• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

Kalamari

Speaking of yet-to-be-released Horis, I am really excited about the new RAP from E3. I don't particularly like the current RAP due to the location of the start button, but it seems they have moved it further out of the way on the new model. It also looks as though the design is inspired by the Fighting Edge, very smexy!

SmokeMaxX

Speaking of yet-to-be-released Horis, I am really excited about the new RAP from E3. I don't particularly like the current RAP due to the location of the start button, but it seems they have moved it further out of the way on the new model. It also looks as though the design is inspired by the Fighting Edge, very smexy!
I believe the kai lets you switch the start button with the back button

ScOULaris

They showed off a new HRAP other than the WRAP at E3? I'm at work, so I can't look it up. Mind sharing a pic?

Edit: You mean this one?

430032_517218284993335_1259663137_n.jpg

Flock

Yeah the Qanba Q1 is enough for a new player with parts that are more or less reliable.

Oh yeah I got the Razer Atrox in the mail and got the Joytron Exchanger from Laugh at EVO for dirt cheap!

RazerJoytron_zpsa4c4613d.jpg

That Joytron is a nice looking stick IMO.
Care to post some feedback on how it feels?

Man, it can be really hard to not inflate the cost of a custom stick sometimes. I'm getting all types of woodworking and stuff done now, but I was taking forever to figure out the electronics. Currently I'm just 360 / PC only, so I picked up some cheap MadCatz 360 fightpads with the intention of just hacking those in. But I kept waffling between adding in a MC Cthulhu or not. I was holding off, as I was wanting to see what would happen with next-gen support, but I'm honestly so turned off with next-gen right now that I'm much more considering going retro (Retron 5 / PS2 / Dreamcast or something like that) so adding in the Cthulhu got way more appealing, so I picked them up. Plus this does give me more possible options (PS2, PS3, PC, 360) if any type of converters eventually come around for Xbox One or PS4.

And having done all that I'm now looking at my MadCatz pads and the MCC duel-mod instructions and I'm like "do I really want to do this?" I've pad hacked before, but it was a bit of a pain and now I'm starting to think about just hawking the 360 pads and buying XTokki360's online, just sounds so much easier and cleaner to just plug stuff into the MCC terminals and not have to worry about all that soldering.

Bleh, well in any case I have most of the supplies now, so I should have something really cool to show all of you in a few months if all goes well.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
That Joytron is a nice looking stick IMO.
Care to post some feedback on how it feels?

The Joytron EXChanger is actually a pretty neat stick when finally using it. The body has a necessary heaviness to it so it's not flimsy.

The parts as I got from Laugh were stock parts: Crown CWJ-303A (Korean version) and Qanba buttons. I am planning to switch to Sanwa or Seimitsu buttons in the near future but as of yet, the Qanba buttons are doing more or less fine. It doesn't feel sloppy like old Hori buttons fortunately but it doesn't have the instant feel I found on Sanwa, Seimitsu, Crown or Gamer Finger's HBFS-30s.

The main draw for the EXChanger is the easiness to open the body with a flick of two lock switches and a button at the front. I wish the QDs had the plastic covers you can find on most sticks but that can be easily arranged. The joystick lever mount allows most Korean Fanta (Crown, Myoungshin, Taeyoung, etc) and Sanwa JLF levers. It also mentions that Seimitsu levers can fit too but I can confirm only flat plate versions can fit. I want to note that when installing Japanese levers, they provide large dust covers to compensate for the large joystick hole on the panel (for the Fanta mounting).

I remember a while back that when installing a Fanta into the EXChanger, it has an unusual height increase when regularly using it. Apparently Joytron now provides metal washers which can lower it down to the normal position. It's a bit weird to install but with regular tape (hell the support thread on Joytron does the same) will make the process a bit easier.

Oh yeah it works on PS3 and 360 just fine. There is also a headset port for XBL players. While I got it for $70, I believe so far it's worth the $150+ (includes shipping) to export. Too bad Laugh couldn't have it available on Etokki because of weird reasons beyond his control. If it were to reach to more markets, this could be a neat competitor to Eightarc and Qanba.

ScOULaris

Has anyone used a "silent" fightstick?

http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5811&idCategory=456

I'm curious as to how well the sound-dampening works and how it feels to play with.

I have not used the silent JLF stick before, but I have used the silent buttons. I hated them. They have padding inside that severely dampens the bounce-back of the button, which makes quick double taps harder to do because the button doesn't return to your finger as quickly between presses.

They do a decent job at muffling the sound, but I don't personally feel that this benefit alone makes up for the shortcomings of their performance.

On another note, I ordered my Qanba Q4RAF from Eightarc.com at the beginning of the week, and I still haven't received any notice of shipment. Is this normal for them? I'm starting to think that I would have been better off ordering from Amazon.

Skilletor

I'm curious as to how well the sound-dampening works and how it feels to play with.

The stick has an odd "mushy" feel, similar to the buttons, but I got over it pretty quick. I used it all weekend at EVO and loved it.

I don't have any performance issues with it as ScOULaris has described, so YMMV. After getting adjusted to the feel of the buttons and sticks, everything worked as it should. Some friends hated the initial feel of the sitck, though, and didn't want to play on it.

The stick is plenty silent.

I feel like getting an eightarc stick. One of the Fusions. Is there anything that I should know before going all in?

I would really like a Q4 but the placement of the start button... =/

Rhapsody

Banned

I have silent buttons installed in mine. Like others said, the padding gives it a mushy feeling. I mostly bought it to not bother people inside my house when I'm playing late at night. I like the silent buttons, but I do admit it took some time getting used to. If you're worried that it'll bother you, it might be a good idea to pass on it.

The actual stick I have isn't silent though. I'm not sure if I'd be able to adjust to that if I did since it seems odd to use.

SUPARSTARX

The sound reduction is pretty good actually. The silenced JLF doesn't make much noise. The only noise you're getting is really just the thumping from the light/heavy impact of the shaft hitting the switches.

Rhapsody

Banned
The sound reduction is pretty good actually. The silenced JLF doesn't make much noise. The only noise you're getting is really just the thumping from the light/heavy impact of the shaft hitting the switches.

I've yet to give it a fair shot. I used it only for a few moments, and it wasn't even installed either.
From what I recall, it was hard for me to feel where the input would "click" or register rather when I used it for that short time.

I'll try it out again though the next chance I get.

thumb

Banned
Just ordered a Hitbox. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm much better with keyboards than with joysticks, so I'm hoping this will translate to the Hitbox.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member

I used the Silent parts but not the SH. The button pads are trash. They are too thin which makes it feel awkward inside. Paradise Arcade Shop's silent pads are much better, they sound a bit quieter and better feeling when pressed. For the JLF lever, it definitely works as intended. Inputs for moves on the silent JLF turned out pretty well.

lbk62

Just ordered a Hitbox. Anyone have any experience with them? I'm much better with keyboards than with joysticks, so I'm hoping this will translate to the Hitbox.

i was just watching the reviews, its seems kinda of uncomfortable, maybe i will give it a try!

but overall it looks that it would help the people that use the keyboard.

I'm sure that this is there on on Shoryuken, but the layout and search of that site is so terrible I'm not sure if I could find it or not. But is there a good guide out there for how to get your wiring nice and clean? I know how to pad hack, and I'm ok with soldering, I'm more looking for tips here on how to use the crimpable quick disconnets, cable wraps and layout for getting really clean looking interior wiring. Anyone have a link?

johnhandy

I'm sure that this is there on on Shoryuken, but the layout and search of that site is so terrible I'm not sure if I could find it or not. But is there a good guide out there for how to get your wiring nice and clean? I know how to pad hack, and I'm ok with soldering, I'm more looking for tips here on how to use the crimpable quick disconnets, cable wraps and layout for getting really clean looking interior wiring. Anyone have a link?
I remember this one: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/156663/

BadWolf

Picked up a Hori stick (V3 SA Kai), now to re-learn how to play :/

Haven't played on a stick since school when we used to have an arcade nearby.

I can play on keyboard and pad and now I'm back to feeling like a newbie again, guess I will put aside characters like Joe and Chin for now.

Arranged the attack buttons in a diamond like shape (like on the PS3 pad), hopefully that helps a little with the adjustment.

These things are sturdy right? Hope I don't bust it.

Was interested in this at first because people said it reminded them of a keyboard but the button placement seems way too awkward.

On keyboard, I played using the directional keys with my right hand and the attack buttons with the left.

ScOULaris

Picked up a Hori stick (V3 SA Kai), now to re-learn how to play :/

Haven't played on a stick since school when we used to have an arcade nearby.

I can play on keyboard and pad and now I'm back to feeling like a newbie again, guess I will put aside characters like Joe and Chin for now.

Arranged the attack buttons in a diamond like shape (like on the PS3 pad), hopefully that helps a little with the adjustment.

These things are sturdy right? Hope I don't bust it.

It'll probably take a few weeks before you're fully comfortable with a stick. Rest assured that once you've gotten used to it you will find it to be superior to both pad and keyboard.

And no worries about wearing out the stick. Those are arcade-quality parts, my friend. They are made to withstand years of mashing by all kinds of different players without wearing out.

jmro

The stick has an odd "mushy" feel, similar to the buttons, but I got over it pretty quick. I used it all weekend at EVO and loved it.

I don't have any performance issues with it as ScOULaris has described, so YMMV. After getting adjusted to the feel of the buttons and sticks, everything worked as it should. Some friends hated the initial feel of the sitck, though, and didn't want to play on it.

The stick is plenty silent.

Do you know if the V.S. has the same screw size as the TEs for the top plate? Also, are they silver or black on the V.S. SH? I see conflicting images online.

BadWolf

It'll probably take a few weeks before you're fully comfortable with a stick. Rest assured that once you've gotten used to it you will find it to be superior to both pad and keyboard.

And no worries about wearing out the stick. Those are arcade-quality parts, my friend. They are made to withstand years of mashing by all kinds of different players without wearing out.

Awesome, thanks :)

jbug617

Banned
I put this in the FGC thread but I asked Markman about Xbox One sticks and the use of the color buttons (like the 360 sticks) and he said they don't have to use the color buttons anymore.

jmro

I put this in the FGC thread but I asked Markman about Xbox One sticks and the use of the color buttons (like the 360 sticks) and he said they don't have to use the color buttons anymore.

Thank god. I have so many one off xbox colored buttons lying around because the first thing I do is replace them. Now they need to standardize the button layout so we don't get XBOX sticks with two different button layouts.

Thank god. I have so many one off xbox colored buttons lying around because the first thing I do is replace them. Now they need to standardize the button layout so we don't get XBOX sticks with two different button layouts.

If you replaced the buttons off 6 sticks, then you should have 4 complete sets!

T-Matt

Why did they not have to use them on the round 1 sticks I wonder?

T-Matt

MS implemented it mid-generation.

Personally, I'm neither a fan nor not a fan of mandatory buttons. Sometimes it looks great and other times I feel compelled to switch them out.

Such as the case with the EX-SE which looks superb.
Also, that's interesting I did not know that.

Yes Boss!

Yep, that one is hard to beat.

Definitely my favorite stick of all time. But I also equate it with the huge 40+ shmup catalog for the 360. I'm guessing the Diamond and and VSHG are pretty close for me, but just a notch below. I reckon if I had a HRAP2 SE it would be pretty close, too.

GeorgeC

Banned
... Except that there's no such thing as an HRAP 2 SE.
Hori never made an HRAP 2 SE. You'd have to mod an HRAP 2 yourself with Seimitsu parts for that!
(I'm "sort of" halfway there with my HRAP 2 SA. Swapped out the original JLF lever for an LS-32-01... I just don't care for the Sanwa JLF.)

Ask Markman about that one... He has all the Hori joysticks I think.
He's emphatic about the HRAP 2 SE never existing. It just wasn't done.

The rarest Hori joystick is probably the HRAP (1) SE. There was also an HRAP (1) SA.
An SRK member who no longer posts/left once had an HRAP (1) SE for sale on the Trading Outlet. It was a bit scratched and I frankly thought he was asking a bit too much for it in the condition it was in... I think he left Dodge City after he sold plenty of things at SRK; a few of his last customers were kind of upset at him from what I've heard.

The last PS3 HRAP SE joystick was the HRAP V3 SE I think... Before that, there was the HRAP 3 SE which I own an example of. Way, way more HRAP 3 SE's out there in the US at least.

Most of us that have Seimitsu parts in our joysticks put them in there... There are so few "mass-market" joysticks produced with Seimitsu parts now and they tend to be specially made limited editions (Qanba SE's for Arcade Shock-only, I think) or 360-only joysticks. It seems like the 360 has had a million SE joysticks made for it by Hori while Hori's only done 2 SE joysticks for the PS3. They were very limited production PS3 joysticks you had to special order through Hori (HRAP 3 SE) or Amazon.jp (the HRAP V3 SE green joystick).

The Japanese market LE PS3 joysticks are definitely harder to get IMHO.
I think even now you can still get the HRAP EX-SE through a vendor or two in the US.

Not that I'm interested in the HRAP EX-SE (much as I like Seimitsu parts)... I got sick of the old-style HRAP case a while back. The HRAP 1 version minus the first two button slots is the best to mod for original art -- more space available and the button layout is less instrusive on the artwork -- but otherwise I'm over that case and don't need to own more than I have now. I've sold off about 8 original-style HRAP cases altogether (seven US market Tekken 5, 1 black HRAP 3).

I think the FE's case is pretty impressive but the LCD on it ended up not being so special...
It'll be interesting to be see if any company makes a mass-market joystick with push-button LCD let alone programmable LCD. The side-strip LCD is nice but probably not enough bling for many people...
The $200 joystick is still hard for many in America to pay for.

Yes Boss!

No, no, no.

There is a HRAP 2 SE. A few posters here have them. Or whatever, the same color scheme as the HRAP2.

I've got all those other sticks you mention. There are plenty of Seimitsu sticks out there. Many released for the fans. I dunno, maybe I've got a hundred sticks and about a dozen are official Seimitsu sticks. Slower going but over the years they've shown up.

The Qanba's I've got a few of. Neat but they are not truly a "SE" branding but rather a kind of parts swap done at the manufacturer level. Fun, but kinda bland. They are also multi-system which is a fricken' drag. The eightarc Sapphire is probably the last non-Hori SE that is interesting.

I don't collect any HRAP line prior to PS2. So I'm not quite sure about all those original HRAPs. But I'm sure they are sexy. Hori makes sexy stuff.

EDIT: Ok, looked at the box and it is an HRAP SE for PS1 But, still looks like the HRAP 2 SA and I like to consider them twins.

jmro

I'm thinking of getting a stick for the first time, but I don't really know what to get. What would you guys recommend?

Madcatz Tournament Edition S or Fightstick Pro is probably your best bet at the moment. Some people are into the Hori RAPs as well, but I prefer the madcatz stuff.

Man when SF4 launched all of this shit was so hard to get, now I have 7 arcade sticks.

Fightstick Pro:
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5792&idCategory=274
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5793&idCategory=274

TE S:
http://store.gameshark.com/viewItem.asp?idProduct=5538&idCategory=274

I prefer the TE S but it might not be worth the extra $30. You might be able to find better deals on Tournament Editions on Amazon. There was TE round 1, round 2 and S. If you're on 360 I wouldn't recommend a rd1 or rd2 as there were PCB issues. All PS3 versions are great.

Thank you. I decided to just go with the Fightstick Pro since it was a little cheaper and something about the button layout on the Tekken was a bit off putting to me. Now I just have to wait till it arrives which shouldn't be too long. I ordered one day shipping even though it added over $50 to the price since I'm so impatient, lol.

ScOULaris

Thank you. I decided to just go with the Fightstick Pro since it was a little cheaper and something about the button layout on the Tekken was a bit off putting to me. Now I just have to wait till it arrives which shouldn't be too long. I ordered one day shipping even though it added over $50 to the price since I'm so impatient, lol.

Good choice! Those new Fightstick Pro designs are sexy, and the top two Street Fighter finalists at this year's EVO were both using that stick.

liking the 'original' HRAP love around here. When PS5 is out, ill probably still be using my HRAP2 for everything haha.

ngl though, HORI dissapointed me with the HRAP VX/V3 line, i just feel like those sticks are not as solid original HRAP's... i dunno those sticks just feel weird to me. I only have one iiteration of those, the VF5FS stick, and im just keeping it just because it's virtua fighter/sega related.

I've still yet to fulfill my want for the HRAP SA and HRAP SE, i see the HRAP SA often but it commands a pretty high price tag for some reason haha.

lately I've been using my Virtua Stick Pro, modified with a 1L6B astro city panel (and multi console support), and it's slowly becoming my favorite, only cons is that i can't really take it anywhere, thing is huge. copying HORI's cancelled AX S+G stick concept, LS-32 with RG buttons, nice smooth STG play :)

og HRAP's really are the next best thing to true candy cab form. imo.

btw, im sure Yes Boss! might have it, are the Capcom Fighting Jam sticks Black or Dark Blue case?

SE Talk Make me want to post my favorite stick review ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAiiRkHkRKw

why does this come to mind...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj6orUhQkZM

ScOULaris

liking the 'original' HRAP love around here. When PS5 is out, ill probably still be using my HRAP2 for everything haha.

ngl though, HORI dissapointed me with the HRAP VX/V3 line, i just feel like those sticks are not as solid original HRAP's... i dunno those sticks just feel weird to me. I only have one iiteration of those, the VF5FS stick, and im just keeping it just because it's virtua fighter/sega related.

I've still yet to fulfill my want for the HRAP SA and HRAP SE, i see the HRAP SA often but it commands a pretty high price tag for some reason haha.

lately I've been using my Virtua Stick Pro, modified with a 1L6B astro city panel (and multi console support), and it's slowly becoming my favorite, only cons is that i can't really take it anywhere, thing is huge. copying HORI's cancelled AX S+G stick concept, LS-32 with RG buttons, nice smooth STG play :)

og HRAP's really are the next best thing to true candy cab form. imo.

Oh, yeah. I love my button-modded HRAP3. It's gorgeous and solid as hell. I much prefer the sturdy feeling of the original HRAP's over the newer V3 models. The new ones just feel like cheap plastic toys by comparison, especially since they are so light. The Kai is definitely an improvement over the first V3, however.

I chose the HRAP3 and button modded it instead of ordering the HRAP3-SA back when I originally purchased it because I preferred the carbon fiber art that came with the HRAP3 over the brushed metal one of the SA model.

I'll post pics of my lovely HRAP3 when I get home later today. That baby's still trucking like it was when it was brand new. It will have some competition when my new Qanba Q4RAF arrives tomorrow, though.

Top Bottom