• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. Direct - Oct 23(US) & Oct 24 (JP/EU)

This doesn't seem like a normal direct. I'm not expecting any mind blowing revelations. If 8 player is real, I would love to see it though.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I hope to see some other great reveal trailers. I mean, those are among the best things I've seen this generation so far:

8t1rzi1.gif

tumblr_n8pivqO56E1tp1b7ro3_500.gif

tumblr_mof7xnHfCB1svd4e4o1_400.gif

tumblr_nb2jtn6Mzf1qfs9zoo9_400.gif

jmizzal

I want announced today

8 players smash - online too
Single player adventure mode
Epic Stage builder
DLC - Characters teased, they wont announce it before release but I know he will troll us with teases lol
And Demo would be nice, though not a big deal

Crocodile

Well I'm the opposite of you there. So at least for me, this Direct does focus on an exciting game.

That's often an issue with Nintendo lately. Like right now, if you don't care about Smash or Captain Toad, there are no Wii U games to look forward to this year. Next holiday if you don't care about Zelda or Xenoblade, there's probably going to be nothing exciting going on.

"If you don't care about the games coming out, there's nothing for you to care about"

Isn't that a tautology? LOL

I get you overall point the release schedule on the Wii U is thin so its easier for their to be a window of time in which there is no game you care about but you might want to express it better :p

Guys, we're dealing with a team that thinks Duck Hunt is a spoiler at this point. You're not getting any new characters tonight.

Maybe they'll start entertaining the concept of DLC, but I kind of doubt that they'd begin that conversation at this stage.

I'm sure those conversations have already happened. Did you forget about the 3DS data mining?

I want announced today

8 players smash - online too
Single player adventure mode
Epic Stage builder
DLC - Characters teased, they wont announce it before release but I know he will troll us with teases lol
And Demo would be nice, though not a big deal

Surprisingly, I find this the least likely.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I wanto the Boardgame mode to be amiibo related.
It would be great to see a Mario Party-like mode where you can play as the amiibos you have, where during each turn you have to fight against friends or AI with different rules/levels/stage hazards/bosses every time. The winner get points to advance on the board and something like that.

emb

"If you don't care about the games coming out, there's nothing for you to care about"

Isn't that a tautology? LOL

I get your overall point the release schedule on the Wii U is thin so its easier for their to be a window of time in which there is no game you care about but you might want to express it better :p
Looks like you got me covered. ;) Yeah, you're right though, what I said was kinda redundant.

Jawmuncher

Guys, we're dealing with a team that thinks Duck Hunt is a spoiler at this point. You're not getting any new characters tonight.

Maybe they'll start entertaining the concept of DLC, but I kind of doubt that they'd begin that conversation at this stage.

Yeah im already bracing for DHD being the end of direct reveal.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Yeah I agree and besides of that,I'm not into Smash Bros so the direct has no meaning to me.

Yup, that's why I really want a big direct really badly. The last one was in february if you don't count the E3.

We already have one couple of months ago with Shulk, Xenoblade 3DS and New 3DS reveal. We might get one soon but who know *shrugs* I have a good feeling that we wouldn't get one until Jan/Feb 2015 since we already have good amount of games coming out in Holiday.

Kouriozan

We won't get big direct before the end of the year me think, once Smash and Bayonetta will be release everywhere.
There is good games to look forward so no need to hype us with 2015 release for now.

Then hopefully it'll be "a game per month" on Wii U, like that old rumor said.

Jawmuncher

We won't get big direct before the end of the year me think, once Smash and Bayonetta will be release everywhere.
There is good games to look forward so no need to hype us with 2015 release for now.

Then hopefully it'll be "a game per month" on Wii U, like that old rumor said.

What's for WiiU in January?
What feels like the most barren month for gaming most of the time.

udivision

I'm saying Nintendo themselves may not be ready to talk about that yet.

Yeah, why would they talk about DLC before the holiday shopping season if it won't make it time for that season? The game hasn't even released yet. They're gonna wait to handle the DLC stuff in the sparser release period next year. At the earliest they'll talk about DLC in Feb or something.

Revven

Why are people still overly rapid for more characters or as if DLC will be talked about in this Direct? We didn't get MK8 DLC in its big Direct back in April (and people were hoping/expecting to see DLC confirmed for MK8 at E3!) But neither happened.

I understand "hype trains" and all but when the 3DS version came out the Wii U version's launch character roster was essentially revealed (no, they're not going to drop the "parity" of the character roster). That's what we're getting this year. I do not expect us to get any Smash DLC this year looking at how long it's taking MK8 to get its DLC.

There is a time and place to go bananas with hyping things up but this is not one of those times. We will just learn about the Wii U's modes and feature set that separate it from the 3DS version. Which is exciting enough as it is.

And I know some of you tend to joke but not everybody is, there are definitely people being serious about it just because of the datamining of the 3DS version -- which doesn't prove we're getting DLC sooner rather than later. All it shows is there is potential for DLC and it is likely but there's no timetable for it.

-Horizon-

We're getting Miku and I'm not letting your pessimism get me!

L~A

Yeah, why would they talk about DLC before the holiday shopping season? The game hasn't even released yet. They're gonna wait to handle the DLC stuff in the sparser release period next year. At the earliest they'll talk about DLC in Feb or something.

Yeah, if there IS DLC, they won't talk about it before January I think. They didn't announce MK8's DLC until several months after release after all. And with the holidays, it's better to just let people enjoy the two games as much as possible... it's not like they aren't ultra-packed with content.

At the very best, they'll mention the game will get DLC in the future, but that's it.

The thought with early DLC announcements is that the characters will be on the default Wii U roster and DLC on the 3DS to provide incentive to purchase the Wii U version

If people don't care about controls or HD graphics than Smash Wii U will be a hard sell, so it needs something to get people to buy it, and exclusive release characters that the 3DS won't have until later is a perfect gimmick.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well if Spainkiller is right and you can possibly unlock four new characters simply through connecting the two versions, as in right out of the box on Day 1, it seems weird Sakurai wouldn't mention that. I mean, that's a big deal I can't see him keeping as a total surprise.

Well if Spainkiller is right and you can possibly unlock four new characters simply through connecting the two versions, as in right out of the box on Day 1, it seems weird Sakurai wouldn't mention that. I mean, that's a big deal I can't see him keeping as a total surprise.

Exactly. IF true, they would definitely tease it today.

That's a bug IF, though. Is there any evidence to support it?

emb

Well he's not right, so that solves that mystery. Explains why we won't see any new playable characters today.

Wouldn't it being a big deal be the very reason for it to be a surprise?

Watch Da Birdie

Well he's not right, so that solves that mystery. Explains why we won't see any new playable characters today.

Are you sure he's not right?

I mean, from what I understand he's considered a trusted member on here. I mean to deny him outright like that just seems stubborn.

emb

Are you sure he's not right?

I mean, from what I understand he's considered a trusted member on here. I mean to deny him outright like that just seems stubborn.
Nah, I'm not any more sure than anyone else one way or the other. I don't have any evidence to go on, I'm only playfully asserting my opinion on it.

I just don't think he's right. Even if he is reliable, some one down the chain of information could easily be lying; his wasn't a first hand account. Either way though, I'm better off not believing it. This way I'm either right, or I get to play as extra characters. It's a no-lose scenario.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, SpainKiller himself says the person who told him has gave him legit information in the past.

I don't personally know him, but when he posted it, multiple people were on his side and stated that he's been a long-time member who's had legit info before, maybe not a "leak", but seems his word was worth much.

We don't really know when any of the 2015 stuff is exactly. But several are 'first half'.
BwdnYR-IMAAGFhv.jpg:large
This list is sorta inaccurate though. The indie titles they have listed are both 2015 releases. I expect, in terms of exclusives, Jan-Feb will look like this:

Jan: Affordable Space Adventures, Swords and Soldier 2, +other indie releases
Feb: Mario Party 10 or Mario Maker

NOA has a history of not doing retail releases in January.

AdanVC

Is there going to be a demo after the stream right? If so, I better check now the "Receive e-mails from Nintendo" on my Club Nintendo account just in case... Bah, I honestly don't think there's going to be a demo, at least not today. Probably when we're 2 weeks again of release just like the 3DS version. My gud I remember the thread where everyone was asking for a 3DS demo code, hahaha

Revven

Here's the deal: if Sakurai doesn't finally explain Ridley properly, you can abandon all logic and reasoning and assume he is DLC or will be part of the Wii U roster and will be 3DS DLC later.

Otherwise, if it's not teased (the connectivity between the two systems) or anything related to DLC isn't teased, then don't expect to hear anything about DLC until 2015. And even then, character DLC is questionable (new characters take a long time to create, much longer than new characters in a Kart racer).

I will remain hopeful that Ice Climbers are in the Wii U version despite roster parity crying.

(Reminder: I'm a fan of roster parity just not when it keeps established veterans and other characters from being in either game.)

Sakurai: You may remember that previously I stated that the character rosters for the 3DS and Wii U versions would be the same. This is still true, with the exception of the veteran fighters, Ice Climbers! They were a bit too much for the 3DS to handle but here they are in all their glory on the Wii U!

Dear god please. I miss them so much :(

It happens toniiiight!!

I'm going to be at work though.. bah!
Will have to wait till I get off.. but I'll be so excited to get home.. Heehee.

Question: What's the logic behind the Samus Power Suit?
Is she tall, and the suit fits her perfectly?
Is she short, and the suit is that massive that her arms only go to the elbows and her legs only go to the knees, and the suit is controlled rather than just worn?

emb

Here's the deal: if Sakurai doesn't finally explain Ridley properly, you can abandon all logic and reasoning and assume he is DLC or will be part of the Wii U roster and will be 3DS DLC later.

Otherwise, if it's not teased (the connectivity between the two systems) or anything related to DLC isn't teased, then don't expect to hear anything about DLC until 2015. And even then, character DLC is questionable (new characters take a long time to create, much longer than new characters in a Kart racer).
So what you're saying is that Ridley should be playable in Mario Kart.

Understood.

Is there going to be a demo after the stream right? If so, I better check now the "Receive e-mails from Nintendo" on my Club Nintendo account just in case... Bah, I honestly don't think there's going to be a demo, at least not today. Probably when we're 2 weeks again of release just like the 3DS version. My gud I remember the thread where everyone was asking for a 3DS demo code, hahaha

Yea... those were some struggles.

The Spainkiller leak is basically "Someone told me Ridley was in the game!"

Actually, it's not even that, it's "Someone told me he saw a Ridley model in the game!" The evidence of this is that he got information on Bowser Jr. before the ESRB videos came out, which, you know, Vaanrose leak.

It's such a weak rumor that people only believe because they want the characters he suggested and literally no other reason.

Top Bottom