• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Smash Bros. for 3DS |OT| It's out in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crayolan

I've always wondered how Paper Mario would work if he made it in. Would Sakurai give him a moveset based on his TTYD transformations, his partners, or *shudders* stickers?

Paper Mario would have so much potential.

You could even have an entire moveset without even using any partners, though that wouldn't be very faithful to the games.

B+up=Parakarry flies you with a bit of vertical distance and a lot of horizontal distance, in a similar fashion to Duck Hunt. OR have Lakilester put you in his cloud and do basically the same thing, maybe with some more vertical distance.

B+side=Throw Bobbery or Bombette and have them walk forward until the next time you press b or automatically after a few seconds. OR send out Koops along the ground with a boomerang effect and long range, just like in the games.

B+down=Have Vivian pull you into the darkness to dodge an attack. Maybe if an opponent is right on top of you, you can also pull them into the darkness and deal a good amount of damage before tossing them away. It could also be effective for pulling you down to the ground quickly from in midair.

Neutral B=Possibly have Watt appear and shock the area right around you? Or use Barry's abilities and knock away other players and projectiles. OR have Goombella/Goombario pop up and headbonk the area directly in front of you.

Grab could use Thoreau

Side and Down Smashes could use the hammer. You could maybe even have hammer throw as a smash attack.

Up Smash could be a charged super jump which would actually launch you upwards and set up potential combos.

Tilts could mostly use the hammer other than dair, which would probably be a ground pound.

And when he dodges he could roll up into cylinder form.

That's a lazily thought up moveset and I'm sure you could add Sticker Star stuff to it too. It's pretty crazy to me that Paper Mario still isn't in Smash, IMO he should've got into Brawl.

Was Mrs. Pac-man mentioned in the trophies? What are Pac-man related trophies? I mean Sonic has his friends...

PacMan has the 4 Ghosts, the set of Ghosts, scared Ghost, Power Pellet, the Hydrant, the items he summons from B and PacMaze and technically these
Pooka
Boss Galaga
Special Flag
Bacura

georly

PacMan has the 4 Ghosts, the set of Ghosts, scared Ghost, Power Pellet, the Hydrant, the items he summons from B and PacMaze and technically these
Pooka
Boss Galaga
Special Flag
Bacura

Special flag was not listed in the pac-man category for me. It was listed under a category with no icon, where takamaru and the dig dug enemies were.

Where did you get it from? WHO IS STEALING OUR STUFF! :p

I was very late to the thread so I didn't notice it in here at first but a friend must have stole it from someone who stole it from (insert long ass chain of people stolen from) *breathes heavily* who stole it from gaf and gave it to me.

Special flag was not listed in the pac-man category for me. It was listed under a category with no icon, where takamaru and the dig dug enemies were.

Yeah I said technically since they are Namco stuff

Edit: Found syn Sophia in the credits
So guess one of the trophies missing is from Style Savvy

FZZ

Banned
Do you guys know how Yoshi is this time around? All the streams I've seen and comments about the game haven't touched on him yet.

Do you guys know how Yoshi is this time around? All the streams I've seen and comments about the game haven't touched on him yet.

He's top-tier.

OK, that's a bit hyperbolic, but this game pretty much fixed all of his weaknesses from the previous entries. He's great, from what I've heard.

georly

So w/ smash selling 1 million copies already at roughly $52 bucks a copy (according to my bank statement: $52.51), how close do you think it is to making its money back already, for BOTH versions combined? What do you think the budget was for smash?

FZZ

Banned
He's top-tier.

OK, that's a bit hyperbolic, but this game pretty much fixed all of his weaknesses from the previous entries. He's great, from what I've heard.

He was in the Tourney Locator tournament stream thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJesTn3HfdA

(That's the first video I found on Google, but there should be more if you look around the related ones)

He seems better.

Thank you both.

Also this makes me really happy Yoshi has been my main since I started playing smash.

So w/ smash selling 1 million copies already at roughly $52 bucks a copy (according to my bank statement: $52.51), how close do you think it is to making its money back already, for BOTH versions combined? What do you think the budget was for smash?

It must have been high seeing as how Capcom is so desperate for cash.

Tenck

Ahaha such a fun game against a Little Mac as Little Mac. I feel like the only way I'll enjoy playing Little Mac is to just play against someone once, leave the match, and play someone else. Too many people try to counterpick.

He's so fun once you're up against people who aren't going to juggle you.

lol dude wait for the end of the year and combined 3DS+Wii U sales at least

georly

lol dude wait for the end of the year and combined 3DS+Wii U sales at least

Well, of COURSE it will make its money back then. I'd just like to know if on ONE VERSION in ONE REGION they're already making most of their money back. One million sales in 2 days is pretty impressive for any game.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It's sad the basic idea of a 3DS Version is now being treated as the worse thing ever.

I imagine it's a godsend for a lot of kids who can't afford, or have room, for the console version.

Jaeger

It's sad the basic idea of a 3DS Version is now being treated as the worse thing ever.

I imagine it's a godsend for a lot of kids who can't afford, or have room, for the console version.

Where is this happening at? I'm glad it exist, tbh. The fact it plays so well is a testament to Sakurai's skill.

Kinsei

Banned

The existence of the 3DS version isn't the problem, it's the asinine roster parity that is.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I'd happily trade Ice Climbers for Smash 3DS any day.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't think the roster parity is a bad idea, though.

It's a shame the Ice Climbers were cut though due to technical problems, but I don't think the basic premise of both games having the same characters was a bad idea.

I know for me, a Wii U is a bit out of my budget currently, because of financial obligations towards rent/transportation/school. The 3DS version being a thing is greatly welcomed, at least for me.

I'll still be buying the Wii U version though, but only so I can get the soundtrack through Club Nintendo.

Neiteio

I wonder what Sakurai's mentality is here. Was he worried that the presence of the Ice Climbers in one version (WiiU) would be a visual reminder of the weakness of the other (3DS)? That seems unlikely, since he's come straight out and said technical limitations were at fault. So is it some sense of obligation to people who might only be able to afford the 3DS version, wanting them to not feel like they've missed out, especially if they were previously an Ice Climbers main? I can kind of understand that, but I still think the vast majority of players would prefer the Ice Climbers exist in some capacity. It'd also be a nice bonus for the WiiU version, softening the $20 price difference and the fact it comes out 1-2 months later. And really, an incentive to buy a WiiU couldn't hurt the console's situation right now...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what Sakurai's mentality is here. Was he worried that the presence of the Ice Climbers in one version (WiiU) would be a visual reminder of the weakness of the other (3DS)? That seems unlikely, since he's come straight out and said technical limitations were at fault. So is it some sense of obligation to people who might only be able to afford the 3DS version, wanting them to not feel like they've missed out, especially if they were previously an Ice Climbers main? I can kind of understand that, but I still think the vast majority of players would prefer the Ice Climbers exist in some capacity. It'd also be a nice bonus for the WiiU version, softening the $20 price difference and the fact it comes out 1-2 months later. And really, an incentive to buy a WiiU couldn't hurt the console's situation right now...

The quote posted earlier basically made it sound like he wanted people to have the same experience regardless of which version they got. Which is kind of silly, because the stages and modes are different between the two games, the experience is inherently different.

Watch Da Birdie

We don't know it's exactly Sakurai who called for the roster parity.

Nintendo are the ones who wanted two games, iirc. I imagine they probably wanted both games to have the same characters.

But if it was Sakurai's decision, I just think it was the same reasoning as Brawl. He just did what he thought would make the most people happy (and we don't know he was necessarily wrong in that regard), it's just his idea of what makes people happy doesn't align with everyone.

Well, we have Smash 5 to see Ice Climbers again. Unlike Mewtwo, I think their return is more or less guaranteed as soon as technology allows. And I imagine they will present them as a triumphant return to the series, probably one of the earliest character revealed.

Watch Da Birdie

Well, we have Smash 5 to see Ice Climbers again. Unlike Mewtwo, I think their return is more or less guaranteed as soon as technology allows. And I imagine they will present them as a triumphant return to the series, probably one of the earliest character revealed.

Yeah, the good thing is the next Nintendo handheld will surely be able to handle Ice Climbers, Transformations, etc.

And if Nintendo does a unified console-handheld like rumored, we won't have to worry.

A shame one Smash might not be all that it can be due to Sakurai experimenting, but I imagine in retrospect once more people actually get both games the dual experience will be viewed more fondly in hindsight. Unless the Wii U version really lacks in extras.

georly

So is there an alert when you unlock all of something? All the characters, stages, music, trophies, Mii costumes, etc?

Yup, at least for all characters and stages. An exclamation point pops up w/ the time and date (which is recorded forever!) to let you know that you unlocked everything. There is also a challenge associated for doing so.

I assume the same is true for the rest (I know there's one for all customization options, I think).

Sopo on 3DS

Ice Climbers on Wii U

It's so EASY Sakurai

Two different characters with playstyles that don't transfer over (if you main sopo on 3DS you cant play climbers on Wii U because they're not the same). Not saying it's right, but it's likely their philosophy. Not to mention some people might want sopo on wii u and vice versa.

Sopo on 3DS

Ice Climbers on Wii U

It's so EASY Sakurai

Yea, I thought about this too. I think it would have worked, but I don't know if he'd want different balance on the two versions, since essentially it's a unique character for each version.

Maybe they could have did something crazy like have them be 8-bit on the 3DS, but full modeled on the Wii U with the 8-bit as a alt skin.

Yeah, the good thing is the next Nintendo handheld will surely be able to handle Ice Climbers, Transformations, etc.

And if Nintendo does a unified console-handheld like rumored, we won't have to worry.

A shame one Smash might not be all that it can be due to Sakurai experimenting, but I imagine in retrospect once more people actually get both games the dual experience will be viewed more fondly in hindsight. Unless the Wii U version really lacks in extras.
I'm glad transformations are gone. I think the series is better with every character being unique and their own. Pokemon trainer was hindered by the swap mechanic, and Zelda/Samus weren't fairly balanced with their other form.

Axass

I'd happily trade Ice Climbers for Smash 3DS any day.

Fact is, that was never an option. There's a fallacy in that reasoning.

The Ice Climbers weren't cut due to the 3DS version existing, they were cut because Sakurai and Iwata decided that roster parity had to be a thing.

So we could've had easily both the 3DS version and the Ice Climbers.

MAtgS

Note mine but,
BxjmH0SCYAABGFG.jpg

tumblr_nbvdtfqBQs1rfcry9o1_1280.jpg

Mistle

It's probably just easier to have roster unity between the games.

Adding IC requires the whole cast to be balanced with them in mind. That would mean the 3DS and Wii U version would need different balancing, rather that what I'd assume is identical balance between the two version.

TheOGB

Banned
I'll remember Ice Climbers for their sacrifice, but Smash on the go is way too good to pass up.

Fact is, that was never an option. There's a fallacy in that reasoning.

The Ice Climbers weren't cut due to the 3DS version existing, they were cut because Sakurai and Iwata decided that roster parity had to be a thing.

So we could've had easily both the 3DS version and the Ice Climbers.
I will continue to think of it the other way to remember the Ice Climbers as heroes

Axass

Yup, at least for all characters and stages. An exclamation point pops up w/ the time and date (which is recorded forever!) to let you know that you unlocked everything. There is also a challenge associated for doing so.

I assume the same is true for the rest (I know there's one for all customization options, I think).

For the Assist Trophies too.

I see layton as more of a sword fighter, honestly. Pretty sure he fights with one in a game's cutscene.

Yep, in Diabolical/Pandora's Box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom