• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moonlight

Banned
I wouldn't want Lyn as a Lucina alt, her playstyle should be different and should include her bow.

They're two of my favorite Fire Emblem characters but they are quite different in style and personality, it would do them a disservice to lump them together.
Lyn would probably work best as a light and fast clone of Ike with a buffed Draw and Marth's Iai Counter or something. If she had to be a clone of some kind.

Moonlight pls when is the Anna avatar returning
I'll give it another week!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
If Chrom were in I would have loved if he could switch from Falchion and a Javelin or something.

As far as Hector...give him a FE Lord moveset, but his design from FE6.

I always thought, when Chrom was rumored, that he could use the weapon triangle as his gimmick...

Light-weight lance
Medium-weight sword
Heavy-weight axe (yeah, he can't use one, but still)

Maybe the next Fire Emblem Lord can have that?

NeonZ

I wonder how the rights of SMT x FE will be handled... Unless it has been canceled, that's likely the next FE related game we'll see.

I always thought, when Chrom was rumored, that he could use the weapon triangle as his gimmick...

Maybe the next Fire Emblem Lord can have that?

It won't happen if they keep transformations away from the game. A fighting style change would be pretty much a transformation.

I think, given what we know for alt characters, the best case scenario for Fire Emblem would have been to have Lucina as an alt for Marth with Roy as a Doctor Mario-esque clone. With the updates he was going to get in Brawl. Keeping his neutral b the same from Melee would make him different from Marth.

Lucina could have been an alt. Roy could not be, and I think the best option would have been to bring Roy back, with Lucina as an alt costume. I think it would have sat better with people who hate the clones in the roster and Roy is still requested as a returning vet, despite not being popular in his own series at all.

Roy and Lucina couldn't both be in or Fire Emblem would have had too many characters, 2 of which were clones. That doesn't sound appropriate for a series of Fire Emblem's size.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Smash totally needs a FE archer. They should be true to the games and have no hitboxes anywhere in their general vicinity but be able to do damage to opponents across the stage, have piss poor recovery, and generally suck.

So what is the difference between Lucina and Marth besides the lack of a tipper? She just seems like a worse version.

That seems to be it, but it seems like she might actually be better. I don't think I've read a single impression that said she was worse, either the player disliked both, or they preferred Lucina over Marth. Apparently anything from Marth other than tippers are basically wasted attacks that will be punished due to their high end lag, whereas Lucina will deal decent knockback/damage regardless of where she hits. She's more reliable, and her knockback/damage is apparently not that much worse than Marth's tippers. Not enough to make things up in his favor at least.

I haven't played them though, that's just the gist of what I've read. I expected her to be a crappier Marth, so it's surprising to me that she might end up being preferred. IIRC during that tournament a couple days ago Lucina was picked over Marth for the reasons I mentioned above.

Berordn

I think it's highly unlikely that they have a complete character with animations, model and Nana's AI when they must have had issues implementing them in the 3DS version pretty early on.

Given how much they're clearly able to import from Brawl, I don't think that it's unlikely at all. If they just need a minor brush-up and some QA to get them up and running in the Wii U version then it's just money left on the table. It might not be as much money if they could get them up on both, but you're being silly if you think Smash Bros. DLC won't sell just because it breaks parity.

y'all need ephraim in your lives
XEJvCmD.gif

Smash totally needs a FE archer. They should be true to the games and have no hitboxes anywhere in their general vicinity but be able to do damage to opponents across the stage, have piss poor recovery, and generally suck.

:lol

so I assume it comes with a Shinon custom set to make it decent?

In a multiplayer game? Pausing? There would be problems.

But... you've been able to since the first Smash. My roommate made the same argument, but really, how much different would it be than a Smash match on a big TV? You're both looking at the same thing, just on a different screen.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Severe lack of Nephenee on this page.

But yeah, we really just need a Fire Emblem fighting game.

Nephenee can't be in Smash because she's too OP. Especially if she has a custom set to give her a Vantage skill so at high percents she can just 1HKO everyone before they touch her :D

Zubz

Banned
Severe lack of Nephenee on this page.

But yeah, we really just need a Fire Emblem fighting game.

I'd be down for that. Pokemon gets Tekken, so maybe Fire Emblem gets Soul Calibur? Or Fire Emblem vs. Persona 4 Arena if SMTxFE's still happening?

Golnei

I'd be down for that. Pokemon gets Tekken, so maybe Fire Emblem gets Soul Calibur? Or Fire Emblem vs. Persona 4 Arena if SMTxFE's still happening?

Perhaps they cancelled SMTxFE in favour of Awakening vs. Persona. It'd be significantly more marketable, at least.

kimtish

Neo Member
Look guys, I love FE but the characters are easily the least enjoyable part.

For the most part they are largely archetypes that get filled by a different face in each game.

Given how much they're clearly able to import from Brawl, I don't think that it's unlikely at all. If they just need a minor brush-up and some QA to get them up and running in the Wii U version then it's just money left on the table. It might not be as much money if they could get them up on both, but you're being silly if you think Smash Bros. DLC won't sell just because it breaks parity.

But the Ice Climbers don't work on a fundamental level and were most likely scrapped very early in development. The models and animations on the fighters are all of much higher quality than in Brawl too. How would importing them significantly reduce the workload?

I also never said that Wii U exclusive DLC wouldn't sell but if you have a set amount of time and money, there aren't many reasons not to use it on something you can sell to 3DS users too and reach more than double the potential customers.

Berordn

But the Ice Climbers don't work on a fundamental level and were most likely scrapped very early in development. The models and animations on the fighters are all of much higher quality than in Brawl too. How would importing them significantly reduce the workload?

I also never said that Wii U exclusive DLC wouldn't sell but if you have a set amount of time and money, there aren't many reasons not to use it on something you can sell to 3DS users too and reach more than double the potential customers.

They're characters who are conceptually complete, already have animations, effects and likely a lot of the AI from the previous games to work with. They'd need an art pass and redone models just like everything else, but having Brawl's assets at the base (and being a character that already has all their moves and abilities designed from previous games) saves significant time over someone you're developing for the first inclusion in the game.

If they were running on the Wii U version at any point, even if it was just a test concept using Brawl's assets and logic, then it really is pointless to let them sit. Plus that's all hinging on if the 3DS version gets DLC in the first place which it might not be designed to support, or they may just not be interested in pushing. MK7's sold more than double what MK8 has but even with updates to it, it never got DLC support and MK8's already getting half a game's worth of content exclusively for it. There's more factors at play than just audience.

Pyrokai

Hey guys, is it confirmed that there will be more/different items, Assist Trophies, and Poke Balls in the Wii U version than the 3DS version?

Makai

Whoever tried to join just now should try again. We're doing 1v1s so make an account and let us know in the stream.

Golnei

Really what we need is a Fire Emblem Musou, why Zelda gets one and Fire Emblem crosses over with SMT boggles my mind.

Aside from the limited appeal of the FE brand, a Zelda musou was probably considered primarily because it didn't fit perfectly with the genre. Like Pokken, it stands to profit from disparate demographics and may expand the userbase of both parties involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom