• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Min0

I wonder if people would have prefered to play this game on Wii U mid 2015 with ice climbers (and maybe other cut characters) included instead of playing it this holyday without them.

I'm I the only one on gaf who has Hector as his most wanted SSB character?
Great-Lord-Hector.gif~c200

Not sure if most but me and some others on GAF wanted more weapon variety for the Fire Emblem representatives, like Hector and Ephraim, the only two non-sword lords.

Dimmle

They're fun theories but I personally don't put any stock into them. I guess I'll probably revisit it when I finally play through the original Mother next year.

Also...not that we have their exact ages (though we do know Kumatora was a baby at the time of the White Ship) but I always imagined an age gap between Lucas and Kumatora.
When did Itoi say those things? Are we sure he wasn't just humoring a fan's inclinations?

That interpretation seems dangerously fanfiction.net for three games with unusually strong thematic integrity. Not to mention there are some massive logical leaps one has to perform to accomodate the narrative.

I'd hope Itoi was just being a good sport.

emb

As far as FE lords go, yeah, he would be really awesome. I think he could have work as an Ike alt, but would be even better as his own character with unique moves.
Even though he's pretty fast in FE, Ike's playstyle is how I imagine him working. The slow, powerful type. At least PM has us covered for a Hector alt kinda.

Fiktion

Banned

We need more villains, Fawful or Nergal would of been awesome.

EreshkigalNergalCast.gif
Lyn would be a better pick, and that ship seems to have sailed.

If you want a villain we'd be more likely to get Grima as a Robin clone.

Also Lucina and Robin are both about a hundred times better than Hector.

Moonlight

Banned

EreshkigalNergalCast.gif

Its a shame that we get the most boring and generic FE characters in Smash.
Lyndis_Blade_Lord_Critical_by_xBlue.gif

Not even the most deserving Blazing Sword character.

When did Itoi say those things? Are we sure he wasn't just humoring a fan's inclinations?

That interpretation seems dangerously fanfiction.net for three games with unusually strong thematic integrity. Not to mention there are some massive logical leaps one has to perform to accomodate the narrative.

I've done a bunch of EB/Mother research, Itoi definitely said that it was a valid interpretation in interviews for both cases.

emb

I wonder if people would have prefered to play this game on Wii U mid 2015 with ice climbers (and maybe other cut characters) included instead of playing it this holyday without them.
I'm not that crazy about IC's, but in general I'd prefer to wait on the game and have it be better than to get it sooner. Give me Wolf, Lucas, and ICs, and I'd be happy to wait for next year (even if I don't play any of those really).

me0wish

The reason why I haven't mentioned Lyn is because we already have sword fighters. I would of preferred Lyn over any of the FE characters in SSB4 except for Robin due to his unique game play.

Either way, I'm really happy with SSB4 roster.

batfax

Favorite pick for a new FE character would've been Leif showing off the Master Knight's ability to use any weapon (except dark). Axes, lances, magic, bows, he could bring it all. In my mind he'd also use the capture mechanics from his game to supply himself with money and upgrade each of his weapon types mid-battle.

Too bad it'll never happen. =\

ffdgh

It wasn't unexpected if you knew about thing people found on MK8. :p

Plus it'll be for 3DS as well, not just Wii U as MK8 is. D:

Raaaaah.

3ds owners can get every other dlc. Just not ice climbers. :3

I hope sakurai can find a way to make everyone happy...well more happy lol.

The "Ness being Flint" thing is acknowledged here.. There's another one he addressed regarding Ninten being Ness which was in a magazine way back around Mother 2's release (can't remember the name).

I agree that they'd take leaps of logic which, again, is why I don't put much stock into them. They're just fun nonsense theories.

Nah, I'd rather have the game out this year with additional characters as free or paid DLC.

Hell, I'd buy a Street Fighter like update if I had to, I don't give a shit.

Kenai

I would LOVE Fawful.

I can't really call Robin generic though. At least not any more generic than any customizable main character. The others aren't super unique but that's because FE loves blue haired-sword people.

Berordn

Honestly, if Ice Climber's only bottleneck was 3DS then I don't see why the Wii U version should have them withheld, even if they don't come at launch, especially if they were running on the game at some point!

It's probably the easiest DLC choice they could make!

me0wish

I would LOVE Fawful.

I can't really call Robin generic though. At least not any more generic than any customizable main character. The others aren't super unique but that's because FE loves blue haired-sword people.

I meant generic in terms of character :p (Or maybe memorable would be a better word?)
I always found Ike enjoyable to play, and Robin seems like insane amount of fun.

Crayolan

I never really get why people are upset at the loss of Ice Climbers. I never really felt like they were much fun to play as, Nana always got lost, and they've only had one small game decades ago. Why so many fans?

Also, I'm pretty sure they won't take the extra power of the n3DS and use it for a character as opposed to behind the scenes general use of power... if anything...

This is terrible logic. "I don't like this character so why does anyone care if they're out?" Just cause you don't care doesn't mean other people don't. Ice Climbers are a really fun and creative character and shouldn't have to be lost for no reason other than roster parity.

I'm sure if your favorite character was cut you'd be feeling differently, especially if that character was one of the less popular ones and you had people saying "why do people care about this character?"

No unique character should be cut. Ice Climbers now join Mewtwo on the list of unfairly cut characters.

Yes, I would. Smash is a game that lasts for years, so when there are any glaring omissions waiting for them to return in the next game is really painful. Or even worse, they might not even return, like Mewtwo. :(

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm lucky because there's yet to be a Smash cut that's set me off...

Perhaps I'm a psychopath. Or perhaps I just don't know who'd do that for me till Sakurai cuts them.

Honestly, if Ice Climber's only bottleneck was 3DS then I don't see why the Wii U version should have them withheld, even if they don't come at launch, especially if they were running on the game at some point!

It's probably the easiest DLC choice they could make!
I wonder if DLC will have forced parity of if the Wii U will have specific Wii U only DLC

Dimmle

I've done a bunch of EB/Mother research, Itoi definitely said that it was a valid interpretation in interviews for both cases.
I'd be interested in reading those interviews but I'll take your word for it. It's a virtue of Mother games that their stories are so open-ended as to allow multiple interpretations.

Having played through Mother 1 fairly recently, I can say it doesn't answer any more continuity questions than its sequels.

EreshkigalNergalCast.gif

I would've been down with Hector, but Ike kind of fills that "heavy, big weapon fighter" niche.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Lyn should have been a Lucina alt. Or Marth alt. Or her own character. Or something.

I remember being so excited when she went up on the Dojo for Brawl. Like, shit! She's in! YESSSS. Then I looked at the page again, assist trophy.

That was the point I knew I was never, ever going to use assist trophies. Seeing the characters I wanted most on stage, but knowing I could never play them. Nope. I'd rather them not be in the game at all.

Berordn

Unless the 3DS version doesn't support DLC, I don't see why they would "waste" time and money on a character that not even half of your userbase can buy.

If they were all but finished and only the roster parity held them back there's no real reason to let them sit either. Money is still money.

Fiktion

Banned
Lyn should have been a Lucina alt. Or Marth alt. Or her own character. Or something.

I remember being so excited when she went up on the Dojo for Brawl. Like, shit! She's in! YESSSS. Then I looked at the page again, assist trophy.

That was the point I knew I was never, ever going to use assist trophies. Seeing the characters I wanted most on stage, but knowing I could never play them. Nope. I'd rather them not be in the game at all.

I wouldn't want Lyn as a Lucina alt, her playstyle should be different and should include her bow.

They're two of my favorite Fire Emblem characters but they are quite different in style and personality, it would do them a disservice to lump them together.

Zubz

Banned
Master Hand is clearly Kamiya.

Also, I hate that I won't be able Ice Climbers in Smash 4. :c All the potential of what could have been in this new game.

I'd be down for it if it'd give Bayo and Wonder Red priority in future DLC/installments, right?

And about the Ice Climbers... is there, like, anyway we can get Sakurai's attention and let him know we hate roster disparity if it means characters get cut from both versions if they work perfectly in the superior/more-competitively viable one? Was it him or Reggie that acknowledged the petition to get Reggie into Smash (That I think made it. I know they're just going to use the Mii excuse, but the for-real deal'd be nice...)? Maybe flood Club Nintendo with surveys?

I would've been down with Hector, but Ike kind of fills that "heavy, big weapon fighter" niche.

I do wish Ike was an Axe user just for variations sake. We finally get a magic user in Robin but even s/he defaults back to his/her Levin Sword.

What really would have been nice if custom moves allowed for a change of weapons, just like how FE chars can wield diff types of weapons.

I do wish Ike was an Axe user just for variations sake. We finally get a magic user in Robin but even s/he defaults back to his/her Levin Sword.

What really would have been nice if custom moves allowed for a change of weapons, just like how FE chars can wield diff types of weapons.

Yeah, I would like some variation in weapons, too. I wouldn't have minded Ephraim.

SuperSah

Banned
I'd be down for it if it'd give Bayo and Wonder Red priority in future DLC/installments, right?

And about the Ice Climbers... is there, like, anyway we can get Sakurai's attention and let him know we hate roster disparity if it means characters get cut from both versions if they work perfectly in the superior/competitively viable one? Was it him or Reggie that acknowledged the petition to get Reggie into Smash (That I think made it. I know they're just going to use the Mii excuse, but the for-real deal'd be nice...)? Maybe flood Club Nintendo with surveys?

Psst, 3DS is competitively viable.

Tenck

This parity stuff is so bad. One of the negatives of a handheld is the lack of power compared to a dedicated home console. People who wanted Smash on 3DS should know that. It sucks for the people who wanted Ice Climbers, and I wouldn't hold it against Nintendo if they added more characters into Wii U version.

If they were all but finished and only the roster parity held them back there's no real reason to let them sit either. Money is still money.

I think it's highly unlikely that they have a complete character with animations, model and Nana's AI when they must have had issues implementing them in the 3DS version pretty early on.

FSLink

Banned
If Chrom were in I would have loved if he could switch from Falchion and a Javelin or something.

As far as Hector...give him a FE Lord moveset, but his design from FE6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom