gonna stick with it, then swap the parts for sanwa.

T-Matt

I dont know, im kinda glad I didnt do that. My only previous experience with a stick was an old PS2 hori, and as someone who was just looking to maybe get back ("back") into sticks, im glad I went the brawlstick route. A $130 stick is a pretty big investment if you're not super serious about it upfront. He should get a brawl stick, play with the stock parts, AND if he gets a feel for it and realizes he's gonna stick with it, then swap the parts for sanwa.

The only downside I see to that is, if you upgrade the parts its going to bring the total cost to around 100$. If you pay the 100$ upfront you won't have to mod the stick and if you don't want it you will be able to get your money back easily.

ScOULaris

I was thinking of getting the QanBa Q4 RAF. Anyone got some thoughts on it or better yet have tried it?

Mine just arrived it the mail a few days ago, and I posted about it on this very page.

It's fantastic. In my opinion, it's the best value currently out there for an arcade stick. It's $150 for a gorgeous, solidly designed arcade stick with dualmod functionality out of the box, a felt bottom, and a handy-dandy carrying handle that no other stick has at the moment.

GET IT.

knee

Yeah, that's a good suggestion too. I can't vouch for the quality of the Qanba stick+buttons, however. Anybody used the Q1 before?

I own one. The table clamps are a little gimmicky, but thankfully removable.

The stick is a touch tighter than your standard JLF. The buttons are great and responsive, but probably the loudest buttons I've ever used.

Salsa

The only downside I see to that is, if you upgrade the parts its going to bring the total cost to around 100$. If you pay the 100$ upfront you won't have to mod the stick and if you don't want it you will be able to get your money back easily.

well, sure, but the only MUST mod part is the stick. You'd only be modding the buttons for better feedback since the brawl stocks work fine

also.. I doubt you'd get close to $100 with a stick + 6 buttons?

Ghazi

If I can get a SCV stick (or any good stick) on Amazon Warehouse for around $60-70 like oneida did I'll probably jump on that, is there anyone who does dual mods in TN by any chance?

solid mike

Ok so I've been giving it some though and you guys are right, the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3's buttons are too small and there's just not enough space for my big hands.

So, what does GAF think about pic related? I think I can spare more money for it. I've been seeing some sites saying that it costs around $60.

top01.jpg

Duxxy3

Ok so I've been giving it some though and you guys are right, the Hori Fighting Stick Mini 3's buttons are too small and there's just not enough space for my big hands.

So, what does GAF think about pic related? I think I can spare more money for it. I've been seeing some sites saying that it costs around $60.

top01.jpg

It's a pain in the balls to mod to arcade quality parts. Better off with a brawl stick for less. The parts are pretty decent. Can change the parts easily if you want to make a change in the future.

solid mike

It's a pain in the balls to mod to arcade quality parts. Better off with a brawl stick for less. The parts are pretty decent. Can change the parts easily if you want to make a change in the future.

So the stick and buttons aren't arcade-quality? I'm not really into modding sticks. I just want to experience something close to the arcade without spending too much.

How's the feel of the product considering the non-arcade quality parts?

Duxxy3

So the stick and buttons aren't arcade-quality? I'm not really into modding sticks. I just want to experience something close to the arcade without spending too much.

How's the feel of the product considering the non-arcade quality parts?

The weight is good. The bottom is just a steel plate (i'm talking about the brawl stick). The buttons are actually ok. The stick is not as reponsive as a sanwa.

T-Matt

well, sure, but the only MUST mod part is the stick. You'd only be modding the buttons for better feedback since the brawl stocks work fine

also.. I doubt you'd get close to $100 with a stick + 6 buttons?

Well a sanwa stick is 24$ most places before shipping then if you want new buttons they are 2.75$ each so that is 40$ before shipping. Not saying everyone has to go that route but it was my thinking.

top01.jpg

I don't recommend it. for the following reasons:

1. Overall feels cheap, in my opinion. This is relative, but for me, it overall feels like a so-so product. It is light because it only uses one metal plate (for the top panel), the bottom panel is plastic. the plastic molding is a bit iffy too, i can see the swirls and such. The stock parts aren't too bad, to be honest, but from past experience with Hori buttons, it's gonna start to get janky as time goes on, the switches go bad often for their cheap-line buttons.

2. Modding is possible, but still extensive. Replacing it with 'real arcade parts' is gonna take you a while. No matter what, you will have to whip out your soldering gun. The buttons are soldered on to a daughter board. And you will have to do a lot of re-crimping of wires. As for the joystick part, it has mounting points for a Sanwa JLF. thats sort of a good thing, well, not entirely. these points are on the plastic case, not on metal. also according to many it mounts at a slightly off height.

but since you said you're not really into modding, so you can kinda disregard the second reason, but personally, the modding stuff doesn't bother me in this stick... it's the overall feel and build quality of the stick I worry about. In that regard, I can't say I would recommend it.

Don't get me wrong, the form factor is very good, and It will give you a good idea of how japanese style joysticks feel like,just how it was made and the materials they used feels sub par.

I second the brawl stick recommendation, those things may be the lower-end class of madcatz joysticks, but they are built pretty well. hope that helps.

Top Bottom